Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 19:12   #6856
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Brought crackers for 630/- INR, fuel expenses - 4 litres of petrol for up & down distance of 50 kms + BETL toll (45/-) + Attibele toll (40/-).

But do we have crackers shops inside the city?, the nearest shop I spotted on my way to Attibelle was before the chandapura flyover, I stay in HSR layout.

Last year there was one on HSR 27th main. Should be there this year too. There is one between marathahalli and hal signal( closer to the hal signal side). I just visited today. Marked prices seemed insanely high. They were selling at 70% discount. Seemed quite high even after that. Did not bother me much as I just wanted a couple of packets of sparklers and it was almost on the way back from office. A box of 35cm sparklers were rs 80 after the discount ( 5 pieces)
Old 20th October 2014, 19:44   #6857
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is also a cracker store on the Outer Ring Road opposite to MORE hypermarket and a little further from the new Ecospace mall (shoppers stop), Doddenakundi.
Old 20th October 2014, 19:56   #6858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
There is also a cracker store on the Outer Ring Road opposite to MORE hypermarket and a little further from the new Ecospace mall (shoppers stop), Doddenakundi.
Thank you, I was looking for one in this area and this came at the right time. Where exactly is this form the Arena Mall?
Old 20th October 2014, 22:48   #6859
BHPian

Sorry - stupid question. Apart from the active festival day, is there a cut off in time for lighting crackers? It's 50 minutes past 10 in the night and I hear some moron lighting them.
Old 20th October 2014, 23:04   #6860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
Apart from the active festival day, is there a cut off in time for lighting crackers?
Anyday, according to Supreme Court order of July 2005,
  • Crackers can be burst only between 6 am and 10 pm
  • No firecrackers of more than 125 decibels should be manufactured or sold
Old 21st October 2014, 00:37   #6861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
MORE hypermarket .
I wonder why it is called as "Hypermarket"
Old 21st October 2014, 00:50   #6862
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, and I thought we were here to discuss Bangalore's traffic problems and ways to help each other to suffer less.

Things like how shop owners on the D-day will light up crackers and bring traffic to halt for good 10-15 minutes makes more sense here in this thread!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 07:57   #6863
BHPian

There was a Container Truck which was stationery in front of the Fern View apartment just after silkboard. Sure to cause some traffic jam

Also the entry to railway crossing after the ISRO U turn is completely blocked. If you want to reach Whitefield, then better take Kundanahalli Gate
Old 21st October 2014, 09:38   #6864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Guys, and I thought we were here to discuss Bangalore's traffic problems and ways to help each other to suffer less.

Things like how shop owners on the D-day will light up crackers and bring traffic to halt for good 10-15 minutes makes more sense here in this thread!

Note from Mod - lets stick to traffic issues and not crackers
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2014, 10:10   #6865
BHPian

In Bangalore, at about 1740hrs during weekdays, I pass through Kasturba Road and connect towards Hudson Circle and then over the Mysore Road Flyover to reach Vijayanagar.
Footpaths are being laid near the Coffee Day Square and St. Joseph's School which brings the entire Kasturba Road to a halt. This work has been going on like for months.
For the last few days, I've been trying to measure the traffic using Google Navigation and then enter into this road, else deviate and take the Rajbhavan Road.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:36   #6866
BHPian

Another BMTC bus break down. This time at KR puram. Thats the third I've seen in the past week..
Old 21st October 2014, 10:36   #6867
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu-man View Post
In Bangalore, at about 1740hrs during weekdays, I pass through Kasturba Road and connect towards Hudson Circle and then over the Mysore Road Flyover to reach Vijayanagar.
Footpaths are being laid near the Coffee Day Square and St. Joseph's School which brings the entire Kasturba Road to a halt. This work has been going on like for months.
For the last few days, I've been trying to measure the traffic using Google Navigation and then enter into this road, else deviate and take the Rajbhavan Road.
I enter Cubbon Park from Vidhana Soudha side and then take the Vittal Malya road to reach Richmond Circle. On return I take the St Marks road and I totally agree with you.

Traffic crawls even at 1pm and 10pm here and roads with so much wide footpaths (where you seldom have pedestrian activity) have gone narrowest.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:39   #6868
Senior - BHPian

The HAL road from old airport to Marathahalli is finally being re-laid after many years. The rain is disrupting work but the workers seem persistent. There is progress everyday. Ofcourse, working in these conditions will only guarantee a smooth road for a few months but hey, atleast they are doing something. Have already gotten used to the improper planning by our corporations after living here for 20 years.

I am a bit concerned of what will happen after Marathahalli as I hear that they are planning to start metro work on the Kundalahalli main road.
Old 21st October 2014, 11:18   #6869
Senior - BHPian

I have always been travelling to office by car. Yesterday I decided to take wife's new scooter, Wego (because I want it to clock at least a few tens of KMs between scheduled services). I left home at Sarjapur at 7.40 AM and reached office at Doddanekkundi at 8.20 AM (20 KMs distance).

Then I noticed. My dark blue jeans had turned brown because of dust. I wonder how much dust I inhaled. I am allergic to dust, so I am going to fall ill soon.

And the ORR from Marathahalli to Karthik Nagar is half-tarred. New layer of tar spans the right lane and half the middle lane. I almost skidded at the step created by this new layer. I was so so scared!

I also noticed what I hadn't noticed while driving the car. The left most lanes of ORR are completely useless! It's mostly covered in dust. Riding on it is risky, because motorbikes may skid during braking. In some places, vehicles are parked. Even buses refuse to go over the dirt, and stop in the middle lane for passengers.

Just by cleaning the left lane, I think half the traffic problems of ORR can be fixed!

By the way, isn't it criminal negligence on the part of concerned authorities, if someone dies due to an accident caused by improperly maintained roads? Why can't civil police arrest the engineers and charge them with involuntary manslaughter?
Old 21st October 2014, 11:30   #6870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
By the way, isn't it criminal negligence on the part of concerned authorities, if someone dies due to an accident caused by improperly maintained roads? Why can't civil police arrest the engineers and charge them with involuntary manslaughter?
they'll wait for someone to die before they lift a finger. that's how things work in India. being proactive - what's that?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 21st October 2014 at 12:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks