Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2015, 14:54   #451
BHPian
 
abkett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SYDNEY/SINPORE/
Posts: 65
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Elite i 20 cross :

According to overdrive reports , i20 cross is getting launched on march 9 .

Apart from the extrior features like DRL's , new alloy wheels , extra wheel base , etc there was a mention about change in the interior as well.

I was wondering what more could be offered to the interiors ?. Might be a touch screen infotainment system .

Engines are expected to be the same . No surprise is 1.4 litre petrol is offered to give the extra punch . It will take on Etios cross and VW cross polo .
abkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 18:59   #452
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Hi, I had a question for the team BHP-ians.
The Elite i20 Asta uses the Engine start-stop switch.

Q1. Is this technology better than the conventional engine start mechanism (with the key)? What advantages does the start-stop have over the conventional key start?

Q2. If anyone can point me to how this technology works, that will be real great.
I tried Google but did not a proper link.

Moderator: If this question has been asked in the wrong thread, kindly move it to the proper thread (I searched before posting here and was unable to find the right place to post this).

Thanks.
alih052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 19:18   #453
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 745
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Went to the dealership, asked if I could take delivery of vehicle with temp registration or at least with the for registration sticker since after 23rd there was no auspicious day for the next 7 days. Again a big fat no.
.
The problem may not be with the dealer but with the website of the RTA ( am hazarding a guess).

Usually, once the PDI is completed and the relevant forms are signed, the dealership pays the life time tax and other fee, as may be the case, to the RTA online. Insurance is a must. Only after this is the temp registration allotted. At this stage, the dealership usually expects cash / DD of margin money along with the banker's delivery letter.

Dealer is obliged under the law to deliver the vehicle only after the temp registration is completed. Otherwise, if any thing goes wrong, it is trouble for both the parties.

Habitually, dealers generally do this work in the evening. As the server of the RTA will be busy at that time what with all the dealers logging on to the site, it some time causes delays.As you have completed the formalities two days in advance, it must have been lazy of the dealer not to raise temp reg on 21st itself.

The vehicle can still be delivered under the trade vehicle ( which means it is the dealership's vehicle) but that is risky.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 20:09   #454
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
I did come across a weird issue when i parked the vehicle after a 550 km drive in my garage and in next 10 minutes came back to start the car for some reason and found there was absolutely no power in the steering and very hard to turn the wheels
Hi ssengo,
This could probably happen when CAR tries to perform a self diagnosis on EPS (Electric Power Steering) system.
There is a mention of same in user manual (Page 5-30) .
Attached Images
 
kanishkster is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 20:46   #455
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by alih052 View Post
Q1. Is this technology better than the conventional engine start mechanism (with the key)? What advantages does the start-stop have over the conventional key start?
Talking briefly, the most obvious advantage is that you don't have to take the key out of your pocket/purse for anything, from start to finish of your journey. This especially comes in handy when you are carrying your things around the car and don't have hands free to take your key out . This also prevents one from misplacing the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alih052 View Post
Q2. If anyone can point me to how this technology works, that will be real great.
I tried Google but did not a proper link.
There should be a lot of info on internet . Check this out for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key
kanishkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2015, 20:50   #456
dvv
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 26 Times
Smile Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
The problem may not be with the dealer but with the website of the RTA ( am hazarding a guess).
Yes, from what my SA explained to me, this seemed to have been the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Usually, once the PDI is completed and the relevant forms are signed, the dealership pays the life time tax and other fee, as may be the case, to the RTA online. Insurance is a must. Only after this is the temp registration allotted. At this stage, the dealership usually expects cash / DD of margin money along with the banker's delivery letter.
Yes they were supposed to pay the life time tax & registration fees which they were unable to do so. Insurance had already been taken and given to them from my end. Full payment of money had been made one week before from the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Dealer is obliged under the law to deliver the vehicle only after the temp registration is completed. Otherwise, if any thing goes wrong, it is trouble for both the parties.
I'm unsure regarding this temp registration that you mention. Is it the white text on red board, the kind the dealer uses to move vehicles around from yard to dealership to RTO ?
Either ways, here in Chennai, the car is delivered only once the registration is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Habitually, dealers generally do this work in the evening. As the server of the RTA will be busy at that time what with all the dealers logging on to the site, it some time causes delays.As you have completed the formalities two days in advance, it must have been lazy of the dealer not to raise temp reg on 21st itself.
This was my point of contention with them. When everything had been cleared from my end well ahead of time, they should have ensured that the vehicle is delivered as stated.

Anyways, the vehicle has been registered and I've received the registration number as well. Will be taking delivery of the car on Sunday. So all is well that ends well.

A quick snap of the car taken at the dealership tonight. Apologies for the poor lighting, picture taken on my mobile.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-car.jpg

Also a picture of the waiting list for various cars @ Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-waiting-list.jpg

Drive Safe.
dvv
dvv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 10:17   #457
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 20
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
Talking briefly, the most obvious advantage is that you don't have to take the key out of your pocket/purse for anything, from start to finish of your journey. This especially comes in handy when you are carrying your things around the car and don't have hands free to take your key out . This also prevents one from misplacing the key.


There should be a lot of info on internet . Check this out for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key

Hi Kanishkster, thanks for the reply. However I think I did not phrase my question properly. I was interested in the Auto start engine and its advantages over the conventional engine (increases fuel efficiency?) and not the smart key.

Regards.
alih052 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 10:27   #458
BHPian
 
H_Dogg72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 281
Thanked: 141 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alih052 View Post
Hi Kanishkster, thanks for the reply. However I think I did not phrase my question properly. I was interested in the Auto start engine and its advantages over the conventional engine (increases fuel efficiency?) and not the smart key.



Regards.

I guess you're quoting auto start stop. That's not present in the i20. It only has push button start. No benefits apart from convenience.
H_Dogg72 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 11:00   #459
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by alih052 View Post
Hi Kanishkster, thanks for the reply. However I think I did not phrase my question properly. I was interested in the Auto start engine and its advantages over the conventional engine (increases fuel efficiency?) and not the smart key.

Regards.
Well you are referring you quite a premium feature, which automatically turns off/on the engine when the car is in rest (and some other conditions). That is definitely not present in Elite i20. What you rather have is just a fancy switch for ignition and it is tightly coupled with Smart Key feature .
kanishkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 16:00   #460
BHPian
 
ssengo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishkster View Post
Hi ssengo,
This could probably happen when CAR tries to perform a self diagnosis on EPS (Electric Power Steering) system.
There is a mention of same in user manual (Page 5-30) .
for your clarification. That really helps. I was wondering why did i face this issue only once and not anymore. Appreciate your info
ssengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015, 15:59   #461
BHPian
 
ssengo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Is it possible to get a copy of the Engine Scan diagnosis report before and after the service? Does it make sense to request this at service?
ssengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 14:57   #462
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 98
Thanked: 14 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post
Yes, from what my SA explained to me, this seemed to have been the problem.


Yes they were supposed to pay the life time tax & registration fees which they were unable to do so. Insurance had already been taken and given to them from my end. Full payment of money had been made one week before from the bank.


I'm unsure regarding this temp registration that you mention. Is it the white text on red board, the kind the dealer uses to move vehicles around from yard to dealership to RTO ?
Either ways, here in Chennai, the car is delivered only once the registration is complete.


This was my point of contention with them. When everything had been cleared from my end well ahead of time, they should have ensured that the vehicle is delivered as stated.

Anyways, the vehicle has been registered and I've received the registration number as well. Will be taking delivery of the car on Sunday. So all is well that ends well.

A quick snap of the car taken at the dealership tonight. Apologies for the poor lighting, picture taken on my mobile.

Attachment 1334252

Also a picture of the waiting list for various cars @ Hyundai Motor Plaza, Chennai

Attachment 1334253

Drive Safe.
dvv
Is the wait time so less for all the models since its for Chennai?

The wait time everywhere else is very different. For example in Pune, the waiting time for the I20 (P) Asta is >=4 Months.
snowmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 20:54   #463
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Took my Elite i20 (Petrol) today to Nandi Hills (Bangalore). The road is moderately steep and has lots of hairpin bends. I was slightly concerned about 1.2lt engine being underpowered and also had 5 passengers in my car.
But the overall driving experience was great and thankfully the engine didn't disappoint me .

But, I did face an embarrassing situation.
I had to stop the car on a very steep plane (due to heavy traffic). When it was time to move, shifted to 1st gear and accelerated; engine stalled.
Ignited it again and tried, same issue. When it happened for the third time and there was a chaos behind us with many vehicles honking horns; I literally started cursing the engine and my investment in this car.
It was then when my friend enlightened me telling that I was releasing the handbrake slightly late. Tried his advice, released the handbrake first and then quickly accelerated; voila, the car moved like a breeze. Took a sigh of relief !!
Not sure if it is normal to do such mistakes even after so many years of driving experience. Or probably since it's a new car (have covered only 250kms till now), I will take sometime to get used to it.
Anyways ... moved a step closer in understanding my car !!

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd February 2015 at 08:55. Reason: Only two smileys per post permitted.
kanishkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 22:48   #464
BHPian
 
drpudhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Erode/Kovai
Posts: 287
Thanked: 228 Times
Default Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvv View Post

I'm unsure regarding this temp registration that you mention. Is it the white text on red board, the kind the dealer uses to move vehicles around from yard to dealership to RTO ?
Either ways, here in Chennai, the car is delivered only once the registration is complete.
No. It is just a temp number generated by RTO thats valid for 30 days and has the format TN xx TMP xxxx. You no need to pay road tax for temp registration. I did my temp registration in chennai and did proper registration by paying the road tax et al in erode 15 days later.
drpudhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2015, 05:50   #465
dvv
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 26 Times
Smile Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmane View Post
Is the wait time so less for all the models since its for Chennai?

The wait time everywhere else is very different. For example in Pune, the waiting time for the I20 (P) Asta is >=4 Months.
It could possibly be because it's Hyundai Motor Plaza. I was told they have priority over the quantity of cars they receive and also they can choose what models they wish to receive. Other dealers just get a lot of cars and they have to sell those cars. If a customer needs a particular variant and color then Hyundai Motor Plaza will source it directly whereas other dealers will have to wait and watch if they receive that variant and then deliver it.
And yes proximity to the Hyundai factory does help with the transportation logistics time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpudhi View Post
No. It is just a temp number generated by RTO thats valid for 30 days and has the format TN xx TMP xxxx. You no need to pay road tax for temp registration. I did my temp registration in chennai and did proper registration by paying the road tax et al in erode 15 days later.
Oh ok. I was not aware of such a system.

Drive safe.
dvv
dvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyundai Sibling Rivalry : Grand i10 vs Elite i20 vs Xcent iamendangered Hatchbacks 74 19th September 2015 18:20
Elite Forum, Elite Feeling xydon Introduce yourself 4 8th June 2012 19:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks