Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2022, 10:56   #5026
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV700 Review

Got Holi gift! My SA called and said car has been allotted, is at factory now and I can take the delivery by month end!
I have booked White Petrol AX7 automatic. Fingers crossed - hoping all goes well.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 24th March 2022 at 16:27. Reason: typo
StepUP! is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 15:29   #5027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
Majority of the feedback I hear about the 700's ADAS is more about it being a hindrance, rather than help - partially because it's a 1st gen thing for Mahindra and bugs and unreliability are to be expected, but mostly because it's simply impractical for non-lane-marked-divided-tolled-highway roads. In other words, very impractical for daily driving situations in cities/towns, 'regular' undivided highways, the sheer variety in the type of vehicles and obstances encountered in our country etc. I'm sure Mahindra spent a huge amount of time & money on this, just to differentiate themselves from the competition, but it sort of backfires like this, when it isn't working properly simply because it has limited scope in India. How is the feedback on the Gloster's ADAS equivalent ? I'm guessing it's of similar limited scope purely because this is India.

I wish Mahindra had spent their time and energy on reliability improvement (hearing of strange evap system problems with petrol models and a few other 'first-batch' issues) , because the product definition is brilliant, the mech engineering is a huge step forward and it's a darling of the masses.

I would like to respectfully disagree with you on this point. I would give credit to Mahindra for being one of the first to bring ADAS into their cars. They are ahead of the curve and hopefully as they collect more data they will be able to improve the system further. Also some points for your consideration:

1. Most people write about a service when it doesn't work as expected. This is common across industries. People call up helplines and tweet when a service doesn't work. You hardly see any tweets that 'I was able to make a phone call today, thank you Airtel'. That could be one reason why you are reading more about the hindrance of ADAS.

2. Serious accidents tend to occur on highways or on roads where vehicular speeds are high. Within most Indian cities speeds are generally slow and repercussions are not that severe. Hence ADAS will provide better protection where it matters - on highways, which usually have better lane demarcation and higher speeds.

3. Most first batch cars have niggles and teething issues. I have been very closely following the Safari (closest competitor to XUV) and XUV7OO threads and I think the teething issues are far, far lower in Mahindra. Surely, it can be improved further but let's look at things in perspective.

4. Lastly, the fact that India's road infra are not best in class and that most people dont follow rules - surely that's not a Mahindra problem. They have tried to put out version 1 of their solution. It's not perfect but it's a start. And I will applaud them for trying.
charade is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 17:47   #5028

HI ,

Is there a Simple way of Telling Alexa to Just Open the Sun Roof Screen ( the Moving Fabric only ) and not the Glass Roof itself .. What is the Command phrase for that . What we achieve using the half press of the Sun Roof Button .
PR IDE is Life is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 19:40   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR IDE is Life View Post
HI ,

Is there a Simple way of Telling Alexa to Just Open the Sun Roof Screen ( the Moving Fabric only ) and not the Glass Roof itself .. What is the Command phrase for that . What we achieve using the half press of the Sun Roof Button .
Even I wished there was a command just for the curtain, but unfortunately nothing! I have now mastered the art of using the switch! Earlier I would invariably land up pushing the switch such that the window pane also opened up!

Cheers!
Vashanis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 19:53   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charade View Post
3. Most first batch cars have niggles and teething issues. I have been very closely following the Safari (closest competitor to XUV) and XUV7OO threads and I think the teething issues are far, far lower in Mahindra. Surely, it can be improved further but let's look at things in perspective.
I would like to add that the response of Mahindra to the teething troubles faced are very prompt and helping. I have owned XUV 500 for the last 11 years and have not faced any niggle.
sudhirjaipur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:12   #5031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
So, after a long and thorough discussion in our family, we finalised the 7OO (variant, type & seating option) and I completed the online booking formalities earlier in the evening today.
So, I am guilty of not doing my homework thoroughly.

The AX5 MT in it's petrol guise misses out on a very critical safety feature - Electronic Stability Program. For a heavy 2-ton machine loaded with two dynamite engines, ESP is a very, very important safety add-on. It should have been standard on all iterations of the AX5.

The Latest-Gen ESP suite is available in only the diesel variants of the AX5 lineup. At approximately 62,000 rupees more than it's equivalent petrol counterpart, it is a no-brainer.

I asked the dealership if changes can be done to the existing booking. They weren't sure so referred me to the Customer Care Helpline. The guy on the other end explained that there was no way of changing any option in a completed booking, and I had to apply for a fresh booking. Cancellation of the original booking will result in a full refund directly back into the bank account from which the amount was debited, and it would take 21 days for the process to be completed.

So, made a fresh booking for the AX5 diesel last night. Rest of my config remains the same - MT, 7-seater and Red Rage colour shade.

Also added two accessories to my customised config - illuminated scuff plates and ORVM logo projectors.

OTR will come to around ₹20.50L. Now, the wait begins.

Mahindra XUV700 Review-a52c432206f840f1af5802e71261f71c.jpeg
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:51   #5032
BHPian

Can someone help me with exact road tax calculation in Pune, Maharashtra?
I am getting AX7 petrol auto soon. I compared the quotation sent today and 1 month back, has same ex-showroom price. However, road tax is increased in the new quotation by some 21k. How is that possible? When I googled it says applicable road tax is 13%.
For reference I am getting below numbers from dealer:
Ex stockyard 2028622
New quotation road tax 272145
12th Jan quotation road tax 251453
Google says at 13% which is 263720

Insurance amount quoted is 91983 for standard 1+3,zero dep, engine cover, consumables which I find way pricey. Policy bazaar quotes are in the range of 50-70k
When confronted dealer plays usual tactics, if there is a claim I will face issues blah blah. He has also quoted 1 yr RSA optional amount which is part of standard warranty!
He also appeared unsure if the deleted features - spare key and sequential indicators will be added later at dealer level.
He is also pressing me to make full payment stating Mahindra policy.

Thank you TBHP, I am informed on many things beforehand!

Last edited by StepUP! : 17th March 2022 at 21:53.
StepUP! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2022, 21:58   #5033
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasir88 View Post
However, while rusting of bolts and screws is common, this week I noticed that rusting has started to come extensively on the rear mahindra logo and "700" emblem.
Forget about ADAS and other gimmicks Mahindra, see if you can get your logos to remain rust free!!
EV NXT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 01:01   #5034
BHPian

Finally finally finally the Holi was really a happy Holi today. Got to do the PDI today for my gajraj (AX7L MT D black). Drove 110 km one way to Udaipur for same (wonder why can't they keep the stock yard next to my house ). My daughter accompanied me to help me with the checklist (or maybe to keep a check on me as directed by the home ministry).

Wanted to divide this post into good and bad experience points. But all I could gather was good and better.
Knowing it to be a half day for kas auto udaipur, I tried to be the first entry pass holder there. Reached the dealership around 9:40 am. Immediately helped by the staff to reach stock yard for finalizing accessories. Nobody tried to press anything anywhere. I ordered only few of add ons to be installed before delivery.

After checking accessories, came a shock. My car was not there in the stockyard!! Then I got to know about the promptness of the staff. Since they knew about me coming for PDI from a distance of about 2hrs, so to save everyone's time, my car was already shifted from stockyard to dealership yesterday.

We came back to dealership and car was brought to the delivery area for PDI. A home Installer guy (Alamzeb) came to help. Very patiently he explained most of the features. Now came the best part and I can never thank TBHP friends more. I had printed booklet for points to cover in PDI for XUV 700. The staff there were surprised to see such detailed PDI checklist. Once they came to know that I'm a bhpian, I was greeted with another level of admiration. I was even asked questions about some of the doubts they had and luckily, I was able to answer a few (thanks to team bhp again).

The same courtesy was shown by sales department too. Mr Subodh was very nice to interact with. Nobody tried to force anything at all.

No extra compulsory accessories, no handling charges. I wanted fastag from my own provider, they didn't ask any questions.

I already had an insurance quotation (around 48k) by united India (with engine, tyre, fob cover, nil depreciation, RTI etc and all bells and whistles). They were not able to match the outside rates, so not even once anyone tried to insist their insurance options. Please note that I do have NCB certificate from my last Vista so it saved some of my otherwise leaking vitamin M.

Sorted out most of the details regarding payments etc and told them to deliver it on Monday/ Tuesday at their chittorgarh dealership. I asked them a question regarding extended warranty but nobody had any idea about it. I would be thankful if any of our esteemed friends can help me out. There is a general option of 7 yrs extended warranty in hamesha app. Is it applicable to XUV 700?. Has anyone opted for it? Please share your knowledge.

My daughter had her favourite grilled vegetable cheese sandwich, thanks to the customer relation department. I was the first customer to enter the premises and last to leave. Finally around 2 pm we left for home fully satisfied.

A special mention of Mr Naved ji is a must. He helped me throughout despite being out of town.

The only negative part (which I was expecting) was missing rear sequential indicators and single key. Though they are to be delivered and fitted after few months. I'll be given a letter regarding same on the day of delivery. Now I couldn't take many pictures during PDI, but sharing a few I could.

This is my first post with attachments so please forgive me if I'm not able to do it properly.

Its only a few days now for us to welcome our gajraj home
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220317105255.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220317105413.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220317105426.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-screenshot_2022031713563157_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg  

Mahindra XUV700 Review-img20220317105444.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 18th March 2022 at 18:02. Reason: Correcting spacing, paragraphing etc for better readability. Also some typos.
sudanmohit is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 08:32   #5035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudanmohit View Post
I wanted fastag from my own provider, they didn't ask any questions.
Congrats on your new car!

Can you please explain how are you planning to get fasttag of your choice??
My dealer says that the fasttag is mandatory for RTO registration and get the RC card.
And to buy the fasttag on our own, RC Card is a must. So, its not possible to buy fasttag before registration.
Only option is to go with dealer provided fasttag.
praveenkkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 09:19   #5036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenkkr View Post
Congrats on your new car!

Can you please explain how are you planning to get fasttag of your choice??
My dealer says that the fasttag is mandatory for RTO registration and get the RC card.
And to buy the fasttag on our own, RC Card is a must. So, its not possible to buy fasttag before registration.
Only option is to go with dealer provided fasttag.
Thanks

I don't know about the claims your dealer is making. But as far as I know fastag is a five minutes job. Any agent would do it for you.
It can be done before registration (using chassis or engine number i think). The number can be updated later after registration.

I preferred to avoid getting it through dealership because I already have one on my eon. If one has multiple vehicles, it is beneficial to have fastag from same provider and connected to a common mobile number.

When I sold my Vista last month, it had more than 1000/- in the fastag. I was able to get all the money transferred to my eon easily as both vehicles had similar fastag and common mobile number..

Moreover different fastag providers end up taking different amount of money for same service.it might be few hundred rupees but it's still money

Right now I've opted for IDFC fastag as they are giving instant cash back on first five recharges.(around 5-6%). Not a big amount but satisfactory nonetheless.

Why pay even 300/- to dealer if you can get same service for free somewhere else.

Hope this helps
sudanmohit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 10:05   #5037
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

It tells the story of culture of a company. If the logo doesn’t last a few months, it’s best not to check what quality of steel must have gone in making the vehicle. Oh and don’t forget they made the back of plastic. Extreme level cheapskating if I want to compare any cars in Europe or USA.
I hope they replace the logo swiftly.

Also hope there is no damage to the body as a result of this.
RunGaDa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 11:21   #5038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunGaDa View Post
I Oh and don’t forget they made the back of plastic. Extreme level cheapskating
I chatted about this with few of my friends in auto industry.

1. It's not plastic, it's actually thermo plastic/composite.
2. Composite is as strong as steel.
3. Composite is costlier than steel, some of the high end cars use it due to it's
lightweight properties.
4. XUV tailgate design is little complex for steel finish.
mytbhp_turbo is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 12:01   #5039
BHPian

Quote:
It tells the story of culture of a company. If the logo doesn’t last a few months, it’s best not to check what quality of steel must have gone in making the vehicle. Oh and don’t forget they made the back of plastic. Extreme level cheapskating if I want to compare any cars in Europe or USA.

Seriously? Cheapskating!
I wonder how one could decide the culture of a company via logo of a product.
Should we concentrate on discoloration of a chrome finish? I'm sure this part is most important part of the car so Mahindra did a cost cutting here

What about the extravagant spending on engine, FSD dampeners, ADAS, composite back (mind you it's not cheap plastic, it's costlier than steel and absolutely safe for the purpose), then the steel composition of framework and welding (spots are almost double than next in competition), 5star GNCAP rating, largest sunroof in segment.and so much more , all this in a range of 16-30 lakhs .

But I'm sure they could mange all this because they saved money by compromising the chrome

Please forgive me if I've sounded rude but I couldn't digest the conclusion based on a chrome discoloration incident.

Mahindra is trying to give us something what others are not giving in almost double the price. Let's appreciate that. Atleast on this forum, the readers expect better and unbiased comments.

But I do agree with you that Mahindra should look into the matter of logo tarnish ASAP and replace it wherever required. Not just the logo, any other manufacturing related issue should be sorted. I hope they do that and gain some appreciation from the critics.

Apologies again if i sounded rude.
Thank you

PS - Here is an old video which might give some idea about areas where company has used the saved money

Last edited by SDP : 19th March 2022 at 06:23. Reason: Corrected multiple typos
sudanmohit is offline   (23) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th March 2022, 12:49   #5040
BHPian

Quote:

I am not sure what the culture of the company has got to do with the quality of the logo. By that standard would the culture at Tesla be at the bottom of the pit as while they are known to deliver the best electric cars yet, they have major quality issues with panel gaps, loose floor carpets and other defects. Yes not to defend the quality of the logo which seems to be one off but could be other external factors as well such as quality of water used to wash the car. I know of someone who used Collins (glass cleaner) to clean chrome parts, which surely corrodes such things.

Secondly on the “plastic” tailgate, how much should a company do to convince its prospective customers that its not cutting corners but using new technology to provide better products. What in layman’s term is plastic, Mahindra has used composite reinforced plastic that is stronger and lighter than steel. I have read somewhere that about 10 tears ago “plastic” accounted for about 200Kg of the car’s weight and is expected to be about more than double in the next ten years. All modern cars including I believe F1 cars use this material to make cars lighter and safer. For every 10% reduction in weight increases fuel efficiency in the range of 5%-7%. I bet no one would flinch an eyelid if some of the European counterparts was doing the same to make its cars safer. Let’s not bash a company and especially an Indian manufacturer who is putting its best foot forward.

Lastly the video by Sid Patankar will certainly change your mind about the tailgate.

To add on the debate on the ADAS where there is a split opinion on its usefulness in Indian conditions. I just believe that Mahindra has done something that no other manufacturer (atleast comparable segment) thought of doing and others are now following suit. ADAS technology is built for the larger universe and not for just Indian conditions. It’s unfortunate that our road conditions and lack of civic sense on the road do not allow for optimum use of this technology. But had they not provided it, there would have been more who would have slammed the manufacturers. Atleast in my personal opinion, I am getting best bang for my buck with my car as opposed to my taxes to the government! Having said that I am seeing better roads in the state and city, so when all the pieces of the puzzle fall in place, it will be a different world! lastly I can bet you that ADAS would be a challenge even work in New York City, San Francisco or any other city except on its suburban roads, freeways or autobahn.

Just to clarify I have no association with Mahindra other than that I had an XUV in past and currently an XUV700 and only more respect for their products and vision than the prior year!

Happy Holi everyone.
Cheers!
Vashanis is offline   (18) Thanks

Most Viewed