Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:22   #3976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Hello bhpians.

First of all a happy new year to all of you and your families.

Now let's begin this year with latest round of info on the XUV700.

1. Mahindra is mulling on introducing 2 new colours for the XUV700. These will be launched in the 2nd half of this year if the chip shortage situation improves. Don't know the exact shades but both are said to be of sparkling kind. One of them likely being Grey.

2. According to my sources, owners of the XUV700 should not install SD cards of capacity greater than 16GB as it is likely to cause the infotainment system to hang up or the card may get corrupt.

3. As of now around 1000 bookings have been received for the AWD variant. Also the AWD system from the diesel XUV700 can be easily retrofitted to the petrol variant but because of the miniscule number of bookings received so far, Mahindra may not launch the petrol AWD variant.

4. Mahindra has got hold of a Korean supplier for chips which is expected to reduce the waiting periods in the coming months. Also according to my sources, chip shortage situation is likely to improve vastly post August 2022.

5. So far Mahindra has replaced petrol engines on around 175 XUVs for oil leakage and bent piston issues. This has been deliberately kept under wraps and the media hasn't got a whiff of it till now. Don't exactly know the gravity of this issue. Will update soon.

6. Mahindra has found some issues with ECU overheating and to solve this they have added additional rubber beading around the ECU to better protect it from dust and heat. These updated ECUs will be rolled out soon.

7. Mahindra has found a new issue with the clip holding the wire connected to the wheel speed sensor in the wheelwell which is getting broken if the XUV is driven continuously at high speeds for long durations. Updated clips are rolled out from this month.

8. Mahindra is ready with a 2.8 litre Mstallion engine which produces around 300 bhp. They also have running prototypes with a 3.2 Mhawk engine which produces close to 300 bhp and 650 NM of torque. These engines were developed as part of the JV with Ford. But if these engines do make it to production, they will most likely come in the XUV900 but in lower states of tune as the tunes mentioned above are having a very high stress factor and thus won't be reliable in the long run.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for more info.
ram87pune is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 21:52   #3977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
So finally, after a long wait got my hands on my new ride.

Attachment 2252253

XUV 700 reaches home
The 700 in this pic looks very majestic. Congrats, happy driving.
Old 2nd January 2022, 22:46   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Hello bhpians.

First of all a happy new year to all of you and your families.

8. Mahindra is ready with a 2.8 litre Mstallion engine which produces around 300 bhp. They also have running prototypes with a 3.2 Mhawk engine which produces close to 300 bhp and 650 NM of torque. These engines were developed as part of the JV with Ford. But if these engines do make it to production, they will most likely come in the XUV900 but in lower states of tune as the tunes mentioned above are having a very high stress factor and thus won't be reliable in the long run.

Hey @ram87pune

Notwithstanding the argument last time on other thread, do you any information re XUV900 launch. The specs (even diluted), safety ratings of M&M products & coupe profile are irresistible preposition in view of my requirements.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:19   #3979
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy new year and thanks for the latest tidbits!!!

Quote:
3. As of now around 1000 bookings have been received for the AWD variant. Also the AWD system from the diesel XUV700 can be easily retrofitted to the petrol variant but because of the miniscule number of bookings received so far, Mahindra may not launch the petrol AWD variant.
Main reason is the availability of AWD only on a single top variant, that too on a single engine/tranny option.

Add to that fence sitters might have been convinced by "Saar, you can get an early delivery if you book the 2WD variant."
"Saar, no use. You need Thar for offroading."

Quote:
Holy

Mahindra seems to be like, "Let me make the engines first, will make the models later"

Not just the XUV900, they have to launch bigger, more upmarket models to justify the engines. Why not use the Gen3 platform for a bigger SUV, plonk in the motors and go straight at the throat of Fortuner, replacing the Alturas.

Wonder what is the engine configuration. Just bigger cubic capacity? Or added a cylinder? Anyways, no need for 300bhp. Even anything between 200-250bhp is more than enough.

Ford JV child...3.2l diesel...hmm...nah
DicKy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 00:40   #3980
BHPian

Hey Guys,
Amazing turn of events of late, My XUV 700 AX 7 L D AT in White was supposed to be delivered in March/April 22 and I had mentally prepared myself that I won’t get it before May as most of the deliveries were happening for Petrol.

On the 26th of December, I got a call from the dealer that a car is in transit and I can take delivery of the car if I'm willing. Initially, I couldn't believe my luck as I hadn't even been following up with the dealer about the timeline of delivery as I had made the booking online, and wasn't even clear who my sales rep is.

I immediately said, yes I'm willing to take delivery if the car is fine and subject to a PDI. He asked me to revert on a mail confirming that I'm willing to take delivery as they need to get it cleared by Mahindra because the allotment was initially made to someone else who has canceled their booking.

I got a call the very next day, saying the car has reached their stockyard and I should come over to discuss the financials and make the payment. They were a little hesitant in letting us go to the stockyard but did not make a fuss about it. Our sales executive accompanied us to the stockyard to take a look. The car was December manufactured and was perfect!!

Took delivery of the car on the 1st of Jan. I have not got much time with the car yet, unfortunately. Will keep posting about my experience with the car and initial observations. I apologize, I didn't take any pictures amongst the excitement but am posting the sole picture taken by my wife a bit after the car came home
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-fullsizerender-6.jpg  

Last edited by 10nitin : 3rd January 2022 at 00:42.
10nitin is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 01:25   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10nitin View Post
Hey Guys,
Amazing turn of events of late, My XUV 700 AX 7 L D AT in White was supposed to be delivered in March/April 22 and I had mentally prepared myself that I won’t get it before May as most of the deliveries were happening for Petrol.

On the 26th of December, I got a call from the dealer that a car is in transit and I can take delivery of the car if I'm willing. Initially, I couldn't believe my luck as I hadn't even been following up with the dealer about the timeline of delivery as I had made the booking online, and wasn't even clear who my sales rep is.
Congratulations, really good to see early delivery !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam05 View Post
I have written an email to the dealership asking for clarification ....
Tagging you here to point out another instance of early delivery ^
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 04:25   #3982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalmirza View Post
<Carwale Comparisons here>
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Also did they load up the cars equally to get them to weigh the exact same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Simply because it's lighter by quite a few kilos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
The 700 is overall lighter than the Safari?
I too wasn't able to get the precise weight of the XUV700 for my calculations and write-up, and estimated it to 2000kgs. Not sure which specific versions they have taken into account, but Autocar India lists it as:

Mahindra XUV700: 1960kgs to 2040kgs

Tata Safari: 1825kgs

Source 1
Source 2

Incidentally Source 2 mentions the XUV500 at 1860kgs - the weight used by Carwale for both the cars. The drive modes the two were tested for FE too were not mentioned. I take such comparisons with a pinch of salt; or more, as in this case.

With it's bigger and more powerful engine, fatter tyres, heavier body, and no huge aerodynamic advantage, would be very surprised at the XUV having the said advantage in FE in similar driving conditions with conditions varying amply to not favour either. (Some vehicles are better suited to some conditions). If it really is so, Fiat has a long way to catch up.

Last edited by Poitive : 3rd January 2022 at 04:28. Reason: Refinement
Poitive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:01   #3983
BHPian

Congratulations on your early delivery! Your early delivery is getting my hopes up for an early delivery of mine.

Quote:

They should put that engine in a Fortuner rival in a lower state of tune of course.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2022 at 12:25. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and replying to multiple posts together. Thanks!
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:24   #3984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I too wasn't able to get the precise weight of the XUV700 for my calculations and write-up, and estimated it to 2000kgs. Not sure which specific versions they have taken into account, but Autocar India lists it as:

Mahindra XUV700: 1960kgs to 2040kgs

Tata Safari: 1825kgs
XUV7OO kerb weight starts at 1620 KGs, 110 kgs lighter than XUV5OO but new vehicle has a longer body, 80% more stiffness and longer wheelbase.

This video is informative and in English, many others go very in depth but are in Tamil.

Kosfactor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:21   #3985
BHPian

Quote:
8. Mahindra is ready with a 2.8 litre Mstallion engine which produces around 300 bhp. They also have running prototypes with a 3.2 Mhawk engine which produces close to 300 bhp and 650 NM of torque. These engines were developed as part of the JV with Ford. But if these engines do make it to production, they will most likely come in the XUV900 but in lower states of tune as the tunes mentioned above are having a very high-stress factor and thus won't be reliable in the long run.
Honestly, I would take this information with a pinch of salt considering that companies are moving more towards electrification instead of newer engines from the ground up.

Also, the 3.2 mHawk seems more like a retuned engine from the Ford Endeavour, so I don't really see them becoming a reality anytime sooner or later.
tanbeamer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 11:23   #3986
BHPian

Quote:

Now let's begin this year with latest round of info on the XUV700.

Thanks for your constant scoops, Ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Are there any details available on the XUV 700's AWD system? Like typical and max power distribution limits, whether it has any form of brake-based torque transfer (or BLD) to the other wheel in the axle (I'm guessing no, since that'd have been a headline-feature since the new THAR has it) etc?
The mahindra website seems to be awfully barebones with respect to details and there seems to be absolutely no reviews of the AWD sytem, except for the staged one from launch - which isn't exactly useful.

My layman's understanding from watching XUV 500 AWD videos (mainly by bhpian anshuman) is that it (XUV 500) doesnt have any brake based torque-channelling abilities - so if one wheel each at front or back has lost traction then the car wont really be able to move. So I guess the XUV700 is probably going to be the same.

Not that it matters an awful lot, but I wish these details were more readily available. ram87pune (not sure if this tagging works), would you happen to know by any chance?
Would you happen to know or be able to find out anything about the AWD system on the XUV (make/model/specs/features/anything at all), please
Transmission is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 14:35   #3987
BHPian

Hi All,

Wanted to share a minor issue I noticed in my AX5, which perhaps happened after 1st service, or was missed by me until now.

There is a slight gap appearing between the driver side dashboard console panels. I tried to push it in myself but it does not seem to be closing.

Has anyone faced something similar? Is it something I should get checked asap?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-20211216_114043.jpg  

nasir88 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:11   #3988
Senior - BHPian

@Poitive
You are correct XUV700 is heavier than Safari. It used to be vice-versa earlier. It seems that better fuel economy could be result of different tuning g gearing in XUV700.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:30   #3989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Would you happen to know or be able to find out anything about the AWD system on the XUV (make/model/specs/features/anything at all), please
From the limited information available on the Mahindra website and owners manual, XUV700 uses Borg Warner Torque On-Demand AWD system similar to XUV500. Borg Warner Intelligent Torque Management (ITM) system is supposed to work with the vehicle's ESP system. Speed sensors used for ESP & ABS are used for detecting tyre slippage anyway. But what differentiates XUV700 is the latest-gen ESP suite which has features such as torque vectoring by braking and electronic brake prefill. And hence, at least in theory, we can expect improvements over XUV500. In reality though, whether this provides an improvement to AWD performance or not needs to be verified.

This AWD system works like a normal FWD under normal circumstances in "Auto" mode. This ensures better fuel efficiency. When slippage is detected in front tyres, it transfers torque to rear wheels. In AWD "Lock" mode, torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels in a fixed ratio (not specified)

AWD "Lock" mode disengages at speeds > 80 km/hour.
The Alchemist is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 18:30   #3990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alchemist View Post

This AWD system works like a normal FWD under normal circumstances in "Auto" mode. This ensures better fuel efficiency. When slippage is detected in front tyres, it transfers torque to rear wheels. In AWD "Lock" mode, torque is distributed between the front and rear wheels in a fixed ratio (not specified)
XUV AWD Vs FWD on the Rann of kutch, video in here. In short one can floor the A pedal without making a mess.

Kosfactor is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks