Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2020, 15:03   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pannags View Post
If you can stretch your budget a bit, the Helix chair from Featherlite is actually superb value for money for what it offers. It has good lower back support with an adjustable lumbar.
So I managed to pay a visit to featherlite showroom today. Helix HB indeed is great all rounder. And my company has a tie-up with featherlite for employees which makes us eligible for a 14% discount on online purchase. Would cost me 20.2k post discount. Is it a decent price?

Liked the liberate hb as well & that would cost me 12.4k post discount. But compared to Helix it lacks adjustable seat base,4D armrest, adjustable lumbar support. Even the seat back mesh quality looks better in Helix. I will mostly bite the bullet & stretch to the Helix HB.

However there’s one final issue/doubt I have. Website says we have to assemble it ourselves at home as they deliver knocked down unit in a box. Has anyone got this chair online? How easy or tough is it to assemble? Am not a DIY kinda person, so a bit sceptical. Can someone throw some light around the assembly part?

Saw this video on YouTube. Does the package come with the allen-key? Looks like a lot of screws.

Showroom folks said they can assemble but for that I have to buy it from them and there I can’t avail office discount. They can max provide me 10%ish discount and assemble it for me in the showroom which I have to carry home in my car.

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st November 2020 at 15:29.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2020, 17:37   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

However there’s one final issue/doubt I have. Website says we have to assemble it ourselves at home as they deliver knocked down unit in a box. Has anyone got this chair online? How easy or tough is it to assemble? Am not a DIY kinda person, so a bit sceptical. Can someone throw some light around the assembly part?
Its not really that difficult to assemble. Almost intuitive.
My chair also came in similar condition and it took me about 30-40 mins to assemble it. You can easily do it. I didnt even have to watch any video or anything for it!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 17:12   #183
Senior - BHPian

Update: Finally bit the bullet and booked Featherlite Helix HB online. Got delivered within 4 days. Delivery guy himself assembled it for me. So didn’t have to bother about that anymore.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-7eb6a184b4dd420d92ba785d26f6bee6.jpeg

Company discount of 14% turned out to be better than showroom discounts(5-10%) & home delivery plus assembly as well was hassle free. With the plethora of adjustment options feels pretty comfortable.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 20:38   #184
BHPian

Finally decided to get the "green soul" as the wfh looks to be extending for a long time now. Most comfortable chair I have sat in till date. Yes compared to the 60 to 70k range chairs in the office this 13.5k chair is absolutely brilliant and is just like sitting in a car
Attached Thumbnails
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-chair.jpg  

sumathindra is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 21:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Update: Finally bit the bullet and booked Featherlite Helix HB online. Got delivered within 4 days. Delivery guy himself assembled it for me. So didn’t have to bother about that anymore.

Attachment 2086286

Company discount of 14% turned out to be better than showroom discounts(5-10%) & home delivery plus assembly as well was hassle free. With the plethora of adjustment options feels pretty comfortable.
Awesome!! Thanks for the update. I am really happy with my featherlite Optima. Wish you many happy working hours with it. In my case as well, the people came to deliver, assembled it.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 01:15   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Would cost me 20.2k post discount. Is it a decent price?
I know you already got this home. It definitely is a very good price for the Helix HB.

Quote:
Congratulations! I think you made a good decision to go with the Helix. Like they say, if you sit for a living, you better sit right
pannags is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 21:01   #187
BHPian

I've used Herman Miller's Mirra at office and find it to be excellent. I'm looking at getting a more comfortable chair for home use, and was looking for something similar with "mesh-based" seatingl. Unfortunately, the only things that I found are:
- Herman Miller's Aeron and Mirra - both close to 1L
- Humanscale (thanks to pannags' link below) - This one also is close to 1L, but has discounts on home office packages. The problem is, I don't need anything else and need to buy only the chair.
- Featherlite optima mesh - not available for online purchase. Also, don't have much of reviews available. Any user feedback on this?

So, question for people on the thread - can anyone recommend a chair with good mesh-based seating this side of 50k? And, I would like to stay clear of no-name Chinese stuff.
Quote:
Humanscale - Diffrient - Has a peculiar design that dissuades the use of armrests while working. .... The retail price of this chair is over a lakh, but they are running a 62% discount under their home office offer.
Presume this is for the home office package and not available for chair alone. If I'm missing something, please do correct me. Thanks!
Su-47 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:18   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Presume this is for the home office package and not available for chair alone. If I'm missing something, please do correct me. Thanks!
The discount was offered for the chair in particular. In fact, I'm not sure if the desk that compliments these chairs has as good a discount.

BTW, while I found the chair to be greatly supportive, I do recommend that you try them out for a reasonable amount of time because the armrests are not meant to be used like in most other ergonomic chairs.
pannags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 22:52   #189
BHPian

Quote:
The discount was offered for the chair in particular. In fact, I'm not sure if the desk that compliments these chairs has as good a discount.

BTW, while I found the chair to be greatly supportive, I do recommend that you try them out for a reasonable amount of time because the armrests are not meant to be used like in most other ergonomic chairs.
Aah, you say "was", so looks like I missed the bus. The only discount I see on the site now for the chair is 20%..
I don't use armrests at all. In fact I have removed it from my current chair as well, so wouldn't have been issue.
If there is a coupon code or something that I'm missing to bring down the price of the chair, do let me know.
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:30   #190
BHPian

Quote:
The discount was offered for the chair in particular.
Let me begin with a "Thank You" to pannags and others on this thread for super informative posts.

Since I was inclined towards mesh-seating, had a rather small shortlist to try. After speaking to the human-scale salesperson, and reading the reviews I concluded that the Diffrient Chair is a polarizing product that either works of you or it absolutely doesn't. So, I talked to the family about it and told them that I'm going to the showroom to try it out.

That's when the conversion veered to "what do you have at office?". Told them about Herman Miller Mirra and how good (and expensive) it is. So, mom and wife made a few points:
- You will not be able to figure out "long term usage" in a few minutes.
- If you use something for 10 hrs everyday, it better be something you like, or you may repent every single day.
- If it is going to last 10 years, spending more is justifiable.

So, the plan of buying something more affordable went out of the window and I'm typing this seated on a brand new Herman Miller Mirra2 . Never thought that I'm one of those people who would splurge on a WFH chair, but here we are.

In a way, this discussion has come a full circle, and I ended up following my own recommendation to the OP's question.
Quote:
I've tried several office chairs, but nothing came close to the one I use now (Herman Miller Mirra, I think).
Not much has changed from Mirra1 (which is good, because I like it a lot), and I was able to get a good seating position quickly. Mirra has a lot of knobs and controls:
1. Tilt lock - I mostly use it on tilt lock position 1 while typing, 2 for reading. Position 3 is too reclined for "tasking".
2. Front tilt - Haven't used it on this either at home or at office. Interesting feature, but I wouldn't miss it if it were absent.
3. Tilt resistance control - I like it a bit "tighter" than default position. Very useful and absolutely smooth and silent tilt function.
4. Under thigh support - The recommended gap between calf and the seat support is about 2-inches, but I keep it at around 3 inches.
5. Armrests - They are adjustable in every way imaginable, but I just get them out of the way.
6. Lumbar support - I keep at around L1-L2 height and find it pretty useful.
7. Height adjustment - Of course, this is needed!

So, except (2) I ended up adjusting everything else to suit my requirements. Hope it provides some perspective about how many of those knobs, adjustment and gimmicks find use in real world.

Cheers,
Su-47
Su-47 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 21:37   #191
Team-BHP Support

Nothing beats Herman chairs. Similar thing happened with my Son who wanted something comfortable but didn’t not wanted to splurge on Herman chair.

I still asked him to order one and try for few days, Thanks to the return policies in Canada, he tried 3 different from Mira-3 to Aeron before finally settling to Embody- Logitech.

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gamin...tml?lang=en_US
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 22:09   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
he tried 3 different from Mira-3 to Aeron before finally settling to Embody- Logitech.
I read Mirra 3 and gasped. I like my Mirra-2 dearly, but I guess it's hard to shake up that "feeling of missing out on new and improved stuff" when it comes to an update to some expensive toy we recently bought. Hope it was a typo.

Last edited by Su-47 : 3rd January 2021 at 22:15.
Old 4th January 2021, 03:14   #193
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hope it was a typo.
Yeah, please read as Mira 2, you have got yourself the latest one

Last edited by Turbanator : 4th January 2021 at 03:18.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 03:25   #194
Senior - BHPian

I have a old Herman Miller Aeron.

The mesh on both the back and bottom have degraded and torn. Can anyone guide me on where I can get replacement parts?
Old 5th January 2021, 03:36   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
The mesh on both the back and bottom have degraded and torn. Can anyone guide me on where I can get replacement parts?
Try Herman Dealers. If they don't answer, drop a mail to Herman. We have got a pad changed for some of our office chairs under warranty. If nothing works, do let me know. I will try via a known dealership.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks