Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:06   #1306
Senior - BHPian

That would be about a litre(or slightly less) of top-up in less than 2700 km, isn't the engine oil consumption on the higher side ?
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:53   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Just got my Punto serviced today..had to pay 600 bucks for an oil change..didnt knw that was necessary at this stage

but what irked me the most was that the chargd me Rs 95 for ONE bulb (right indicator).

The tata service guy was cordial but was interested more in making me sign up for some 'extra services' rather than listening to my complaints.
Clear case of service station acting unprofessional. They are trying to make money off you instead of giving you good service.

1. Did they show you the oil level in your car before topping it up ? Rs.600 for selenia synthetic oil means they consumed close to 1 litre of oil for top up. That is WAY TOO HIGH (sdp1975 has already pointed this out)

2. My Punto's right indicator casing + bulb was replaced for Rs.64/- I am talking about the side indicator here. The one which is below the ORVM

I would suggest lodge a complaint with Fiat (call on their toll free number) and ask for an explanation.
Old 3rd December 2009, 14:18   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Just got my Punto serviced today..had to pay 600 bucks for an oil change..didnt knw that was necessary at this stage but the guys there insisted..they gave me the remaining oil though..it was 'selenia' I thnk..
The oil consumed was less than a liter because he says they gave him the remaining oil back. My guess is that they would have added about 500 ml.

My Linea too, was topped up with about 500 ml oil during the 3000 km inspection.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:10   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
@anshuman - synthetic oil.Yes it was a top-up.It has done 2700kms
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_rider View Post
The oil consumed was less than a liter because he says they gave him the remaining oil back. My guess is that they would have added about 500 ml.

My Linea too, was topped up with about 500 ml oil during the 3000 km inspection.
+1 to that. I was also recommended a top-up at the first service. I supervised the top-up and no more than 250 ml was used from the one litre container and the rest handed back to me. My service advisor was very transparent and told me in advance that I will need to buy a one litre container irrespective of the amount of oil to be used since they do not stock unsealed containers. I was told that is the directive from FIAT, but my guess is since the oil is expensive at Rs. 650 per litre and is not likely to be in too much demand outside FIAT cars, they do not want to be peddling open containers.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:24   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Was reading the recent posts. My Punto is up for first service next week. I was wondering what should I check / do if they recommend me an oil top-up?

Though the car has run about 2K Kms so far, there were times when I revved the engine upto near 4K rpms. (MJD) I'd like to know what kind of max rpms to which you folks have pushed the car. The turbo is kind of a let down, engine begins to choke on the higher mid range itself.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd December 2009 at 17:29.
Old 3rd December 2009, 17:55   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

@clevermax- I recently drove my Punto flatout for 40-50kms at 160kph @ 4000Rpm in 5th Gear. all MJD engines lose punch after around 3000rpm, i noticed this with Swift and Punto.
Old 3rd December 2009, 18:33   #1312
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Was reading the recent posts. My Punto is up for first service next week. I was wondering what should I check / do if they recommend me an oil top-up?
Why don't you check the oil level yourself before the service?

My Marina or any other car never had topups in between services. The oil change interval is 10000kms and there is hardly a 2 to 3 mm drop between services.
Old 3rd December 2009, 22:53   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
@clevermax- I recently drove my Punto flatout for 40-50kms at 160kph @ 4000Rpm in 5th Gear. all MJD engines lose punch after around 3000rpm, i noticed this with Swift and Punto.
160Kmph I never thought this is possible with stock Punto MJD!

One of my colleague, a team bhpian, has his Punto MJD's ecu remapped. I got to ask him whether he also feels the same about engine losing punch after 3K rpm.

Also would like to check out options like a Pete's box, if it's going to make the engine a little more rev-happy at mid-range and above.

and Thanks Dr. Trrk, that's a relief to hear that even your Marina did not need an oil top-up in between services.
Old 4th December 2009, 13:43   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankursharma View Post
my 2 cents of owning 1.4 E+:
Are punto owners facing the problem of the opening up of glovebox everytime you go over our potholed roads? Me and my friend are facing this problem,probably poor quality locking mechanism.
Yes, it is a problem in my MJD E+ too. It does seem to stay in place if you force-close it carefully. It is a major irritant .
Old 4th December 2009, 15:53   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
and Thanks Dr. Trrk, that's a relief to hear that even your Marina did not need an oil top-up in between services.
To add to that, the oil at cold need be only between the maximum and minimum marks. The maximum mark is not to exceed that mark while top ups or oil changes and the oil should never go below the minimum mark.

It is not needed to be at the maximum at every check.

This is what my Marina oil level was after 10000kms (going for its 50000kms service):
Old 4th December 2009, 20:15   #1316

Quote:
Originally Posted by privin View Post
Yes, it is a problem in my MJD E+ too. It does seem to stay in place if you force-close it carefully. It is a major irritant .
I faced the same problem with the glove box too. I specifically asked this to be looked into during the first servicing, and it seems to have been rectified now. The advisor dis warn me that he could not tighten it any more as it could cause the mechanism to jam.
Old 4th December 2009, 20:18   #1317

Quote:
160Kmph I never thought this is possible with stock Punto MJD!

One of my colleague, a team bhpian, has his Punto MJD's ecu remapped. I got to ask him whether he also feels the same about engine losing punch after 3K rpm.

Also would like to check out options like a Pete's box, if it's going to make the engine a little more rev-happy at mid-range and above.

I tried 160 on my MJD as well, at around 3800 rpm, but the car seemed a wee bit unsteady. But i don't think it can manage a lot more than that; it took ages to get there. Didn't feel it lost 'punch' after 3K rpms though - it seemed more or less linear.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:21   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

At 160 only the engine loses the punch, I felt no issue with stability. I am sure no other hatchback sold in india has better high speed stability. And i still managed around ~14kpl for those 50kms on NH10.

Last edited by .anshuman : 4th December 2009 at 21:22.
Old 4th December 2009, 21:45   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
At 160 only the engine loses the punch, I felt no issue with stability. I am sure no other hatchback sold in india has better high speed stability. And i still managed around ~14kpl for those 50kms on NH10.
Recently got back from a 1200km round trip.
Overall mileage : 17.2kmpl(MID).

70% NH4 and 30% State highways(single lane).
Been doing 100+ wherever possible and that includes the SH all the way to Yana(for those who know).
From Chitradurga to Tumkur : amazingly good road. Did 140-160 kmph for an hour.
Car was rock steady. No issues with handling. And the best part: completed 460 kms in one stretch.Absoultely no fatigue. Bad roads.Good Roads.Indian roads.Cows.Country fairs.The Grey monster gobbled it all up.

I am loving it

I did notice the glove-box on Day1 and got it resolved on Day 2.
Old 4th December 2009, 22:55   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

My car is currently with Dad, he uses it only for highway drives, He claims a FE figure of 20+.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks