Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2016, 09:30   #931
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Query: NICE Road - Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That's fine; you obviously use the NICE Road a lot more than me; for you the risk-reward equation is titled to the other side. But please don't assume that since it is not being misused now, it will not be misused ever.
You didn't note the fact that I mentioned about this right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And that is exactly what I was wondering if that happens. The onus here is entirely on the Toll operator to tally the number with what is displayed on his screen. Not an entirely foolproof system that way.
Quote:
From that article: "At the toll plazas, users will have to open the MobiKwik app on their phone and scan the QR code on the toll plaza." - Mobikwik have thought about this problem and have solved it in a preventive manner (missing from Momoe).
Exactly the reason to mention that here. Hope I have made myself clear now
Old 28th November 2016, 10:29   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

From that article: "At the toll plazas, users will have to open the MobiKwik app on their phone and scan the QR code on the toll plaza." - Mobikwik have thought about this problem and have solved it in a preventive manner (missing from Momoe).
But what if there is no GPRS/mobile internet in the user's phone at that point? Will this still work offline?

Coming back to Momoe, this e-wallet is not some thing that can be used only at NICE toll booth. There are many supermarkets, restaurants etc who accept payments through Momoe wallet. There are 3 supermarkets around the area where I live who accepts Momoe wallet payment. So in case you have some left over balance in your wallet and you have no plans to use NICE road in the near future, the same can be used at any of the partner outlets.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 10:36   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
But what if there is no GPRS/mobile internet in the user's phone at that point? Will this still work offline?
All in all, I see this very much convenient from my use last week. Else there have been days when I realised there is no cash in my wallet and had to run to the ATM only because I am passing back home via NICE.

So far so good - It is indeed a better option than paying cash at this time of the year when cash is limited.

Furthermore, on yesterday, 2 of my friends passed the NICE booth at 0500 in the morning and handed over 2000 INR currency and the booth attendant duly handed over remaining change in cash with lots of 100s and 50s .
Old 28th November 2016, 10:46   #934
BHPian

My first experience on the NICE road where i did happend to encounter not so nice drivers. My recent tip to Chennai during the diwali holidays, got on to the NICE ramp from Neelmangala toll exit on tumkur road.

The vast expanse of empty road, had my better half drooling and requested to TAKE OVER the driving duties. I'd moved to the shoulder and parked for the customary pics and change over and a bit of stretching, when i see a long procession of motorcade in the distacne behind me. The reason, two trucks moving parallely effectively blocking the road for the fast moving vehicles.

All of a sudden, a beeping taxi with a fuming driver at the wheels continue to honk away to glory right behind me at the same time gesticulating to get a move on. Soon followed a cultural exchange of epithets, with the cabbie having the last word ending with *%*( na maga, which i presume is something about his parentage.

Initially i thought that i had stopped in the wrong lane, but then as i drove along, shoulder driving seemed to be a norm rather than an exception. With speeds in excess of 120 Kph, its a sure fire way for disaster.

Another surprising thing is that there were some people parked on the shoulder right after a curve. Any maniac driving on the shoulder will be in for a surprise.

However, being Diwali day, and the absence of crowds on the road more than made up for the petty discomfort.
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 12:43   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Initially i thought that i had stopped in the wrong lane, but then as i drove along, shoulder driving seemed to be a norm rather than an exception. With speeds in excess of 120 Kph, its a sure fire way for disaster.
The shoulders end abruptly at culverts. I have seen some heart in the mouth moments wherein the shoulder drivers suddenly dart back into the road.

Another grouse I have is the exits are not marked clearly. I feel they must mark exits one each at 2KM, 1KM, 500m & 200m distances. In some case, exits are marked only at the exits.

PS: What is somebody misses an exit? I don't see any place to make a U-turn.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 13:42   #936
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes. Exit marking is poor. For relatives who are coming from KL, I have to guide them step by step due to this. For those who are traveling from Hosur road entry to Mysore road exit, I suggest them to keep on left lane once they hit the concrete road section.

For those who want to take the exit towards Silkboard after Hosur road, there is a good change that they miss the left ramp due to parked trucks and lack of signages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Have seen people driving in reverse due to this. So one problem solved
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 13:57   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Another grouse I have is the exits are not marked clearly. I feel they must mark exits one each at 2KM, 1KM, 500m & 200m distances. In some case, exits are marked only at the exits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Yes. Exit marking is poor.

Have seen people driving in reverse due to this. So one problem solved
Overall, if there was one tolled road that fares poorly when it comes to road engineering and signage, it has to be NICE Road.

It is only a fast option to traverse from one corner of the city to another.

I had once gone to help a couple who's car was rear ended by another one and requested the NICE folks to arrange for a Towing vehicle to at least take the car to the nearest booth from where we could arrange the latter part by ourselves and to our surprise he said there is only one Towing van functional now and rest are all under repairs!

When the cops present here spoke to the manager of NICE over phone, the conversation turned ugly with the other side threatening the cop too, all ths right in front of me.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2016, 16:43   #938
Senior - BHPian

Completely agreed that NICE will easily qualify among the worst Toll roads in our country. Exit markings are horrible and queues at entries are so crowded that you need to wait for more than 30 minutes for a 5 minute ride from ECity to Bannerghata. They could not get the entry and exit orientation right in Bannerghata road, this creates huge traffic jams on the Bannerghata road during the peek hours
gadadhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2016, 19:27   #939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Cashless Toll payment at NICE - A quick review of "Momoe".
Been 2 weeks since I have used this and passed the booth 6 times.

Must say so far, so good and I shall continue to use this now. Loaded my wallet for 500 twice till now and I feel I will stick to that.

Query: NICE Road - Bangalore-screenshot_20161130212540.png
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:34   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, but in such scenarios I expect cash fallback would be available.

A better solution would do the scanning to be the other way - the toll booth operator scans a code on the vehicle, and utilizes fixed-line internet at the booth to perform the authentication, authorization and accounting.

But that is FASTag. :-)
Old 7th December 2016, 13:22   #941

# The system does not have a Number Plate reader. I just checked today morning. It was at the entrance from the Tumkur road side and it took almost 2 minutes for the operator to enter my registration number correctly. Apparently he could not read from the camera at all and took multiple attempts to correct. Despite that there was some problem with Momoe today. He said that the "paid with momoe" option did not flash on his screen and I had to end up paying by cash. This despite me having successfully paid with Momoe a couple of days back, at the Hosur road entry. Balance too is not an issue, I have around 800 in my wallet.

# On the second one, I have been using Momoe since a couple of years. I have never seen by balance expire, this is just not acceptable in case of any wallet. Momoe will never survive if they have such a stupid rule. Sounds surprising. I have not read earlier messages in this thread through, started from the recent Momoe usage post by you - so do not know of others experiences.

Pawan

Quote:
Somehow I am not sure if the system has a Number Plate reader.

On your other question about unused balance money debited from Momoe due to non usage, I am not at all sure on now genuine is that information by just reading the ratings and comments there.
love_speed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 13:45   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_speed View Post
# The system does not have a Number Plate reader.
That I am sure now too. The operator reads from the number displayed on his screen captured from the camera.

Of almost 10 trips through Momoe, I haven't told my number more than once and that too only because they had opened gates leading out of NICE at EC Exit to enter NICE due to traffic and camera was not pointing to the number plates.

Quote:
Despite that there was some problem with Momoe today. He said that the "paid with momoe" option did not flash on his screen and I had to end up paying by cash.
And exactly what a colleague said today that Momoe didn't work today morning at Tumkur Road entry and he paid cash. Indeed there must be some glitch today and incidentally, I ended up working from home today else would have had to share the same story as yours then .

Quote:
This despite me having successfully paid with Momoe a couple of days back, at the Hosur road entry. Balance too is not an issue, I have around 800 in my wallet.
At least on this front, the app has been working flawlessly, whether its notification through the App itself or via Text message, each txn is clearly communicated (and instantly) and shows me the right balance too.

I have been topping up for 500 every week.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th December 2016 at 13:48.
Old 7th December 2016, 14:28   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

And exactly what a colleague said today that Momoe didn't work today morning at Tumkur Road entry and he paid cash. Indeed there must be some glitch today and incidentally, I ended up working from home today else would have had to share the same story as yours then .
Today morning, looks like it was not working specifically on the gate in which our vehicle entered. As soon as we announced Momoe payment, the operator got out of his seat, went to the neighboring gate after reading our number plate and issued the ticket from there.
This was at PES/Link road gate.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2016, 09:28   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by love_speed View Post
He said that the "paid with momoe" option did not flash on his screen and I had to end up paying by cash. This despite me having successfully paid with Momoe a couple of days back, at the Hosur road entry. Balance too is not an issue, I have around 800 in my wallet.
Quote:
Today morning, looks like it was not working specifically on the gate in which our vehicle entered. As soon as we announced Momoe payment, the operator got out of his seat, went to the neighboring gate after reading our number plate and issued the ticket from there.
This was at PES/Link road gate.
And it happened again - Momoe is not working at Bannerghatta Road entry. I just spoke to a colleague and was told that he had to pay cash.

Just alerting others who are banking solely upon Momoe that carry cash as back-up to pay for toll today.

Sandsun7 - Please confirm if it worked for you today.
Old 8th December 2016, 09:41   #945
BHPian

Quote:
And it happened again - Momoe is not working at Bannerghatta Road entry. I just spoke to a colleague and was told that he had to pay cash.

Just alerting others who are banking solely upon Momoe that carry cash as back-up to pay for toll today.

Sandsun7 - Please confirm if it worked for you today.
Time to time, Momoe gets cold feet. This is not new to to me. I am not sure about other gates, but at least in Bannerghatta entry (towards EC), you can simply state I will take ticket at exit and move on. They don't insist to pay in cash. It is rarely not working at exit. If it is not working at exit too, you will be asked to go without paying. I am doing this since last year, only twice I had to go without paying.

From last two days I am taking tickets at exit only.

This may in-convenience other user at exit. I usually take second exit from from left (where usually trucks lineup), because usually this line is already slow due to trucks!
RaguHolla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks