Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2017, 23:52   #8941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Little skeptical about Fuel & water pump whilst they may give up anytime soon. Most failure parts from SKODA/VW Group.
Water and Fuel pump failure is more in 2.0 TDi engine. Not seen with 1.6/1.5 TDi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
My car's been seeing very less usage, and just beginning the 7th year of running (although still around 72k kms). This is a useful reference as a starting point.
Mine is at 32,700 kms 6.75 years. You are long way ahead.

Quote:
Was trying to see if there are ownership threads that talk about 7th & 8th year of ownership of a TDi; don't see any being updated on the forum.
Long time since I updated my ownership thread. Will do it. At most Vento would be in 7th Year of ownership since it was introduced around Q3 2010.

Quote:
For sparingly use : you can vouch for Japs. Will start with half-a-crank though left idle for a month
I can vouch for Vento TDi. Sparingly used and starts at half crank.
Old 3rd December 2017, 08:46   #8942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post

Also, I will be using the car sparingly - mainly on weekends. How does the Vento react to such intermittent usage? I have a Swift presently which gives me no trouble at all on this front.
My Vento Tsi sees similar usage. Mostly on weekends. Have not faced any issues. Been 4 years now. The price does looks good. I think a new HL will cost 14L plus. Considering that an asking price of 9.7 looks very good. You mentioned dent work. Is there any accident history?
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:22   #8943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You mentioned dent work. Is there any accident history?
The owner claims that the car was scraped by another when it was parked. There are dents on one side starting from the tail light up to the fender in front. The running board is also dented in one place.

Why the owner didn't get it fixed under insurance, I don't know. The insurance has now expired and I'm guessing on renewal this work will not be covered. I'm taking the car to the VW service centre tomorrow for a checkup. Will also get an estimate for the repair work.

Will be taking a call once I get quotes for the repair.
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:29   #8944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Why the owner didn't get it fixed under insurance, I don't know. The insurance has now expired and I'm guessing on renewal this work will not be covered. I'm taking the car to the VW service centre tomorrow for a checkup. Will also get an estimate for the repair work.

A year old car with pending repair work and expired insurance? Those are important alarm bells wrt how the car has been maintained over the last 15 months. I'd still be ok if this was a 3-5 year old car where the owner might choose to start delaying the maintenance work, but for a still new car that is under warranty, this raises questions on the ownership.

Get service records too. And I'd suggest a full check of the car condition. It's still under warranty; so if this goes in a positive direction, also start conversations on getting extended warranty from VW.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 09:49   #8945
BHPian

Quote:
A year old car with pending repair work and expired insurance? Those are important alarm bells wrt how the car has been maintained over the last 15 months. I'd still be ok if this was a 3-5 year old car where the owner might choose to start delaying the maintenance work, but for a still new car that is under warranty, this raises questions on the ownership.

Get service records too. And I'd suggest a full check of the car condition. It's still under warranty; so if this goes in a positive direction, also start conversations on getting extended warranty from VW.
I agree - most people would've been careful with a brand new car. I did notice that the owner wasn't the most careful - there are scratches on the HU touchscreen already and in some other places.

As far as insurance is concerned, the owner has let it lapse since he is anyway looking at selling the car.

But yes, I need to be careful with this kind of background.
Old 3rd December 2017, 11:14   #8946
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree - most people would've been careful with a brand new car. I did notice that the owner wasn't the most careful - there are scratches on the HU touchscreen already and in some other places.

As far as insurance is concerned, the owner has let it lapse since he is anyway looking at selling the car.

But yes, I need to be careful with this kind of background.
Also make sure the warranty has not been impacted in any way. Example:Was the 6month checkup and 1st service done on on time. VW can be finicky about warranty and considering it is DSG, you need to ensure you are covered for 4 years with warranty and extended warranty.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2017, 12:57   #8947
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest being careful about this deal. The way a car is maintained speaks volumes about how the owner treated her. I personally own a second-hand car which was not treated well in some areas and I had to spend extra to get those things rectified. Do check the service record of the car to satisfy yourself that the car was regularly maintained as per VW recommendation. Speak to some senior service representative to find out more details of the car.
As the car is just a year old and still under warranty, there is little motivation for the existing owner get it serviced/repaired outside but still make sure that it was never taken outside of authorized service centers. Being careful now will avoid surprises later.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 00:54   #8948
BHPian

Hi All,
A friend of mine is visiting USA. I wanted to upgrade suspension of my Vento TDI for quite some time to B6 bilstein. Most of my search redirect me to UK links.

If someone has done extensive research than can they please guide me.
1. Is it available easily in USA as well. If yea than can you please paste link.
2. Financially does it make sense to get it from USA or still order from UK based sites and pay custom duties.
Old 5th December 2017, 08:42   #8949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are dents on one side starting from the tail light up to the fender in front. The running board is also dented in one place.

AFAIK VW charges 5k per panel for this kind of work, labour additional. The good news is that work done at the service centre will keep their 6 year anti-perforation warranty for the body alive.

Vento TSI has that troublesome gearbox, so please ensure that the car has been taken for scheduled service to keep the warranty alive. Also check if extended warranty is available for purchase - highly recommended for this gearbox alone.

How much has the car run? Vento are mechanically very abuse friendly (gearbox apart), so if the car checks out then you can still consider it.
Old 9th December 2017, 18:23   #8950
BHPian

Sharing an observation.

This time i have got my car serviced at FNG 2 months ago. It was 1.6 TDI Vento. FNG did a great job and was satisfied with service itself.

1) Brake pad changed to Bremboo. Working good
2) Engine Oil. VW 5W40 Castrol purchase from A.S.S.
3) Cabin Air filter: I got it changed 2-3 months before service so did not got it changed again.

Now here is the parts which i have got from Metro Spares Malviya Nagar Shop.

1) Oil Filter: Quality of oil filter was seemed good. Part number was also exactly as mentioned by VW.
2) Fuel filter: Got Sofima fuel filter installed. I believe this is also OEM for VW. Let me know in case i made mistake here.
3) Air filter: Now this part i had my doubts. Part number was 6RO-129-620-A and it was printed in yellow and not engraved.

Car has driven 3-4K after service in last 2 months and i believe power delivery is slightly less and lack that strong punch. At the same time fuel efficiency has increased which also seems like a sign of trouble. Earlier my Full tank used to go empty in ~750KM but now its going empty in 850-900KM.

I am suspecting that Air filter is not good and engine is not getting proper air to burn. This is leading to less fuel consumption and i am seeing higher efficiency. Does it make sense to change the Air filter by OEM LUMAX one?
Old 9th December 2017, 18:45   #8951
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Sharing an observation.

This time i have got my car serviced at FNG 2 months ago. It was 1.6 TDI Vento. FNG did a great job and was satisfied with service itself.
I am suspecting that Air filter is not good and engine is not getting proper air to burn. This is leading to less fuel consumption and i am seeing higher efficiency. Does it make sense to change the Air filter by OEM LUMAX one?
Actually it is just the opposite. With denser filter material, the engine gets less air. As the fuel delivery remains same you will get lower FE rather than higher.

What I suspect is that the new air filter is more efficient compared to your old one (which may over time have got clogged and let less air in). As it is, with time the air filter gets less efficient as it accumulates more and more dust, hence the FE falls.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 18:55   #8952
BHPian

Thanks for quick response.

Another point here I was considering is less power punch/pickup
Old 9th December 2017, 19:12   #8953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karansm4u View Post
Thanks for quick response.

Another point here I was considering is less power punch/pickup
Leaner mixture (more air) will result in slightly lower power but better FE, it is a trade off juggled by most of us.

I would also get the ECU checked, as it is supposed to adjust the fuel to air mixture based on inlet air density. If there is a mass sensor for checking air density that may be the culprit for the lean mixture.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:13   #8954
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Spoke to my service adviser last night. He had confirmed Water pump would also be replaced as part of 120k Kms Service. Approximate cost for Timing belt kit + Water pump is 30K and 14K for the regular service.
Ramsagar, did you complete this service? Would like to see the pricing of the components indicated in the invoice. Please share the invoice here if you can. Thanks!
Old 15th December 2017, 14:34   #8955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Ramsagar, did you complete this service? Would like to see the pricing of the components indicated in the invoice. Please share the invoice here if you can. Thanks!
Got my car back from 120k kms service last week. The total bill came up to 46735/- This is the highest "Regular" service bill I paid so far apart from regular wear & tear whilst owning for 6.5 years. My usual bill use to be 12-14k max. per service.

These are the parts & prices that were indicated in service bill. Sorry was not able to upload the service bill.

Regular Service - 10005/-
Toothed Belt Repair kit - 10582/-
Water pump with gasket - 6161/-
V-Ribbed belt - 907/-
Fuel pump - 5895/-
Labor+C.GST+S.CGT - 13185/- (Service labor + Timing kit labor+Fuel pump labor+)
-------------------
Total Bill 46735/-

Fuel pump : I've insisted the Fuel pump to be replaced as it had crossed more than a lakh. My service adviser : "It had started to develop hissing noise saaar may give up any time". I don't want to take any chances, got it replaced.

Got my Injectors checked as well. Got a clean chit on that.
For all the fellow Polo/Vento owners, get the Fuel pump replaced as a precautionary.
Ramsagar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks