Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2021, 18:58   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Damn, I would have swapped the rubbish OEM tyres right away if it weren't for my kid brother's "granddad" style of driving.
I would still recommend doing so since your tyres are new. A good set would improve braking & ride comfort too whilst keeping you happy the odd day behind the wheel.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 20:46   #767
BHPian

Quote:
As I am slowly & slowly increasing the revs, I'm realising that the stock tyres are absolute RUBBISH. Because I drive every new car launched in India, I can also tell you that the Superb has perhaps the worst OEM tyres of any car (it's definitely at the bottom of the pile). The tyres are losing grip even in sudden bursts up to 3500 - 4000 rpm. And I haven't even gotten to 7000 rpm on my car yet.
This is my 1st experience with a premium car, so don't really have any other reference when I say this. I'm at 2700 kms now. Was patient till 1500 kms and have been pushing really hard ever since on highways. Speedometer came close to its final numbers, few close calls leading to sudden change of lanes and emergency braking at very high speeds. So far so good. Tyres have lived up to the car's name. I am yet to go past 4.5k RPM.

I was expecting the FE to drop below 5, surprised to see 10.5 kmpl at the end of the trip. This is where the Superb shows it's class and makes a clear statement - I am meant to be on the highways & not in crowded streets.

Couple of things that I did to keep FE up - ECO mode & upshifted to M7 after 80 kmph.

Query on the TPMS - Set once and forget or set TPMS at the start of every trip ?
vinu_h is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 00:44   #768
BHPian

Quote:
As I am slowly & slowly increasing the revs, I'm realising that the stock tyres are absolute RUBBISH. Because I drive every new car launched in India, I can also tell you that the Superb has perhaps the worst OEM tyres of any car (it's definitely at the bottom of the pile). The tyres are losing grip even in sudden bursts up to 3500 - 4000 rpm. And I haven't even gotten to 7000 rpm on my car yet. I saw the TC icon lighting up at just 3500 rpm this afternoon.
Yes, now that you said it, I realize now why I felt my car get unsettled during a moment of sudden braking.

Have just crossed the 1500km run-in marker and started revving beyond 3K. In one such instance when I had to brake a little harder than usual, I felt the rear losing grip.

But what an amazing engine this 2.0L TSI is.

On a separate note - wrt the Auto Start/Stop functionality, does anyone have any views wrt the Auto Stop cutting off the engine even though car has not come to a standstill? Almost always, while going over a speed bump, the engine cuts off - though the speed is still ~ 5 or 6 Km/hr and then starts soon as you press on the accelerator. This seems to be (1) very annoying (2) worried about long term starter motor failure sooner than the norm.

Thoughts or observations?
SanjuInGgn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 01:37   #769
BHPian

Quote:
As I am slowly & slowly increasing the revs, I'm realising that the stock tyres are absolute RUBBISH.
In case you upgrade to new tyres do let us know your choice and feedback
Old 21st April 2021, 08:46   #770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
On a separate note - wrt the Auto Start/Stop functionality, does anyone have any views wrt the Auto Stop cutting off the engine even though car has not come to a standstill?
I keep it turned off. At a traffic signal, I turn it back on only if the timer is >20 secs and the car interior is cool enough. If the wait time is really long or there's a jam etc, I turn off the engine entirely and turn on the REST feature. While it's meant to bring in hot air, I've only observed ambient temp coming in.
vinu_h is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:08   #771
BHPian

I would like to ask a sincere question to all the Superb owners. Let's say you are looking for a 99% driver driven car. Budget is not a criteria, can be a Honda City ZX CVT Hybrid or HRV or CRV or Camry Hybrid or Merc E or Superb or even a Tesla Model Y if it came.

Now criteria most important are:
1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service
4. Ease of use and ease of maintenance
5. Fuel Efficiency as its driver driven
6. Badge value is not considered neither is status value

Honda is preferable but hybrid variant which there is no information yet, EV preferable but no information yet on Tesla, Camry is crazy expensive and new version there is no information yet, since lot of new Superb's are sold currently: GTO, sbenstewart, etc etc, what are your valued opinions. There is no hurry for change, can wait even 6 months. Superb is good but biggest consideration is horrendous Skoda image of after sales and service and reliability.
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:13   #772
Team-BHP Support

^^
Look no further than Camry or the ES. I can’t see anything from your list missing with either of these. Superb is a nice car but you can avoid given your priorities listed.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 20:16   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I would like to ask a sincere question to all the Superb owners. Let's say you are looking for a 99% driver driven car. Budget is not a criteria, can be a Honda City ZX CVT Hybrid or HRV or CRV or Camry Hybrid or Merc E or Superb or even a Tesla Model Y if it came.

1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service

Honda is preferable but hybrid variant which there is no information yet, EV preferable but no information yet on Tesla, Camry is crazy expensive and new version there is no information yet, since lot of new Superb's are sold currently: GTO, sbenstewart, etc etc, what are your valued opinions. There is no hurry for change, can wait even 6 months. Superb is good but biggest consideration is horrendous Skoda image of after sales and service and reliability.
Reliability and after sales seems to be of paramount importance to you. I would blindly suggest the Camry Hybrid in that case. The extra cost you pay will feel worth it in the longer run with the after sales and the better reliability taken into account.

The Superb is a gem of a car no doubt, but it's still an unproven cutting edge 2.0 Turbo petrol paired to an equally new DSG gearbox. I would surely wait before passing any verdicts on its reliability. Skoda's after sales has improved but it's not a patch on Toyota in my opinion.

I own a German myself and I do agree that they are well engineered, solid and in the case of the Superb very VFM cars. But spotless ownership experience and bulletproof reliability (especially when it comes to petrols) is not their forte.
vishy76 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 23:21   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
^^
Look no further than Camry or the ES. I can’t see anything from your list missing with either of these. Superb is a nice car but you can avoid given your priorities listed.
I already have the ES in a stunning blue shade in the garage. Its a stunner of a car, love it.
Old 23rd April 2021, 00:02   #775
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service

Your priorities seem to scream Camry but you seem to gravitate towards the value proposition that Superb offers. This, despite saying that budget is not a concern
If it truly isn’t a concern, buy the Camry. Else go for the Superb. I had the same dilemma and Viddy had added CR V to the cocktail making it more confusing Fortunately Honda cleared the confusion by stopping sales of CRV and We eventually bought Camry in Jan’21.

Facelifted Camry should be launched in another 6 months time, if not earlier.

Cheers
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 00:56   #776
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I already have the ES in a stunning blue shade in the garage.Its a stunner of a car, love it.
Oh, so for a change you should consider the 6 series. I can safely say, most of the new BMWs will be trouble free, not to Toyota levels but definitely better than VW/ Skoda. If you love to drive occasionally, this will be an added advantage over the relatively boring Camry/ ES. But this car is new and BMW dealerships may not give discounts.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 06:22   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

99% driver driven car.

Budget is not a criteria,

can be a Honda City ZX CVT Hybrid or HRV or CRV or Camry Hybrid or Merc E or Superb or even a Tesla Model Y if it came.

1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service

Camry is crazy expensive

There is no hurry for change, can wait even 6 months..
Quote:
I already have the ES.
The above are the key takeaways I noted from your quoted posts.

My two cents: you should consider either the updated 2021 Camry or the petrol E class.

2021 Camry

When you have a completely open budget, I am taking the liberty to read words like “expensive” and “fuel efficient” in context.

Personally, the Camry is hands down the choice that ticks all your boxes. The only disadvantage is you already have the plusher version of it, the ES so its an overlapping experience. The FE will be unparalleled good and as for expensive, that will be more than made up in the hybrid efficiency combined with lower upkeep cost compared to (IMO) an alternative like the.6 series or the E class. The cars are built to last, luxurious, and have the ability to last you a decade and more if you wish. For all those reasons, I don’t think the upfront premium is something you should be unduly concerned with.

E 200

If you want to step up the “luxury quotient” a couple of notches, the petrol powered E 200 is the perfect purchase. It is hands down comfortable and luxurious. It can be driven sedately to deliver acceptable fuel economy I hope. And there will always be a sense of occasion when you sit back in that back seat. Much more than what the 6 GT offers in terms of direct comparison. I believe as luxury cars go, BMWs closely followed by Mercedes are reliable enough and offer a reasonably predicable cost of ownership. Yes - its luxury cost of ownership. Buy a solid long term warranty and a superb FNG for post warranty and there’s no reason you can’t own the E class for 8-10 years. Time it right and hopefully you should be able to wrangle a great deal as well both on the cost of car as well as financing terms if you’re lucky.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd April 2021 at 06:24.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:29   #778
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2 bits:

First choice:
Toyota Camry in Burning Black or Red Mica: Rock solid, reliable, spacious, excellent fuel efficiency, amazing looks (in these colours), excellent resale.
Refer photos from the Camry thread:

Burning Black:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-img20200222wa0005_1.jpg

Red Mica:
Skoda Superb : Official Review-photo20200301095954.jpg

Alternatives:
BMW 320Ld: New launch, sterling quality (especially in the L versions), very reliable (diesel), spacious, excellent fuel efficiency in diesel, amazing looks (in these colours), reasonable resale.

Skoda Superb L&K 2.0 TSI: Spacious and high quality overall. Fuel efficiency a question in B2B MUmbai traffic though.
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 09:55   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Reliability
2. Space
3. After Sales Service
Since you already have the ES, Camry is the same car underneath so there wouldn't be much difference in the performance/efficiency department. Yesterday I saw a video of EvoIndia's drive from Bangalore to Kanyakumari on Earth Day in the Camry and they got an Alto-rivalling mileage of 23.5Kmpl for the entire 700kms!

Since 99% of the times the car is going to be chauffer-driven look no further than the Mercedes-Benz E200, the back seat is the best in the business. But if you will also drive say on weekends then better look at the BMW 630i, which has a much better petrol engine as compared to the E200.

Although check out the Superb as well, has an excellent back seat and is Rs15 Lakh cheaper than the Camry. Skoda service is much better now, these days don't see anymore DSG failures as well. DQ381 of the Superb is much better in terms of reliability compared to the older DQ200. I had test-driven the Superb back in 2015 with the 1.8TSi + DSG, the backseat space and performance really blew me away, haven't driven the 2L TSi but surely it will fly on the open roads. Also if boot-space is concerned nothing can beat the Superb here!

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 23rd April 2021 at 10:02.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 14:11   #780
BHPian

Guys! I came across this video on the Skoda India Group on facebook. The video featured real time parameter display on the infotainment screen through My Skoda app. Has any one here tried it? I can't figure the working despite trying a couple of times. My Skoda app in my case just shows trip planner and service partner tabs.
Thank you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks