Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2022, 22:13   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelerar View Post
My Innova Crysta 2.4 Z delivery is expected this week. I finalized on some accessories and was checking with Dealer for Audio upgrade options (I want to retain the ICE but upgrade speakers, tweeters, amplifiers and sub woofer).

1) Is it worthwhile to get such an update at Dealer at this price point?
2) Is it okay to get the upgrade done outside which might offer reasonable pricing? Are there some references available where such an upgrade was done for Innova Crysta?
I would recommend to get upgrade done at a reputed installer outside. Dealer won't offer more than a year warranty on equipment and if you end up visiting another dealer, there is good chance to deny electrical warranty on car. Crysta is a simple car and Audio upgrade should not be a hassle. While the stock unit is slick and simple, it cannot handle aftermarket things quite well. Invest in a good HU to have great listening experience.

P.S: I am not an audiophile by any means, but few suggestions based on my experience.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:59   #2942
Senior - BHPian

We test drove the Innova Crysta and the Fortuner over the weekend, both diesel automatic and we were absolutely blown away with how amazing an Innova is, let me do a quick comparo of the both

1) The ride quality of the Innova is carpet, Fortuner felt like I was in some jumping ride in a theme park. My mom and dad sitting the rear seat did not like the Fortuner one bit, on the other hand, they loved the ride quality of the Innova.

2) Handling - The Fortuner felt not confidence inspiring at relatively slower speeds like 80-90 too on the eastern freeway, compare that to that Innova even at triple digits felt like how I feel in my Swift, planted and amazing.

3) Power Delivery: The Innova's engine felt more free revving, the gear shifts were seamless, I could not even figure the gears have changed. Putting the foot down, the gears downshifted and the car just propelled ahead. Fortuner on the other hand too felt very powerful, but somehow the engine did not feel as free revving as the Innova, also the gearshifts were noticeable sometimes.

4) The interiors of the Fortuner are much better than the Innova.

Before the test drive, I thought my heart would go head over heels for the Fortuner but after the test drive, all of us felt in love with the Innova, absolute love.

Now the hard part of getting the finances together.
humyum is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:20   #2943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshnag75 View Post
I am appending a list of stuff that I think will be useful, the rates as as in the Toyota website.
DOOR EDGE PROTECTOR P61740K002A1 ₹850
REAR BIKE PROTECTOR P69630K002 ₹7,770
BUMPER CORNER PROTECTOR P61770K002 ₹870
MUD GUARD P63890K001A0 ₹2,110
FLOOR MATS, FABRIC, PREMIUM (AT) P62100K004 ₹4,100
TRUNK MAT, FABRIC P62100K001 ₹480
CAR CUSHION PZ0100D621A0 ₹510
3D FLOOR MAT AT P62100K00R ₹3,640
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System GA3110K004 ₹3,540
Digital Video Recorder GA3110K005 ₹7,230
Can you please provide the link where the toyota website has rates for their accessories, I found the brochure but it doesnt have price mentioned for the accessories.
sreejinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:44   #2944
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed 360 degree camera from Toyota dealership recently? They are quoting 35K for a company called DHC. Is this worth the price?

Here is the latest accessories list for Crysta.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-adobe-scan-30-mar-2022-1_1.jpg  

Last edited by poloman : 30th March 2022 at 10:54.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2022, 10:42   #2945
Distinguished - BHPian

I find that after covering around 15k kms the mileage has somewhat increased. These days I'm managing 11-13 even in mixed traffic which otherwise was between 9-11 even in light traffic. However on the highways too it remains in the 12-14 band itself but I must admit its never driven in an economy focused manner. What is insane is that if you manage to cruise in sixth gear, the FE returned is higher even at speeds of 110 or so. In that way, I realised that 80kmph puts the car in fifth most of the time and this isn't very efficient. And this is in normal mode and not in Eco.

Had a highway drive last weekend from Bangalore - Chikmagalur - Sringeri - Shimoga - Bangalore. Sat in the middle seat for a while and I can easily claim that the ride comfort is unmatched. The car was loaded with six people and in the sweltering heat of these places engine was on most of the time. AC works effortlessly and keeps the car cool. Got an average FE of 12.5kmpl end to end.

One issue I noticed is that the tyres were giving up on the ghats when coming down and taking curves. Of course this is a 2400kg mass when loaded and the speed was almost at a discomforting level for passengers But I thought the tyres were soft and might be grippy. At 17k kms of not so sedate driving the brake pads have life left in them. I normally would consume brake pads every 12-14k kms on the SX4. Considering the Crysta is close to twice the weight, automatic with reduced engine braking, and brake discs of similar size, the life is pretty good. But I would have liked them to be a bit sharper.

Due to the conditions of drive, the DPF did not have to trigger regeneration for more than 550kms which otherwise would normally happen between 200-250kms. Especially the return drive from Shimoga to Bangalore via Chitradurga which involved sustained driving at high speed. I'm sure the DPF would have been cleared of whatever it had so far.

That completes 17k kms in almost two years and we have been extremely happy with the purchase.
audioholic is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 01:01   #2946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Has anyone installed 360 degree camera from Toyota dealership recently? They are quoting 35K for a company called DHC. Is this worth the price?

Here is the latest accessories list for Crysta.
I have installed one 2 weeks ago from Nandi Toyota for 26500/- and it’s worth it. It’s the DHC one. Please ensure they are doing the calibration correctly first time. As for me it took two visits.
tirthankard77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 08:06   #2947
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5273030 (Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review)

For us, it came to 45k.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 13:28   #2948
BHPian

Here is the price list of the Innova Crysta from Ravindu Toyota, Bengaluru, WEF 1st April, 2022.

Toyota Innova Crysta : Official Review-innova-crysta-price-list-2022.png
dearchichi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 22:30   #2949
Senior - BHPian

I am new to Innova Crysta. So please excuse if this is a noob question.

How does ECO mode affect the air conditioning system? Today when I was driving the car, I could feel there is a continuous clicking sound like ac switching on and off with a minor increase or decrease in the RPM. Is this going to affect the AC performance or durability anyway in long term? This reminded me of KSRTC Volvo drivers switching the AC on and off every other minute to save fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirthankard77 View Post
I have installed one 2 weeks ago from Nandi Toyota for 26500/- and it’s worth it. It’s the DHC one. Please ensure they are doing the calibration correctly first time. As for me it took two visits.
Thanks. I decided against installing the 360 degree camera since I did not find it of much use. If you use the rear view mirrors in a careful way, this is not a must to have feature

Last edited by poloman : 5th April 2022 at 22:41.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 11:22   #2950
Senior - BHPian

I think there is more to this and I am starting to think this is not normal.
  • Idle the car
  • Switch on the AC
  • The Idle RPM goes up and down by may be 10rpm every 5 seconds or so with a clicking sound heard in the cabin.
Is this the magnetic clutch of the ac or something acting up? I am new to Innova and automatic climate system. There is no problem with cooling or anything else. So not sure is this normal or not? Can some Crysta owner check this and help me out?

Last edited by poloman : 6th April 2022 at 11:28.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 13:18   #2951
BHPian

Quote:
How does ECO mode affect the air conditioning system? Today when I was driving the car, I could feel there is a continuous clicking sound like ac switching on and off with a minor increase or decrease in the RPM. Is this going to affect the AC performance or durability anyway in long term?
Hey Poloman, in ECO mode the air conditioning is adjusted to maximize fuel economy as the AC shuts off at high engine load / low RPMs (not always though). Also, the clicking sound of the compressor seems normal and even after driving 29k kilometers on ECO, the air conditioning is intact in my 2018 Innova Crysta 2.4L.

Off topic but since I drive the stick shift variant of the Innova, I profitably rely on engine braking (with heel-toe downshifts and rev matching). In this regard, the compressor's switching ON while the RPMs fall, increases engine braking which consequently saves more fuel and of course, the brake pads.

Quote:
  • Idle the car
  • Switch on the AC
  • The Idle RPM goes up and down by may be 10rpm every 5 seconds or so with a clicking sound heard in the cabin.
Can some Crysta owner check this and help me out?
I can confirm that the ~+10 revs on the engine at idle occurs in my Innova too. Though the real cause seems elusive, I believe the +20% load on the engine due to the AC compressor running (measured over OBD) is possibly the reason why the ECU opens up the throttle a little for the engine to support the air conditioning (as well as the drive, if the vehicle is moving).
theGeekyLad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 13:36   #2952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekyLad View Post
Hey Poloman, in ECO mode the air conditioning is adjusted to maximize fuel economy as the AC shuts off at high engine load / low RPMs (not always though). Also, the clicking sound of the compressor seems normal and even after driving 29k kilometers on ECO, the air conditioning is intact in my 2018 Innova Crysta 2.4L.

Off topic but since I drive the stick shift variant of the Innova, I profitably rely on engine braking (with heel-toe downshifts and rev matching). In this regard, the compressor's switching ON while the RPMs fall, increases engine braking which consequently saves more fuel and of course, the brake pads.

I can confirm that the ~+10 revs on the engine at idle occurs in my Innova too. Though the real cause seems elusive, I believe the +20% load on the engine due to the AC compressor running (measured over OBD) is possibly the reason why the ECU opens up the throttle a little for the engine to support the air conditioning (as well as the drive, if the vehicle is moving).
Thanks theGeekyLad, I confirmed this with the neighboring Toyota service center. This was present in other cars as well. Even they have no clear idea why this is happening.
Old 6th April 2022, 15:20   #2953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
At 17k kms of not so sedate driving the brake pads have life left in them. I normally would consume brake pads every 12-14k kms on the SX4. Considering the Crysta is close to twice the weight, automatic with reduced engine braking, and brake discs of similar size, the life is pretty good. But I would have liked them to be a bit sharper.
I had a chuckle reading this. I recently completed 60K service of my 2.8Z Crysta (run 57K) and am still on my first set of brake pads! I tend to use engine braking more, by manually moving to sports mode when required. At 55K kms, I changed the stock tires to Michelin ST4 and couldn't be happier with its high speed performance, soft and silent ride, All in all, we are thoroughly enjoying our ownership, more than any other car, so much so that I sold my second car - a Jazz CVT as it had run only 12K kms in the last 4yrs and often overlooked for its big brother
mug:mush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 15:53   #2954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
  • Idle the car
  • Switch on the AC
Is this the magnetic clutch of the ac or something acting up? I am new to Innova and automatic climate system. There is no problem with cooling or anything else. So not sure is this normal or not? Can some Crysta owner check this and help me out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGeekyLad View Post
Looks like some Toyota thingy?

First noticed this in my uncle's '01 Qualis. Was mighty annoyed with the frequent ON/OFF of the compressor/fan(?). Then noticed the same in a first gen Innova. Thought it was some Asian market specific thing to save fuel and prevent load(?) on the engine.

Guess what, saw the same thing in an LC200 V6!!! Our Etios D takes it to another level. When idling or at low speeds it just keeps on switching the compressor/fan(?). Not to say, the fan sound is too high. When our car is approaching can hear the whirling fan sound way before we can hear the engine. Our F10D WagonR had the same, but less frequent. Haven't seen this in many other cars.

Last edited by DicKy : 6th April 2022 at 15:54.
DicKy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 15:59   #2955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mug:mush View Post
I had a chuckle reading this. I recently completed 60K service of my 2.8Z Crysta (run 57K) and am still on my first set of brake pads! I tend to use engine braking more, by manually moving to sports mode when required. At 55K kms, I changed the stock tires to Michelin ST4 and couldn't be happier with its high speed performance, soft and silent ride, All in all, we are thoroughly enjoying our ownership, more than any other car, so much so that I sold my second car - a Jazz CVT as it had run only 12K kms in the last 4yrs and often overlooked for its big brother
I changed my first set of brake pads at 1.08 lakh km.
Even then, three pads are just about fine but one was gone.

Of course, the car is used mainly for highway travel. City driving was only about 25%
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed