Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 21:43   #2071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
heres a review
Petes Tuned Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Review

and on the 2nd setting the box tunes the punto to 98hp and 227nm. add a filter and it will be pretty darn quick.
Now that is what I wanted to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi,

Not sure about the Punto sport or Petes for punto, but like akshay said there are many swift users who have pete. I know a person sterlingjames who has used Racechip on his swift which is far more cheaper to procure and also gives you same kind of power - and hence I have ordered mine too. Awaiting the racechip, once installed, I will let you know about the performance.

Awaiting,
Kailash

Thanks for the input, but I trust Pete's products. BUT I shall look forward to your review. Many thanks

Cheers
Old 25th May 2010, 22:58   #2072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Hi,

Not sure about the Punto sport or Petes for punto, but like akshay said there are many swift users who have pete. I know a person sterlingjames who has used Racechip on his swift which is far more cheaper to procure and also gives you same kind of power - and hence I have ordered mine too. Awaiting the racechip, once installed, I will let you know about the performance.

Awaiting,
Kailash
Kailash, is this racechip a branded item sold OTC... do we have a website for detailed product & dealer information ?

-B4W

PS: Don't bother answering...I googled for it and found it !

Last edited by better4worse : 25th May 2010 at 23:13. Reason: my bad...
Old 26th May 2010, 01:15   #2073
BHPian

everyone on team-bhp is just waiting for someone else to get the box first.
I would but I'm scared after reading about blown turbos and ecu scans picking it up.
Old 26th May 2010, 03:05   #2074
Senior - BHPian

I might sound naive, but it has always seemed to me that a tuning chip has to have an adverse effect on the engine (different from a remap, where the power/torque curves are effected). To me it seems counter-intuitive if a car company has to fit a variable geometry turbo, that costs quite a bit, in order to do something similar. Surely it'd be a lot simpler to just install a chip.

Doesn't running the engine in a higher state of tune, wear out parts sooner?
Old 26th May 2010, 04:21   #2075
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
heres a review
Petes Tuned Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 Multijet Review

and on the 2nd setting the box tunes the punto to 98hp and 227nm. add a filter and it will be pretty darn quick.
As per that review- at 100 kph, Punto with Pete's box only just managed to get marginally ahead of a stock Swift D!

So much for the hype of Punto sports being a hot hatch! (Punto Sports + Pete's would be interesting though!)
Old 26th May 2010, 11:52   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
As per that review- at 100 kph, Punto with Pete's box only just managed to get marginally ahead of a stock Swift D!

So much for the hype of Punto sports being a hot hatch! (Punto Sports + Pete's would be interesting though!)
You missed the next point in that review after your quote.

"At about 120kmph the Punto has clearly outdone the Swift by a cars length. The box cuts 4 seconds off the Punto’s 0-100 time with a ton coming up in 13.5 seconds. In gear acceleration is faster and the car pulls massively in 5th gear."

The review clearly states the reason why Swift has always been a zipper than Punto due to the fact it accelerates faster owing to the lighter weight while Punto is heavier and has taller gear ratios.

So much for the over expectation from Punto
Old 26th May 2010, 13:26   #2077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yeah brilliant.... I don't know of a tuning box which can cut the 0-100 kph sprint time by 4 seconds which is what the blog says. How are you so sure about the authenticity of their timings?

Instead of posting your negative comments in every Fiat thread, which is getting very repetitive and irritating if I may add, think about it first. Lemme clarify right at the outset that this isn't about car ABC vs car XYZ, no tuning box in itself would improve the 0-100 kph timing by 4 seconds without major mods to the engine.
Old 26th May 2010, 13:37   #2078
BHPian

Quote:

So much for the hype of Punto sports being a hot hatch!
Brings us back to the age-old debate, eh? Put the DDiS engine in a lighter tin box, and it will perform even better. Well, if that is all that matters.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:21   #2079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Yeah brilliant.... I don't know of a tuning box which can cut the 0-100 kph sprint time by 4 seconds which is what the blog says. How are you so sure about the authenticity of their timings?

Instead of posting your negative comments in every Fiat thread, which is getting very repetitive and irritating if I may add, think about it first. Lemme clarify right at the outset that this isn't about car ABC vs car XYZ, no tuning box in itself would improve the 0-100 kph timing by 4 seconds without major mods to the engine.
well OT but petes cut about 4 seconds off the 0-100 of my innova.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:27   #2080
Team-BHP Support

Note from Team-BHP Support:

This thread is about the Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

It is not about the addon racing chips.
Please get back to the topic.

Thanks.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:57   #2081
BHPian

My prospects of owning a Punto might come to naught, looking at the experience I have had with trying to get a proper TD. :(

Chronicled here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1906893
Old 27th May 2010, 00:03   #2082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Brings us back to the age-old debate, eh? Put the DDiS engine in a lighter tin box, and it will perform even better. Well, if that is all that matters.
Or may be in a chassis and four wheels without sheet metal - that will fly!

I think it will be better to talk about Punto S after it is launched.
Old 27th May 2010, 19:10   #2083
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Note from Team-BHP Support:

This thread is about the Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

It is not about the addon racing chips.
Please get back to the topic.

Thanks.
Imran, last one okay? Promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Extreme, agreed that 4 seconds is way too much. However, lets also factor in:

1. Linky : We timed it back to back, and the Octavia shaved 2.5 seconds off. Stock filter et al.

2. Applicable to all cars : 0 - 100 tests by the mags are generally performed on brand new engines (either brand new, or typically 2000 - 3000 kms). Now, we all know how an engine really comes into its own after 10000 - 20000 kms of driving. I'd say, there is 0.5 seconds right there.

According to me, a 2.5 - 3.0 second improvement is realistic (with a well run-in engine + power box + air intake).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
I would but I'm scared after reading about blown turbos and ecu scans picking it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I might sound naive, but it has always seemed to me that a tuning chip has to have an adverse effect on the engine (different from a remap, where the power/torque curves are effected). To me it seems counter-intuitive if a car company has to fit a variable geometry turbo, that costs quite a bit, in order to do something similar. Surely it'd be a lot simpler to just install a chip.
Agreed. We can continue the discussion on this thread.
Old 27th May 2010, 19:49   #2084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
IExtreme, agreed that 4 seconds is way too much. However, lets also factor in:

1. Linky : We timed it back to back, and the Octavia shaved 2.5 seconds off. Stock filter et al.

2. Applicable to all cars : 0 - 100 tests by the mags are generally performed on brand new engines (either brand new, or typically 2000 - 3000 kms). Now, we all know how an engine really comes into its own after 10000 - 20000 kms of driving. I'd say, there is 0.5 seconds right there.

According to me, a 2.5 - 3.0 second improvement is realistic (with a well run-in engine + power box + air intake).
The car in question is running just the petes tuning box with no other changes or enhancements to the engine which is why my comment. A 2.5-3.0 second improvement is with a well run in engine + power box + air intake as you said but thats not the case here.

In a friend's Punto which has already done more than 8 k's, the 0-100 kph time I feel is not more than 15 seconds. I am pestering him to shoot a 0-100 kph sprint video and as soon as I have it, I will post the same here.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 27th May 2010 at 19:51.
Old 28th May 2010, 14:21   #2085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
My prospects of owning a Punto might come to naught, looking at the experience I have had with trying to get a proper TD. :(

Chronicled here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1906893

Haha...reminds me of my days when I struggled to get myself a Punto TD. But then again that was just the first half of the story, I finally did get the TD and eventually bought the 1.3MJD...so I'd say hang in there buddy, for there is hope errr should I say.. a Punto waiting for each one of us out there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks