Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 14:25   #5101
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Finally got our XUV 700 AX 7 AWD D AT delivered this week. It was indeed a long wait right from booking it on day 1 on 8th December until 22nd March when it was finally delivered to us. Second guessing our decision on whether it was worth the wait and whether the niggles will be too much handle but finally we bit the bullet. The dealer was saying that AWD production was very low and you might not be able to get the car till Diwali but a few emails exchanged with higher ups at mahindra helped our cause and it was finally delivered.

This car is for my brother and after the good experience I have had with my THAR LX CT D AT which was also bought on day 1 delivered on 5th November 2020 it was a no brainer to go for this vehicle. Mahindra may not have sorted out the niggles bit but their after sales leaves little to complain. My Thar has gone to the service center 7 times in 15 months and 5.5k kms of ownership but my experiences has always been pleasant.

Coming to the car at the time of writing it has done around 300 kms and initial impressions are positive. The car rides and handles pretty well (much better than both Thar and my 2013 Fortuner) and the interiors are well appointed. The gizmos are touchwood working as intended and do lift the ambience of the cabin. The panoramic sunroof makes the cabin airy and the space of offer keeps all the passengers happy. It's a good car to be chauffered around too. Haven't been able to fully test the AWD system as of now, looking to take it off the beaten path without getting too adventurous as it's a soft roader at the end of the day.

High speed stability is decent and as long as you are consious that it's a high gc vehicle and don't do anything over the top, it keeps you happy. The engine and gearbox are well mated to each other and straight line performance is strong. It's too early to comment on FE but initial impressions look good with the car consistently delivering double digit figures even when driven hard. At 24.5 lakh on road (due to price protection and refusing all optional extras) the car has quite frankly exceeded our expectations. Hopefully it does not throw any surprises and continues to perform well.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0051.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0072.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0052.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0067.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0070.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220326wa0068.jpg  

Last edited by ToyotaFan : 26th March 2022 at 14:50.
ToyotaFan is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 16:21   #5102
BHPian

Still prioritising between getting a good car in hand or booking the XUV which I like but may get it sometime this decade.

I took a TD of the Petrol AT. While the car was nice and felt good to drive, I felt the steering was very light. I wonder if the petrol is this way as I don’t recall a similar feeling with the Diesel AT.

Also Petrol doesn’t have the drive modes so maybe Diesel weighed up because of that. Honestly I don’t care for the zip zap zoom (unless someone tells me otherwise) and I will map the throttle response by the feel of my feet.

However I did find the engine a bit gruff. I expected it to be quiet and well insulated like the Marutis or Hyundais, but it was not to be.

Is this normal and expected of the 2.0L Petrol or is the Mahindra engine coarse because it’s newly developed.
Old 28th March 2022, 10:53   #5103
BHPian

Can somebody who has taken delivery elaborate on the built in dashcam?

Does it support 256 or higher GB Card? How is the resolution?......... & other salient features of the dashcam or something one would like to highlight?

Last edited by Manojah : 28th March 2022 at 11:17.
Old 28th March 2022, 11:39   #5104

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhirjaipur View Post
Regarding mats I would recommend 3D KAGU mats, I have been using them in my present XUV500 for the last 5 years and have found them to be the best mats; the company is developing mats for the 700, could be available in the next 3-4 weeks. Call 8884788843 for status.
Tired to reach this number. Looks like its switched off. Have you heard anything from them? Their website has not listed XUV 700 yet.

Thanks.
Old 28th March 2022, 17:30   #5105
BHPian

Is there a technical reason Mahindra is not able to offer AWD on Petrol variant? The engine is pretty powerful and would be perfect for buyers in NCR region(10year limit on diesel) or situations where run won't be high and mileage may not matter much. If this has been discussed earlier, please share pointer. Thar comes in 4WD on both Petrol and Diesel Variants and though I understand that these are 2 different systems, wondering if it is more to do with demand or some other reason.

Last edited by neel911 : 28th March 2022 at 17:34.
Old 28th March 2022, 17:56   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel911 View Post
Is there a technical reason Mahindra is not able to offer AWD on Petrol variant? The engine is pretty powerful and would be perfect for buyers in NCR region(10year limit on diesel) or situations where run won't be high and mileage may not matter much. If this has been discussed earlier, please share pointer. Thar comes in 4WD on both Petrol and Diesel Variants and though I understand that these are 2 different systems, wondering if it is more to do with demand or some other reason.
It's sad that manufacturers are still not offering 4WD option in petrol 7/8 seater SUVs. Even the Toyota Fortuner doesn't come with a 4X4 option in petrol guise even though the same 2.7L comes with a 4X4 option in Dubai. Main reason for not offering this is poor mileage which I feel should be a decision left to the consumer particularly those who reside in NCR.

I am glad that at least Mahindra offered the 4X4 option in the Thar petrol. With 30hp less than XUV7OO and 300 kgs less kerb weight, it's able to return a respectable 10kmpl in the city. The XUV 700 would however offer around 5-6 kmpl in the city if offered with an AWD or 4X4 option which some of us with limited running and the need for occasional off-roading trips can live with.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 19:15   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
Does it support 256 or higher GB Card? How is the resolution?......... & other salient features of the dashcam or something one would like to highlight?
The dealership does not recommend anything more than the 32gb card. Someone in the forum was to try the higher capacity card, but not heard if it was successful.
The resolution is quite good. Could read the license plate numbers on the screen, but true test will only be when we can transfer the videos to our own device but currently that feature is not available.

Features
1. Continuous recording but only when the car is turned on. There’s no park mode or sentry mode like Tesla. (I believe in case of accident it is supposed to move the video to the “emergency” folder so that it wont be over written. Yes when the card gets full, it will over write the oldest video
2. There are two folders: General and Emergency. All videos are recoded by default in the general folder. You can move videos to the Emergency folder manually as well to protect them. On holding down the camera button on the centre console will also move the current recording to the emergency folder.
3. Video recording can be set for 3-min or 5-min durations
4. 4 camera angles: Front, rear, left & right
5. Records speed, date and time but not sound
6. Clarity is very good (haven’t seen night video yet). Could check and let you know
7. You cannot transfer the videos to your personal device for viewing. Your can view the videos on the infotainment screen itself. Else you will have to take it to the workshop for them to access the card and transfer the videos.

If you have any specific questions you need answers to, could let you know, but this is all I can think of.

Cheers!

Last edited by Vashanis : 28th March 2022 at 19:16. Reason: Additional info.
Vashanis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 20:54   #5108
BHPian

Went for a test drive of the XUV7OO at PPS Indiranagar this weekend. Walked in on a Saturday morning when things were picking up and there was a delivery due as well.

All that has been said about XUV 7OO has been said, and here I would just give my perspective.

It was my first proper look at the XUV7OO and I have (had?) it firmly etched in my head (and heart) to buy it.

Headline - I tried very hard to fall in love with it - but I came away with just liking it.

The overall experience didn't live up to the expectations I had created for myself. Though I must say that the staff at PPS Indiranagar was very courteous and respectful.

As I look back and assess the reasons, here is what I could come up with. Some of the reasons I didn't believe could contribute towards a decision on a car, but well, here they are:

1. The showroom - It was not well lit. It was kind of depressing. Not properly airconditioned. Not warm and inviting (though we were given a bottle of water).

2. Waiting - we were asked to wait 10 mins for the test drive. Then another 10. Then another 15. Then another 10. I was pretty candid with them asking if it cannot be arranged, do tell me that. I would better understand than having extend every few minutes.

3. Feature discussion - started with handing a copy of the price list. I don't know if this is SOP

4. No XUV 7OO on display, though it was provided for the test drive.

5. The car itself:

a. The seats (and as I look back - this one seems to be a big reason). Light colored seats and soiled in the test drive car (It had been driven 5500km approximately). I didn't think it would linger on my mind so much, but I am surprised at myself. They really didn't look good.

b. The third row - it was barely enough. And the seating was too low. I had been to the Kia showroom a couple of weeks back and sat in the 3rd row of the Carens. And surprisingly I was very comfortable there. The Carens' 3rd row was spacious and at a good height / seating position.

c. Plastics - not good quality. Specially the buttons operating the sun roof.

d. 2nd row not sliding. Once again, it did in the Carens and that made a world of a difference

e. Boot space. Or rather the lack of it. I always knew it was less, but seeing it in person really hit the point home. Barely space for a backpack.

f. No ventilated seats

g. I didn't get the feeling of premiumness / luxury in the car. Even my son said "its like a big Swift Dzire". Maybe a bit too harsh but I wouldn't discount it completely.

h. The door handles. Not practical at all!

i. Very light steering. Too light. I would prefer it to have some weight. Also, the steering wheel itself was a tad thinner for my liking (nothing that a leather wrap can't fix though).

6. The test drive:

a. The car offered was a manual. Not a deal breaker. But since I was interested in the AT and had expressed myself so, it would have been good to get an AT.

b. Time - Got the test drive for like 2-3 minutes. I believe I was (am) a pretty serious (potential) customer. It was a joke.

c. Overall, it was very good to drive.

Yes, there were lots of things to like about the XUV 7OO. Lots. Right from the welcome seats, to the sun roof, to the entertainment system, to the 360 degree camera. And not to mention, it was very good to drive.

But will the positives enable me to look over the things that I didn't like? I guess I would find out in the coming weeks after test driving a few more vehicles - and probably the XUV 7OO itself again (I really want to love it).
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 09:50   #5109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
Hasn't that picture been long debunked as being fake?

And the impact is not on the composite material even if its not fake.
Oh... Did not realise that. Sorry.
Old 29th March 2022, 09:58   #5110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manojah View Post
Can somebody who has taken delivery elaborate on the built in dashcam?

Hi Manojah!
You can check out this video from JojoWheelie regarding the dash camera (he makes serial videos on XUV 700). You can even contact him directly.

Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that max card size was 32 GB.
ColAjayDrives is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 22:17   #5111
BHPian

Hey folks
Anyone has done or had the need to do a 3D tyre alignment?
My 2 month old 700's alignment is off and service center folks are not able to sort it out.
Any feedback whether I can get it done outside from local shops?
Old 30th March 2022, 07:41   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyush1.a View Post
My 2 month old 700's alignment is off and service center folks are not able to sort it out.
Have you contacted Mahindra customer care on this? For XUV700, their engineering team is apparently getting directly involved and directing ASCs on resolution. Likely that your ASC hasn't reported the issue themselves.
impala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 10:27   #5113
BHPian

So got the vehicle at the dealership and sorting out my finances for the same. Vehicle reached the dealership on Saturday and since then the associate has been constantly bugging me about making the full payment or else they'll allot it to someone else. I was informed a week prior to this but given the current circumstances of global economy it is proving a little difficult to liquidate my savings.

Hence, my question to all fellow members is:

1. Till how long can the car be kept before it's allotted to somebody else? And can the same be done without my approval?

2. What minimum amount needs to be paid if I want the delivery of the vehicle on a later date and for the car to not get allotted to somebody else?
Old 30th March 2022, 10:57   #5114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post

1. Till how long can the car be kept before it's allotted to somebody else? And can the same be done without my approval?
In our case, the vehicle reached dealership in 14-15th December 2021 and we took delivery on 5th January 2022. So you can delay the delivery by atleast 20-25 days if dealer is co-operative.

I don't think they can allot the car to someone else unless you explicitly state that you don't want the delivery, though the dealer might start pressurising you if they have a long backlog.
quantobigboot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 13:38   #5115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Bear View Post
So got the vehicle at the dealership and sorting out my finances for the same. Vehicle reached the dealership on Saturday and since then the associate has been constantly bugging me about making the full payment or else they'll allot it to someone else. I was informed a week prior to this but given the current circumstances of global economy it is proving a little difficult to liquidate my savings.

Hence, my question to all fellow members is:

2. What minimum amount needs to be paid if I want the delivery of the vehicle on a later date and for the car to not get allotted to somebody else?
Dealer will hold it for max 11 days as per the internal circular (the vehicle needs to be billed in these 11 days). To bill the vehicle, the entire amount needs to be transferred to the dealer.
Abhikumar629 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks