Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:36   #916
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
... guess the millenials now take the internet as given, just like we used to take electricity as given
Ha Ha! I know I do, and could hardly be less millenial! My wife watches movies every day. I watch some other youtube stuff for a couple of hours a day too. I'm planning an Amazon Prime setup on my wife's laptop: I don't know how much that will impact the bandwidth. I don't watch movies. We don't have a TV: we rely on the net.

Buts kids-in-the-plural: I bet they can eat a whole lot of internet!

But my second (of the day) law of the internet would be that, whatever the bandwith, Youtube will sometimes stutter and buffer!
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:39   #917
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do wonder what people do with these speeds! Frankly, 8Mb/s was enough for me.
I have 5 Mbps. In Dec, I am planning to upgrade to 10 Mbps plan! Not because I need it but because my provider has reduced the price for it to almost match what I am paying for 5 Mbps now.
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:50   #918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I do wonder what people do with these speeds! Frankly, 8Mb/s was enough for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You’d watch a HD quality movie without lag or jitter. You would stream audio likewise
Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Both my kids have stopped watching cable TV, they prefer to watch their fav shows only on Youtube/amazon/netflix on a smartTV. Most of our audio players are hooked on to the internet. Not to mention my work which requires me to have home office setup.
+1 to both hserus, smekad.

Media consumption trends are drastically changing now. The cable might soon become extinct as we know it. People don't want to change their schedules just to catch a show or two. Rather they want to watch it at their convenience. Not to mention the movies. And this can be multiplied by the number of individuals in the household. So when you have 5 folks streaming shows simultaneously, 8mbps line may not suffice.
Old 5th September 2017, 11:28   #919
Team-BHP Support

Has anyone attempted using a second modem/router as a wifi extender?

Airtel recently offered an upgrade to 40 mbps from my current 4 mbps (same plan: 999/month) and in the process, changed my modem.

The Airtel person on the phone himself suggested that I can keep the old modem if I wish and use it as a wifi extender. The person who came to change the modem, however, did not know to do it and suggested I look it up online
Old 5th September 2017, 12:01   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I have done this and daisy chained three routers to the main router. However I found that the wireless connected routers would drop the connection and often need to be restarted. Since then I have wired the routers to my main router and all has been well since.
For the wireless connection I used DD-WRT firmware and you need to check for a suitable firmware for your hardware. I do not think wireless repeating works with stock firmware.
Old 5th September 2017, 15:54   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have done this and daisy chained three routers to the main router. However I found that the wireless connected routers would drop the connection and often need to be restarted. Since then I have wired the routers to my main router and all has been well since.
For the wireless connection I used DD-WRT firmware and you need to check for a suitable firmware for your hardware. I do not think wireless repeating works with stock firmware.
I believe some routers can be used as repeater or bridge with stock firmware. DD-WRT would be used on routers which would not offer the repeater function on stock FW.
Old 5th September 2017, 16:21   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Airtel recently offered an upgrade to 40 mbps from my current 4 mbps (same plan: 999/month) and in the process, changed my modem.

The Airtel person on the phone himself suggested that I can keep the old modem if I wish and use it as a wifi extender. The person who came to change the modem, however, did not know to do it and suggested I look it up online
This is maybe a better thread (On Wi-Fi & Routers) for such ins and outs. I haven't done it, but many have. I've only used one of those dedicated range extenders just to reach a "bird cam." (It didn't work out well, because I was too stingy to buy a good ip cam. Otherwise it was fine)

I also did the upgrade from 8 to 24, but use the Airtel thing only as a modem, not for range, but for features and configurations on my router. Modem -> router is wired.
Old 5th September 2017, 18:06   #923
Senior - BHPian

I recently upgraded to ACT fibernet from Airtel. I was fed up with Airtel giving me 2mbps speed and not upgrading their switches to support higher bandwidth. I had taken Act blaze which was 60mbps speed and 100 gb of data. But I think from sep 1 they have changed it to 75 mbps with 140 gb of data at the same cost. I am super happy with their speeds . There is no buffer even when streaming HD content from youtube. Will plan to set up VPN and share my friend's US netflix subscription.
Old 13th September 2017, 09:00   #924
BHPian

I'm on Excitel : 100 mbps - same speed on both upload and download
No data limit / No FUP
Rs. 1174.10 including all taxes per month (not 28 days).
Payments/complaints - all online.
Old 13th September 2017, 11:50   #925
Distinguished - BHPian

Moved to a new place which had Airtels Fiber network. 100mbps, 180GB @1499 +tax. Ironically in my old place I was paying 1899 for 8Mbps and 230GB.

As a bonus, they are giving 1000GB additional data free. Valid till March 2018. So my data balance shows 1.1TB now.

Happily streaming some Ultra HD content from Netflix now. Although that will eat up the GB's very quickly
Old 13th September 2017, 12:00   #926
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved to Singapore and got my broadband connection at home. One of the cheaper providers here is M1 broad band. And their most basic plan is for S$29 per month ( Thats ~ Rs1377 at prevailing exchange rate ). 1GBPS and no restriction on data. Along with this, they provide a 4G SIM card free with 1GB data quota per month ( which one can use in a dongle or in a phone ).

Hence it looks cheaper than India but there is a catch.

Installation fees are quite steep here. S$55 one time activation fee + S$50 installation fee if done on a weekday during office hours ( else it goes upto S$150 on weekends or even during evenings on a weekday ). I somehow got a offer for waiver of installation fee alone.

Also, all services are contract driven here. The above pricing is for a 2 year contract. If you don't want to sign a contract, the per month tariff will go upto S$39.
Old 24th September 2017, 18:50   #927
BHPian

I have ACT at home on the 100Mbps plan. I am getting the full promised speed. However Amazon prime video and Netflix both hang and buffer for me on my ps3. YouTube is never an issue though. I've noticed the quality of the video goes down after this buffer and hence believe it is not a device issue. I have a WD media player as well but it doesn't support Amazon prime video.

Here is the speedtest. I am running parental controls through netgear and hence openDNS.

What could be the issue? I wasn't watching Amazon video earlier when I was on the 150Mbps plan, but will try it again for a month to see if that helps.
Old 24th September 2017, 19:19   #928
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Here is the speedtest. I am running parental controls through netgear and hence openDNS.
I find speedtest to be useless. Most providers have a direct pipe to them. One day when my connection had a problem & I could barely load text page, speedtest still showed what speed the provider had promised me.

I find http://testmy.net/ & http://speedof.me/ to be more reliable.
Old 24th September 2017, 19:59   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I find http://testmy.net/ & http://speedof.me/ to be more reliable.
thanks tried both and similar results as speedtest.
Attached Thumbnails
How much do you pay for your broadband?-1506263342787.jpg  

How much do you pay for your broadband?-1506263355963.jpg  

Old 24th September 2017, 21:52   #930
Distinguished - BHPian

When speedtest starts, I think it looks for the most favourable server, using ping. First and foremost, it proves that our connection to our supplier is doing what it should.

But one can test download speed from the real world by selecting a different server. Choose one in USA so that the the supplier's international bandwidth gets tested.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks