Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 15:34   #226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
Main requirement is a petrol automatic, good suspension for the city, good interior space and reliability (peace of mind) and of course a good mileage wouldn't hurt.

Budget is upto 18L

Mileage won't be something you can get a lot of from a petrol automatic, but of those three I'd say go for the Corolla as it suits your requirements to a tee. The City would also be a good bet, but if you can buy a car from a class above, why not?

Mileage wise the City and Corolla will be on par, but the Corolla is a little more upmarket if you ask me. Go for either one, you can't go wrong.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 15:39   #227
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Nope, only in diesel, though I am sure you can get atleast 1-1.25L as discounts. Maybe even more. Keep in mind that you are buying a car and not something that you can change very year or so. I would suggest you push your budget a bit rather than going for the corolla.
Just checked again with the SA at VW Whitefield. He is quoting 23.5L (after a 30K discount!!) for the Jetta Diesel Auto.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:42   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Just checked again with the SA at VW Whitefield. He is quoting 23.5L (after a 30K discount!!) for the Jetta Diesel Auto.
Try the mysore dealer of VW. You will be in for a surprise. Call Harsha there and talk.
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2014, 18:29   #229
Senior - BHPian

30k is hilariously little on the Jetta. The total quantum of discount/benefit should be more than double that.

Like some other Bangalore buyers, check out VW Mysore like Sanju pointed out. That's an option worth considering.
Old 1st September 2014, 21:26   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Try the mysore dealer of VW. You will be in for a surprise. Call Harsha there and talk.
Thanks Sanju. Spoke to Harsha (really nice guy to talk to). Discount is about 60-70K. 23.3L is a little too much of a stretch.

Another hope was if Skoda launches Octavia 1.4 TSI with DSG or Jetta 1.4 TSI with DSG. Don't think that is happening (as per my quick research on the net)

As of now, Corolla looks to be the better bet.

Btw, any Toyota guys like Harsha ?? Would really want to deal with folks like him while spending this kind of money.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:40   #231
BHPian

If you have an existing car, then they give you an exchange bonus too and you could transfer your NCB to the new car... I was quoted 22.5L w/o extended warranty (which can be taken later too)!

I wish they had a CL with DSG!

Quote:
Thanks Sanju. Spoke to Harsha (really nice guy to talk to). Discount is about 60-70K. 23.3L is a little too much of a stretch.

Another hope was if Skoda launches Octavia 1.4 TSI with DSG or Jetta 1.4 TSI with DSG. Don't think that is happening (as per my quick research on the net)

Btw, any Toyota guys like Harsha ?? Would really want to deal with folks like him while spending this kind of money.
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:55   #232
BHPian

Quote:

Abhilash, the price is on higher tick no doubt but then you will get a european sedan with DSG and a 2L engine, besides the handling and all other goodies. I would even say (with some salt) you are getting a A3 replica for 5L less
I went for the CL with BP philadelphia and it costed me 19 odd. If you haggle more and try out insurance from outside, I think you can make another 30-40K. That should be it.
Corolla is entirely different car. The revised version looks better than before and you have japanese reliability at your disposal. Choice is yours.
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 09:06   #233
BHPian

If I may add, a bigger A3 replica for 5L less and lower TCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Abhilash, the price is on higher tick no doubt but then you will get a european sedan with DSG and a 2L engine, besides the handling and all other goodies. I would even say (with some salt) you are getting a A3 replica for 5L less
I went for the CL with BP philadelphia and it costed me 19 odd. If you haggle more and try out insurance from outside, I think you can make another 30-40K. That should be it.
Corolla is entirely different car. The revised version looks better than before and you have japanese reliability at your disposal. Choice is yours.
Old 3rd September 2014, 01:04   #234
BHPian

Quote:
I work in Bangalore and drive about 25-30km per day. Currently I have a 2011 Honda City. Having a chronic back problem and with the traffic, it is getting worse. Wanted to move to an automatic. Main requirement is a petrol automatic, good suspension for the city, good interior space and reliability (peace of mind) and of course a good mileage wouldn't hurt.

Budget is upto 18L (at max).

After some research (on TBHP and outside), was able to only narrow down to the following.
1. Keep the Honda city and buy a Polo DSG
2. Exchange Honda city for a New 2014 Honda city
3. Exchange Honda city for a Corolla Altis G CVT

Right now, i'm more inclined to 3. Kindly advise if this is a good choice and if any alternatives I might be missing. (VW Jetta and Skoda Octavia are both costly for the automatic versions).

Kindly advise.
My 2 cents, "me too parrot 'iliketurtles'", I'd suggest the Corolla of the three, now I am basing this just on the ride quality of my friends Camry/Corolla (earlier gens) and it is exceptional, City is no where close and if you have a sensitive back then it more so sums up what your priority is.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 3rd September 2014 at 01:08.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:49   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
My 2 cents, "me too parrot 'iliketurtles'", I'd suggest the Corolla of the three, now I am basing this just on the ride quality of my friends Camry/Corolla (earlier gens) and it is exceptional, City is no where close and if you have a sensitive back then it more so sums up what your priority is.
Yup, looks like I'm leaning on Corolla. As I read more reviews and opinions, my only concern with Corolla is the lack of 6 air bags and ESP, considering that I drive to Kerala 2-3 times a year.

Also, test drove the Jetta from VW Whitefield, I actually didn't feel the Corolla like smoothness in city traffic (I'm not used to driving diesels) while on an open high way the acceleration was superb. Also the ride was firmer than the Corolla, few of the humps I could feel inside the cabin.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:25   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yup, looks like I'm leaning on Corolla. As I read more reviews and opinions, my only concern with Corolla is the lack of 6 air bags and ESP, considering that I drive to Kerala 2-3 times a year.
Thats indeed a big concern for a car in its class. Jetta (on a stretched budget) would be ideal for your requirement. If not, my suggestion would be option 1 from your initial list - keep the existing car, and get a Polo GT TSI
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:47   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is a concern, but it's a trade off, just as you'd have to make with every car from this segment. None of them are truly complete. Extra airbags and ESP are definitely great to have for long-distance driving, no questions there.

Quote:
YAlso, test drove the Jetta from VW Whitefield, I actually didn't feel the Corolla like smoothness in city traffic (I'm not used to driving diesels) while on an open high way the acceleration was superb. Also the ride was firmer than the Corolla, few of the humps I could feel inside the cabin.
For a turbo diesel, the Jetta is really nice in terms of driveability. I too feel it lacks a little (just a little, mind you) punch in stop-start traffic. I'll be getting a remap to fix that at some point.

The ride too is definitely firmer, and for someone with a back issue it might be tricky to live with. Then there's the fact it's out of your budget, sadly I think that rules out the Jetta, a car I absolutely love and can wax eloquent about.

Have you considered the Elantra? It might well be the car for you; spacious enough, reliable, has a petrol automatic, more airbags than the Corolla (I think) and ESP, from when I last remember. It's a looker and feature-packed too. Check it out unless you're averse to the idea of a Hyundai.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:15   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post

Have you considered the Elantra? It might well be the car for you; spacious enough, reliable, has a petrol automatic, more airbags than the Corolla (I think) and ESP, from when I last remember. It's a looker and feature-packed too. Check it out unless you're averse to the idea of a Hyundai.
Completely agree. Take a look at elantra petrol automatic. The ride and handling is much better than the verna (I owned a pre fluidic verna) and it has all the safety equipment. The rear seat is quite comfortable. Only problem is that the auto is a slushbox and you will be lucky to get 9-10 kmpl in city. I test drove the diesel manual and it did not feel underpowered.

It will also cost you less compared to the corolla petrol auto.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 16:14   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Completely agree. Take a look at elantra petrol automatic. The ride and handling is much better than the verna (I owned a pre fluidic verna) and it has all the safety equipment. The rear seat is quite comfortable. Only problem is that the auto is a slushbox and you will be lucky to get 9-10 kmpl in city. I test drove the diesel manual and it did not feel underpowered.
It will also cost you less compared to the corolla petrol auto.
Took an Elantra test drive. Very unimpressed. Didn't like the gearbox, it wasn't timing the upshifts correctly unlike Corolla which was silky smooth. Ride wasn't great as well, I would say at turning there was roll unlike either Corolla or Jetta both of which were firm. Steering was light and required too much inputs.

Guess I'm back to Corolla again!
Old 4th September 2014, 16:39   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took an Elantra test drive. Very unimpressed. Didn't like the gearbox, it wasn't timing the upshifts correctly unlike Corolla which was silky smooth. Ride wasn't great as well, I would say at turning there was roll unlike either Corolla or Jetta both of which were firm. Steering was light and required too much inputs.
You've got three things right there.

1) The Elantra's gearbox is uninspiring
2) Body roll is definitely more than the Jetta (haven't driven the latest Corolla), but then that's a Hyundai thing. The Elantra is actually pretty decent in this regard as Hyundai's go!
3) Again, light steering wheels are Hyundai's thing. People like them apparently. Yeah, I don't get the love for it either.

So that knocks almost everything in that category out, except for the Corolla and the Fluence. The Fluence has, I hear, the best ride quality in this segment, with controlled body roll like all Europeans and it's comfortable too. However, reliability and long-term ownership is a big question mark, and you can't bank on finding one available for a Test-Drive. Not sure you should consider one.

Guess it's the Corolla then, isn't it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks