Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2014, 10:57   #931
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I only was not sure if i wanted the standard or the t100 Bonnie at that point, then settled in for the standard. I do own a zx-14r (still waiting for delivery) for the highways and the Bonnie does the thing for in city rides.
Nice that you settled for standard as it handles better than T100. Hope you have read my comparison report on standard and T100?

Congrats on ZX-14R as well. Thats one helluva bike and my favorite in current set of sports bikes and I have a personal liking towards Kwackers.

Look forward to pictures and also a ownership report of same on forum which will be the first one on forum, I think
Old 19th February 2014, 11:30   #932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice that you settled for standard as it handles better than T100. Hope you have read my comparison report on standard and T100?

Congrats on ZX-14R as well. Thats one helluva bike and my favorite in current set of sports bikes and I have a personal liking towards Kwackers.

Look forward to pictures and also a ownership report of same on forum which will be the first one on forum, I think
I did mention, after reading about it on the forum and actual owner reviews elsewhere, this includes your thread too .

Thank you, I wanted a highway cruiser sort of a bike (not sure of i can call the zx-14r a highway cruiser or a GT bike) and not a super sport like the zx-10r. Plus i had the condition of a very comfortable pillion seat, this left me with just two bikes to consider. I did my research and found the Kawasaki scoring a few more points over the Suzuki, so went for it. Oh and i had the pleasure of getting the feel of the Kawasaki (sitting on the rider seat and not riding) thanks to our forum member Insaneroller, who was kind enough to let me sit on his bike to get a feel.

I am not really good with ownership reports, but i have been promised the bike by the end of March so the wait continues. Thank you.
Old 19th February 2014, 11:47   #933
Senior - BHPian

Can some Bonneville owner clarify -
1. Are there 2 keys needed to operate the motorcycle. One for the Ignition and one for the handle lock!!?
2. Does the Chain need to be lubricated every 300km!!?

Last edited by dkaile : 19th February 2014 at 11:57.
Old 19th February 2014, 13:42   #934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Can some Bonneville owner clarify -
1. Are there 2 keys needed to operate the motorcycle. One for the Ignition and one for the handle lock!!?
2. Does the Chain need to be lubricated every 300km!!?
Dheeraj,

Answer is YES for both questions (at least in my case).

Chain - I believe its more of a precautionary note from Triumph as the chains are O ring sealed type. The logic is that the better the lubrication, it lasts longer. I have been lubing it only in around 600-800 km range and my original set is 24 K and counting.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 14:29   #935
Senior - BHPian

It's raining Triumph Bonneville’s on this forum and all over India as well. I would like to ask those who have ridden this motorcycle extensively as to how it will behave as a daily bike, considering this will be the only primary bike I will have in my stable. I mean if I had to ride this daily to my office through the chaotic and the infamous bumper to bumper traffic in Bombay, how will it behave? Also elsewhere someone has mentioned that the 865 parallel twin in the Bonneville is a high revving motor, how will it fare in the searing heat and humidity of Bombay again I am talking about bumper to bumper and not on the open highways.

What about the regular running costs, I mean spare parts, regular checkups like chain lubrication that dkaile and ram have mentioned. I know it is too early for new Triumph Bonneville owners in India to answer this, but Bonnie veterans on this forum can answer this and share some details about spare parts and other consumables costs.
Old 19th February 2014, 19:54   #936
Senior - BHPian

Had a funny incidence with Triumph today. I requested on their website for a test ride for the Bonneville to check out what the hoopla was all about. I had specified my location as Meerut by pincode. Got a call a few hours later from their Hyderabad dealer asking me to come over for a test drive!!! I answered surely if they were willing to send me a air ticket to Hyderabad . Anyways they soon realised their folly and assured me that a Delhi dealership was opening in a month or two and my request would be forwarded there.

It was strange to note that a company which has head quartered itself at Gurgaon with a production facility already there would not choose Delhi/Guragaon as one of their first dealerships, even logistics would support that. Anyways hope that their bureaucratic wrangles are sorted out soon so that we Northerners can also have a taste of what a Triumph is all about.
Old 19th February 2014, 20:08   #937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
What about the regular running costs, I mean spare parts, regular checkups like chain lubrication that dkaile and ram have mentioned. I know it is too early for new Triumph Bonneville owners in India to answer this, but Bonnie veterans on this forum can answer this and share some details about spare parts and other consumables costs.
The following has been the maintenance cost of my bike for the 24 K I have ran it so far
  1. 3 Oil Change - 12 lits of Oil (one at 1,000 KM and one each at 10 K and 20K)
  2. 3 Oil Filters (along with oil change explained bove)
  3. 1 set NGK Iridium spark plugs @ 20 K
  4. 1 set Tyres - at 20 K
  5. 3 cans of chain lubricant
All the srvices have been DIY as there was no full fledged Triumph Dealer in Dubai till middle of 2012. The DIY work shop charges were @ AED 30 per hour - for use of Bike Bench & Tools

In addition the fuel costs

The Chain lubrication is no rocket science and easily a DIY job - all you need is an old tooth brush and a good quality can of chain lube spray. If you have a Centre Stand it helps.

Its just another bike and kept with minimal care without any hassle as long as its kept stock and running on original engine map.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 08:39   #938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Chain - I believe its more of a precautionary note from Triumph as the chains are O ring sealed type. The logic is that the better the lubrication, it lasts longer. I have been lubing it only in around 600-800 km range and my original set is 24 K and counting.
Ram, could you please let me know which brand of chain lubrication is recommended and is it time period mandate as well apart from kms range. Like 800kms or 1 month, something of this sort?

Quote:
It's raining Triumph Bonneville’s on this forum and all over India as well. I would like to ask those who have ridden this motorcycle extensively as to how it will behave as a daily bike, considering this will be the only primary bike I will have in my stable. I mean if I had to ride this daily to my office through the chaotic and the infamous bumper to bumper traffic in Bombay, how will it behave? Also elsewhere someone has mentioned that the 865 parallel twin in the Bonneville is a high revving motor, how will it fare in the searing heat and humidity of Bombay again I am talking about bumper to bumper and not on the open highways.
Navin, Bonnie can be definetly used as a daily bike in Mumbai traffic but, dont expect it to be really pleasurable because it does heat up a bit in bumper to bumper traffic ( if you wear a jean, completely unnoticeable)as like any high powered bike reigning it in traffic would be a bit cumbersome but, better than competitors due to its lighter weight but, upside is the flickability of the bike that is dangerously addictive and will help you weave through the traffic with utmost ease

On second thoughts, heat emission from engine for my bonnie as reduced quite a bit. The day i drove the bike from showroom to home in thick traffic, it almost seared through my office trousers

Ram has already clarified on the service costs which doesnt seem much and intervals are as below

1st Service : 800kms
Cost : ~ 5K-6K ( Still not confirmed by dealership) but, will know soon as Absythguzzler is going through his 1st service and his bike should be delivered either today/tomorrow

2nd Service : 10,000kms
3rd Service : 20,000kms
Etc..etc

Service intervals are every 10,000kms or 1 year whichever is first. Btw, the oil being used by dealership is Castrol Fully Synthetic
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 08:46   #939
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
It was strange to note that a company which has head quartered itself at Gurgaon with a production facility already there would not choose Delhi/Guragaon as one of their first dealerships, even logistics would support that. Anyways hope that their bureaucratic wrangles are sorted out soon so that we Northerners can also have a taste of what a Triumph is all about.
I think it usually depends on the dealership. They need to find dealers who are ready. In this case dealers from Hyderabad and Bangalore were more eager to start off rather than dealers in North.

For example, Bangalore has quite a few Lamborghini's but the dealer has only opened shop recently.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 09:30   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ram, could you please let me know which brand of chain lubrication is recommended and is it time period mandate as well apart from kms range. Like 800kms or 1 month, something of this sort?

Btw, the oil being used by dealership is Castrol Fully Synthetic

The Owners Manual recomends Mobil Chain Spray or Mobilube HD 80

I have been using a brand called "Carlube 100+" Its "non fling" and suitable for "O" rings. But I suppose any of the chain sprays available in the market would do.

The 'book' says every 300 kms. I generally spray the chain once 600 - 800 KM range. Its more from practicality point as our average rides in UAE used to be a minimum of 400 to 600 km and can't sit and spray the chain in between.

When the chain is hot, touch and see if your hand will get some oil in it (black which is not very dry). If so as per my exerience, there is enough lubrication. If not lubricate it.

As I said before, what 'the book' says is a good practice guide line, some of which in my opinion you can adapt based on the conditions of your use.

Regarding Engine Oil - The Manual specs are as follows

Quote:

Semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH or higher AND JASO MA

Unquote:

Best Regards and Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 20th February 2014 at 09:31.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 14:39   #941
BHPian

For those of you concerned about regular chain lubing, I have read good reviews from bikers about the below product. Reviews in RIDER mag are also generally honest & straight to the point.

My only concern is, if you can use locally available oil then its fine but individually importing the oil also from UK may not be easy. Hope some of our motorcycle accessory shops in India can consider taking a dealership for this product

http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/sc...em-review.htm/

Last edited by Haroon : 20th February 2014 at 14:41.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 15:15   #942
Senior - BHPian

Thanks both you guys Ram and mobike008 for giving a rough idea about the regular upkeep costs. I would however like to wait for some more time and see how new owners of Bonneville's here in India have their experience with respect to after sales service of Triumph although I am a DIY guy and can do basic stuff but still certain complicated stuff is best left to the company service centre. I would like to see how much the replacement parts costs like disc brake pads, clutch and brake cables, Electronic Fuel Injection(EFI) system, indicator lights, front and rear mudguards,rear view mirrors, seat, sprockets, bend pipe, silencer, clutch plate assembly, front fork, rear suspension etc (all OEM's). I know it's too early for new owners in India to answer these questions, nevertheless these have to considered over and above the 8+ big ones we're going to plonk in.

I would wait and watch the ownership threads here as well as on other forums before taking the plunge. But Triumph Bonneville sure has got my pulse racing.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 20th February 2014 at 15:16. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 20th February 2014, 21:38   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Hope some of our motorcycle accessory shops in India can consider taking a dealership for this product

Haroon,

This is really not too much of concern.

I read in some other threads - especially the Duke 200 & 390 thread that they do have Chain Lube sprays availble at the Probike - SSPs. I am sure the other SBKs available now in India, the chain lubes are readily available. Other experts should be able to clarify

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 08:48   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks both you guys Ram and mobike008 for giving a rough idea about the regular upkeep costs. I would however like to wait for some more time and see how new owners of Bonneville's here in India have their experience with respect to after sales service of Triumph
I dont think you should be worrying too much about ASC as Ram mentioned, its just another motorcycle and does not require any special skills to take care of bike. Sales guy at Triumph dealership was telling me with little help he can himself fit the arrow exhuasts on Bonnie ( he is not a service guy, mind you)

Besides you live in Mumbai and not some remote town/village, so one more reason to not think too much about it

Quote:
I would like to see how much the replacement parts costs like disc brake pads, clutch and brake cables, Electronic Fuel Injection(EFI) system, indicator lights, front and rear mudguards,rear view mirrors, seat, sprockets, bend pipe, silencer, clutch plate assembly, front fork, rear suspension etc (all OEM's). I know it's too early for new owners in India to answer these questions, nevertheless these have to considered over and above the 8+ big ones we're going to plonk in.
This is a valid point with regards to cost of spare parts. But, let me ask you one thing in a hypothetical manner. Suppose your in the market to buy a bike and fall in love with the Bonnie, will you refrain from buying the bike because its spare part is 1.5 times your expectation?

If you ask me that question. My answer would be " That thought didnt even cross my mind before buying the Bonnie" .....And, Iam not a DIY guy at all. More than interest, my work schedules which are usually hectic do not permit me to dirty my hands. Therefore, I prefer squeezing in quality riding time than tinker around with the bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
[left] I generally spray the chain once 600 - 800 KM range. Its more from practicality point as our average rides in UAE used to be a minimum of 400 to 600 km and can't sit and spray the chain in between

[left]Regarding Engine Oil - The Manual specs are as follows

Semi or fully synthetic 10W/40 or 15W/50 motorcycle engine oil which meets specification API SH or higher AND JASO MA
Lubing the chain once every 800kms sounds more practical. I dont like the idea of carrying a lube can during rides
Old 21st February 2014, 09:00   #945
Senior - BHPian

Without lubes,no human or machine would work fine

A can would cost only 120Rs ( I forgot the brand I brought) and it can last for 3-4 rounds of spray. Its widely available locally since Pulsar's etc too need this every 500ks or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks