Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2012, 12:56   #1096
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60
The fog lamps in the Yeti give out white light. How effective are these in dense fog? I was under the impression that yellow lights are more effective. If so, what can we do about it? Thanks in advance.
They actually give out a pale amber light and I find the lights pretty effective, in tandem with the headlamps of course, in the mists of Coorg and Ooty.
It is true that Amber is the most effective illumination for misty conditions.
But truly, no artificial light can really cut completely through the mist or fog unless it is a very high powered Ship or Aircraft beam.
Old 11th November 2012, 14:37   #1097
BHPian

Good to know that. North Bihar plains are very fog prone. Winters evenings roads can get very tough to drive on because of it. I was kind of hoping Skoda would have planned for Yeti's home conditions.
Old 11th November 2012, 15:00   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures

Nothing can cut through fog, because it is a physical barrier. Different colours of light are said to suffer lesser or greater dispersion, but I don't think there is really anything in that.

Anyway, fog lamps are supposed to point down at the road immediately in front of the car.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 17:17   #1099
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Nothing can cut through fog, because it is a physical barrier. Different colours of light are said to suffer lesser or greater dispersion, but I don't think there is really anything in that.

Anyway, fog lamps are supposed to point down at the road immediately in front of the car.
Good one. Yes fog lamps give you that all important few feet of visibility just in front of the vehicle so that one doesnt fall off an edge or precipice or fail to make a turn etc.
Old 11th November 2012, 19:19   #1100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Actually fog lights are supposed to be spread so that a wide swath in front of you is illuminated. In contrast spot lights have a narrow concentrated beam for long distance penetration.

Regarding colour, yellow light - as the fog is white in colour it is very difficult to differentiate the fog from road when the light is white or slightly blue. With yellow light you can easily distinguish the road from the fog.
Old 11th November 2012, 19:55   #1101
BHPian

The issue seems to get important as I do not know if any additional lights can be temporarily installed. Skoda should have added fog sensors which would have changed the lights yellow or red as desired!
Old 14th November 2012, 10:23   #1102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
Hi Sheel congrats on your car. Which colour is it?

Have you visited the Mahananda sanctuary near Siliguri?
It is the silver one.

No, haven't visited the sanctuary. I don't even know where it is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
The issue seems to get important as I do not know if any additional lights can be temporarily installed. Skoda should have added fog sensors which would have changed the lights yellow or red as desired!
That is quite a fancy set up you are asking for. Don't think any Cars (normal, no exotics) come with this feature as standard.

And please don't use any aftermarket thing. I am going to make sure that no wires are cut even for any accessory. Don't want to take any chances.

No replies for my comments here :|
Old 14th November 2012, 11:58   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

Brakes lack bite initially. The Car comes to a complete stop w/o any drama, but believe the initial 25% of pedal movement doesn't really slow the Car. Is it the same across?

Hi Sheel, yes, mine too breaks are a bit late to engage. For first month or so I was worried hat they are not engaging quick enough. Once driving in traffic, car in front of me was very quick to break and Yeti was also able to cope up with it keeping safe distance from the car in the front. I am no longer worried - it does stop very quickly when required.

I too come from petrol hatch.. Used to stall it 2 times a day initially. Now I am getting used to watching the RPM and shift indicator on the dashboard to keep her in the right gear.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:20   #1104
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy

Hi Sheel, yes, mine too breaks are a bit late to engage. For first month or so I was worried hat they are not engaging quick enough. Once driving in traffic, car in front of me was very quick to break and Yeti was also able to cope up with it keeping safe distance from the car in the front. I am no longer worried - it does stop very quickly when required.

ght gear.
Driving a Skoda Yeti, with its powerful 4 disc + ABS + EBD setup one will have to worry if the vehicle behind one can stop as effectively as the Yeti can!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 19:45   #1105
BHPian

With a long weekend and the Diwali behind, getting up in the morning and dragging oneself to work for a 9 AM meeting can be quite depressing. Yet, after having covered 3 quarters of the distance between work and home, I found myself wearing a satisfying grin...

Trip distance 32 kms, drive time 56 mins and trip consumption 19 kmpl. HA HA..PROUD OF MY MAGNIFICENT YETI...
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Review, Price & Pictures-city_mileage_2.jpg  

Old 14th November 2012, 20:09   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Driving a Skoda Yeti, with its powerful 4 disc + ABS + EBD setup one will have to worry if the vehicle behind one can stop as effectively as the Yeti can!
Shankar, I loved the way you have mentioned about the braking ability of this lovely SUV, YETI.

I would have taken it way back, had it been under my budget.

Poor man - me.
byomjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 20:22   #1107
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by byomjeet

Shankar, I loved the way you have mentioned about the braking ability of this lovely SUV, YETI.

I would have taken it way back, had it been under my budget.

Poor man - me.
Save your money, bit by bit like I did. Then go and buy the Yeti. You wont regret it one bit! A solid, loveable, safe, high quality, fine vehicle, which will grow on you.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 08:22   #1108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

I too come from petrol hatch.. Used to stall it 2 times a day initially. Now I am getting used to watching the RPM and shift indicator on the dashboard to keep her in the right gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
I believe the Car stalls because most used to driving the diesels, usually stick to 2nd in crawl mode & usually in a higher gear than required on most occasions. I religiously, always snick the gear which is demanded from the drive-train, especially when slowing down
The brakes as mentioned by Shankar are powerful enough. It is just that the initial pedal movement doesn't yield much result (which I think is weird) & hence my observation.

The brakes are brilliant once they start to bite and stops one on a dime.

Quote:
Indeed. I always make it a point to roll down & flag. I know some motorists are always distracted.

Quote:
Save your money, bit by bit like I did. Then go and buy the Yeti. You wont regret it one bit! A solid, loveable, safe, high quality, fine vehicle, which will grow on you.
+1
Old 30th November 2012, 16:23   #1109
BHPian

I am half way through a 1100km trip. 150 Kms at a top speed of 80kms and 90 % of the rest at 100kms an hour. The average fuel consumption as per the mfd is 16.7 Kms/l. Will fill her up tomorrow. Even if the tank to tank consumption is a little less, I think it will still be great as I have just crossed the 1500km mark. She really stops when required and steps up the pace when asked to with no fuss. Silky.
Old 4th December 2012, 21:50   #1110
BHPian

I am touching 21,000 kms on my Yeti now. The next service is due at 22.5 K I think. At the 15,000 Kms service they changed the oil and told me the filters were still good enough for a while.
I have a damp doubt in my mind these few days...maybe it is because I am more or less used to the response of the engine. Still and all, I have a feeling that the engine is not responding the way it used to earlier. Do the filters have anything to do with this? Or could it be just my imagination?
If it indeed the filters, how do I find out whether they are getting clogged?
I know how to open the bonnet and pour water into the chute that fills the wiper washer.
The rest is well..., I am embarassed!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks