Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 12:30   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1agrawal View Post
I may be saying something which enthusiast does not care much about but also consider the fact that Linea was launched more than 10 years back and Fiesta even more so getting the spare parts might be an issue should you need to change something.
For e.g. Front Left Lower arm ( part of suspension setup; for my T-jet) is not available anywhere. For some reason, Fiat is not supplying this part.
I replaced the same last month, at vecto. This is for a Punto mjd and the delay in procurement was because of the trucker strike. You may have to pay an advance.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:50   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Wolf remap done! Loving the car even more. City driving has become much more easy. 3rd gear is the new 2nd gear

Yet to take it out on the highways though.

Still on P1. Shall try P2 after a few months. P3 requires HQ fuel.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 13:01   #3093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I may be saying something which enthusiast does not care much about but also consider the fact that Linea was launched more than 10 years back and Fiesta even more so getting the spare parts might be an issue should you need to change something.
For e.g. Front Left Lower arm ( part of suspension setup; for my T-jet) is not available anywhere. For some reason, Fiat is not supplying this part.
I got the wiper spray motor and the door lock regulator from Vecto for my Punto changed recently. They weren't in stock so I was asked to pay an advance and then they were procured. Took about a week to get the parts.
Old 5th September 2018, 16:02   #3094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Thanks! I do check 99rpm for parts. If my memory does not fail me, it was not available a couple of months back. Good to see that it's available now
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 09:21   #3095
BHPian

Just back from Hariharapura (close to Sringeri). This is the first time I have had the chance to drive the Jet for a sustained period at a constant speed post all the mods, and it didn't fail to impress. It's not that I haven't taken the jet out on the highway, but on the several trips to Ooty have always encountered traffic no matter what time I left which made it almost impossible to get a feel of what it's potential really is.

The roads for most part were superb, only the bits inside Chickmagalur District were bad in sections which was handled nicely by the suspension. The torque between 1500 and 3500 rpm in 5th is just incredible, and you don't need to change gears overtake anything from as low as 80 kmph (1500 RPM), and you also don't need to stomp the accelerator to get a response. A gentle flex of the right foot is enough to get it moving smartly in 5th from 1500 rpm !!! Even on the ghat sections on the way back, the car had enough pop to pull it through slow corners 3rd or 4th without having to shift down a gear.

If going was good the return was even better. We left the temple complex at 8:15 and made it to Taj Vivanta, Tumkur road in 5 hrs with a breakfast break !!! ( It took me 2 hrs to drop my friend and get home post that, about 30 km which is another story )

I pushed the car from Hassan on and was doing triple digit speeds with the road being relatively empty and, it just didn't feel like we were going fast at all. This car is just so easy to drive quickly without feeling on the limit, which results in feeling fresh at the end of a long journey. My Friend who was accompanying me has a back problem and said that her new Creta doesn't feel as comfortable or secure to sit in as the Fiat at speed.

Total distance 836.5
Overall mileage 12.0
Average speed 53 kmph
(And no, I didn't try the cruise control)

Amazing car that's going to be a part of the family for a long long time.
keroo1099 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 19:25   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Just back from Hariharapura (close to Sringeri). This is the first time I have had the chance to drive the Jet for a sustained period at a constant speed post all the mods, and it didn't fail to impress. It's not that I haven't taken the jet out on the highway, but on the several trips to Ooty have always encountered traffic no matter what time I left which made it almost impossible to get a feel of what it's potential really is.

The roads for most part were superb, only the bits inside Chickmagalur District were bad in sections which was handled nicely by the suspension. The torque between 1500 and 3500 rpm in 5th is just incredible, and you don't need to change gears overtake anything from as low as 80 kmph (1500 RPM), and you also don't need to stomp the accelerator to get a response. A gentle flex of the right foot is enough to get it moving smartly in 5th from 1500 rpm !!! Even on the ghat sections on the way back, the car had enough pop to pull it through slow corners 3rd or 4th without having to shift down a gear.

Amazing car that's going to be a part of the family for a long long time.
The Tjet is a beast to drive in curvy ghat roads. I have been to Chikamagalur belt 3 times and enjoyed driving the jet on these roads.
BTW, How are the roads near Sringeri? Didn't the recent floods take a toll on the roads? I went in February this year, the road widening on turns and twisties was in progress otherwise the roads were in good condition.
Old 19th September 2018, 19:40   #3097
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, How are the roads near Sringeri? Didn't the recent floods take a toll on the roads? I went in February this year, the road widening on turns and twisties was in progress otherwise the roads were in good condition.
The roads for most part were lovely, only the bits inside Chickmagalur District were broken and rutted. Chickmagalur town was the worst. Didn't go to Sringeri so dont know condition of road from Jayapura to Sringeri, but the road all the way to Koppa was superb.

Erratum : speed at 1500 RPM in 5th should be around 60 kmph not 80 as posted. Sorry
keroo1099 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 10:37   #3098
BHPian

Guys, Need help. I drive a Linea T Jet Emo Plus, done approx 46K Km running. Was running fine with minor horn (working on and off) and dashboard light niggles (dim glowing battery and central locking indicators).

Car was idle for 4 days and then one fine evening refuses to start. Sounds like a crude tractor engine trying to start when cranked. So i don't push it and decide to take it to Vroom Pointe Navi Mumbai.

Mohamad from Vroom Pointe gets back saying timing is out and needs timing belt replacement and alternator pulley is jammed, needs full alternator replacement as pulley isnt available separately. Quoting approx 12K for timing belt replacement (along with intake manifold cleaning) and 20k for alternator, along with 11k for routine major service which is due. Approx 45K for the full job. Recommends disc replacement etc etc which i take a call and refuse.

My questions,

1) Is it worth spending this amount in a 8 year / 46K T Jet ?
2) Is Vroom Pointe trustworthy or is it a rip off job like Landmark ?
3) Is the pulley available without the alternator ?
4) Your experience with an aging T Jet (cost of ownership) point of view ?

All inputs will help. Help a brother out !!

Mitul
Old 10th October 2018, 11:36   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsalltheway View Post
1) Is it worth spending this amount in a 8 year / 46K T Jet ?
2) Is Vroom Pointe trustworthy or is it a rip off job like Landmark ?
3) Is the pulley available without the alternator ?
4) Your experience with an aging T Jet (cost of ownership) point of view ?
1. You should always realise that as the car ages, the expenses will go up. But it is still cheaper than getting a new car right?
2. 100% trust worthy. Get in touch with Devendra / Sharad there and give my reference. I take my Abarth there for servicing (MH 43 AW 1370). Didn't have a positive experience with Mohamad.
3. No idea on this.
4. See, I think the main problem in your case is the low usage. Before the Abarth, I had a 2009 grande Punto 1.2. It did just 38k kms in 8 years and last 3-4 years there was some issue or the other. From experience as well as from others, including Devendra, I've come to the conclusion that one must do a minimum of 10k kms annually to keep the car niggle free. Also get your car in for a periodic checkup every 6 months post 5 years as if any issues come up, they can be diagnosed well in advanced.

Franky, unless you plan to buy a new car by the end of this year, spend the money and get it fixed and enjoy the car for couple more years at least.
blackwasp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 12:36   #3100
BHPian

Quote:

All inputs will help. Help a brother out !!

Mitul
Whether it's worth or not is something you can decide. For me, the Tjet is a special car and I don't think I can get another car that offers similar value even at double the price. Spending a bit and keeping it in shape will be a better decision.

The quote for timing-belt is incorrect. I got it replaced in my car in May this year. The timing belt is for Rs 877, Belt stretcher is Rs 2494 and labour charges are Rs 1770. All this is inclusive of taxes.

Alternator diagnosis and charges again seem incorrect. The pulley and alternator are separate parts. Pulley is around 6000/- and the alternator is around 20,000/-

If I were you, I will get the car inspected by some other mechanic or service centre.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:27   #3101
BHPian

On Vroom Pointe's insistence I had the routine 60K service (all fluids and filters change) done at 46K along with the timing belt replacement. I managed to save big on the alternator though. Instead of the Rs 20K for the new alternator, I had the alternator repaired by Pai Auto - Santacruz for a princely sum of 3500 bucks and ended up saving about Rs 16K. Got my T Jet home today and its running like a charm.

I agree with most peoples opinion of Vroom Pointe, they're reasonable people. I especially liked it that they didnt resist much when I asked for the alternator to be removed for having it repaired by me. They were insisting on installing a new one, but backed off when i resisted. Workmanship seems to be alright too.

The car is feeling peppier to drive post the service and intake manifold / EGR service.

Regarding my other questions, Ive decided to keep the car for atleast a few years more and will continue attending to it as and how the need arises.

@blackwasp and @Biraj Thanks for the suggestions and sharing your experiences, helped me take the right call.

One thing i've decided to do is to run the car more than what i do currently. @blackwasp as well as all SA's and Lokesh at Vroom Ponite and Pai Auto all on the same page. Will strive to do atleast 10K per year for the rest of the time I retain the T Jet.

My current running is split between my T Jet and another turbo petrol beauty, a Vento TSI Auto, lets see how it goes henceforth.

Thanks all.

Mitul
mitsalltheway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:57   #3102
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:

The car is feeling peppier to drive post the service and intake manifold / EGR service.

there is no EGR in the tjet
venkyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 23:54   #3103
BHPian

My T-Jet reached 59200kms and I took her to RamKay Fiat, Chennai for service.
There was some 'thud-thud' noise coming from both front suspension for sometime and recently I had noticed another additional sound, more liking a grating noise from the right side (esp while driving slowly over uneven roads, esp after rain). I am told that both the front suspension needs replacement and shock absorbers may also need to be replaced.
In addition, I was having slight difficulty in slotting the third gear off late (not always, but intermittent) and I am told that there is some leak and the gear box will be dismantled and gear fluid filled and this will cost significant labour charges.

Are all these expected at 60000kms for T-Jet, which is mostly used on highways?

I got a bit suspicious because they also tried telling me the clutch may need replacement, which I am convinced is in good shape even now. I refused to have the clutch replaced. No ways to check the other things (I am back in Pondicherry after leaving the car with them).

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 4th November 2018, 12:59   #3104
BHPian

Replacement of Front Suspension & dismantling of gearbox is uncalled for expense at 60K kms of Tjet. More so, you have mentioned that you drive mostly on the highway, where the roads are smooth and the gear changes are also infrequent. I am suspicious that the service center is simply trying to trip you off. Check whether the suspension is visibly showing anything wrong or whether it's broken. Gear stiffness can be removed by either adjusting the gear cable or maybe changing it. It might also require some associated parts change but dismantling the gearbox is too much. Shock absorbers do get weak after driving 60K kms but in general, there is no need to replace it. You can wait another year and then replace it if it's really required.
Once FASS asked me to replace all 4 discs at 30K kms. I took a second opinion and was told it should last till 60-70K kms!
When a clutch wears out, the pickup & mileage drops. If you are not having any of these issues especially the pickup then the clutch does not need replacement IMO. Yesterday I was going through the TJet service manual. A major service has been recommended every 60K kms and FASS is asked to check the clutch and replace it (if required). More Service center ignore "if required" for obvious reasons
I would suggest getting it checked at some other FASS or a trusted FNG in Chennai.
If you go with Ramkay's advice you might end up spending about 50K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparameswaran View Post
My T-Jet reached 59200kms and I took her to RamKay Fiat, Chennai for service.
There was some 'thud-thud' noise coming from both front suspension for some time and recently I had noticed another additional sound, more liking a grating noise from the right side (esp while driving slowly over uneven roads, esp after rain). I am told that both the front suspension needs replacement and shock absorbers may also need to be replaced.
In addition, I was having slight difficulty in slotting the third gear off late (not always, but intermittent) and I am told that there is some leak and the gear box will be dismantled and gear fluid filled and this will cost significant labour charges.

Are all these expected at 60000kms for T-Jet, which is mostly used on highways?

I got a bit suspicious because they also tried telling me the clutch may need replacement, which I am convinced is in good shape even now. I refused to have the clutch replaced. No ways to check the other things (I am back in Pondicherry after leaving the car with them).

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by amit1agrawal : 4th November 2018 at 13:08. Reason: Added more details
Old 4th November 2018, 13:58   #3105
BHPian

Thank you for your reply, I had exactly same doubts and hence brought it up here.
Unfortunately, it is not practical for me to personally go the FASS and check myself because I am in Pondicherry and there is no service centre in Pondy - I am servicing my T-Jet at RamKay Fiat, Chennai. I left the car with them and returned the same day.
Shall take this up with the concerned person at RamKay and see what can be done.
Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks