Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2020, 22:04   #9661
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Civic : Maintenance, Service Costs and Must dos

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Hi. Just check once if the plastic stopper in the brake pedal which pushes the brake switch is intact. Here on this thread, I’ve encountered civics having that plastic part shredded due to age; including my own car. I just placed a bolt as replacement as HASS didn’t have that part in stock.

Confirm before changing the switch.

Regards.
I only wish you had responded a few hours earlier. Yes, it is the stopper (white in color) that cracked into pieces. I presumed it would be available only along with the brake light switch and placed an order this evening with boodmo for the switch as such. Just wondering if I should cancel the order now and replicate what you've done.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 22:11   #9662
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
I only wish you had responded a few hours earlier. Yes, it is the stopper (white in color) that cracked into pieces. I presumed it would be available only along with the brake light switch and placed an order this evening with boodmo for the switch as such. Just wondering if I should cancel the order now and replicate what you've done.
We can now easily conclude that it’s a common age related failure in the 8th Gen civic. Please check the order status. That white plastic stopper is easily replaced by a metal bolt of proper size. I’m using that arrangement since a couple of years now without any issues.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 10:28   #9663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We can now easily conclude that it’s a common age related failure in the 8th Gen civic. Please check the order status. That white plastic stopper is easily replaced by a metal bolt of proper size. I’m using that arrangement since a couple of years now without any issues.

Regards.
It is certainly an age related issue but what baffles me is that I have never experienced such an issue in my 17 yr old Esteem which has done more miles. The same thing applies for the window weatherstrip as well. I have to change the one on my Civic as it has worn out badly while the one on the Esteem is still going strong despite being older than the Civic and being subject to harsher weather conditions.
Old 27th October 2020, 10:44   #9664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
It is certainly an age related issue but what baffles me is that I have never experienced such an issue in my 17 yr old Esteem which has done more miles. The same thing applies for the window weatherstrip as well. I have to change the one on my Civic as it has worn out badly while the one on the Esteem is still going strong despite being older than the Civic and being subject to harsher weather conditions.
Hi rr_zen,

Just saw your post and yes this is indeed a known age related issue on the 8th Gen Civic. I have also faced the same and just like saket77, I too have replaced the same with a simple bolt.

Check the following video. It is a simple 5 min fix:

Best,
Enigmatic
Enigmatic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:24   #9665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Hi rr_zen,

Just saw your post and yes this is indeed a known age related issue on the 8th Gen Civic. I have also faced the same and just like saket77, I too have replaced the same with a simple bolt.

Check the following video. It is a simple 5 min fix:
Best,
Enigmatic
Thank you my friends. Finally, got the issue fixed as per your suggestion(s). It was a simple DIY. The only improvement I made to it was to add a second nut to the bolt to act as a lock nut. Attaching a video of how it turned out.

I ended up saving 1.5K overall, not to mention the immense satisfaction one gets out of accomplishing something like this.

Last edited by rr_zen : 28th October 2020 at 17:25.
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 23:22   #9666
BHPian

Hi Greetings, I have a 2013 Civic V AT which I bought last year at 48K kms (Verified the mileage from Honda independently) on the odometer. I have driven the car a bit and now the Odometer stands at 54K Kms. I had to replace the Cooling coil and the Engine mounts were replaced as well (as preventive maintenance) since I despise vibrations of any sort.

Both jobs and other routine servicing were carried out outside of Honda since I was in no mood to be overcharged or have them point out other flaws with the car that don't exist. One thing that I haven't touched is the Transmission oil. I wanted to know what's the frequency of changing the same and am keen on getting it done. I'm however in a fix whether to get it done at Honda or through FNGs that I know. The other day I happened to ring up Honda for inquiring about the same and the dude mentioned about the CVT oil being changed. I promptly corrected him that the 2013 and older models sold have Torque Converters and Not CVTs.

Thing is, such instances aren't exactly confidence inspiring and using CVT oil in a Torque Converter setup could be disastrous. I would give it to my trusted mechanic but again need to be sure that he would use Honda ATF only. Any thoughts on this? Also I have heard that one you drive a lot and the oil hasn't been changed, its better not to change it since it can lead to slipping (If the fluid is already black). Hence a keen on getting it done promptly since 54k kms isn't much.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th November 2020 at 19:20. Reason: Splitting post into paragraphs for better readability + adding a space after punctuation marks.
Old 15th November 2020, 00:34   #9667
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
. I would give it to my trusted mechanic but again need to be sure that he would use Honda ATF only. Any thoughts on this? Also I have heard that one you drive a lot and the oil hasn't been changed, its better not to change it since it can lead to slipping (If the fluid is already black). Hence a keen on getting it done promptly since 54k kms isn't much.
Make sure you go with the Honda ATF only. Please check the interval in the manual. If you have a good tech guy, then procure the original Honda ATF from sites like Boodmo and get it replaced at your FNG; but also I would like to point out that routine maintenance stuff at Honda ASC is not so that expensive as it may seem. For example, changing engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc are reasonable at HASS. you’ve got a problem when you have any party going bad. Original Parts are quite expensive for the civic, no doubt.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 13:50   #9668
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I'm facing trouble with the rear left door on my 2009 Civic. It opens from inside but won't open from outside, its a little frustrating. Any idea what could be the culprit?

Cheers
Old 19th November 2020, 13:58   #9669
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys,

I'm facing trouble with the rear left door on my 2009 Civic. It opens from inside but won't open from outside, its a little frustrating. Any idea what could be the culprit?

Cheers
Control rod issue: It may be out of place from its plastic routing bracket or that plastic bracket is probably broken. Take out the door pad by unscrewing the screws present under the internal door handle module and then inspect if anything looks out of place or broken.

Regards.
Old 19th November 2020, 14:02   #9670
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Control rod issue: It may be out of place from its plastic routing bracket or that plastic bracket is probably broken. Take out the door pad by unscrewing the screws present under the internal door handle module and then inspect if anything looks out of place or broken.

Regards.
Wow, thanks for the super fast response mate! I will follow your suggestion.
Old 19th November 2020, 17:11   #9671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys,

Cheers
Maybe a jab of Wd-40 could loosen things up. Best to get it checked at a good FNG. Do not take it to Honda. They will ask for a door replacement. Initially I thought it could be due to the child safety lock but I figured you have trouble opening from outside rather than inside.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 19th November 2020 at 17:15.
Old 19th November 2020, 18:49   #9672
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Maybe a jab of Wd-40 could loosen things up. Best to get it checked at a good FNG. Do not take it to Honda. They will ask for a door replacement. Initially I thought it could be due to the child safety lock but I figured you have trouble opening from outside rather than inside.
Thanks, Sumeet. I have no intention of taking it to Honda. The car is going to be sold, so no point in taking it to a dealer for a 11yrs old car.
Where exactly should WD-40 be sprayed? On the handle itself, it doesn't seem to be of much use.
Old 19th November 2020, 18:52   #9673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunaqv471 View Post
Hi Greetings, I have a 2013 Civic V AT.
I wanted to know what's the frequency of changing the same and am keen on getting it done.
Quote:
but also I would like to point out that routine maintenance stuff at Honda ASC is not so that expensive as it may seem. For example, changing engine oil, transmission oil, coolant, etc are reasonable at HASS.

Civic AT transmission oil change interval is 60K for the first change, and then every 40K kilometres.

Also, I second Saket's suggestion on HASS for regular maintenance.
the 60K service costs including the ATF change and oil change is around 6K.
sarathlal is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 21:59   #9674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Civic AT transmission oil change interval is 60K for the first change, and then every 40K kilometres.

Also, I second Saket's suggestion on HASS for regular maintenance.
the 60K service costs including the ATF change and oil change is around 6K.
Thanks a lot for responses you both! Much appreciated. I was actually considering giving HASS a chance and strictly telling them to undertake only the routine service like Oil changes, checking various fluid levels, Throttle body cleaning, general tune up , etc and telling them up front that there are no leaks whatsoever in the car (The Infamous Power Steering rack and Pump issue which i believe is their standard rip off recommendation) or other issues. Just that due to the lockdown and Covid, I wasn't comfortable sending the car there without being able to be there and guide them personally. I have read a few horror stories about vehicles being dinged or the interiors being stained or AC's going bust etc, so I was a bit wary. Guess i'll try them out once after the 6 months schedule is up.As for the Transmission oil, I am inclined to get it done at HASS, but as mentioned by me, my telephonic conversation with the Service advisor wasn't the most reassuring considering he was mentioning about CVT oil being changed. Or as Saket advised, i'll get that changed from my FNG. Lets see. I Guess I have a few thousand Kms left until its due as rightly pointed out by you regarding the 60K mark( My Odometer stands at 54k kms).Also 6 K for a service including AT oil is not bad at all, pretty darn reasonable I'd say.
Old 19th November 2020, 23:58   #9675
BHPian

Hello fellow BHP ians. Need your direction and help. My 2007 Honda Civic Manual Transmission has done about 46,000 km. The engine is absolutely perfect and no complaints. During my routine service at Arya Honda Mumbai I have however been told the folllowing:

1. Both CV axel boots are cut up
2. Both tie rod end bushings are cut up
3. Both rear linkages are weak
4. Both Lowrys arms are weak
5. All dampers are weak

I assume the 13 years I have had this car would have degraded these parts. Your help please on the following:

1. How do I get the above attended to? Who is a dependable and knowledgable person or shop in Mumbai that can do this for me
2. In your opinion should I spend that kind of money to get these attended to. I plan to keep the car as its worth nothing in terms of sale and has a fantastic engine and a manual transmission.

Any direction would be great. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks