Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 17:29   #4651
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute
Yawwwwwwwwwnnn... I think I have started to feel stagnated now with the iPhone. But the biggest problem is, what to choose next. Being an Apple lover, don't know which can fit the supreme experience that Apple products give.

Out of all the candidates, I am most impressed with Nokia Lumia 900, which is yet to be launched in India. However, read a new about Nokia somewhere that they are doing really bad. Lack of cash, top exec running away to other big brands, etc.

Any ideas? Probably the wrong thread to ask, but there might at least 5% iPhone users who might be yawning like me.
Ajay, if you yawn with iPhone, you may probably get into deep sleep with the Lumia 900. Don't get me wrong here. I use both iPhone and Windows 7.5 (HTC HD7). The latter is really a breeze to use, but it's so simple that it's easy to get bored pretty fast. Instead of plonking money on Lumia 900, probably it's better to wait for next gen iPhone
Old 18th June 2012, 18:33   #4652
Senior - BHPian

re: The iPhone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Slightly OT but I would like to know what are the differences between 300W and 200W models? Say I use it to charge Laptop or to charge camera battery (via battery charger) then which version would be better (or should I say suffice)? I am planning to buy one.
when i bought the Belkin AC/DC () both versions (200w and 300w) were available so i bought the higher capacity one (just in case i had to light up a stadium some day, you know ). nowadays i find only the 200w in retail stores.

a laptop charger has a 65w rating (can go up to maybe 85w); other devices like camera chargers, cellphone chargers and et al consume much less power. hence, a 200w Belkin AC/DC (hehe..) is good enough.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:41   #4653
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Yawwwwwwwwwnnn... I think I have started to feel stagnated now with the iPhone.
If you want the freedom of customizations and if you like to have a different phone within your phone every now and then, then Android is the only answer as of now. Even Windows phone gets you bored very easily. Android has the concept of launchers and there are even launchers which can mimic a Windows phone (Launcher7) or iPhone (MIUI, Go). The scope of customization is not limited to launchers alone, by the way.

Last edited by clevermax : 18th June 2012 at 18:43.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:50   #4654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Just gave a try on getting my phone unlocked by AT&T after reading so many success stories -

Have a white iPhone 4 bought from craigslist jailbroken and running on Gevey in India.

Called the At&T helpline number from skype which wouldnt cost you anything so you can keep calling until you find some one who is willing to help. Got through 2 reps and both said they cant help as i dont have original owner name or number..
Update

Got a mail from At&t the very next morning that my issue hs been resolved so i gave a try after deactivating my iphone with redsnow and after connecting to itunes voila - freedom from Gevey, got factory unlocked.

Its another thing that i sold my phone and shifted to Galaxy note
Old 18th June 2012, 21:02   #4655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
I called up Apple Support India and asked to fix my 3GS' display. Im ready to pay charges as its 2 year old.......

......This is bad news if US products cannot be serviced in India. That means my Mac, iPods, iPhones 3GS and 4S, iPad 2 are worthless here?
The policy is only for iPhone and not for any other devices and it is just not India specific. They do not honor the warranty/repair/replace on iPhones anywhere in world if they were bought from different region. It is very well mentioned on their website as well.
All other products carry world wide policy. And it is not just Apple, there are lot of other companies out there following such practice.
Old 18th June 2012, 23:34   #4656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax

If you want the freedom of customizations and if you like to have a different phone within your phone every now and then, then Android is the only answer as of now. Even Windows phone gets you bored very easily. Android has the concept of launchers and there are even launchers which can mimic a Windows phone (Launcher7) or iPhone (MIUI, Go). The scope of customization is not limited to launchers alone, by the way.
Just jailbreak the iPhone and you can do all of the customisation that you do with Android. I think iPhone/iOS is still the best of the lot. I am able to run iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 3GS, where are Android ICS cannot be run on phones 2-3 years old.
Old 19th June 2012, 01:16   #4657
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (team-bhpians on a Mac)

I have an mp3 that plays for 30 seconds and I want to use it as my ringtone. How do I do that? I tried creating the AAC version but unfortunately was not able to get it to work. Followed the post here but did not work as expected. Is there any other alternative?

Use a song as a ringtone for the iPhone « Tech Help
Old 19th June 2012, 07:59   #4658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I have an mp3 that plays for 30 seconds and I want to use it as my ringtone. How do I do that? I tried creating the AAC version but unfortunately was not able to get it to work. Followed the post here but did not work as expected. Is there any other alternative?

Use a song as a ringtone for the iPhone « Tech Help
This is one of things that has been made unnecessarily hard in iPhone for no sane reason. In Android I can just pick a MP3 and make it ringtone. But the above technique works, I remember following the same guide for 3GS. Check your steps. Try making it less than 30 seconds.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th June 2012 at 08:05.
Old 19th June 2012, 08:09   #4659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77

Just jailbreak the iPhone and you can do all of the customisation that you do with Android. I think iPhone/iOS is still the best of the lot. I am able to run iOS 5.1 on my iPhone 3GS, where are Android ICS cannot be run on phones 2-3 years old.
Agree that you can do 'some' level of customizations on iOS after getting out of the jail. But in Android there is no root required and it is relatively easy to do all that.

I want to see a sense weather widget with 3d graphics all over the screen

Last edited by clevermax : 19th June 2012 at 08:21.
Old 19th June 2012, 09:05   #4660
Senior - BHPian

Custom ringtone steps: http://www.demogeek.com/2009/07/31/h...o-your-iphone/
Old 19th June 2012, 10:36   #4661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is one of things that has been made unnecessarily hard in iPhone for no sane reason. In Android I can just pick a MP3 and make it ringtone. But the above technique works, I remember following the same guide for 3GS. Check your steps. Try making it less than 30 seconds.
In fact I made it less than 30 seconds and it did not help either. I figured out another way of doing it using the garageband app in my MBP. Here is a link to the tutorial and it works like a charm. A bit of work to do but it is worth it. I can now compose the music that I want to have as a ringtone. With garageband, I have the possibility to select the part of the music that I want as a ringtone. Importing the garageband created ringtone in iTunes is as easy as a breeze.

Make A Ringtone With GarageBand | Mac.AppStorm
Old 19th June 2012, 12:31   #4662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980

In fact I made it less than 30 seconds and it did not help either. I figured out another way of doing it using the garageband app in my MBP. Here is a link to the tutorial and it works like a charm. A bit of work to do but it is worth it. I can now compose the music that I want to have as a ringtone. With garageband, I have the possibility to select the part of the music that I want as a ringtone. Importing the garageband created ringtone in iTunes is as easy as a breeze.

Make A Ringtone With GarageBand | Mac.AppStorm
To set any mp3 as ringtone, do the foll -
1. Select the mp3 in iTunes
2. Create a copy of it and save it to iTunes
3. Under mp3 properties, set start and end time as desired so that the length is less than 30 seconds
4. Now under tools (or similar) select create AAC version
5. On the newly created version, rename it to m4r, then right click in iTunes and set it to type ringtone.

This will work

Last edited by vinod332002 : 19th June 2012 at 12:32.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:55   #4663
Senior - BHPian

I am using the assistive touch feature and trust me, I have not touched the home button even once in the last few weeks. No idea how the gestures and favourites work on it.

MP3 tone setting can be an irritant, but you do it once and it works. Looks like developers were focused on high end features and they slept over basics.
Old 20th June 2012, 06:34   #4664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo
Looks like developers were focused on high end features and they slept over basics.
I can tell you Apple has solid reasons for everything they do or don't do.

Where they have no restrictions, they can go to depths trying to improve the user experience. But where they have limitations, for example, music and related features, they have made it hard for the user to do something if not completely block it.

Here specifically the limitation is their deals with the recording industry in terms of what to allow the user to do. Ringtones are big business for the industry and they don't want to lose that business by making it easy for the user to create and use ringtones on their own.

Same is the case with copying songs on and off iOS devices. It's possible to put freely obtained songs but not easy as pie. Apple, though, has managed to hoodwink the industry into believing that the controls they have put are effective. Not sure if you remember Steve's public appeal to the industry to shun DRM.
Old 20th June 2012, 12:30   #4665
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
I have been warned by mods to not post links to my blog. Thus if you are facing any issue or wants to consult me for iOS device then shoot a PM and I will reply.
Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks