Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2016, 08:38   #916
BHPian

re: Skoda Laura: Problems & solutions thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
What you are referring to is for the headlamps with halogen projectors. L&K models have the HID bulbs with the auto leveling system (AFS). The projector movement is controlled by a servo motor using a swiveling axle and arm.
Using VCDS you can do the basic setting (learning function for zero level) but you have adjustment screws for X & Y axis on AFS headlamps too.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2016, 17:23   #917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestarry View Post
Can the owners of Laura 1.9 PD Tdi list out the spare parts for the car that they have sourced locally ( non Skoda A$$).
It would help the other owners tremendously in avoiding being scammed by the A$$.

Laura owners need to stick together in these dark days;
The Laura feels well put together but for a few (deliberately) fragile components like the timing belt, wheel bearings, a turbo (made of egg shells) and egr.

I have sourced front brake rotors @5900 from TNG through amazon. Rear brake pads from Bosch @ 1500.
Mapco is a major player in Skoda, VAG parts but only available through amazon etc who are unable to get good images and tech specs from the seller.

Let us work on this guys and we could meet at the tenth B'day meet of my Laura in Jul 17.

Apart from Amazon, I came across the following sites having limited availability of spare parts of Laura:

http://spareshub.com/
http://www.motrpart.in/
http://www.partsbigboss.in/
http://genuineparts.in/
http://sparekartindia.com/

Others can add further to this list...

I recently bought Sachs clutch master cylinder through Spareshub. Got the item after 1 week from date of ordering.

BTW, anyone know the part number of the following parts required for 1.9 PD TDI (Engine series: BJB)?
- Timing belt kit
- Water Pump

Does anyone having ETKA / ELSAWIN software?
I was planning to buy Elsawin, ordered from ebay.co.uk but didn't get the item since the seller was removed from ebay and finally ebay refunded me the amount.
Old 2nd April 2016, 17:07   #918
BHPian

Dear All,

Needed some help with my Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI PD L&K. It been 6.5 years since I bought her, never gave me too many issues till date, but I feel that age has caught upto her a little bit. Its only done 57k kms

I have changed 2 batteries, disk brakes, and then regular maintenance.

Current Issues with the car

A/C: The A/C in this car has been giving me issues for around 6 months or so, the compressor takes any time between 2 mins to 1 hour for it to start working. Off late it started only after 20 mins or so, family started dreading to ride in this car and staying in Chennai, not blaming them finally decided to take a plunge and changed the compressor from Ignite Garage which is close to home (a trusted independent garage). Set me back by 40K for an original piece. All is good now. Touchwood.

Jerky Idling: When the clutch is depressed and the car is in neutral it gives a weird idling clatter sound along with unnatural vibrations from the car. Does anybody know what could be the reason?? Timing Belt has to be changed in the next service, could that be the reason.

Clutch Assembly The service guy has suggested to change the clutch assembly as he found it to be weak, any idea how much this costs? also should I change clutch also?

Ceiling Cloth: The ceiling cloth has started to become loose, infact the moon roof cloth is almost come out as the gum to which it was stuck has lost its hold, any idea what can be done for this?

Will be thinking to keep this car atleast for an year, so any preventive maintenance which I should do, please do advise.

TIA
M
xtremeshock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 10:34   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Dear All,

Needed some help with my Skoda Laura 1.9 TDI PD L&K. It been 6.5 years since I bought her, never gave me too many issues till date, but I feel that age has caught upto her a little bit. Its only done 57k kms

I have changed 2 batteries, disk brakes, and then regular maintenance.

Current Issues with the car

A/C: The A/C in this car has been giving me issues for around 6 months or so, the compressor takes any time between 2 mins to 1 hour for it to start working. Off late it started only after 20 mins or so, family started dreading to ride in this car and staying in Chennai, not blaming them finally decided to take a plunge and changed the compressor from Ignite Garage which is close to home (a trusted independent garage). Set me back by 40K for an original piece. All is good now. Touchwood.

Jerky Idling: When the clutch is depressed and the car is in neutral it gives a weird idling clatter sound along with unnatural vibrations from the car. Does anybody know what could be the reason?? Timing Belt has to be changed in the next service, could that be the reason.

Clutch Assembly The service guy has suggested to change the clutch assembly as he found it to be weak, any idea how much this costs? also should I change clutch also?

Ceiling Cloth: The ceiling cloth has started to become loose, infact the moon roof cloth is almost come out as the gum to which it was stuck has lost its hold, any idea what can be done for this?

Will be thinking to keep this car atleast for an year, so any preventive maintenance which I should do, please do advise.

TIA
M
With only 57k kms, I think the car should not have these issues.

1. Jerky Idling - One of the causes is, worn out flywheel. My car Laura 1.9 TDi L&K AT has done 112k kms and I got this issue at about 90k kms. It will set you back about INR 60k. Get it checked at the Service centre, they can tell you by listening to the idling sound.

2. Clutch Assembly - Flywheel is part of the clutch assembly, first get that checked and this might solve the problem.

3. Ceiling cloth - Happened in my case also when I gave the car at Skoda ASS for flywheel repair. They did it free of cost as it happened during the repair. They'll keep the car for 1 day and do the whole cloth pasting again.

Hope this helps
ricky_1605 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2016, 13:01   #920

Hello,

I have a Laura L&K 1.9 PD DSG bought in 2007. The car has done around 45k kms and I have been maintaining it very well, getting it serviced at the ASC (Gurudev Motors, Poonamalle).

I now have the below issues in my car. I know a mechanic who worked in Skoda and I have taken his views on the issues in my car. Request the expert guidance of Team-BHP members to confirm these and guide me in the right path.

1. Noise when slowing down - When slowing down, the car makes a noise like metal balls clanking below the accelator/brake. I browsed around and suspected it might be an issue with the flywheel, which was confirmed by the mechanic. Cost quoted by him to change the flywheel is 45k. He said he would source the original part from Skoda.

Is there any issue when going for flywheel replacement? Anything that I should lookout for?

2. Exhaust warning lamp - A few months ago, the exhaust error lamp on my dashboard lit up. This was a few days after I banged my car on the concrete while going in reverse. The part below the bumper near the exhaust outlet is severely dented. I took the car to Gurudev and they indicated that EGR might have failed. However, they were unsure and said I would have to replace EGR for Rs. 18,000 and if the problem is still not solved, they would look into other components. But they would not refund the cost of the EGR. I refused to this and the next day, they called me and informed that Turbo is gone and they quoted the cost as Rs. 1,70,000 for turbo replacement. I refused and brought my car back but since then, I have been driving the car under 2,000 RPM out of fear that if I move into the turbo zone, I might run into problems. The mileage has dropped to around 11 kmpl from 12.5 kmpl. The exhaust also smells of diesel.

Was my banging the car any reason for this? Could this really be a turbo failure or should I check into other aspects such as hosing, pipes, etc. The mechanic has offered to look into it and I want to ensure he looks at all relevant aspects.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2016 at 17:08. Reason: Reducing use of bold formatting just a bit :)
Old 8th April 2016, 12:31   #921
Senior - BHPian

Question regarding the Laura Ambiente, 2011/12. This came without fog lamps, auto dimming IRVM and rain sensing wipers. Can anyone confirm whether this had the auto light sensor (maybe not being used)? So in case one wants to enable auto lamps, coming/leaving home lights, is changing the switch enough or does the sensor also need to be procured?

And for fog lamp retrofit, I'm guessing these are needed: fog lamp assembly, bulbs, wiring harness and switch. Anything else? Did these Ambientes have rear fog lamps?
Old 8th April 2016, 12:52   #922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Question regarding the Laura Ambiente, 2011/12. This came without fog lamps, auto dimming IRVM and rain sensing wipers. Can anyone confirm whether this had the auto light sensor (maybe not being used)? So in case one wants to enable auto lamps, coming/leaving home lights, is changing the switch enough or does the sensor also need to be procured?
No, the sensor was removed. My friend's Ambition from a later batch had fog lamps but Rain sensor was not there on windshield.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2016, 15:37   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
No, the sensor was removed. My friend's Ambition from a later batch had fog lamps but Rain sensor was not there on windshield.
I own 2011 Ambition model and my car had fog lamps but missing rain sensor and auto light sensor, Is there any provision to add these sensors

The reason I am asking is I understand provision for cruse control function is not available in ambition model
Old 8th April 2016, 17:26   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
I own 2011 Ambition model and my car had fog lamps but missing rain sensor and auto light sensor, Is there any provision to add these sensors
You will have change the windshield glass as well to accommodate these sensors, if you find a way to source and fit them.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2016, 20:47   #925
BHPian

Question about the aircon in a 2007 Laura 1.9PD:

When I set the temp to anywhere up to 25C or so, the temperature shown at the console keeps rising up if the aircon is unable to cool the car properly. I've seen it rise up to almost 49C. Has anybody seen a similar problem before?
Old 20th April 2016, 09:59   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
Question about the aircon in a 2007 Laura 1.9PD:

When I set the temp to anywhere up to 25C or so, the temperature shown at the console keeps rising up if the aircon is unable to cool the car properly. I've seen it rise up to almost 49C. Has anybody seen a similar problem before?
I also have a 2007 Laura but have never experienced this. There must be something wrong with temp knobs. Its an old car and I think some cleaning is required. I hope the circular knobs aren't free moving.
ricky_1605 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 01:17   #927
BHPian

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a bit of help here ... I've been in talks to buy a used 2011 Laura TSI, the car is pretty low mileage (genuine) and in good condition. But there's a glitch. I just managed to get the entire service history of the car from Skoda and everything matches what the owner has stated except that sometime in september last year the car had been brought to the service station on a flat-bed. The reason according to the record was that the engine was starting and the gear supposedly engaging but there was no drive - car was not moving. Post that there's no record, obviously the owner did not get the repairs done at Skoda and took his car back.
Now I've test driven the car and it seems to be running just fine, but now I'm very concerned. What could the problem have been? It seemed like a serious issue, probably with the clutch (if not the gearbox), that the owner got dealt with outside and not at Skoda. I'm not too sure what the quality of work done would have been, if it's just a temporary fix or something like that...
Guys, any thoughts on what the problem could have been? I will talk to the owner, but he may give random answers. I really want to be sure before i make a decision, i don't want to end up with a bill of lakhs later.
Old 26th April 2016, 09:24   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a bit of help here ... I've been in talks to buy a used 2011 Laura TSI, the car is pretty low mileage (genuine) and in good condition. But there's a glitch. I just managed to get the entire service history of the car from Skoda and everything matches what the owner has stated except that sometime in september last year the car had been brought to the service station on a flat-bed. The reason according to the record was that the engine was starting and the gear supposedly engaging but there was no drive - car was not moving. Post that there's no record, obviously the owner did not get the repairs done at Skoda and took his car back.
Now I've test driven the car and it seems to be running just fine, but now I'm very concerned. What could the problem have been? It seemed like a serious issue, probably with the clutch (if not the gearbox), that the owner got dealt with outside and not at Skoda. I'm not too sure what the quality of work done would have been, if it's just a temporary fix or something like that...
Guys, any thoughts on what the problem could have been? I will talk to the owner, but he may give random answers. I really want to be sure before i make a decision, i don't want to end up with a bill of lakhs later.
I think you should ask the owner how long back did it happen. If the car has run about 5-10k kms after the repair then I don't think you should worry.
The probable cause according to me would be flywheel as it happened to my 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT when I could engage it to D mode but it wouldn't move. The cost involved for Flywheel replacement is INR 70k for AT and around INR 50k for MT.
Old 26th April 2016, 14:48   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
I think you should ask the owner how long back did it happen. If the car has run about 5-10k kms after the repair then I don't think you should worry.
The probable cause according to me would be flywheel as it happened to my 2007 Skoda Laura L&K AT when I could engage it to D mode but it wouldn't move. The cost involved for Flywheel replacement is INR 70k for AT and around INR 50k for MT.
Hi Ricky, thanks so much for the input. I'll try getting some information from the owner. It seems the car has done about 1800 km since this happened 9 months back.
Guys, are there any known issues like this with the TSI drivetrain, that i should check? I've seen a few Skoda flywheels being sold on Olx, Quikr etc.
Old 27th April 2016, 09:30   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry can View Post
Hi Ricky, thanks so much for the input. I'll try getting some information from the owner. It seems the car has done about 1800 km since this happened 9 months back.
Guys, are there any known issues like this with the TSI drivetrain, that i should check? I've seen a few Skoda flywheels being sold on Olx, Quikr etc.
1800 kms in last 9 months is very less. Not trying to scare you but even if some work was done outside he might have the bill of the job done. You can ask for that to get more clarity.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks