Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 15:24   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I don't think it should be an issue. The only problem you will face is the kilometer reading error due to the change in wheel diameter. I'm not sure if this can be programmed into the car.
Even that is not an issue, because with 195/60 R15, the speedo over-reads by 6% from the actual speed (i.e. when speedo is 100, it is actually about 94 in real). So, even if you upgrade to 205/55 R16, speedo will still over-read than the actual speed.

I'm definitely upgrading to 195/65 R15 (which is same diameter as 205/55 R16) once my MJD tyres are worn out. I'm sure, they won't have the issue of those like ANHC, which is already having 20mm extra in diameter from the Thailand version.
Old 10th November 2010, 18:22   #302
Senior - BHPian

Linea T Jet quick views

Guys,

I drove a Linea T Jet Plus yesterday and here are my views on it. Also, I have tried to do a quick comparo between Vento, ANHC and Linea T-Jet.

Exterior: Enough has already been said about the Linea's looks. It is clearly the best looker among the multitude of sedans in the C segment. ANHC comes as a close second in my opinion. The Vento will also have its takers for its clean lines and ageless design but none come close to Linea. The R16 tyres look really meaty and enhance the T-Jet's appeal considerably.

Interiors Let me clear the air a little. A lot has been said about the drastic improvement in the 'plastic Quality'. It has improved, but not so much in the 'quality' of plastic as in the 'fit and finish' department. All panels look well fitted with little or no loose edges. However, unlike the outer shell, the interiors don't feel as robust! For e.g. you could bend/slant/move the glovebox, something you cannot even try in a Vento. However, I will disagree with GTO, when he says that there is no change in plastic quality at all. There is a change..however, its not really conspicuous. The 'soft grain' thing is mostly a sham. The plastics are somewhat softer, but not enough to categorize it into 'soft grain' (please sit is Jetta/Laura to feel what soft grain plastics actually are).

Overall, I think quality wise, Vento clearly has best interiors (plastics, fit finish and general quality; only if it had a better design). The more important question is- Are the interiors better than ANHC? I did not find enouh reasons to quantify them as poorer than ANHC either. So, let's call it a personal choice.They are certainly not deal breaker anymore. The Vento is definitely better than either one of them though.

Engine: All righty! This is what the T-Jet is all about. The Turbo charged engine. On firing the engine, it settles into near silent idle very soon. Once on the move, it flies. The first reaction I had was "Now there is an engine that the Linea deserved right from beginning". It is a hoot to drive. The engine pulls cleanly till 100 and you can't distinctively make out when the Turbo kicks in. The acceleration is strong almost right till its 'redline'. However, the engine tends to lose its poise once you cross 130 (which I did). The mid range is superb. The engine also has a racy note to it. So, whatever sound there is; is good sound.

How does this compare to the ANHC? It is interesting to note that almost all mags have reported 11 sec timing for 0-100, same as what Fiat claims. This is unlike most other cars which turn out to be duds on actual road. I think on drag race, the ANHC might just pip it to the race. But that is only because all Honda engines have ballistic top end (with bansai revs!). In real world conditions, the T-Jets feels faster than it is whereas the ANHC feels slower than it is. This is primarily the way power is delivered in the two cars. In ANHC, the power delivery is linear and much has already been said about it peaky nature. In the T-Jet, there is power everywhere in the rev band. I tried to bash it from first gear to 4th gear, it always pulled well. Trust me guys, this is the successor to OHC (if CIVIC was not coz its too costly)!! The Vento doesn't come even close. I found the Vento engine fairly mediocre, with it getting thrash half way in the rev band. Also, it also doesn't compare favorably with the ANHC and T-Jet on sheer speed or fun factor.

My 'Overall Picks' for the segment:

If somebody is considering a 10 lakh buy.

Diesel: Vento TDI; Buy with eyes closed. It is the best diesel sedan by a million mile.

Petrol: Surprisingly, I will say that the T-Jet trumps the ANHC in almost 'all' areas. Trust me, it has mush better 'real world' performance than ANHC.

Go for ANHC if you want an all rounder with no hassles.

Go for Fiesta if you you want fun but don't want to pay much for it.

All other cars (Verna - P+D, Aveo, Fiesta diesel, Linea MultiJet) are distant seconds and thirds.

Regards!
Abhi.
Old 10th November 2010, 21:38   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

However, the engine tends to lose its poise once you cross 130 (which I did).
Abhi, just curious to know what you mean by this? When i test drove in a little free stretch, I did touch a little over 150 just in a breeze.. Was it difficult in your perspective.. i mean acceleration after 130?

I too agree with the verdict.. For enthusiasts.. Diesel = Vento, Petrol = T-Jet.

Last edited by Sathya_sc : 10th November 2010 at 21:40.
Old 10th November 2010, 22:02   #304
Senior - BHPian

Abhi, I must say, that was a well written review

Quote:
1)The acceleration is strong almost right till its 'redline'.
Quote:
2)However, the engine tends to lose its poise once you cross 130 (which I did ).
For me, the sentences 1) & 2) looks a bit contradicting. :|

or did I miss anything?

Amith
Old 11th November 2010, 04:49   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
I called two dealers in Bangalore - KHT and Prerana and both they dont yet have a TD vehicle. Can anyone from Bangalore please confirm if they have booked a T-Jet where they did a TD ??

Thanks.
Surprising ! I did take a test drive last week both at KHT and at Prerna. I am getting my Tjet on Friday - my guess is the first Tjet to be delivered in Bangalore...or South

Cheers
Vinay
Old 11th November 2010, 09:38   #306
BHPian

Quote:
All other cars (Verna - P+D, Aveo, Fiesta diesel, Linea MultiJet) are distant seconds and thirds.
Beware, my Linea MJD is listening
Old 11th November 2010, 09:43   #307
BHPian

Yesterday I got my hands on Fiat Linea T-Jet . The attitude shown by dealership was very much positive. They came as a team lead by their sales manager whom I think is appointed by Fiat . And it was a car with proper odo reading unlike before , they explained that it is instructed strictly by fiat that a car for sale should not be used for TD. Fiat is doing whatever possible from their part to turn cards in favour of them .

As pointed out by many fit and finish has improved . Notorious ignition console has improved , but still there is some gap left . Plastic quality has also been taken care of. I struck the dashboard , A,B, and C pillar to verify there is no rattling .

Most funny thing I noticed is the fuel lid opener . It seems to be that fiat pick it from a street selling chinese toys . It looks nasty, fiat should change that immediately . Fuel lid while closed leaves a gap . It appears from rear as if it is not closed properly . Nobody will expect this kind of omissions from a car which costs 10 lk + .

When I started the engine it came to life with so much refinement . To hear it properly I sat near the wheel arch . It was very refined even from outside , and some similarity is there between 1.6 engine but less noisy . Engine got started with lot of ease and very few vehicles I came across got it right . You just need a gentle touch of ignition key to bring it to life . Engine feels more Japanese than Italian owing to its refinement .

Finding a perfect driving position was tough indeed . Front seats have improved but still it lacks the comfort of its rivals . Thigh and lumbar support is minimal . Driving for 200+kms at a stretch is unimaginable . Fiat should do something serious about it .

Engaging the 1st gear brings the clutch into focus . It is very soft and refined , there is absolutely no vibrations when you release it . Reverse gear is also an easy affair unlike palio . Vehicle feels adequately powerful , no strain even on first gear . In second gear tried 50+ kms did it well . In third gear tried 85 kms .

Differ to the view expressed by others about gear shifting . It was really nice and never missed a gear as in Honda city . Don’t think it has any problems , better than rivals . Nice to hold also .

One interesting thing was about the 'turbo factor' missing but it was not an issue . Never felt short of power though . In usual turbo charged cars it kicks in at a particular level and we have to take note of it . But in this car it was tough to tell whether the turbo is working or not . Power delivery was very smooth and comfortable for driver as well as passengers unlike verna and swift . And I strongly refute the turbo lag theory . It pulls cleanly from as low as 1100 rpm which I can vouch for . Definitely you need to downshift but only as in any other car . The torque is not felt unlike in my 1.6 engine , don’t know the reason .

You feel comfortable and super confident when driving it . I can compare it only to Merc W124(E250 D) . Can do better speeds without worries . I never drive close to the vehicle in front of me always keeps a safe distance , may be two fold to others . But Linea s ‘ dynamics let me drive so much closer than usual . Brakes are also fine .

It absorbed every bump with ease and never had to slow down much . Did drive through tvpm techno-park campus , our usual route . The bumps didn’t kiss Linea, it was well planted over every terrain . Linea passed through every bump and difficult situation handled by ‘ADVENTURE’ without any problem .

Wipers were perfect , came to know as it was raining . Wipers are better than sx4 , Honda city , cruze etc .

And the fuel economy

The time was 5.30 to 6 p.m .It is when traffic heats up in our bypass(where we stay) . As per the display it was 14.4 kms/ltr . Brilliant and definitely will give 22+ in new M.C road and over 17 in national slow way ( NH 17 and 47) .

There is lot of feel good factor about this car . First time ever have that feeling for a Fiat car .

Last edited by swathyd : 11th November 2010 at 09:59.
Old 11th November 2010, 11:48   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Abhi, I must say, that was a well written review
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
For me, the sentences 1) & 2) looks a bit contradicting. :|
or did I miss anything?
Quote:
Abhi, just curious to know what you mean by this? When i test drove in a little free stretch, I did touch a little over 150 just in a breeze.. Was it difficult in your perspective.. i mean acceleration after 130?
@Klub Class- What I mean by this is that although the car pulls strongly till 130-150, the engine tends to sound a lil coarse (just a lil; not much). As I said though,it is a racy type of sound and enthusiasts will love that tone.

Quote:
In usual turbo charged cars it kicks in at a particular level and we have to take note of it . But in this car it was tough to tell whether the turbo is working or not .
Same as I noticed. I consider this a good thing. See, there are a few other cars (say Punto MJD), which have linear delivery but very little power. In that one tends to think that its better to have 'sudden rush' than 'linear delivery but little power'. The T-Jet is different though. It is both linear in power delivery as well as sufficiently powerful.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 11th November 2010 at 12:02.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:02   #309
BHPian

I tried my hands on the Linea T-Jet today. I bunked office for this.
My My.. What a car it is. I mean the engine is tooo good. Linear acceleration at all gears.
I could not belive that I was driving such a powerful car. I have driven the ANHC, but it is definately not as peppy as this. I was totally totally bowled over.

The shoot out for me was Vento vs T-Jet.
(Vento vs T-Jet)
1) 4 month waiting vs 3 weeks max waiting
2) 15" alloy vs 16"
3) a passive but an efficient 1.6 vs The most poweful petrol engine sub 12L(maybe more)
4) fabric vs leather int
5) ABS vs ABS EBD
6) 10.0L vs 10.9L
6) .. the list goes on..

I am totally totally confused. The heart says TJet and head says Vento !!!
As of now, i will stick to heart. Can anyone here suggest to me otherwise ??

@vinay_ss - where did you book your car ? Which color ?

Last edited by madhukar_n : 11th November 2010 at 15:05.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:23   #310
Senior - BHPian

^
It completely depends on your monthly running.

If it isn't all that high, you should go ahead and pick up the T-Jet. Else, the Vento makes more sense.

Cheers
Old 11th November 2010, 15:43   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

My 'Overall Picks' for the segment:

Go for ANHC if you want an all rounder with no hassles.

Go for Fiesta if you you want fun but don't want to pay much for it.

Regards!
Abhi.
Very nicely summed up. I find your review quite informative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Beware, my Linea MJD is listening
Well, my Fiesta is all-smiles now

Quote:
Good decision--follow your heart as I did mine when I bought my Fiesta 4 years ago. By Vento I suppose you mean the petrol version, right? I'm asking because Essyouwee thinks it is a diesel one.
Old 11th November 2010, 15:53   #312
BHPian

vnabhi - it is the petrol i am looking at.
the vento interiors are slightly more impessive than linea as abhi has mentioned.

somehow the center console is slightly dull in the linea.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:04   #313
BHPian

Quote:

@vinay_ss - where did you book your car ? Which color ?
Quote:
the vento interiors are slightly more impessive than linea as abhi has mentioned.

somehow the center console is slightly dull in the linea.
when you buy car, follow your heart, you will never regret.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:09   #314
Senior - BHPian

Oops. My apologies! I was not tuned into the thread for a while, must have missed the earlier discussion!

In case its the Vento petrol, I think the T-Jet is definitely much better!

You would thank yourself 3-4 years down the line.

PS: Bangy road tax kind of ruins the fun of buying a new car. :(
Old 11th November 2010, 16:18   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, apart from the dull design, the Vento interiors are class apart. Not even a single ill fitting panel or loose end. The plastics are also the best. However, if you compare in totality, I will still go for the T-Jet, reason? 1.4Turbo engine. It feels faster than the 11 sec suggest.

Another perspective though:- I have said this before and will say this again- Most people tend to buy cars based on their pre fixed upper limits. If that is the case, its game on. Reason- Vento TDI Highline and Linea T-Jet Plus cost almost the same, despite running different fuels. In fact, ANHC also falls in the same price range. So, sensible choice will be:

Vento TDI v/s Linea T-Jet v/s ANHC:- Can you ignore the diesel mileage factor? If yes, go for the T-Jet. If not go for Vento TDI. If you want to play safe, ANHC.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Vento Pentol. Its just that the diesel is superb

Most Viewed