Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2017, 19:16   #826
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

A quick check - are there more players who provide the 4G dongle than Airtel?? Any idea on the plans + cost?

Also, does any of these guys generate the bill as a broadband (for a dongle connection)? I prefer the dongle for the mobility but can't claim the bills other than for broadband connection aka without landline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
ACT, Chennai. have been with them for almost 4 years now. Good service and speed and proactive...
What's the cost of the plan??
Old 27th February 2017, 19:29   #827
Team-BHP Support

I have the Airtel 999 plan: 4 mbps until 40 gb and then 1 mbps. I, invariably, exhaust the 40gb usage within ten days of the cycle; and then get stuck with 1 mbps.

They recently called me saying they've put in fiber cables in my apartment and can offer 8 mbps until 50 gb for 1099/-. Only catch, after 50 gb, the speed drops to 512 kbps. Simply can't deal with that.

I don't trust the likes of You broadband because of their ability to handle down times.

4 mbps does the trick for me; I just need more data allowance!
Old 27th February 2017, 19:44   #828
BHPian

Rs. 1,699 + Taxes which amounts to Rs 1953.85. Plan includes unlimited Local & STD Calls (Landline & Mobile both) and 80GB of Data + 15GB (bundling DTH & Airtel Postpaid) with 16 MBPS speed, post the limit the download speed drops to 512 kbps. Recently, they have started Broadband Surprises which offer free data and free subscription to Airtel Movies Application.
Old 27th February 2017, 19:59   #829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
4 mbps does the trick for me; I just need more data allowance!
First, walk into an Airtel relationship centre; those guys will be able to look for a plan that works for you.

Second, airtel.in/smartbytes has some extra data options (I can see 40 GB @Rs. 300/60 GB @Rs. 400/80GB @Rs. 500 per month all available over my plan allocation, here in Bangalore). You could pick one that suits your need.

Third, they've been spamming me with this link: airtel.in/broadbandsurprises. I did a FB post and they've given me 20GB extra at no cost.
Old 28th February 2017, 10:53   #830
BHPian

Last week, got the Cherrinet Optic cable and was glad to see it gave speeds over 70Mbps and at times 103Mbps for a 100Mbps plan. If good, I am tempted to use it along with ACT, on my RT-AC87U which allows 2 WAN connections in fail-over mode or load sharing mode. Unlike ACT, Cherrinet locks the connection against a mac id, and switching devices are a pain if its not registered on a router!!
Old 28th February 2017, 11:24   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Unlike ACT, Cherrinet locks the connection against a mac id, and switching devices are a pain if its not registered on a router!!
I used Cherrinet for a few months and discontinued due to downtime of 2-3 days every month. They have an option to register two macs and this is on their portal and one can do it without calling support. They would also close complaints without any follow up.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:37   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I am paying 1441 for 10 Mbps/ 25 GB. It's becoming increasingly frustrating dealing with BSNL because:
  • It's obvious they don't have uniform plans across the country. Look at the difference in rates between Pune and Traivandrum!
  • Support is pathetic. I am asked to go to the Bavdhan exchange (working hours only 10:00 am - 5:00 pm, weekdays) with a written complaint for any issue. If you call 1500/21982198 to complain, infuriatingly they only call that landline for follow-ups DESPITE having my mobile contact. Do these4 guys seriously believe I will sit at home all day waiting for their follow-up call?
  • Routine service requests take weeks. I had to escalate to PGportal on one occasion to get something as silly as a loose wire fixed after they dealyed for 2 months
  • Service is very choppy, though measured speed on Ookla shows around 3-7 Mbps. For example I cannot play a single video without it buffering every few seconds. Technical explanation seems to be some kind of intermittent packet drops. I have zero problems while streaming with my 3G Idea connection which is rated about the same speed.
  • I highly suspect that I am being overbilled. Our usage is not that high but typically we run out of bandwidth before half the month is over and are then prompted to purchase booster packs. When I complained, their glib explanation was that maybe someone is mooching off my Wi-Fi (improbable since I hardly get signal throughout my own apartment, in any case I change password frequently).
I almost migrated to YOU broadband last month but decided to give these guys one more chance. But it's still not working out. Am exploring packages from YOU and Spectranet and will probably go with one of those shortly.
@Noopster,
I had the same issues with BSNL, absolute lack of customer support. Finally bit the bullet and disconnected broadband services from BSNL from Feb this year.

I've moved to You broadband. The initial days were a bit painful, but now they have launched a mobile app which allows you to get service attention promptly.

Speed wise I'm happy after coming from BSNL which never used to be more than 4 MBPS. You broadband offers me 15-18 MBPS for an annual payment of 10K approx.

Cheers
Old 28th February 2017, 11:54   #833
BHPian

Got ACT Fibernet 50MBPS plan for 12 months. The FUP is 75GB per month and i get an additional 25GB per month since i paid 12 month rental upfront. They also gave me free router and waived off the installation charges. Cost me about 15860.

I consistently get 50-51MBPS. Have consumed 95GB already this month.
Their mobile app is very good too for tracking usage.
Old 28th February 2017, 14:29   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
They recently called me saying they've put in fiber cables in my apartment and can offer 8 mbps until 50 gb for 1099/-. Only catch, after 50 gb, the speed drops to 512 kbps. Simply can't deal with that.
The plan you mentioned (8mbps upto 50gb) is an old plan. In fact I pay 999 for the said plan (8mbps upto 40GB, thereafter 1mbps)
They sure are upgrading to fiber. In my area, it will be up and running in a week and the advertising is on full swing. They call it Airtel V-Fiber.

For 1099, they will give 40mbps up to 75gb IIRC and 1mbps thereafter.

So what they are offering you is not Fiber connectivity. It is just plain old school broadband.
Old 28th February 2017, 16:11   #835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I used Cherrinet for a few months and discontinued due to downtime of 2-3 days every month. They have an option to register two macs and this is on their portal and one can do it without calling support. They would also close complaints without any follow up.
Thanks for the info on Mac id. I am right now checking who among the 2 is better. ACT has provided me with good performance and support. Of late I have noticed that the speed is not as consistent as it was earlier. Hence the need to look for alternatives. The Cherrinet is currently for 3 months, and based on how they perform I might switch or keep it as a backup option.
Old 28th February 2017, 18:58   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
The plan you mentioned (8mbps upto 50gb) is an old plan.
[...]
So what they are offering you is not Fiber connectivity. It is just plain old school broadband.
Didn't quite get what you mean here. I have almost the same plan:

"airtel-ul-special fibernet 1099 60gb (8mbps/512kbps) combo plan"

I have fibre cable all the way into my apartment; inside my apartment they have kept an Alcatel-Lucent router (whose only purpose is to patch the fibre with a regular cat6 cable for compatibility with my TP-Link home router).
Old 28th February 2017, 19:31   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Have no reason to complain except that you have to regularly check if a better plan is available. The upgrade doesn't happen automatically.
Exactly, i too have to check their website regularly and everytime i check i see my current plan has either been removed or it has been upgraded. But they never upgrade you automatically. You have to call every time.

Anyways there's a new player in delhi called Sitinetworks. I have started using their service as well along with Airtel as i always need a backup. I am currently paying rs1030(including taxes) for 50mbps 150GB.
Old 28th February 2017, 19:45   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

I have fibre cable all the way into my apartment; inside my apartment they have kept an Alcatel-Lucent router (whose only purpose is to patch the fibre with a regular cat6 cable for compatibility with my TP-Link home router).
Airtel is a pure looter company. They don't inform their own plans to existing customers and keep milking them. i was paying 1450 for a 4Mbps DSL link for over 2 years now. To my horror I found out they were providing FTTH in my apartment starting 750 pm. For 1450 I could have got 40Mbs, 100GB fiber line. The fiber guy was hesitant to provide me connection in my name saying that airtel will penalize him if he switch an existent customer. Finally took connection in my wife's name. So keep visiting Airtel website for latest plans. 1099 8mbps is quite old and you can get 999/40mbps/50Gb plan for lesser price since you already have FTTH link.
Old 28th February 2017, 20:13   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

What I meant was that their fiber network speed is upwards of 40 mbps.

My existing plan is 8 mbps (999 per month with 8mbps upto 40gb and beyond that 1mbps) and it is not fiber network. So you should be getting more than 8 mbps.

EDIT: Try out this link.
http://www.airtel.in/vfiber/form.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
The fiber guy was hesitant to provide me connection in my name saying that airtel will penalize him if he switch an existent customer. Finally took connection in my wife's name.
That is just pure BS that the Airtel guy told you.
These guys get money per new connection and that's why he asked you to take a new connection. The guy who out up a stall in my society also gave me the same BS, that I should take a new connection blah blah.
If you mail Airtel, they will always switch you to the plan you need, and their Customer Care is quite efficient that way.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 28th February 2017 at 20:23.
Old 28th February 2017, 20:16   #840
BHPian

I have a local guy providing broadband services.

Plan charges - Rs 800 per month
Plan details - 25MBPS for the first 100GB and after that 2MBPS unlimited

Cheers,
Amey

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks