Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2014, 09:53   #1516
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries

Came back yesterday, started from Kannur at 1.30 PM and reached Electronic city at 8.30 PM. No progress in last 10 days, bad stretch remains around 5 KM.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2014, 20:17   #1517
BHPian

Hi,
Doing bangalore-kannur tomorrow. As per the latest posts I will take Gonikoppal route. I hope I can do the bad 5 km in my i10. Please let me know if it wont be doable.

Thanks
Biju
Old 22nd December 2014, 09:45   #1518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijubalan View Post
Hi,
Doing bangalore-kannur tomorrow. As per the latest posts I will take Gonikoppal route. I hope I can do the bad 5 km in my i10. Please let me know if it wont be doable.

Thanks
Biju
Yes you can. At present, this the best and shortest route you can take.

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:16   #1519
BHPian

Did Kannur(Kuthuparamba) - Bangalore on 22nd Dec. The 5KM stretch from Anechowkur check post is still under construction and have some loose gravel. But can easily be covered in any vehicle. Apart from this stretch the road is a treat to drive.
Watch out for speedbreakers...expect them to be there when you approach villages/junctions en route.

Yelawala - Srirangapatna stretch : Construction work underway at the KRS junction railway underpass. Also a few bad stretches and potholes. Also heavy traffic to KRS due to vacation & tourist season. Mysore ring road may be a better option if you are driving at non-peak hours.
MSAneesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2014, 11:27   #1520
BHPian

Went to Kannur on Christmas day and came back on 28th (Sunday). Nothing new, 5 Kms of bad stretch just before Anechowkur check post is the only bad part to be worried about. Work is in progress here, but is too slow.
Took Mysore outer ring road instead of KRS road. I feel ORR is way better (faster and better road quality) comparatively.
Kannur town and NH17 (Chovva to Puthiyatheru) are literally choking/dying with unbelievable amount of traffic. Even a minor incident can cripple the entire flow of traffic.
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:51   #1521
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I am planning a bangalore - tirunelly temple trip. I have identified 4 routes. Need your help choosing which one -

(1) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - nagarhole - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(2) bangalore - mysore - hunsur - gonikkoppa - kutta - tholpetty - tirunelli
(3) bangalore - mysore - handpost (near HD kote) - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli
(4) bangalore - mysore - gundlupet - bathery - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli

(1) and (3) are of roughly same distance , (2) is longer by 25-30 km, (4) is longer by 55-60 km.

Since I will be driving a sedan (rapid), MY ONLY PRIORITY IS KINDER ROAD SURFACE - where I am able to do 40-50 kmph with least amount of potholes.

regarding (3), any latest updates on the current road condition b/w "handpost" and "kattikulam" ?

Appreciate your help.
Old 2nd January 2015, 21:43   #1522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
(3) bangalore - mysore - handpost (near HD kote) - kattikulam (just before mananthavady) - tirunelli
This would be my suggestion.
As per my friends who are from Mananthawadi side, the road is in good condition and nothing to worry at all

Thanks
Rajesh
Old 8th January 2015, 13:45   #1523
Senior - BHPian

I came back from Kannur on 3rd December. There is some minor progress in 5KM under construction stretch.
Old 8th January 2015, 22:09   #1524
BHPian

Drove down from Kannur on 5th Jan. The bad stretch is 4km now. Work is in progress.
Old 27th January 2015, 10:51   #1525
BHPian

Did a round trip to Kannur. Started on 22nd Jan 5:00 Am and took Bangalore - SrirangaPattana - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makkutta - Kuttupuzha - Mattannur - Kannur, reached Kannur by 11:30 with a 45 mins breakfast break near Hunsur.
The connection between SrirangaPattana to Hunsur road is blocked and should be avoided better to take the ring road. Work is very slow and looks like it will take a Month or so to complete.
Road work going on at the forest stretch for about 4 KM and should complete it in a months time. Every where else roads are in great shape.
Took Mysore - Malavalli - Kanakapura- Bangalore while coming back. The stretch between Mysore - Malavalli road work happening at lot of places should avoid this route till the road work is complete. Everywhere else roads are good.
ViMo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2015, 15:28   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViMo View Post
Did a round trip to Kannur. Started on 22nd Jan 5:00 Am and took Bangalore - SrirangaPattana - Hunsur - Gonikoppal - Makkutta - Kuttupuzha - Mattannur - Kannur, reached Kannur by 11:30 with a 45 mins breakfast break near Hunsur.
That is very good timings - Bangalore to Kannur in 6.5hrs!!

I did my very first night drive last week. Started 11pm from KR Puram and reached Iritty at 5.30am. Very peaceful drive - just make sure one get enuf sleep before the journey and has a good companion. Took the Mysore Outer Ring Road instead taking right at Srirangapatna.
sanjaykk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 19:30   #1527
Senior - BHPian

Drove Bangalore-Kannur solo today in my Punto. Started at 4.55 AM from my home at Amruthahalli (near Hebbal) and reached Alavil, Kannur at 11.35 AM with 25-30 minutes overall breaks. Did the entire stretch without touching triple digit speeds!
Road condition ( via Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Virajpet-Iritty) remains excellent except 2.5 km inside the forest stretch. Last december when I did the route, this bad stretch was around 4 kms, so the work seems to be happening at a very slow pace.
I always prefer Mysore ORR to bypass Mysore city. Now the entire stretch is getting a new layer of asphalt. Diversions are in place till KRS road cross for the asphalting work and then on it is beautiful new tarmac. The makutta ghats are in pristine condition without a single pothole!

Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-blrmys.jpg

Last edited by sandsun7 : 15th February 2015 at 19:32.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2015, 22:29   #1528
Distinguished - BHPian

Thought this is the most appropriate thread to ask this question. Did a trip to muzhapilalamgad beach from calicut. On the return ( after taking 2 hrs to crawl from thalassery to vadakara), at one of the signals , I crossed just as it turned red and saw what I think was a traffic camera going off. Question is whether it was actually a traffic camera and also where do I check for any fines? Mine is a KA regn.
Old 16th February 2015, 09:53   #1529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thought this is the most appropriate thread to ask this question. Did a trip to muzhapilalamgad beach from calicut. On the return ( after taking 2 hrs to crawl from thalassery to vadakara), at one of the signals , I crossed just as it turned red and saw what I think was a traffic camera going off. Question is whether it was actually a traffic camera and also where do I check for any fines? Mine is a KA regn.
Which signal was it? Kozhikode Bypass?. I don't think Kerala police have some kind of arrangement with KA police for sharing vehicle data for traffic offenses, so unlikely that you would get a fine. I may be wrong though. If it was a KL registered vehicle, the fine intimation (with the photograph) would come to the vehicle RC owner's postal address.
The report would be something like this:
Bangalore - Kannur : Route Queries-18tvgad01traffics_360342e.jpg
image courtesy: The Hindu
Old 16th February 2015, 10:00   #1530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Which signal was it? Kozhikode Bypass?. I don't think Kerala police have some kind of arrangement with KA police for sharing vehicle data for traffic offenses, so unlikely that you would get a fine.
Attachment 1340237
image courtesy: The Hindu
Thanks for the inputs. Yes, I think the 2nd Signal on the bye-pass when coming from Mahe side. Wonder if there is some web site to check for offenses. Maybe will post on the Kerala thread to see if any Bangalore folks have faced such an issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks