Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2012, 19:09   #3706
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
In some countries, they drive on right side of the road, in others, the left.
We indians usually drive on what is left of the road.
In India, the side we drive on is the "right" side!
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 19:15   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
In some countries, they drive on right side of the road, in others, the left.
We indians usually drive on what is left of the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
In India, the side we drive on is the "right" side!
Dude, that's a joke. Take it as such.
Old 26th September 2012, 19:20   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Dude, that's a joke. Take it as such.
Sorry, was just extending the joke. The quoted "right" was to indicate the Indian school of thought that "I am always right" or "I always have the right of the way".

Back in my college days, a PJ-maker had to raise his hand to indicate one as such. Doing so now.
Old 26th September 2012, 19:24   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Sorry, was just extending the joke. The quoted "right" was to indicate the Indian school of thought that "I am always right" or "I always have the right of the way".

Back in my college days, a PJ-maker had to raise his hand to indicate one as such. Doing so now.
Oops. Sorry. My bad. That one flew over my head even though I am 6 feet tall or maybe I am just too tired today.
Old 26th September 2012, 22:03   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick
A really good initiative by BTP is the launch of Mobile Traffic update app called Magic Genie. Its a free app for Android & Iphone and I just checked, it was pretty accurate for the Sony World signal in Koramangala.
Are you sure it's Magic Genie and not Traffic Genie, by ODO?
Old 26th September 2012, 22:52   #3711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In Indira Nagar on the road which turns off next to East Cultural Association and on which National Public School is located, it is absolute chaos.

The NPS buses park along this street on the side of the road, exactly as they like and if one drives past in the morning,one will see no less than a dozen or more buses parked like this on this narrow street.

Is this legal? I think this great school must have paid the cops some nice fat sums of money to allow this. No way it is permissible on the erstwhile leafy lane, which has now become such a busy connecting road.
Dont bother reporting, nothing is going to change. During my school days, the 13th main (the road your mentioning about) used to be a two way road. Then it became a one way all thanks to the high handedness of the school authorities. Residents have taken this up with the respective authorites and have seen no change.
The situation is worse in the morning when parents make it a point to drop their kids by car right at the school gate.
Old 27th September 2012, 08:59   #3712
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Dont bother reporting, nothing is going to change. During my school days, the 13th main (the road your mentioning about) used to be a two way road. Then it became a one way all thanks to the high handedness of the school authorities. Residents have taken this up with the respective authorites and have seen no change.
The situation is worse in the morning when parents make it a point to drop their kids by car right at the school gate.
Yup, I guess you are right. It used to be leafy shady lane with some occasional put putting traffic buzzing along it, right up to the early 2000's.
Now look at it! It is absolutely frightening!
Old 27th September 2012, 09:50   #3713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Are you sure it's Magic Genie and not Traffic Genie, by ODO?
Oh yea its Traffic Genie, my bad i dont know from where I caught it as Magic genie, must be the website url which if you look quickly seems as Magic Genie.

I used it quite a bit yesterday and it was accurate for the most part. I even reported a jam on KH Road, for which there was a auto e-mail acknowledgement.

I have been noticing an interesting thing on the Ejipura Signal going towards Indiranagar. There is usually a large pool of water on the left side just before the bus stop. The funny part is seeing cars and SUVs cutting across from the left to the right side to avoid the puddle. These vehicles actually make this interaction almost 1 lane instead of the 3 lanes and create long jams. I can understand bikers doing that but cars & SUVs doing the same is really funny. I am also sure most of the folks driving in this sector in the morning would be more or less regular to know that there aren't any potholes on the left.

Last edited by motomaverick : 27th September 2012 at 09:55.
Old 27th September 2012, 16:11   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Just received a challan through post for a traffic violation (not wearing seat belt) . I must have been caught by one of those snap-happy cops. I am happy about the initiative and hope that they catch the offenders (all kind) on regular basis through this initiative.
Old 27th September 2012, 16:55   #3715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
The funny part is seeing cars and SUVs cutting across from the left to the right side to avoid the puddle. These vehicles actually make this interaction almost 1 lane instead of the 3 lanes and create long jams. I can understand bikers doing that but cars & SUVs doing the same is really funny. I am also sure most of the folks driving in this sector in the morning would be more or less regular to know that there aren't any potholes on the left.
And I have cursed these cars - as a biker riding in rain and otherwise. I mean, its a car, it cannot get wet in the inside.

But seriously, wonder why water keeps logging in this section. I believe it logs in the other lane too - going towards Sony World signal.
Old 27th September 2012, 17:36   #3716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
But seriously, wonder why water keeps logging in this section. I believe it logs in the other lane too - going towards Sony World signal.
Yes it does! Right next to the divider, a few feet before the signal, a massive pool of water collects in the side going towards Sony World. I used to ride my scooter through the puddle and make it a point to smirk and laugh at cars trying to avoid it.
Old 27th September 2012, 18:45   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Just received a challan through post for a traffic violation (not wearing seat belt) . I must have been caught by one of those snap-happy cops. I am happy about the initiative and hope that they catch the offenders (all kind) on regular basis through this initiative.
And i hope that you will start wearing seat belt now *you knew it was coming, didnt you?*
There is no point in catching offenders if all that they will do is pay fine and not stop offending!
Old 27th September 2012, 19:10   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And i hope that you will start wearing seat belt now *you knew it was coming, didnt you?*
There is no point in catching offenders if all that they will do is pay fine and not stop offending!
Normally I wear the seat belt 90% of the time within city and 100% of the time on highways but from now I will wear it all the time within the city also. Primarily because now I know that this is a law which is active/enforced and not something which just exits in the rule book.

Last edited by Guna : 27th September 2012 at 19:21.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2012, 21:22   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know that this is a law which is active/enforced and not something which just exits in the rule book.
Considering the number of vehicles on road and the number of cops actively issuing challans, the probability of getting caught for breaking a rule is very less. So one cannot wait to get caught before following a rule.
Old 27th September 2012, 21:27   #3720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
It is not a new problem. I lived in Ejipura for more than 5 years, till January 2008. Even back then, the problem existed. It was just that EGL was not fully functional yet and so the traffic was less.

There is no drainage under the footpaths. It is that simple!

Even now, I drive right through the puddle (or any puddle, for that matter), if at all I go through that way. My Palio has never complained.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks