Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2010, 12:58   #1426
BHPian

is it by any chance an airport and all those white puntos are taxis like we have white Indica taxis.

Now all Punto fans don't jump at me..
me too a Fiat fan..
Old 19th January 2010, 13:44   #1427
BHPian

Daewood , Punto is too big to be a chauffeur driven taxi

I think if at all it has to be used as a taxi , the customer should drive the vehicle to get the full value out of the fare considering the fact that it's feels so good to be behind the wheels of a Punto
Old 19th January 2010, 18:33   #1428
BHPian

1> Since clutch play is long in the Punto when starting from a halt in traffic in 1st gear it takes few more moments to move forward compared to those bikes or other cars who can move forward almost instantly. I never keep it half clutch in 1st gear in traffic at stand still and use the brake to move forward or stop, I guess thats what most driving schools would teach. I rather keep it in neutral and engage 1st gear and crawl forward by releasing the clutch slowly and using the brake/gas as needed. Is this the right way of driving a Punto in b-to-b traffic? Any comments guys?

2> Also one more silly doubt, in Emotion packs if the Auto AC is on with just the blower on (either in outside air mode or internal air circulation) and not the compressor (snow flake button) will it still reduce overall FE or is this as good as driving without AC. The intent is to avoid polluting outside air with the windows rolled down as at times you may not need AC as its quite pleasant weather outside.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:46   #1429
Senior - BHPian

2> It's as good as driving without AC.

Has anyone used System-D in their Punto MJD ? Feedback please.
Old 20th January 2010, 04:54   #1430
BHPian

Hello everyone.
I've gone through most of the ownership thread of Punto but most were MJD and very few 1.4L engines. I am considering a lot of cars but the 1.4L FIRE Emotion Pack just might be on the list. Will take the test drive also in coming days, but there is one thing I wanted to ask: Does the 1.4L really perform? Atleast when revved. I am avoiding diesel engine only for this factor. Petrols loved to be revved and my driving style is same. But again the question: does the Punto 1.4L FIRE really 'move' if revved adequately with 5 passengers and luggage? or even when I wanna go for a mad drive alone.
Thanks for help.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:01   #1431
BHPian

^^ Thanks Vibhanshu. I have the same question in mind. I am looking for a honest reply from 1.4L FIRE owners on low end performance and performance when loaded with 4/5 people.
Old 20th January 2010, 05:43   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
FIATians: Check out this pic of a parking space outside a Mall in Italy.

PUNTO dominating the parking space.

Found the pic in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...much-more.html
The first left one on the top row isn't that the much afraid face lifted version?
Old 20th January 2010, 09:10   #1433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Hello everyone.
I've gone through most of the ownership thread of Punto but most were MJD and very few 1.4L engines. I am considering a lot of cars but the 1.4L FIRE Emotion Pack just might be on the list. Will take the test drive also in coming days, but there is one thing I wanted to ask: Does the 1.4L really perform? Atleast when revved. I am avoiding diesel engine only for this factor. Petrols loved to be revved and my driving style is same. But again the question: does the Punto 1.4L FIRE really 'move' if revved adequately with 5 passengers and luggage? or even when I wanna go for a mad drive alone.
Thanks for help.

Punto on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The guy is a friends friend. Speed on GPS while he was doing this was 167 kmph. Talk about speedo accuracy.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:53   #1434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

The guy is a friends friend. Speed on GPS while he was doing this was 167 kmph. Talk about speedo accuracy.
Fantastic! Its fast for sure. Last question: How quick is it in terms of 'acceleration'. If we compares just the petrols (swift etc), then where does the Punto stands. Not just on papers but practically. Thanks.
Old 20th January 2010, 11:22   #1435
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone.
Thanks for help.
1.4 with 5 people and luggage isn't the same as with less payload(no car will be) and it needs to be revved a bit extra hard. Have never driven any other recent car's in that state so can't compare. I'll suggest, if possible get a test drive in your choice of cars with 5 people sitting and see which car's acceleration is acceptable for you).

Compare to Swift Petrol, in acceleration 1.4 is surely slower (heavy body on Punto + Swift's engine not meeting BS IV norms to do anything?).
It is also slower initially in acceleration than i10 Kappa.
The two car's I have driven before I bought 1.4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

That's me.
Old 20th January 2010, 12:56   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaisakhr View Post
The first left one on the top row isn't that the much afraid face lifted version?
You said it. Nice observation.

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2010, 13:12   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
1> Since clutch play is long in the Punto when starting from a halt in traffic in 1st gear it takes few more moments to move forward compared to those bikes or other cars who can move forward almost instantly. I never keep it half clutch in 1st gear in traffic at stand still and use the brake to move forward or stop, I guess thats what most driving schools would teach. I rather keep it in neutral and engage 1st gear and crawl forward by releasing the clutch slowly and using the brake/gas as needed. Is this the right way of driving a Punto in b-to-b traffic? Any comments guys?

2> Also one more silly doubt, in Emotion packs if the Auto AC is on with just the blower on (either in outside air mode or internal air circulation) and not the compressor (snow flake button) will it still reduce overall FE or is this as good as driving without AC. The intent is to avoid polluting outside air with the windows rolled down as at times you may not need AC as its quite pleasant weather outside.
Samsan - seems like your questions got lost.
I'll answer #2 first.

I use the method above daily when I need to switch between AC and non-AC. And I have not seen any drop in FE

The windows on my Punto have rarely come down. I switch between the AC or non-AC + fan when I find outside air to be pleasant (non-polluting) or I find the AC to be colder, I swtich to non-AC mode (snowflake is off).

Now for #1
Your suggestion is similar to what I use. My method is
- No half clutch or full clutch pressed. Keep car in neutral mode with brakes engaged - handbrake or regular brake.
- If on pole position, Keep a watchful eye on the traffic lights. If it has a timer, I engage the gear 5-7 seconds ahead of time.
- If there is no timer, I try to keep an eye on the signal in the opposite direction so I know its time to engage.
- Then follow by releasing the clutch normally, just like you mentioned.

Typically, I am not far off in my starts and in B2B traffic I have found myself to be in acceptable acceleration.
Old 20th January 2010, 14:37   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarenes View Post
Samsan - seems like your questions got lost.
I'll answer #2 first.

I use the method above daily when I need to switch between AC and non-AC. And I have not seen any drop in FE

The windows on my Punto have rarely come down. I switch between the AC or non-AC + fan when I find outside air to be pleasant (non-polluting) or I find the AC to be colder, I swtich to non-AC mode (snowflake is off).

Now for #1
Your suggestion is similar to what I use. My method is
- No half clutch or full clutch pressed. Keep car in neutral mode with brakes engaged - handbrake or regular brake.
- If on pole position, Keep a watchful eye on the traffic lights. If it has a timer, I engage the gear 5-7 seconds ahead of time.
- If there is no timer, I try to keep an eye on the signal in the opposite direction so I know its time to engage.
- Then follow by releasing the clutch normally, just like you mentioned.

Typically, I am not far off in my starts and in B2B traffic I have found myself to be in acceptable acceleration.
Thanks aarenes! for your detailed responses. Yes! very rightly said without the AC on there is not much gain FE, dont know if it hardly makes any much difference when you drive with AC or without.

Ofcourse when at Pole position you are the king so no one bothers except the honking. But when we tail in rabitting stop go traffic then it takes few micro seconds more to move forward I guess, may be its my driving style. Anyway thanks for answering my lost queries.

BTW I wish Fiat had lanuched a A/T on the Punto, it would have been a sure i20 A/T killer with good pricing.
Old 20th January 2010, 17:13   #1439
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone.
Thanks for help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi99 View Post
^^ Thanks Vibhanshu. I have the same question in mind. I am looking for a honest reply from 1.4L FIRE owners on low end performance and performance when loaded with 4/5 people.
I own a 1.4 FIRE. done around 7k kms in 3 months.

I drive her looking at the tacho with ac always on & almost no extra load other than me.

below 1500
rpm the engine makes a mild grrr sound like a diesel engine but not that loud. Its audible if the cabin is quiet. Which also lugs the engine. Not healthy.

1700 - 2500 rpm the engine is as quite as it can be. cruising in the city (or on highway 2500rpm) within this engine speed range is the best. balanced engine power and mileage. I generally drive within this range in the city.

beyond 2500 or 3000 - 6600
rpm is where the fun starts!

Within the city driving in this range tempts you to floor her all the way till 6600 rpm & That sweet engine tone just adds to your wide smile the fuel being flushed out through the exhaust.

The handling coupled with the "face ripping feeling for the co-passengers" brakes just makes pushing her even more easy. The performance is amazing as long as you dont come across a bigger 1.8L ~ 2.4L engine or a turbo charged competition.
TIP: when you brake, keep a eye on your rear mirror.

On the highway (pune expressway) , once the tyre roll noise kicks in around 100 km/h it starts to get boring listening to the engine with it. But on a quite road its different. Highway presence is amazing.

Performance with a heavy load within the limit (remember to balance out the load evenly on all sides on the highway)

Within the city; driving in the 2500 rpm range she still pulls. But this load can be more noticeable on a turbo charged car as the driver knows how she performs and the torque kicks in early but not able to pull that fast.
But in a petrol car, its leaner, once she gets moving there is not a major difference to when light.

On the highway, if you come across a uphill road, she will definitely show the weight slowing her down, but not for the turbo charged one. that will easily overtake you as if you were stationary. Due to the turbo and the early torque.

But on a flat road, hardly any difference in top speed than a lighter load. you will be faster than the MJD on the same weight load, if you maintain those high revs.

Overall:
As for the performance, speechless. The only thing that kills the fun is the FE. its a major concern with a heavy foot.

Hope this satisfies your question
Old 20th January 2010, 17:57   #1440
BHPian

Thank you, TC_aashay. That was really helpful. I did test drive it for a short distance but the traffic was heavy. I will have to drive it again. I am not much worried about FE as long as it keeps you happy. Thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks