Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2017, 14:32   #3031
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Warranty? If not, ask a Michelin dealer to get it inspected from the company and advise. Difficult to say from the pic.
The tire is out of warranty and is more than 5 years old. If you click on the picture and view it on full size, you should be able to see a tiny crack running circularly all along the tyre just below the tread area.
Old 9th September 2017, 14:44   #3032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
The tire is out of warranty and is more than 5 years old. If you click on the picture and view it on full size, you should be able to see a tiny crack running circularly all along the tyre just below the tread area.
Yeah did that earlier as well. It's not looking good but I didn't want to jump the gun and say throw it away. An inspection would confirm your doubts and help decision making. Also, 5 years means it's pretty much past its use by date. Look at changing it if possible.
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 12:18   #3033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
Dragula I have something similar to share. I bought a the new Tjet emotion in Nov last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Agreed - what mind-blowing high speed stability.
Quote:
guys I'm picking up from last year for a few more rolling updates on my T-Jet.
Guys I am pleased to state that the my Tjet has now a successor (though I am still retaining her). It is the Abarth Punto. Ever since I test drove her last year the scorpion refused to stop biting. So I had no option but to go ahead and get me one this Dusshera. I am posting the initial pics. Will update whenever I get some time. But one thing is for sure, that is that Abarth is in a different league altogether. I find myself grinning away to Kingdom Come.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-image1.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-image2.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-image4.jpg

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2017 at 13:05. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Air Cav is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 19:46   #3034
BHPian

On a hunch I decided to replace my K&N filter with a stock unit I had lying around. The K&N had barely done 6,000km and looked clean to me but boy what a difference in performance with a new filter. The car feels about 10% faster on acceleration and pulls a lot harder towards the top. The idling is smoother, and in general the engine just feels a lot more refined. I am guessing that the Jet with its horrible air intake is very sensitive to air quality and even more so with remapped one like mine.

Moral of the story is to bench the K&N for now and just replace the stock filter every 6 months and see how that works out.
keroo1099 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2017, 12:43   #3035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Rethink on your last wish. The 125S tends to stall, has very poor low end(just when you take off) compared to 114ps version.
Could you please check and post what turbocharger the 125S has?

Quote:
It is the Abarth Punto. Ever since I test drove her last year the scorpion refused to stop biting.
Congrats! Now that it's been over a month, it would be great if you could pen down a brief report and mainly the differences you feel between the two. Nothing like hearing it from an owner's mouth.
Old 17th November 2017, 18:46   #3036
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone who has the tjet lowered their car to the first gen ground clearance?
Old 17th November 2017, 19:02   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Could you please check and post what turbocharger the 125S has?
It's the same IHI unit that comes in the T-Jet, with a slightly more powerful map. I think the map is the stock map that comes in the Linea made in Turkey.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 10:40   #3038
BHPian

here is a delayed pic of my three beauties back to back; am planning to keep all 3 of them for the time being. Spoilt for choice I guess though I am running out of parking space. I have done a some mods to the abarth for starts i.e. a BMC DIA intake, muffler and resonator delete substituted by a HKS glass pack in the rear. will go for Pete's remap a few monts down the line. I will post a detailed article for the same but in the abarth forum. Cheers and Happy Tjetting.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-image2-copy.jpg  

Air Cav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:31   #3039
BHPian

I guess its common knowledge that the Jet suffers when the ambient temperature is high because of the position of the air intake within the engine bay. Well, the problem isn't just the air intake but the intercooler which doesn't do much to lower the Intake Air Temp (IAT), and actually lets the temp increase no matter how you drive (blue line on the graphs) which hit 60+ degrees at one point in Bangalore, in winter!!!.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-icstock.jpg

So to cut a long story short, after a lot of discussions and chats with fellow Jet owners I went ahead and changed my IC after finding a suitable one with a close tuner friend. I have also done a 'juggad' Cold Air Intake(CAI) and taken a straight silicone pipe and left it at the gap between the headlight assembly and the radiator shroud.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-icnew.jpg

Initial tests are very positive, and the IAT stays almost constant (about 53 degrees) even in peak traffic. Fuel flow is also significantly less, which hopefully will translate to a beeter mileage. A highway drive is still required to confirm our findings, but the engine certainly sounds and feels a lot happier, and for the first time I have heard the top end snarl. My remapped car already had a great low end, but its even better now.

A big thanks to Adneo for accompanying me and getting all the data, and also to those who helped in other ways. You know who you are.

More details to follow.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjetic-35.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjetic-37.jpg

New IC
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-tjetic-39.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-new.jpg

Stock IC
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-stock.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 12th January 2018 at 07:05. Reason: Post edited on request.
keroo1099 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 17:38   #3040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
I guess its common knowledge that the Jet suffers when the ambient temperature is high because of the position of the air intake within the engine bay.

...I went ahead and changed my IC after finding a suitable one with a close tuner friend. I have also done a 'juggad' Cold Air Intake(CAI) and taken a straight silicone pipe and left it at the gap between the headlight assembly and the radiator shroud.
Great to see the results. I was following it closely and very good to see that it is working better than my estimates. I was of the opinion that this may not give a significant improvement over stock, but glad to see that it is working. Further, the jugaad intake will also be contributing a bit to it.

I hope it should be very similar to fit it on an Abarth as well due to the similar layout of the engine bay and same problem. I had dyno-ed the my Abarth and the drop after a couple of runs was significant - due to the high intake air temperatures. Looking forward to detailed updates. Meanwhile I've ordered an ELM bluetooth module and hoping to share the stock Abarth numbers with you.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 21:30   #3041
BHPian

Quote:
Initial tests are very positive, and the IAT stays almost constant (about 53 degrees) even in peak traffic. Fuel flow is also significantly less, which hopefully will translate to a beeter mileage. A highway drive is still required to confirm our findings, but the engine certainly sounds and feels a lot happier, and for the first time I have heard the top end snarl. My remapped car already had a great low end, but its even better now.

More details to follow.
Thanks for sharing. I've searched long and hard for a decently designed CAI for the Tjet for many years but couldn't find anything. Was wary of swapping the IC out for a bigger one. But you've given me new inspiration now. Can you share costs for the IC swap? Also did you come across any good design for the CAI?
nkapoor777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 20:07   #3042
BHPian

UPDATE ON THE INTERCOOLER:

The IC certainly works better than the stock IC when the IAT is high, and does bring the temp down when on the move unlike the stock IC which either stays put or keeps climbing, but its still not as efficient as the IC on the Baleno RS or the Aspire S (Thanks to Tharian who generously allowed us to take readings off his car). The RS and the Aspire have vertical IC's and the one on the Aspire has really short runs to and from the IC which helps with efficiency. To help us out further, Wildy decided to join in the fun and do some runs of his own in his Abarth UC, and confirmed our findings that the IC provided by Fiat is junk. Patchyboy had earlier done a few runs in nice cool weather and came up with these readings, and a few choice expletives which we all happily added to once we realized what was happening to our cars.

Ambient
At start 21°
At end 18°

Torque pro IAT

At start 27°
At end 45°

Temp at various points at end of drive

Intake 30°
Pre -Turbo 42°
Turbo 73°
Before IC 82°
After IC 53°
Before Throttle body 40°

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I've searched long and hard for a decently designed CAI for the Tjet for many years but couldn't find anything. Was wary of swapping the IC out for a bigger one. But you've given me new inspiration now. Can you share costs for the IC swap?
I just got lucky finding a suitable IC. I took a chance and asked a good tuner friend of mine if he had anything suitable, and luckily he did. What I have is custom built in the US and is good for 300+ BHP. Sorry, but I will need to check with him first before posting costs on this forum, but it is significantly cheaper than importing a branded IC. Done about 300 km of driving cum testing and the new IC is holding up well.

Quote:
Also did you come across any good design for the CAI?
I, and several others have racked their brain on trying to get decent fresh air into that airbox, but no luck so far. I thought I had a eureka moment by fitting a straight silicone pipe from the airbox and shoving the other end in the gap between the headlight and radiator shroud. The gap is about 1 1/2" wide, but the tube end gets pinched when you push it through the gap which reduces the surface area, and hence less volume of air reaches the box and becomes apparent when you push the engine.

Eureka moment 2, was snuffed out by the IC installation chaps which was supposed to be a K10 Alto's intake funnel, put vertically (~1.5 times the surface area of the stock intake) in the gap described above, and connected to the airbox with a 2.5" silicone pipe. The issue with this setup is that the air around the radiator is still hot, and IAT would go through the roof in stop go traffic. The other issue which was pointed out was the pipes that run between radiator and grill would restrict and breakup the airflow, and we would be back to square one.

So for now, we have put a 2.5" high quality flexible and left it in the corner, just above the fog light assembly. The location is similar to what forge uses for a CAI kit but with a cone filter. I am going to use the car like I usually do and since the pipe is a flexible will play around with positions to see what is best using the good old trial and error method.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-cai-oe-intake-silicone.jpg
Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-caialto-k10-funnel.jpg
2.5" silicone tube goes nice and snug around the end of the stock Air Intake tubing. Interestingly, the oval ends of the stock Fiat intake tube and the K10 Altos intake tube are identical in shape and size.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-caistraight-pipe.jpg
My original DIY for what I thought was an effective CAI using just a straight silicone pipe

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-caiflexi-tube.jpg
The flexi pipe I am running on right now left just above the fog lamp assembly

A PDF OF ALL THE GRAPHS FROM VARIOUS VEHICLES AND COMBINATIONS ON INTAKE AND IC.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IC-ALL GRAPHS.pdf (1.13 MB, 326 views)

Last edited by aah78 : 17th January 2018 at 20:38. Reason: Posts merged on request.
keroo1099 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 20:35   #3043
BHPian

Quote:
The flexi pipe I am running on right now left just above the fog lamp assembly
That pipe looks way too flexible and might collapse on to itself choking your intake.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 21:10   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
That pipe looks way too flexible and might collapse on to itself choking your intake.
It's actually really stiff. Didn't even need a bracket to keep it in place at near the intake mouth.
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2018, 17:58   #3045
BHPian

CAI update

Sorry for not updating the post earlier, got caught up in other things.

Option 1
This is the option the fabricator had suggested, leaving the 2.5" flexi without the funnel just above the fog lamp assembly since this was where he felt I would get the most fresh air. I tried it for a couple of days but the car just didn't feel right starting from a rougher idle. I could feel minor vibrations through the pedals and the seat which I had never encountered earlier and it was just annoying. Sorry I didn't take any data logs, but my subjective assessment is that performance was similar to the stock setup.

Option 2
Since I had the flexi connected, I decided to try the front CAI once more but this time using the Alto funnel to increase the surface area for air intake, and this is what I have been running for the past couple of weeks. The surface area of the stock inlet is about 4.9 sq in, and the Alto funnel is about 7 sq in, so even with partial obstructions I felt I was good to go. The 2.5" flexi is a little loose around the oval airbox and funnel openings (the Fiat and Maruti parts have identical shapes & opening sizes, go figure), so he used circle clamps to hold the flexi in place. I have been using the car for the past couple of weeks with this setup, and it just feels smoother, starting from idle to revving to past 5000 RPM. Again, I haven't taken any data logs with this setup (IC and CAI), but driving it normally in city like I usually do, my city mileage is hovering at 11.4 km/l a good 1.0 km/l more than what I usually got with the stock setup. Not done a typical highway run as yet so don't know highway mileage. All I know is that I can now comfortably ease off a nasty speed breaker in 2nd without worrying about the car stalling. I assume a combination of the CAI and new IC (which is working well so far) is allowing me to do this.

Attaching a PDF of the CAI if anyone's interested in trying it out.
[ATTACH=CAI-Fresh Air Intake.pdf]1722260[/ATTACH]

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CAI-Fresh Air Intake.pdf (1.07 MB, 418 views)
keroo1099 is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks