Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2014, 15:39   #961
Team-BHP Support

Triumph Street Triple!

Update update update: Don't get excited, i haven't made the cardinal sin yet.

Yup ^ pretty much sum's what i felt today morning. A close friend decides to go the Bonnie way and few of us decided to tag along and do some test rides. My eye's were just on only one bike, the Street Triple ABS. Yes the Tiger would have been better but its just too big for 80% City and 20% Touring life cycle. So after some faffing around the showroom i requested for the key. School nearby is having exam season and the road was choco-bloc, but what the heck best time to test the city handling of the bike.

The familiar sequence > off side stand, depress clutch, move to engine run mode and fire. Sweeeeeet this one just sounds perfect even with the stock cans. Turning radius is not great but still for the size it felt pretty maneuverable, the riding posture quite comfortable and bike felt nimble even while trying to move it out of parking. The bonnie on the other hand felt quite heavy. Yup i might have problems if my tummy grows, but right now its just fine and stays off the tank for my frame. I enter into peak traffic with a red signal ahead and waited with engine switched off, checking out the overall controls, mirrors (pathetic and useless for city, do shoulder check!) etc. Signal turns green and turn to residency road, man even at slow speed ST felt so easy i would say much better compared to the Duke 390. I got a small gap and gave her a lil stick and baaaaabbbbby... she is just sweet. The way she took off in first and moved to 2 fantabulous! The delivery is super slick and so addictive. It was time to put the anchors and take turn into the narrow downhill. Small bursts and changed up the gears, i have to give it to the 3 cylinder engine, it really can pull it off. Even at less than 50 kph one can shift upto 6 and even ride around with very gentle throttle. Yes the chain protests and this is not advisable, still the bike can.

Now i entered back to Hosur road, and fortunately it was the signal break and i got a pretty decent stretch till the richmond flyover. Peak hours, pedestrians and a totally new bike. I restrained myself and rode very normally, but at decent pace. Brakes with ABS and the way it behaves is very reassuring, though one might want to watch out for tailgaters inside the city. Again luck gave me a very clean gap under the flyover till residency road so was able to do one more quick launch before pulling down to 40's for merging into residency road side.

With traditional blips, crossed the signal and pulled in back to the showroom.

I am super impressed with bike. It's super sleek, nimble and easy to live with... as a street bike should, and will feel equally home at the weekend track days too.

Do i need one? Noooooo.... But i WANT one!
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-image.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th March 2014 at 16:00.
Jaggu is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 15:51   #962
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Street Triple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I am super impressed with bike. It's super sleek, nimble and easy to live with as a street bike should and will feel equally home at the weekend track days too.

StT is really a sweet bike.

The DNAs imprited on the current products definitely carries 112 years of experience in making two wheeled mechanical transportation. This has to count for something isn't it.

The T stable has something for every one - your comfort niche is StT and you were right at home on that.

Here I would borrow the original Yamaha RD 350 puch line - For those who dare to live their dreams

You want one and that is it !!!

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 16:14   #963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update update update: Don't get excited, i haven't made the cardinal sin yet. Do i need one? Noooooo.... But i WANT one!
Jags, you sound just like how I did on Jan 26th when i did my first test ride of a Bonnie and in next 12 days, got my bonnie home !!!

Should I revisit this thread after 12 days???
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2014, 19:00   #964
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48

This last Saturday, I had to go to the LIC office right opposite the Cash Pharmacy building for some work. I was particularly excited that I could pop into the Triumph showroom and check out the bikes on display.

I saw quite a few bonnie's which had the "SOLD" placard placed on them and the mighty tiger in one corner which my wife loved immensely. Costs a bomb, yeah.

I was drooling over the Street Triple and like Jaggu mentioned, I don't need one but WANT one

There were a few test ride bikes outside - the Storm, Bonny, Street Triple and Daytona.

I rode the Bonny and the ST in the building compound (test rides on the roads are provided on weekdays only, upto 5pm ; please carry your helmet and wear boots).

I loved the Bonny, super comfy, wife loved the rear seat too. She has ridden pillion on my ninja only twice and hates it since the seat is uncomfortable and ergonomics are too aggressive, no grab handles at the back.

Immensely smooth and highly refined, the bonny has a peppy engine and accelerates pretty fast in a refined and urgent manner.

But all that said, the ST was the bike that pulled or rather yanked my heart strings. Reminded me of the movie, Avatar where the character makes a connection with the bird he has chosen to fly. Slightly aggressive on ergonomics but definitely more seat space than the FZ-1 that I had ridden earlier.

I'm not in the market for a big bike as yet but I must say, the staff was pleasant and the bikes are awesome. These 2 bikes are in my list, when the time is right, i need to decide which one it's going to be.

I only wish the service area was bigger. There were only 3 bays and bikes were packed in the small service area for maintenance and routine checks.

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th March 2014 at 19:02.
Old 17th March 2014, 10:17   #965
BHPian

From Nov 26th or 28th 2013 till date is almost 3 and a half months and Triumph t still hasn't opened its showrooms in Bombay and Delhi. I guess cities like Chennai, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad which are the other major cities in the country can just hope that the showrooms open in the current millennium.

This again proves what I mentioned about Triumph in Dec 2014 itself that they have not done their homework seriously enough considering the delay of 2 years that they had with the launch itself. A classic case of being in the right place and at the right time but not being able to deliver the goods. (Pun intended).

Triumph may have excellent bikes but without showrooms and service centers not many people are going to buy them. Even Hyosung is doing a much better job than them. Triumph can only dream of taking on Harley, Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki but even matching the sales of Hyosung would be considered an achievement.
eltoro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 00:00   #966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
From Nov 26th or 28th 2013 till date is almost 3 and a half months and Triumph t still hasn't opened its showrooms in Bombay and Delhi. I guess cities like Chennai, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad which are the other major cities in the country can just hope that the showrooms open in the current millennium.
My guess is for two reasons and these are just my personal thoughts :-

1. South India is known for buyers being more savvy about their automobiles and launching a product in such regions initially will add a separate channel to manafacturers publicity by way of word of mouth as thats the most important aspect for any manafacturer and will create an aura of anticipation/excitement which Triumph has already created and hence, the restlessness of people across other parts of India

2. Secondly, the most important aspect is sales. Manafacturer must have researched prior to entering India which region/cities will give them the desired numbers and launching dealerships in a sequential manner

Dont be dejected. Triumph is here to stay and as a Triumph owner let me assure you the wait will be worth it
Old 18th March 2014, 11:29   #967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoro View Post
Please don't get dejected. Triumph had mentioned the sequence of opening dealerships all over India and Bombay and Delhi featured in the March- April months on the year.

I would suggest you ask around or even if you would see older posts on this very thread you would get your answers. I have no issues in repeating it again. Shaman (dealers for Mercedes) have got the Triumph dealership for Bombay and have opened bookings from over a month now. The showroom work is going on and would come up at Andheri (East). If you require the no of the person heading dealership, please do not hesitate to ask..i shall PM it to you.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 14:08   #968
BHPian

Hi @eltoro. The Pune showroom is almost complete & should start functioning 'normally' within a few days. I am not sure whether the TD / Display bikes have come. I even heard that about 100-odd bikes were held up with Customs due to changes in the Excise duty announced in the budget as the Customs & Excise come under a common department.

Anyways, I would be in the market for the Street Triple or the Z800 soon & having showrooms of both brands within the same city either makes it easier or adds to the dilemma
Old 18th March 2014, 20:34   #969
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Official image of the Triumph Kochi Showroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapilots View Post

I have a Street Triple and I'm riding it in TVM right now. So will be coming down to your showroom for my next service.
After Bangalore roads most of the TVM Roads "now" must be pleasure for you and the StT. You have relocated to TVM or on assignment to TVM ?

After 1st service, take it up to Ponmudi (but in a responsible manner please). 6 monts back the roads were really inviting

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Old 19th March 2014, 22:34   #970

Hello Ram,

I'm in the process of relocating. As part of it the first thing was to register the bike in TVM. THe ride is good except for the heat and humidity. I take it out during early mornings or evenings.

Finished the first service in Bangalore before shifting the bike. Will do a Ponmudi once I'm shifted to TVM for good.

Thank you,

Sham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
After Bangalore roads most of the TVM Roads "now" must be pleasure for you and the StT. You have relocated to TVM or on assignment to TVM ?

After 1st service, take it up to Ponmudi (but in a responsible manner please). 6 monts back the roads were really inviting

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
karmapilots is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2014, 22:23   #971
DipantS

Guys -- Anyone know's what is the deal with the handling charges?

I have booked street triple yesterday and to my surprise they are charging me 15k as handling charges extra which doesn't have any specific mention in the quotation. Handling charges should be an inclusive component of ex-showroom, is't it? Or do we need to pay it extra?

Old 23rd March 2014, 03:49   #972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't think too much, just buy it!
Steeroid is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2014, 11:01   #973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmapilots View Post
Hello Ram,

I'm in the process of relocating. As part of it the first thing was to register the bike in TVM. THe ride is good except for the heat and humidity. I take it out during early mornings or evenings.

Finished the first service in Bangalore before shifting the bike. Will do a Ponmudi once I'm shifted to TVM for good.

Thank you,

Sham.
Nice No wonder no one had seen this at Trivandrum.

Roads are of course better than what BLR has!

And check this comment about Bonnie.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superb...ml#post3396814
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 12:30   #974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipantS View Post

I have booked street triple yesterday and to my surprise they are charging me 15k as handling charges extra which doesn't have any specific mention in the quotation. Handling charges should be an inclusive component of ex-showroom, is't it? Or do we need to pay it extra?
Please check on your Invoice if it mentions RTO CRTM or plain handling charges?.

Kawasaki charges Rs. 10k as RTO CRTM (Rs.2K as Temp plate charge and Rs 6k handling charges), this is included in the ex showroom price. They also charge another Rs 6k as handling charge to send the bike to Bombay, if someone wants (like me).

I would suggest you ask the dealer for a break up for the handling charges as Rs.15k is on the higher side.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:10   #975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think Triumph charges a standard 15K irrespective of bike model purchased and I agree its on higher side

Quote:
My understand of charges of 15K break includes cost of following

1. Bike is unloaded by truck on city outskirts and dealership transports to their godown/showroom

2. RTO charges

3. Actual handling charges which involves moving the bike between godown/showroom

There is no escaping these charges. I did try negotiating and given to understand is non-negotiable

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks