Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 10:44   #3991
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

I had insurance from Reliance for the first year - HASS had no issues, they honoured the cashless claims without a fuss for some painting jobs.

Second Year I went to ICICI since they gave me quite a low quote compared to many other players - Checked with HASS, they said they had a good tie up with ICICI, nothing to worry.

Stayed with ICICI for 3rd and 4th year, premiums were quite low. On 4th year I had to claim for some painting jobs. No hassles, the cashless schemes went through without a fuss.

5th year, since I had a claim ICICI played smart, by asking for insane premiums, I went to Reliance.

6th Year - L&T came and gave a unbelievable offer, I checked with HASS, they say no issues. I went ahead.

The HASS where you go should have a nice relationship with these agents/insurance inspectors. Rest is no problems.

HASS has never thrusted me to a Honda Assure Insurance scheme ever. They told me for a price some benefits are there, rest is your choice
laluks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:38   #3992
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Got couple of queries with the insurance renewal regarding 2010 model.
Last year, the vehicle was having an IDV value of 1119760.
This year, they had given the quote for 979790. Is this a valid IDV, or should I ask for modifying the same?

Another doubt is regarding the third party liability. This is supposed to come down as the vehicle ages, or is it the other way round?
To prevent disputes now the IDV is Starting 95%, 1 year 80%, then 10% decrease every year. This is what you get in case of a Total Loss or Theft. As for the Act part there is no NCB and it is being increased every year, hence the escalation.

vivek; Now all companies are cashless for the dealerships and major workshops. Also, at the end of the day there are a few assessors working for all of them.

Only issue (incl Honda) can be whether they will insure an older car (>5 years) and if you do what I do - namely move to Act Only when within a year of selling, will they give a NCB certificate? This is valid for three years. I hear that Act only is only done by the Sarkari cos!

Last edited by sgiitk : 4th December 2012 at 11:42. Reason: Last two paragraphs addded
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 23:53   #3993
BHPian

Thanks Laluks for the information.

Pardon me Prof for the ignorance. Can you please elaborate further as to what is ACT (is this just third party insurance?). I simply know that this is one of the component in the premium, nothing more than that. If you could elaborate further on this one and also help me understand in a more layman terminology, how I should go about getting my car insured, it will help me a great way in deciding on my car insurance due next month.

Just posted a thought in my ownership thread which I am replicating here as a food for thought.

Mods: That brings a thought in my mind. Can we not have a repository of pictures of all original spares for majority of the cars here in TBHP. I know its an exhaustive database that will have to be created, however if its not possible for all parts, then at least for all the consumables / spares that are commonly replaced by car owners can be looked at. Will help all of us in doing a comparison while buying spares from outside and ensuring that we buy genuine ones. Thoughts welcome

Only issue (incl Honda) can be whether they will insure an older car (>5 years) and if you do what I do - namely move to Act Only when within a year of selling, will they give a NCB certificate? This is valid for three years. I hear that Act only is only done by the Sarkari cos![/quote]

Last edited by Vivek5870 : 4th December 2012 at 23:56. Reason: Thanked laluks for his post
Old 5th December 2012, 09:09   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Can the Civic's wing mirrors folded manually? The reason for asking is, am bit worried about the scenario wherein I park the car without folding them and some one tries to fold it manually. Will this cause some issues with the motor?
Old 5th December 2012, 09:25   #3995
BHPian

Yes, Sarathlal, they can be closed manually, however, I would recommend you avoid it as far as possible (chances of breakage is high). Also, it is always advisable to have the mirrors closed while parking the car. My car cleaning guy used to open it manually, that is when I got to know that this can be done, however I have instructed him not to open it manually.

Quote:
Can the Civic's wing mirrors folded manually? The reason for asking is, am bit worried about the scenario wherein I park the car without folding them and some one tries to fold it manually. Will this cause some issues with the motor?
Old 5th December 2012, 09:39   #3996
BANNED

Vivek; Act is the name for what we call Third Party. Also, you have to get the no claims certificate within 90 days of moving off. Getting this is a pain, since they will try every trick in the book to avoid giving it. Sarkari cos have no issues with a Comp Cover after five years either. My Santro was covered for seven years, till I moved off in August. My insurance is handled by a neighbour who is a senior DO is New India, so I get the certificates easily.
Old 5th December 2012, 14:05   #3997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, should have searched a little bit more exhaustively on this before putting this question here.

The answer is, there is no harm in manualy operating these OVRMs, discussed in detail here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...anually-2.html
Old 6th December 2012, 00:03   #3998
BHPian

Prof, another quick question, are you saying that post 5 or 7 years, one should go for a third party insurance rather than comprehensive one? I mean does it make more business sense not to pay premium for comp insurance rather just do a third party and save the amount in case you need it to repair the car in case of an accident? Is that what you mean by saying "My Santro was covered for seven years, till I moved off in August". Was this the sole reason for you to move to third party after 7 years?

If this is true, then what about theft of the car? How do we cover that? Can I just take third party and theft insurance for the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Vivek; Act is the name for what we call Third Party. Also, you have to get the no claims certificate within 90 days of moving off. Getting this is a pain, since they will try every trick in the book to avoid giving it. Sarkari cos have no issues with a Comp Cover after five years either. My Santro was covered for seven years, till I moved off in August. My insurance is handled by a neighbour who is a senior DO is New India, so I get the certificates easily.
Old 6th December 2012, 00:11   #3999
BHPian

Sarathlal, I had also gone through this thread after seeing that my cleaning guy was operating it manually. Although as per the thread, it does say that there is no harm, yet I would say some things are better left to gut feel and my gut feel says that operating it manually on several occassions may lead to some failure in the mechanism as it requires a lot of force to operate it manually.

Quoting this with all due respect to fellow BHPians who have contributed to the below thread. That's just my gut feel and I do listen to it.

Quote:
Ah, should have searched a little bit more exhaustively on this before putting this question here.

The answer is, there is no harm in manualy operating these OVRMs, discussed in detail here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...anually-2.html
Vivek5870 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 10:01   #4000
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Prof, another quick question, are you saying that post 5 or 7 years, one should go for a third party insurance rather than comprehensive one? ....Was this the sole reason for you to move to third party after 7 years?

If this is true, then what about theft of the car? How do we cover that? Can I just take third party and theft insurance for the car?
No what is true is that many insurance cos are reluctant to offer comprehensive after about five to seven years. Also, they do not offer Act only. Then the sarkari ones may be the only option. There used to be categories like Act + Theft and Act + Theft + Fire with premia at 25% and 40% of the full comprehensive. I used them for ages, till they did away with these.

Why I moved to Act was I wanted to take the NCB certificate, as I knew the car I will sell the car within a few months. I always do this.
Old 7th December 2012, 15:42   #4001
Senior - BHPian

Re: 30,000 km service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870 View Post
Thanks for the update Spadix. Can you please give some more details on the lubing/tightening of bolts throughout the car for which you spent 3K. Do you have the details as to what all activities were undertaken to charge such an enormous amount. The reason I am saying enormous is that I fail to understand HASS charging 3K just to tighten the bolts and put some grease. Shouldn't this be a part of the regular service. After all, we do expect them to tighten all loose bolts and apply grease wherever required.
This was exactly what I asked the SA too, because during every other service prior to this, every SA would come and tell me that they re-torqued all suspension nuts and bolts and that all the suspension noises should go away (which never happened, but that's a rant for another post).

So this time, this SA told me that actually this 3k job involves more than just the suspension nuts/bolts re-torquing. It apparently involves refitting/re-tightening/re-whatever of the door panels and linings. To be fair to him, he did quote a 2.7k INR estimate in the job card and that's exactly what was charged.

Regards,
spadix
Old 7th December 2012, 15:47   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
So this time, this SA told me that actually this 3k job involves more than just the suspension nuts/bolts re-torquing. It apparently involves refitting/re-tightening/re-whatever of the door panels and linings. To be fair to him, he did quote a 2.7k INR estimate in the job card and that's exactly what was charged.
So, where did you get this done? Which HASS? Is there a standard name for this job?

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2012, 00:09   #4003
BHPian

To be honest Spadix, if I were in your situation, I would have dug deeper into it and would want to investigate more into this along with the entire procedure followed and get it in writing from them for future reference and then cross check it with some other dealership or call Honda 1-2-1. This seems to me more like a cheating case rather than a job well done. Not to dissapoint you Spadix but I am still cynical about this service and the amount that they have charged. As Templehof mentioned, if you can tell us the terminology of this service as per the bill, we would check it with our HASS and see whether something like this exists or not and if they do, how is it performed and the charges too. Should help all fellow BHPians for future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Old 8th December 2012, 00:33   #4004
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof
So, where did you get this done? Which HASS? Is there a standard name for this job?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek5870
To be honest Spadix, if I were in your situation, I would have dug deeper into it and would want to investigate more into this along with the entire procedure followed and get it in writing from them for future reference and then cross check it with some other dealership or call Honda 1-2-1. This seems to me more like a cheating case rather than a job well done. Not to dissapoint you Spadix but I am still cynical about this service and the amount that they have charged. As Templehof mentioned, if you can tell us the terminology of this service as per the bill, we would check it with our HASS and see whether something like this exists or not and if they do, how is it performed and the charges too. Should help all fellow BHPians for future.
Yeah, the amount quoted no doubt seemed a little over the top, and what really bothered me here was not once did the SA ask me to delay it by just a day to avail o some massive Honda-sponsored (i.e. no burden to HASS) discounts on the parts replacements I got done.

Anyway, not a whole lot I can do about it now, but here are the details of the job as per the bill -

Job name: IPP (ALL DOOR / UNDER BODY NUT BOLT TIGHTEN & LUBRICATE)
Type: Labour
Labour Code: PNTGCHGS
Description: PAINTING CHARGES
Job Value: 2700
VAT: 12.36%
OC/VAT (WCT): 13.125%
Total: 3317.22

I've also attached a picture (kindly excuse if it's not very useful) of the line item on the proforma invoice.

Didn't understand the double taxation bit either, because only labour was involved and there were no part changes.

This was at Ring Road Honda, Gurgaon.

Regards,
spadix
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos-image3925915182.jpg  

spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2012, 13:22   #4005
Senior - BHPian

I have a couple of questions.

1.Does the 2006 honda civic have a setting to display average fuel efficiency?
2. My civic's A/C is working flawlessly but the heater isnt working. Can anyone help me find out what to check/what's wrong?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks