Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 14:41   #1291
BHPian

Re: 2022 Skoda Kodiaq Facelift Review | 2.0L Petrol DSG

In my vicinity, there's a short muddy road frequented by numerous heavy vehicles. I have a general query about maintenance during the monsoon season.
Concerns:

Lava blue shows visible dust.
Rain splashes leave noticeable marks.
Formation of rain spots.
I've been going to a nearby car wash every week, but the waiting time is discouraging. Is there an easier way to manage maintenance at home during the monsoon? Are there any specific tools or plumbing adjustments required to address these issues at home?
Old 25th July 2023, 15:34   #1292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebear View Post
In my vicinity, there's a short muddy road frequented by numerous heavy vehicles. I have a general query about maintenance during the monsoon season.
Concerns:

Formation of rain spots.
I've been going to a nearby car wash every week, but the waiting time is discouraging. Is there an easier way to manage maintenance at home during the monsoon? Are there any specific tools or plumbing adjustments required to address these issues at home?
Nope, its a hard ass colour to maintain and that's what I realised. I don't quite quite walk away satisfied after every cleaning session as there are smudge marks, fine dusts forming no matter what. Its very much due to the paint quality and the choice of colour in this case. Members with magic black, grey or race blue can comment on how their shades hold up. Lava Blue simply needs too much time to maintain its shade and I am growing tired.

I have cleaned the car in both Chennai and Coimbatore and the results were the same. While we could argue on the quality of the water, its not an issue with my other cars. At least for this very reason, I am now starting to contemplate a PPF or a ceramic coat just to keep those spots away and make everyday cleaning easier. Even the windscreen, windows give me a hard time compared to my Volvo which is super easy to clean.
Old 25th July 2023, 19:08   #1293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I read through the 80+ pages of Kodiaq material on TeamBHP and started getting more excited about the car.
The booking amount is fully refundable after all.
The new Kodiaq I read somewhere would be less wider than the outgoing model (I feel the Kodiaq already is not that wide). Last round of cars would probably be the "perfected" version of that model. Also what if Skoda decides to bring only the plug in hybrid to India.
I would love if some current Kodiaq users pitched in and help me decide. Do I buy the current Kodiaq or wait for the next?

After owing Kodiaq for 14 months, I can't find a single factor that should not lead you into buying one of current generation. Its a jewel at 50L budget.

Honestly speaking, I am over concerned about vehicles being getting over saturated with technology in their latest avatars - that's channelling attention a bit away from rest of the dynamic stuff of the car. Also, more added complications - more failure chances.

If I were you, I would have booked new Kodiaq only after a year in the market with TSI engine of 200 BHP & above.
SilverSmoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 20:51   #1294
BHPian

Quote:
Concerns:

Formation of rain spots.
As a fellow Lava Blue Kodiaq owner in Namma Bengaluru, I fully empathise with your concern, and I have learnt that there is no easy solution other than spending quality time maintaining this beauty. I live in an apartment and with no access to power socket, so I have invested in a rechargeable battery powered pressure washer ( details posted previously), a battery powered handheld vacuum cleaner cum blower, Jopasu / California duster(s), umpteen micro fiber cloths and Meguairs hybrid ceramic detailer spray. Daily routine includes the Jopasu duster followed by the Ceramic detailer ( still a 15-20 min of elbow grease). The pressure washer is good for non contact body cleaning if muddy / after rains , but I make it a point to immediately dry off with ShineX Pro 1500GSM drying micro fiber towel and use the cordless blower to dislodge the remaining water from all the crevices ( I have hard water in my area that cause white water spots if allows to dry). Done full shampoo wash only twice in the past 5 months of ownership. The Ulgo glass coating also seems to help resist water marks and makes routine cleaning easier ( as compared to my civic that has no coating).
Old 26th July 2023, 00:08   #1295
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
you will always have a period of time when the current generation is still available in India before the next generation reach our shores and you might even get a handsome discount on the outgoing model towards end of stock.
That is a good point. But as per my understanding the Kodiaq unlike other models is not available always. So would there be unsold stock towards the end? Or would they just announce one fine day that they’ve sold out for the year.

Also the price hike is something to consider. In Kerala the on road price for the L&K is in the 52+ lakh territory. I bet the new one when it comes out would easily climb to the 60 lakh category. And who knows if they would stop there going by the current price trends. So will the new Kodiaq continue to be the “value offering” it currently is? Is the new car going to offer so much more as to justify the price hike? These are some concerns.

I just can’t seem to arrive at a decision.
Old 26th July 2023, 07:36   #1296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I just can’t seem to arrive at a decision.
The Kodiaq is a car that punches above its weight in the value luxury segment. The only other cars that I can think of that punch above their weight are the Wagon R, Crysta, and the M340i.

How much is financial prudence important for you? Given your history, I'd say not much. So, you can always get this Kodiaq, and trade-it-in for the next gen if you like it.

You'll take a **big** depreciation hit. But then, why not if you can afford it?
buzzy_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 09:43   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone

So I had a back to back look at the Volkswagen Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq recently.
I don't know if I was imagining things but the presumably 'lesser' brand Skoda made Kodiaq felt a tank and the Tiguans interiors felt noticeably of lower quality, fit and finish. I have thus far been led to believe Skoda is VW lite and VW was Audi lite.

I sure would like to hear from others more experienced with VAG overall, If indeed Skoda CKD models now fully match Volkswagen's in terms of build quality, both interior plastics as well as structurally.

Thank you.
Maky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 14:43   #1298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Hello Everyone

So I had a back to back look at the Volkswagen Tiguan and Skoda Kodiaq recently.
I don't know if I was imagining things but the presumably 'lesser' brand Skoda made Kodiaq felt a tank and the Tiguans interiors felt noticeably of lower quality, fit and finish. I have thus far been led to believe Skoda is VW lite and VW was Audi lite.

I sure would like to hear from others more experienced with VAG overall, If indeed Skoda CKD models now fully match Volkswagen's in terms of build quality, both interior plastics as well as structurally.

Thank you.
I always thought and believed Skoda always had built nicer cars than VW. ( the reason VW acquired them may be ?) The Czech have a different flair to building cars than Germans.

Take Octavia, Superb and the Kodiaq- All three would look and feel much nicer and slightly more premium compared to their counterparts, Jetta, Passat and the Tiguan. Although the build quality, fit and finish levels are comparable with what I have seen.

When you look at the Kodiaq and Tiguan back to back, you would notice that the VW is drab in comparison to the Skoda. I am sure the structural integrity, the chassis or the torsional rigidity will be 1-1 with both these SUVs but Kodiaq is a notch or two above with the material quality, cabin design and exudes a lot more elegance and poshness that the VW doesn't quite portray. This coupled with some more added features on the Kodiaq usually makes you lean towards in its direction.
vjbox is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 09:38   #1299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
Panoramic Sunroofs - A Bane in Hot Sun:

I found a space of about 15 to 20 mm between inner fabric & outer glass - decided to put some light material in between....
This is really bad long term. VOCs are released to the best of my knowledge.
If you must, look at alternatives that are UV and heat stabilized like nitrile derivatives? They'll help with sound insulation too.
wooka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 10:57   #1300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Update: Got the car back by evening - They did not change the wiper arms, but re-aligned it, and the problem seems to be resolved. The mechanic claims the wiper arm was disassembled previously and not reassembled properly causing the misalignment of the blades with respect to the windshield, causing the noise. He showed pictures of wrench ( spanner ) marks on the fixing nuts, which he suspected would have been done by the guys who did the ceramic coating, when they did the hydrophobic coating on the glass. Have to reconfirm this with Dabler Auto with whom I did the Ulgo Glass Coating for the car ( another story I’d like to share, super impressed with the body coating done)
I had observed a similar issue in the Octavia we purchased in March 2023, once Monsoon set in, the wiper blades were juddering a lot, the car being less than 3 months old I was wondering if at all the wiper blades were imported 2-3 years ago and have started getting hard, I called the service center and they told me there is no warranty on the wiper blades, as the blades were expensive and before I took a decision to replace them with new ones, I reached out to my detailer who had done ceramic coating for the entire car and the front windshield, he told me there is a possibility of the coating interfering with the wiper action, so I decided to get the coating removed and voila the juddering stopped, do check on this if the issue persists.
abaliga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:17   #1301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
This is really bad long term. VOCs are released to the best of my knowledge.
If you must, look at alternatives that are UV and heat stabilized like nitrile derivatives? They'll help with sound insulation too.
So far going good.
Will post if it goes south.
Old 30th July 2023, 11:21   #1302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSmoke View Post
So far going good.
Will post if it goes south.
VOCs give you cancer and other issues.
Anyway, please research your next choice of material. Wish you the best.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 11:49   #1303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjbox View Post
I am sure the structural integrity, the chassis or the torsional rigidity will be 1-1 with both these SUVs but Kodiaq is a notch or two above with the material quality, cabin design and exudes a lot more elegance and poshness that the VW doesn't quite portray.
I believe there is no difference in the quality of materials used or the fit and finish between VW and Skoda cars (at least between Kodiaq and Tiguan). It is the approach to the design and detailing of VW interiors (just like their exterior) which many perceive as drab, boring or unexciting. They are filled with plain surfaces, straight lines with minimal variation in colour/contrast.
Skoda interiors (and exterior) tend to be little more dramatic.
Personally I like the 'all black' interior on my Tiguan Allspace and more time time I spend (due to the traffic jams, you get to take closer look at it ) more I have come appreciate the functional designs with subtle elements but with no drama.
Guna is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 18:44   #1304
BHPian

Quote:
Concerns:

Formation of rain spots.
As a fellow Lava Blue Kodiaq owner in Namma Bengaluru, I fully empathise with your concern, and I have learnt that there is no easy solution other than spending quality time maintaining this beauty. I live in an apartment and with no access to power socket, so I have invested in a rechargeable battery powered pressure washer ( details posted previously), a battery powered handheld vacuum cleaner cum blower, Jopasu / California duster(s), umpteen micro fiber cloths and Meguairs hybrid ceramic detailer spray. Daily routine includes the Jopasu duster followed by the Ceramic detailer ( still a 15-20 min of elbow grease). The pressure washer is good for non contact body cleaning if muddy / after rains , but I make it a point to immediately dry off with ShineX Pro 1500GSM drying micro fiber towel and use the cordless blower to dislodge the remaining water from all the crevices ( I have hard water in my area that cause white water spots if allows to dry). Done full shampoo wash only twice in the past 5 months of ownership. The Ulgo glass coating also seems to help resist water marks and makes routine cleaning easier ( as compared to my civic that has no coating).
Old 30th July 2023, 18:48   #1305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post
I had observed a similar issue in the Octavia we purchased in March 2023, once Monsoon set in, the wiper blades were juddering a lot, the car being less than 3 months old I was wondering if at all the wiper blades were imported 2-3 years ago and have started getting hard, I called the service center and they told me there is no warranty on the wiper blades, as the blades were expensive and before I took a decision to replace them with new ones, I reached out to my detailer who had done ceramic coating for the entire car and the front windshield, he told me there is a possibility of the coating interfering with the wiper action, so I decided to get the coating removed and voila the juddering stopped, do check on this if the issue persists.
I have driven my Kodiaq in the rains only about 5 times since the realignment, but so far so good.
Curious to know how did you get the coating removed - did you get it buffer off with a glass polishing compound, or used any solvent wipe ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks