Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2020, 19:19   #3286
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon : Official Review

Iam looking to purchase Nexon in the next couple of weeks. Iam looking at Diesel XZ+ (S) or XZ+ (O) either in white or Blue (dual tone). Not a lot of price difference there between the S and O, but is the O really worth the extra cash ?

People who own the O variant, please help list out the pros for those additional features.

And in overall things, Iam not a fan of the things below,
1. Beeps above 120Kmph
2. Reduced volume while using rear view camera
3. Option to lock down the driving modes (my kid is constantly going to keep rotating the dial)
4. Handbrake in the wrong side
5. All digital instrument cluster
6. I'm 6.2 and the roof is a bit low, need to get used to the low roof and high floor ingress-egress
7. Ability to turn traction control (not that I would turn it off, but would be good to have)

I was able to catch these in the short test drive. Anything else that I need to know about ?
Old 13th October 2020, 22:35   #3287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh that looks really pleasant. For the first time in life I actually felt like owning an iPhone. Android auto looks pretty lame in comparison. Like a project made at some cheap online UI designing course.
Hello Reinhard, I am wondering whether there is any option in Nexon's stock infotainment system, to run the GPS navigation system without attaching any smartphone?

Thanks,
Old 13th October 2020, 22:56   #3288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
Hello Reinhard, I am wondering whether there is any option in Nexon's stock infotainment system, to run the GPS navigation system without attaching any smartphone?
No, unfortunately not possible mate. You see the system has no navigation software of its own at all. It just casts Android Auto screen. The navigation software actually runs on your screen all along. We just see it on the car's screen. Its fast becoming a standard solution as Android Auto and Apple CarPlay gain more acceptance and popularity daily.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 07:59   #3289
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramharis View Post
Iam looking to purchase Nexon in the next couple of weeks. Iam looking at Diesel XZ+ (S) or XZ+ (O) either in white or Blue (dual tone). Not a lot of price difference there between the S and O, but is the O really worth the extra cash ?
My brother is in the same boat. We see no value in booking the O variant unless there is an availability issue (long delivery period) for the S. He’ll go for the petrol though.
Old 15th October 2020, 20:06   #3290
BHPian

Quote:
And in overall things, Iam not a fan of the things below,
1. Beeps above 120Kmph
2. Reduced volume while using rear view camera
3. Option to lock down the driving modes (my kid is constantly going to keep rotating the dial)
I was able to catch these in the short test drive. Anything else that I need to know about ?
1. You are not alone. Ze Germans are more irritating - well all cars have it now
2. Can be changed via Settings. 'Music during Reverse Assist' and also adjust the MUSIC volume viz-a-viz the reverse assist volume
3. Keep the voice prompts on. You will be warned. There is no substitute for this - either the kid is not old enough to be on the front seat or you need to teach the kid basic driving etiquette & discipline.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 08:56   #3291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
2. Can be changed via Settings. 'Music during Reverse Assist' and also adjust the MUSIC volume viz-a-viz the reverse assist volume
3. Keep the voice prompts on. You will be warned. There is no substitute for this - either the kid is not old enough to be on the front seat or you need to teach the kid basic driving etiquette & discipline.
2.The sales guys did not mention that there is an option to do that. Good to know.
3.My kid is just 2 and extremely curious, he did not sleep the night they brought the car for a test drive. He wanted them to leave the car with us. Extremely fond of cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
My brother is in the same boat. We see no value in booking the O variant unless there is an availability issue (long delivery period) for the S. He’ll go for the petrol though.
I kinda like to have the option to be there even if I occasionally use it. But I like the trip analytics and vehicle live location tracking. Hope there is an option to save those travel details.

Last edited by ramharis : 16th October 2020 at 09:02. Reason: Adding another quote
ramharis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 11:46   #3292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
3.My kid is just 2 and extremely curious, he did not sleep the night they brought the car for a test drive. He wanted them to leave the car with us. Extremely fond of cars.
This is pretty much universal. All of us are in the same boat. However - at this age the kid just does not belong in the front seat. Please get a good child seat in the back. Make it a rule that the kid sits only in the back & is buckled up. He will protest of course for a while but then you are the authority. Enforce it & it will become habit. My son is buckled into his seat independently before I get into the driving seat. No exception - even for just a 2-3 km drive. Please be very rigid about this & ignore all the protests from your kid. It is extremely distracting & dangerous especially in what is a car capable of fast cruising on the highways. Kids in the back please.

Curiosity aside - the car's safety credentials are only going to work practically if we take all the necessary care from our side.
Reinhard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 20:43   #3293
BHPian

Quote:
This is pretty much universal. All of us are in the same boat. However - at this age the kid just does not belong in the front seat. Please get a good child seat in the back. Make it a rule that the kid sits only in the back & is buckled up. He will protest of course for a while but then you are the authority. Enforce it & it will become habit. My son is buckled into his seat independently before I get into the driving seat. No exception - even for just a 2-3 km drive. Please be very rigid about this & ignore all the protests from your kid. It is extremely distracting & dangerous especially in what is a car capable of fast cruising on the highways. Kids in the back please.

Curiosity aside - the car's safety credentials are only going to work practically if we take all the necessary care from our side.
Thank you for putting this in just as many words, as I could not conjure the right words without risking the tone, sounding rude or offensive. Thank you for presenting an important truth as a fact.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 10:01   #3294
BHPian

Hi All,
Need some info here. I have booked XMS petrol. Though it is VFM, some must have featured are missing. So wanted to know how these are managed.

1. Day/night IRVM - can it be added as a genuine accessory?
2. Touch screen ICE - Can it be retrofitted outside with good fit and finish since the position is weird.
3. Rearview camera -
Option 1: IRVM to double up as screen. Need not fiddle with stock HU.
Option 2: change the HU to touch screen. Not sure if there are any wires to be cut.

Keeping all this in mind is it worth to go for XZ+ as it's fully loaded or XZ which has the above covered.

Or it's ok to retrofit these on XMS and save some money.
sou_3749 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 11:15   #3295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sou_3749 View Post
Hi All,
Need some info here. I have booked XMS petrol. Though it is VFM, some must have featured are missing. So wanted to know how these are managed.
I'd always suggest you go for a higher variant with factory fit features rather then looking at the aftermarket. You will get the peace of mind, won't lose out on the warranty and nobody outside would be able to achieve OE level of fit and finish.
sodapop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 11:32   #3296
BHPian

Recently I noticed a design flaw in TATA NEXON pre-facelift model. I topped up the battery with distilled water few days back and after a long drive, found out that the battery fixing nylon strap was disintegrated due to the battery acid which came out during charging cycle. Although there was no overflow as such but few drops made the nylon strap to melt. In my previous car (Alto), the battery was fixed using a metal clamp but in Nexon ,it's fixed using a Nylon strap. I guess the battery would shake while driving so I have ordered the part from Boodmo because my nearest service center is around 75kms away. TATA may replace the part in warranty but due to my urgency I have ordered it online. I just wanted to highlight this issue in TBHP.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nexon : Official Review-screenshot_2020101811275971_21d7ae11b56d281f3d1eaf85000220e7.jpg  

Tata Nexon : Official Review-img20201018101416.jpg  

vijith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2020, 22:56   #3297
BHPian

Quote:
... I have booked XMS petrol. Though it is VFM, some must have featured are missing. So wanted to know how these are managed.

2. Touch screen ICE - Can it be retrofitted outside with good fit and finish since the position is weird.
3. Rearview camera -
Option 2: change the HU to touch screen. Not sure if there are any wires to be cut. ...
Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. I am also staring at similar confusions between XM and XZ. It seems OEM IRVM upgrade is almost plug-n-play and it cost less than 1k [1].

As mentioned by Reinhard, the stock touch-screen ICE of Nexon does not have any in-built navigation app. So one needs to attach a smartphone running the navigation app through Android Auto/Car Play. If so, one can use the phone itself for the navigation. Or am I missing something?

[As per Youtube] There are multiple android HU are available for Nexon with CAN Bus type plug-n-play connector. These are snug-fit for Nexon, do not require any wire-tapping, comes with pre-loaded Maps, and also detect the inputs from OEM buttons of XM variants. However, as far as the music quality is concerned, the Harman system of XM may still be better.

I am not sure about the rear view camera. Can anyone please comment on: how good are the parking sensors of Nexon in real life?

I enjoy doing a bit of DIY modification in my car. So I am thinking to go with the XM variant, without stretching my budget. However, I am bit confused about the fog lights. I would prefer to have them but not sure what is the best way to get them in XM variant.

Quote:
No, unfortunately not possible mate. You see the system has no navigation software of its own at all.
Thanks Reinhard. Since you have the experimented with the fog lights of your Nexon. Do you think, OEM fog lights (say from XZ variant) can be fitted along with OEM wiring harness in XM variant?

[1] https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-ssy_...glare-6609410/
gmhossain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 09:54   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Reinhard. Since you have the experimented with the fog lights of your Nexon. Do you think, OEM fog lights (say from XZ variant) can be fitted along with OEM wiring harness in XM variant?
With some persistence and buttering I got those fogs installed from company's ASC for about 4.5K.
This cost is applicable if you are okay with having a aftermarket switch inside your cabin.
Otherwise there's one control unit available with showroom accessory guy, which automatically turns of fogs as soon as you turn on head lights.
But that costs about 13-14K.

Performance wise it doesn't make drastic difference but works okay.
DriveOnceMore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2020, 11:37   #3299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. If you can manage to source a unit for auto-dimming IRVM - that can be installed as a DIY project also. You can find my thread for installing it in Nexon in the DIY subforum.
Quote:
Yes. The Android systems are truly plug & play. No wire cuts anywhere. And the fit & finish is really good. Doesn't look out of place at all. The surround brackets are custom made for Nexon specifically. Most units are now Canbus enabled. So even the buttons on dashboard work fine with them. Worth the price. I'm sharing a link to my thread below in this post. I have installed 1 such system in my 2nd car & so can confirm that these are indeed 100% OEM coupler installations and not a single wire needs to be even scotch-tapped.
Quote:
3. Rearview camera -
Option 2: change the HU to touch screen. Not sure if there are any wires to be cut.
Better to use the camera with Android head unit. Its good.
Quote:
Keeping all this in mind is it worth to go for XZ+ as it's fully loaded or XZ which has the above covered.
Or it's ok to retrofit these on XMS and save some money.
The retrofitting of these items certainly is very cost effective and makes XE/XM quite cost effective. The only 2 items that you really miss are - rear wash+wipe & adjustable rear seat neck restraints. If you don't mind missing out on these - it makes all the sense to go for the lower trim.
Quote:
[As per Youtube] There are multiple android HU are available for Nexon with CAN Bus type plug-n-play connector. These are snug-fit for Nexon, do not require any wire-tapping, comes with pre-loaded Maps, and also detect the inputs from OEM buttons of XM variants. However, as far as the music quality is concerned, the Harman system of XM may still be better.

I am not sure about the rear view camera. Can anyone please comment on: how good are the parking sensors of Nexon in real life?
Nexon parking sensors are good. At least the pre-facelift Nexon that had 4 sensors works really well. Not sure if 2020 Nexon as 2 or 4 sensors though. Camera is always good if one has it.

As for the Android systems - I have installed the full setup including the rear view camera in my other car - an Alto - as a DIY. The process as well as products are same. In case of the Nexon, the surrounding face plate will be different. Process will be same. If you want - you can have a look at the process & product in general here on my DIY thread -

(DIY - ICE ICE Baby! Audio System Revamp in my Alto K10)Link - My Android head Unit DIY thread for Alto K10

Both of you might find this useful to get an idea of what the system really is like. The system for Nexon has a much better software + canbus integration compared to the one I have installed. However - the main body and appearance of the head unit is same. It looks excellent & finish is very good. Does not look cheap in anyway.
Quote:
I enjoy doing a bit of DIY modification in my car. So I am thinking to go with the XM variant, without stretching my budget. However, I am bit confused about the fog lights. I would prefer to have them but not sure what is the best way to get them in XM variant.
Even if you buy the OEM fog lights - they'll not get hooked up to the stock harness. Lower trim harness doesn't have the connectors nor the switches for fog lights. So you'll anyway need to add a separate switch on the dashboard as well as a separate relay harness to power the lamps.

Either way - for the cost of OEM fog lights, the illumination gains are really not justified. For just a little bit more amount, you can install far better HID projector fog lights that easily even render stock headlamps redundant if properly installed.

Last edited by Reinhard : 19th October 2020 at 11:57.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 15:25   #3300
BHPian

Hi All,

After spending a considerable amount of time doing research for my first car, I had short-listed 2 cars. Vento and Nexon. Loved the way the german beauty drove, it was love at first drive. I booked one as well, but changed my decision after considering the practicality of Nexon. Vento is the one you would want to go out with but at the end of the day, Nexon is the one you would want to get married to. Next year I'm planning to travel to some remote locations, and IMHO Nexon is a more suitable car for such trips.

Now I have booked Nexon, but have few questions:

1: Is there any way to install a traction control switch in the Nexon?

2: I'm not a big fan of the instrument cluster on Nexon 2020, would prefer old school analog dials or a TFT screen like the one on the Altroz. Any way to upgrade or downgrade?

3: Are cup-holders near the front arm-rest usable? I can imagine myself driving on the highway early in the morning with my coffee mug and soft rock music playing in the background.

4: I read the DIY guide on auto-dimming IRVM. But Not sure If I can order one from Aliexpress now. Any recommendation on where to buy one from India?

5: There's a rearview monitor available at Amazon. Can it replace IRVM?

5: Any recommendation for a dashcam that can double as an action camera as well or vice-versa. Don't need anything fancy. Will use the action camera to capture occasional sking, surfing, or paragliding videos.

6: What is the best upgrade for the low-beam?
toroid is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks