Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:44   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

This post of mine is from September, felt I'd be of context again.

In short, AWD is not for offroading. It is for better grip on tarmac, even dirt tracks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Lots of discussion on AWD vs FWD - let me give a XUV context.

An AWD XUV5OO (like my erstwhile W11 (O) AT AWD) starts off in AWD mode, and will switch to FWD around 30 KMPH - the benefit of this? Apart from added traction in potentially slippery surfaces, torque steer is almost absent. If you haven't experienced it, shift to 1st (or D) in a FWD XUV5OO and floor it (after making sure you're in an open space where you won't steer into something in the side). Now do the same with an AWD XUV5OO.

And if you're getting an opportunity to drive both the FWD and AWD back to back in a track with nice, sweeping curves, do this - take that curve at good speeds in the FWD, and then do the same with AWD - you'll know how much invaluable it is especially if there are undulations midway!

Finally, the XUV5OO AWD may not be mud-plougher, but it is good enough on icy surfaces, and dirt tracks where an FWD could get bogged down due to the engine weight on the driving wheels.

Now, I'm talking about a 155BHP XUV5OO with 360Nm torque. The XUV7OO is much more potent.

Saying an AWD is not needed is almost similar to Maruti honchos saying airbags are not needed for everyone - you won't need it until you need it. Period.

And comparing it with off-road oriented vehicles is completely missing the point - an AWD like the XUV or, heck, even the Quattros or 4matics or xDrive are not meant for giving you confidence off the road. They are meant to give you leech-like grip on the tarmac first!

Edit - here's a video from Audi - who's Quattro is the forefather of AWD. Take the context to this discussion - and see how many times they are talking about Quattro's off-road capabilities -

https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...mobile-mp4.mp4
ph03n!x is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:33   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Autocar India lists it as:

Mahindra XUV700: 1960kgs to 2040kgs

Tata Safari: 1825kgs

Source 1
Source 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
XUV7OO kerb weight starts at 1620 KGs, 110 kgs lighter than XUV5OO but new vehicle has a longer body, 80% more stiffness and longer wheelbase.

This video is informative and in English, many others go very in depth but are in Tamil.
Have taken Autocar quite at face value for such things. Maybe it is time to doubt them too. Could you please share the source of the 1620kgs figure mate? (Any particular section of the 30 minute video?)

~~~~~
I wonder why such simple stats have become difficult to come by, and they they aren't routinely mentioned by companies in general in their publicly released spec sheets.

Maybe some owner can inform the thread of the kerb weight based on the manual or RC. Thanks in advance
Old 3rd January 2022, 22:53   #3993

Quote:
Maybe some owner can inform the thread of the kerb weight based on the manual or RC. Thanks in advance
The Unladen Weight is mentioned to be 1742kg in RC, for variant AX7L AT (Petrol).
talha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 01:25   #3994
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have taken Autocar quite at face value for such things. Maybe it is time to doubt them too.
Overdrive too had mentioned it as 1620, while Mr. Velusamy himself has said the vehicle is 110 KGs lighter than 5OO.

We know that Diesel XUV5OO AWD was around 1850kgs, entire front end including fenders, radiator support etc are plastic. 2WD diesel was ~1750 kgs give or take, now that 1620 KG makes sense.

But if you are looking at fuel economy calculations well the Safari that replaced our mk1 5OO isn't as fuel efficient, should have waited for 7OO without a doubt.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 10:26   #3995
BHPian

Hello Friends

Anyone who has taken delivery - can you please shed some light on actual ground clearance of the car? Nothing much available online.Thanks in advance
Old 4th January 2022, 11:51   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionManali View Post
Hello Friends

Anyone who has taken delivery - can you please shed some light on actual ground clearance of the car? Nothing much available online.Thanks in advance
Ground Clearance

The XUV700 has an unladen ground clearance rating of 200 mm (laden = 160 mm), which should be more than you'll need in the real world.

Credits: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...00-review.html (Mahindra XUV700 Review)
snallagatla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:38   #3997
BHPian

Any of the owners facing any software niggles?
Old 4th January 2022, 16:30   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Any of the owners facing any software niggles?
Yes, while the engine and handling is excellent, there are few niggles (including the software related) which I noticed during my last long drive. Have documented some of them below. I am not sure if this is specific to my car, but hoping that these will get fixed in future software updates.
1) Adrenox is very unreliable - It is as good as the Vodafone network. Outside major cities, the network is not connected even on major highways.

2) GPS Lock is not accurate or buggy. See some screenshots below where you can see below inconsistencies
  • The distance between 2 same locations are different towards and return
  • Trip Meter shows that I covered 400 Kms in 5 hours
  • Location of the car still shows a place where I was back in Bangalore more than 24 hours
3) I feel the gear changes are not optimal in Automatic. You need to be over 75 KPH to slot to 5th Gear and over 90 KPH to slot into 6th gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-adrenoxinternet.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-gps1.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-gps2.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-gps3.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-tripmeter.jpg  

Attached Images

mahesh.alse is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 18:13   #3999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by talha View Post
The Unladen Weight is mentioned to be 1742kg in RC, for variant AX7L AT (Petrol).
Thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. So the diesel might be ~50-60kg more possibly owing to the heavier engine and exhaust components.
Old 4th January 2022, 18:28   #4000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.alse View Post
3) I feel the gear changes are not optimal in Automatic. You need to be over 75 KPH to slot to 5th Gear and over 90 KPH to slot into 6th gear.
Does it happen consistantly? Normally the shift pattern varies depending on the input. If you are light footed, they shift up early and if your accelerartor inputs are aggressive, they hold on to the gears for longer and shift late.
Old 4th January 2022, 18:29   #4001
BHPian

Spotted a few updates to pre-installed Apps in the system, under Download Manager. Only one App can be updated at a time, no option to update All Apps, as we usually do in phones.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20220104_175735.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img_20220104_175831.jpg  

IamNikhil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:56   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Does it happen consistantly? Normally the shift pattern varies depending on the input. If you are light footed, they shift up early and if your accelerartor inputs are aggressive, they hold on to the gears for longer and shift late.
Yes, this happens consistently even on flat cruising speeds. I have tried it using cruise and normal mode along with manual gear shift mode.
mahesh.alse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 22:47   #4003
BHPian

I might have solved the mystery of Odometer reset. The SA told me 'informally' that the odometer is reset when the stockyard/ PDI team performs software update a.k.a, 'flashing'. Importantly, i was told, this can only be done once for the car, in its lifetime. This may tie in well with the fact that the software version on my car is version xx.82 ("non-sony"), which is the latest, so i am assuming they upgraded it before delivery.

PS- to check software version, go to settings screen by pressing the settings gear. The press the same settings gear 8 times. When exploring this new hidden screen, you will also notice a Wifi AP menu, which didnt seem to work on my car.

Quote:
It is as good as the Vodafone network. Outside major cities, the network is not connected even on major highways.
Connectivity definitely seems to be an issue. I notice that the signal indicator is empty for first few minutes upon powering on the infotainment system.
piyush1.a is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 22:48   #4004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this happens consistently even on flat cruising speeds. I have tried it using cruise and normal mode along with manual gear shift mode.
Is it petrol or diesel AT? On a diesel AT car, the drive modes would make a difference ('Zip' should see early upshifts and 'Zoom', holding on to the gears for longer).
Old 5th January 2022, 00:11   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
To check software version, go to settings screen by pressing the settings gear. The press the same settings gear 8 times. When exploring this new hidden screen, you will also notice a Wifi AP menu, which didnt seem to work on my car.

Connectivity definitely seems to be an issue. I notice that the signal indicator is empty for first few minutes upon powering on the infotainment system.
I was excited too on having chanced-upon the Wifi option under the hidden menu, but alas! Hope future software updates make this into a usable functionality.

As for connectivity, haven't encountered any hurdles yet in Mumbai.
IamNikhil is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed