Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 09:49   #5986
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
If you see the Outer ring road especially near Hoody, in addition to the existing bad stretches, we have new ones coming up. I don't think bangalore roads are going to see light at the end of the tunnel.
Outer Ring Road at Hoodi junction ? I guess you mean the Mahadevapura road leading to ITPL where you have the Hoodi junction before reaching ITPL. If that's the one, it's the best one to showcase the plight of Bangalore's roads- anyone who sees it will simply agree it's pathetic
The stretch from Bhoruka signal to almost near the K R Puram Railway station junction barely has 1 to 1.5 lanes usable (almost), the rest was dug up for some pipe laying several months ago and has simply been filled up with mud so most vehicles don't even dare to use that for fear of a roller-coaster ride and destruction of their vehicles and it's tyres!
All hell turns loose at the Hoodi junction and traffic moves in all directions regardless of the traffic signal status.

Hope something is done to address this entire stretch soon.
Maybe an elevated road for whitefield ? I know this may not be possible at all since there is/was a plan to extend the metro from Byappanahalli to Whitefield via Mahadevapaura - now imagine what would happen to that stretch if this work were to start

Last edited by NPV : 22nd May 2014 at 09:50.
Old 22nd May 2014, 10:00   #5987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Outer Ring Road at Hoodi junction ? I guess you mean the Mahadevapura road leading to ITPL where you have the Hoodi junction before reaching ITPL. If that's the one, it's the best one to showcase the plight of Bangalore's roads- anyone who sees it will simply agree it's pathetic
The stretch from Bhoruka signal to almost near the K R Puram Railway station junction barely has 1 to 1.5 lanes usable (almost), the rest was dug up for some pipe laying several months ago and has simply been filled up with mud so most vehicles don't even dare to use that for fear of a roller-coaster ride and destruction of their vehicles and it's tyres!
All hell turns loose at the Hoodi junction and traffic moves in all directions regardless of the traffic signal status.

Hope something is done to address this entire stretch soon.
Maybe an elevated road for whitefield ? I know this may not be possible at all since there is/was a plan to extend the metro from Byappanahalli to Whitefield via Mahadevapaura - now imagine what would happen to that stretch if this work were to start
Elevated road to whitefield!!!. I suppose all employees should start working from home. I meant the Mahadevapura road leading to ITPL. Everyday I commute by BMTC chartered ITPL bus. The driver cares a damn about the road. It is a bone jarring ride in the bus. This stretch, to the best of my knowledge, has never been patched up, leave alone being relaid.
This is the road that leads to an international tech park and look at the condition. I wonder how foreign investors still prefer coming to Bangalore seeing the pathetic condition of roads.

Now that Chandrababu Naidu is going to be back in power in Seemandhra, he will leave no stone unturned to develop an alternative to Hyderabad and win the confidence of foreign investors.

BANGALORE, BETTER WAKE UP NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

Last edited by Aditya : 23rd May 2014 at 12:09. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:15   #5988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If that's the one, it's the best one to showcase the plight of Bangalore's roads- anyone who sees it will simply agree it's pathetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
This is the road that leads to an international tech park and look at the condition. I wonder how foreign investors still prefer coming to Bangalore seeing the pathetic condition of roads.

BANGALORE, BETTER WAKE UP NOW BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.
Completely agree. In fact all roads leading to ITPL and EPIP area are in pathetic condition - Kundalahalli gate, Graphite India, Hopefarm to ITPL. All are characterised by bad roads, dug up footpaths/no footpaths and pathetic traffic management.
Old 22nd May 2014, 11:48   #5989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Completely agree. In fact all roads leading to ITPL and EPIP area are in pathetic condition - Kundalahalli gate, Graphite India, Hopefarm to ITPL. All are characterised by bad roads, dug up footpaths/no footpaths and pathetic traffic management.
Beg to disagree. There is one millimeter of road opposite Brookefields which is in perfect condition. Can you imagine - one full millimeter

By the way, what is a footpath ?
Secretariat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:09   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
A footpath is a supposedly raised section of the road that is meant only for bikes going in either direction, parking of vehicles (includes bikes, cars, autos, trucks) and a storage area for construction material.
Some of them can also be used as a hiking/trekking trail if you are too lazy to drive to one of the trekking places nearby!
Pedestrians are not meant to use them and they would be honked at or run over if they meander anywhere near a footpath!

Wikipedia apparently has the wrong definition of a footpath and we people from Bangalore should request for a change in their page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footpath
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 12:29   #5991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The Whitefield road from KR puram to ITPL is characterized by potholes speedbreakers and numerous median breaks. In fact the entry and exit to this road is a around hanging bridge, a design nightmare. With 24 x 7 traffic jams on both sides. The Lowry college on one side and the railway structures on the other make a lovely bottleneck where we learn what B to B really means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Beg to disagree. There is one millimeter of road opposite Brookefields which is in perfect condition. Can you imagine - one full millimeter

A footpath is a place to park 2 wheelers or even cars. Otherwise the main purpose is for 2 wheelers to ride on when there is a jam.

Is there a way for our elected representatives to turn their attention to the pathetic state of our roads and traffic discipline? I tried www.ichangemycity.com with a complaint but it seems useless.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:45   #5992
Senior - BHPian

Talking about footpaths, the one thing I have noticed over years is that 90% of the pedestrians use the road right next to the footpath instead of the footpath.
I would understand this if the footpath is in bad condition or incomplete. But I have noticed from youngsters to senior citizens walking on the road on my street when there is a well made footpath right next to them.

Pedestrians need to be blamed equally here.

One major point you guys missed. Foothpaths are emergency toilets for humans and the usual dump spot for animals.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:04   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Pedestrians need to be blamed equally here.

One major point you guys missed. Foothpaths are emergency toilets for humans and the usual dump spot for animals.
There are few reasons why they don't use them:
1.) Most of the footpaths not comfortable (on the leg and foot) to walk for citizens, few of the slabs wobble when one step on it, it clearly does not inspire confidence to walk.
2.) The footpath is not clearly lit due to lack of street lights
3.) Fear of stepping over dog, cow or human faeces
4.) Fear of getting electrocuted by loose cables. Will the government pay the family for the losses, they won't even care

Indian version of footpath:
Source - http://mygrapa.blogspot.in/2011_06_01_archive.html
(vs) example of Canadian footpath at an intersection:
Source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segrega...cle_facilities
http://www.usi-eng.com/dn/Services/T...k-Project.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bicycle_lanes_in_intersection_ottawa_2011.jpeg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo2.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-pence-after1.jpg  

Old 22nd May 2014, 14:43   #5994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
There are few reasons why they don't use them:
1.) Most of the footpaths not comfortable (on the leg and foot) to walk for citizens, few of the slabs wobble when one step on it, it clearly does not inspire confidence to walk.
2.) The footpath is not clearly lit due to lack of street lights
3.) Fear of stepping over dog, cow or human faeces
4.) Fear of getting electrocuted by loose cables. Will the government pay the family for the losses, they won't even care
I agree to all of the above and I do walk on the road at times for the above reasons.

But, the streets that I was referring to, did not have any of the features you quoted and still I see pedestrians on the road.
There were times when I have requested them to walk on the footpath and they look at me as if I asked them to dance on the road. And this when there are vehicles honking away behind them and they walk 2-3 abreast.
Old 26th May 2014, 18:47   #5995
BHPian

There is some kind of accident in ORR next to Doddenakundy signal... Towards Marathahalli...expect huge traffic pile up. Thanks to curious onlookers and a fire truck parked in road on the opposite lane.
Old 26th May 2014, 23:00   #5996
BHPian

Quote:
But, the streets that I was referring to, did not have any of the features you quoted and still I see pedestrians on the road.
There were times when I have requested them to walk on the footpath and they look at me as if I asked them to dance on the road. And this when there are vehicles honking away behind them and they walk 2-3 abreast.
IMO it becomes a habit and a routine. When people are used to unfavorable footpaths, even if you provide them good walking conditions they will continue with their routine habit i.e walking on the road!
Old 27th May 2014, 10:45   #5997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree to all of the above and I do walk on the road at times for the above reasons.

Walking on Indian footpaths is like solving a jig saw puzzle. We do have slabs meant for walking but somewhere in between we do have missing slabs. While walking in the dark we should not assume anything for granted but be vigilant. Then we have to cope up with vendors, 2 wheelers riding on the footpaths etc...
Old 27th May 2014, 11:21   #5998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbalagru6 View Post
There is some kind of accident in ORR next to Doddenakundy signal... Towards Marathahalli...expect huge traffic pile up. Thanks to curious onlookers and a fire truck parked in road on the opposite lane.
Guess this was cleared by 8pm, I passed through the same road and traffic was normal (heavy)
Old 27th May 2014, 11:55   #5999
BHPian

Quote:
There was a pile-up for a little while, but it got cleared soon afterwards. Traffic police were there to regulate, and I saw a fire-truck parked on the opposite side as well. This was around 7PM.
Anyone know the cause?
Old 27th May 2014, 12:05   #6000
BHPian

Yeah, the cause for the jam was a tractor, which had turned turtle, don't know how though. Maybe he tried to go over the divider

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks