Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How much do you pay for your broadband? - per month...
upto Rs.300 21 1.55%
Rs.301 - 500 65 4.80%
Rs.501-700 162 11.96%
Rs.701-1,000 410 30.26%
Rs.1,001 - 2000 569 41.99%
Rs.2001 - 5000 84 6.20%
Rs.5001 - 10000 11 0.81%
Don't have broadband!! 33 2.44%
Voters: 1355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2018, 14:01   #961
Senior - BHPian

Re: How much do you pay for your broadband?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
How is the service and support with Spectra? Are the speeds consistent?
I am happy with Spectra. Speed and service has been good. Downtime was just a few hours (combined) in last six months. Paid them again for 6 months recently.

But, things may be different in Bangalore. Please check with someone using it in Bangalore.
Old 6th July 2018, 14:40   #962
BHPian

In my Bangalore Home, I use ACT Fiber, 125Mbps with 500GB FUP for 1299 + tax.

In my Kolkata Home, I use Alliance Broadband, 120Mbps with no FUP for 1150 + tax.

I am very happy with both connections, very reliable, hardly any downtime and consistent speeds.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:37   #963
Senior - BHPian

https://www.airtel.in/broadband/hyderabad

Jio Effect: Airtel has tweaked their wired Broadband plans in Hyderabad to offer unlimited data. Plans start at Rs.350 for 8 mbps upto Rs.1300 for 100 mbps.
Hail competition. The existing providers have been fleecing us all along. Its only a matter of time before Airtel expands this across India.
Eagerly awaiting JIO's offers for home broadband. Indications are it wil be in the region of Rs.500 to Rs.1500 per month depending upon their ofering. It will integrate TV, broadband and home automation in the same connection.

Edit: Airtel's unlimited data fine print mentions its for non commercial use only. Commercial use is defined as usage above 3TB. I think even with this, 3TB is more than enough for most regular household's needs.

Last edited by hrman : 8th July 2018 at 11:42.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:53   #964
BHPian

God bless competition :-)

I can see that Airtel has already reduced the price for its broadband plans for Chennai city as well. The price reduction is about Rs 100 per plan. FUP does not work in modern world. In a connected world FUP does not make sense. India is quite behind Korea, Japan and UK when it comes to affordable broadband plans. I hope there is more competition in the market and that we don't have to depend on just some 4 to 5 big players in the market. In countries like UK the last mile is unbundled and you have more vigorous competition due to that.

Last edited by searacer932 : 8th July 2018 at 11:55.
Old 8th July 2018, 12:35   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
God bless competition :-)

Reliance is almost there with the launch of Jio fiber. They will look at taking over your internet and TV. This will mean a price war not only with likes of Airtel but also ISPs like ACT and other broadband services. It will also be game on for DTH services like Tatasky, Sun DTH etall. They are also targeting Amazon Prime/Music , Netflix, Gaana, Savan, Wynk etc in the content space.

Expect disruptive pricing and bundled packages, ie telephony, TV services, Music and internet services.

The customer will be a big winner as knowing Reliance most of it will come bundled at probably under 1-1.5k per month.
Old 31st July 2018, 18:02   #966
Team-BHP Support

Guys, what's the best way to increase the range of the wifi.

I have a Airtel 40mbps connection and use the Binatone DT910W modem+router that Airtel provided. This is kept in the living room and I want good coverage in my bedroom, which is about 40ft away. In between, there's a room (2 walls) and the open area is a 3ft wide passage.

I can't just move the modem to my room because I also need good coverage in the living room (for the tv).

So, do I need to get a more powerful router (if so, which one); or is there another option (wifi extender, I was once told by an Airtel guy, who was refuted by another Airtel guy).
Old 31st July 2018, 18:58   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Guys, what's the best way to increase the range of the wifi.

I have a Airtel 40mbps connection and use the Binatone DT910W modem+router that Airtel provided. This is kept in the living room and I want good coverage in my bedroom, which is about 40ft away. In between, there's a room (2 walls) and the open area is a 3ft wide passage.

I can't just move the modem to my room because I also need good coverage in the living room (for the tv).

So, do I need to get a more powerful router (if so, which one); or is there another option (wifi extender, I was once told by an Airtel guy, who was refuted by another Airtel guy).
You have three options:
1) retain the existing wifi router, take ethernet cable out from LAN port and insert it into a new access point (https://www.tp-link.com/ae/products/...L-WA801ND.html) near your desired location. This is technically the best solution.

2) retain the existing wifi router, buy a new "range extender" (like this https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/....html#overview) and place it in between the existing router and desired location. Keep in mind though that range extender halves your bandwidth - but I assume that wont be such a big concern today. Also the reviews on internet are not overtly positive for this technology

3) discard the old router and buy a high power router like https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/...L-WR941HP.html. I upgraded from https://www.tp-link.com/in/products/...TL-WR740N.html to the high power one and I saw increase in wifi signal from -85 dB (not usable) to -75 dB (very usable)
Old 31st July 2018, 20:01   #968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You have three options:
Thanks!

Looks like getting a good modem is the only option.

I use a small UPS for the modem to cover the few seconds gap between a power cut and the genset coming on. So, if I have the modem and router separate, I'd have to get two of those.

Any suggestions for a modem+router? I had a really powerful Netgear Dual-band N900 something in the US. Any of those reasonably priced in India?
Old 6th August 2018, 02:03   #969
BANNED

I am using Excitel Broadband for the past 1.5 years. The plan I chose was for ₹820 (including taxes) which offered unlimited 50MBPS Download and Upload speed. This time, I paid for 12 months in a single transaction and the price per month came down to ₹487. The speed I get ranges from 42-48MBPS. Overall, I am happy with the broadband.Name:  PicsArt_080601.58.25.png
Views: 1131
Size:  57.4 KB
The speed which I am getting right now.
Old 30th August 2018, 11:54   #970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Faced similar situation when I was looking to switch over from Airtel/BSNL broadband to ACT.

Sent 2 emails to the email addresses listed below once I felt that the coordination between departments was not ideal.

Issue was fixed within 20 hrs.

helpdesk.blr@actcorp.in
nodalofficer.blr@actcorp.in
Multiple calls to the call center, emails and even approaching the ACT stall at our tech park campus has got me no response.

Call center escalated my connection request to the sales team and they promised a revert in 4 hours but its been over a month or two now. ACT stall person said he has informed the sales team on the whatsapp group, but no miracle yet.

Last week, ACT (cold) called me and I gave them a piece of my mind. They wanted to check if I was interested and when I mentioned that I am following up as a customer and they don't care to respond, he meekly apologized and provided the same standard response - Someone will call back.

Will send an email to the ID's you have shared above and hope something turns up.

thanks.
Old 30th August 2018, 12:09   #971
Senior - BHPian

Anyone tried speaking to Airtel and asking to disconnect their broadband? Have they reduced the current plan charges?
Someone I know in Bangalore did this and Airtel reduced their monthly plan charges from 999 to 599 and then further to 350 per month. All within a space of two months.
Apparently the call center has some plans which are not widely publicised and these are used as a means of retention.
Old 30th August 2018, 13:10   #972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Anyone tried speaking to Airtel and asking to disconnect their broadband? Have they reduced the current plan charges?
Yes, and with an option to carry over your unused data balance to the next month.

Post # 960 on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4425016

This month I exhausted ACT's FUP (280 GB), and an additional 30 GB from Airtel's FUP as of yesterday.

Saturday evening is when I realized I needed to latch on to Airtel. Connected the modem (Binatone), only to realize that the modem as well as adapter were dead.

Logged a call using My Airtel app, and in the next 90 mins. I was live on Airtel with a brand new Huawei modem. Some customer service, I say!

With ACT, YOU Broadband and Excitel already offering competitive plans, it is not going to be as easy for Jio GigaFiber to make inroads like they did with 4G.

The operator maintaining highest levels of Customer service & satisfaction is going to rule the market.

Of course, this applies only for areas/markets that have all the players competing.

Airtel, on the other hand, is set to lose out if the max. bandwidth is not improved.

Personally, my interest in Jio GigaFiber is limited only to the plans that bundle TV content, and that too if getting a connection is not a nightmarish experience like the Jio 4G sim (my Aadhar card was of outstation).

Not to forget, the INR 4500/- refundable security deposit being charged by Jio GigaFiber. The proposition needs to be lucrative enough to park this amount.

Otherwise, I have absolutely to qualms with ACT.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 30th August 2018 at 13:11.
Old 30th August 2018, 16:41   #973
BHPian

The one thing that Airtel has over all the other competitors is their customer service. They are quite fast in sorting out any issues. On the other hand ACT takes a lot of time to sort out any issues.

The biggest issue with Airtel is that they cannot provide more than an 8 mbps line in my area. And I won't move back to them till they can sort this issue out.
Old 2nd September 2018, 19:06   #974
Senior - BHPian

Recently, Airtel has laid broadband lines (fiber optic) in our colony.

Anyone using Airtel broadband V-fibre in Delhi/NCR? How is the experience?

I am thinking of upgrading my 13 years old MTNL broadband.

PS - I did not have good experience of Airtel mobile connection, recently ported out of Airtel to Vodafone because of no airtel network coverage inside the home. I hope they offer good home broadband experience at least?
Old 3rd September 2018, 16:24   #975
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
By the way, this information is now in public domain -

https://www.livemint.com/Companies/6...free-data.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks