Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2011, 08:08   #4636
BHPian

re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Viju I believe it has to be the Nexus S. I got it from Letsbuy recently for 18.7K. Extremely satisfied. The firmware got updated to 2.3.4 from 2.3.3 as soon as I connected to Wi-Fi and this will be true for future update too. Plus no bloatware and clean android interface. Have been playing some high demanding games like Modern Combat, Nova2, Ahphalt6 etc comfortably. Battery lasts for 2 days (just) with daily 1 hour of Wi-Fi usage, 1 hour of Games and regular personal calls (have a separate office BB). Two shortcomings noted till now:

1). No native video calling over carrier (Possible with MIUI ROM flash/not useful in Indian scenario as of now)
2). No digital zoom in camera (You can always zoom in PC)

I believe both the shortcomings to be plugged in next update. The curved screen although not a functional addition is a delightful feature and is nice to hold onto and beautiful to look to .

Thanks for info Nexus S. I have almost decided on Nexus S.

The price quoted at flipkart yesterday was Rs.19999/- and letsbuy site was not coming up. You got a price of 18.7k from letsbuy? Is there a difference in model/features now or is it just a price increase?

Is there any other shopping site for India or store where I can get it for a good price?
Old 8th July 2011, 08:18   #4637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
Thanks for info Nexus S. I have almost decided on Nexus S.

The price quoted at flipkart yesterday was Rs.19999/- and letsbuy site was not coming up. You got a price of 18.7k from letsbuy? Is there a difference in model/features now or is it just a price increase?

Is there any other shopping site for India or store where I can get it for a good price?
Well my experience with Letsbuy has been good. Just use the icicilb coupon code and you will get this price. No the model is the same no difference its just additional discount. The piece which I got was a March'2011 import so the stuff is fresh also.

Do order accessories also at the same time from:

AMZER® - Google Nexus S Accessories

So you will get all things at the same time.
Old 8th July 2011, 08:29   #4638
Senior - BHPian

letsbuy is updating servers, should be up soon. there is an fb page for them. check that out.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:25   #4639
BHPian

Was looking at the HTC Evo 3D, some of the reviews out there have highlighted battery life as big negative.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:34   #4640
BANNED

This looks like a very good deal. Only $459 without contract on Verizon! Looks like I will have to find someone who's coming back from US.
Motorola Droid 3 Officially Announced On Verizon - TI OMAP4, qHD Display | how2i.com
Old 8th July 2011, 11:54   #4641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
GPS Test..
I've installed GPS Test and it shows the current speed along with some other information. Is there a way to get the distance traveled between two points. This feature is present in GPS data on Nokia E71, but could not find it on GPS Test. Am I missing any thing here or is there any other application that shows the distance traveled between 2 points along with the speed and the time taken.

In Nokia E71, If we navigate to Trip distance option under GPS Data application, the required information is shown. Hence, requesting anything similar. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 8th July 2011 at 11:57.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:02   #4642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
For those who are looking out for new phone deals, check this out :

Samsung Smart Phones: Wave II S8530, Galaxy i9003 / i9023 Nexus S, Galaxy S i9000, B7510 starting @ Rs 9,990 !! Stay In Touch With Style !!

Also, keep checking on this site for new deals. I just purchased a Google Nexus One for 14000!

These deals keep coming up, so you may find a steal!
Ya, and the deals are city specific also!
Like restaurant coupons, pubs, clothing, spas, and whatnots!
Oh, yes, stealer deals on mobiles too!
e.g.

Flipkart: Spiro - 4108/-
Deals: Spiro - 3599/- !!
Plus you have these 100 bucks / 250 bucks / 50 bucks coupons for doing regn and all!

Guys, register through this link, (and thus help me also get some coupons! )
http://www.dealsandyou.com/customer/...ode/DN6P386482

I HOPE this has no catch!
and, I doubly hope- I am not violating any rules here.

For the benefit of all!

Thanks Keyur!
(OT: you should have posted your link!- better register through that - and help you with 250 bucks . lolz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've installed GPS Test and it shows the current speed along with some other information. Is there a way to get the distance traveled between two points. This feature is present in GPS data on Nokia E71, but could not find it on GPS Test. Am I missing any thing here or is there any other application that shows the distance traveled between 2 points along with the speed and the time taken. Thanks.
Try Speedtest :
Shows speed/average speed/altitude! (the one I used to confirm that we had NOT yet reached the Chikmagalur peak! lolz)/A to B distance (just like Odo!!)
and more importantly:
How many satellites is the GPS able to see at the instant!! << that is amazing!

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 8th July 2011 at 12:04.
Old 8th July 2011, 12:04   #4643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I've installed GPS Test and it shows the current speed along with some other information. Is there a way to get the distance traveled between two points. This feature is present in GPS data on Nokia E71, but could not find it on GPS Test. Am I missing any thing here or is there any other application that shows the distance traveled between 2 points along with the speed and the time taken.

In Nokia E71, If we navigate to Trip distance option under GPS Data application, the required information is shown. Hence, requesting anything similar. Thanks.
GPS Test does show speed, altitude and heading (there are tabs in the software for that). For a full fledged GPS software including navigation, distance covered etc. kindly head over here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2407013
Old 8th July 2011, 12:52   #4644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible

Upgrade through ODIN takes about 5 mins after you download the files.
Go on to the above and select KF3 (INU) file and follow rest of the procedure.
All settings and downloaded application stays the same.
However it is recommended to do the factory reset, it's speculated that it may improve battery life.
The changes observed
better connectivity : My 3g signal stays more stable than before.
Screen Lock : one can choose different for screen lock now or revert back to default screen.
Swype : More setting on swype now.
Brightness : Auto brightness is more stable compared to before, works better.
Game Hub : some addition of games on game hub, it connects seamlessly.
Battery : Android OS uses 2% less battery power along with the display. I am observing slight improvement in Battery power. Can comment on this after couple of days usage on 3G.

Will update on more changes.

SGS2:

I observed some changes to dialer as well, Icons slightly bigger than before plus if you want to call someone from the log list just slide over the name / number and it calls the person, same way for msging slide back and forth and goes to the sms mode.

Its much more convenient than before now. Also noticed that it has freed up some ram.
Old 8th July 2011, 13:08   #4645
BHPian

Persons using SGS2, any idea on the menu function Settings -> About Phone -> Software Update -> Check for Update. Can we do a FOTA (Firmware Over the Air) update using this option other than using Kies?. When I select this, it is asking me for a Samsung A/c Id.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:38   #4646
Senior - BHPian

ATTN: Those talking about Samsung mod-friendliness and samfirmware being the mecca and suchlike .......
...... its crap.

now the urban legend is that the all powerful ODIN manages to do everything for the firmwares.

I have live firsthand information on how (NOT) to flash an Indian i9003 aka SGSL phone. I can well advise that for anyone who ever wants to do any jugaad should NOT BUY THIS PHONE till there is a clear flashing protocol established.

The fellows at samfirmware.com have shared incompatible guides, incompatible DDKB2 firmware (the file setup that ODIN needs is not what's shared on the website).

To top it all, this <2 month old phone has an idiotic "Internal SD card unexpectedly removed" error which completely freezes it up. Recovery mode cannot be entered and needless to say, I am livid.

My friend did contact Sammy for warranty software repair but their logic of working 10-2 Mon-Fri is so useless that the poor chap will now take tomorrow halfday just for this trivial task. Complete ***. So much for mod friendliness and most info/data available online.

What we did - via http://www.samfirmware.com/WEBPROTECT-i9003.htm , we got the right ODIN, the drivers and the FIRMWARE, and the PIT file. We loaded the PIT file as advised (said "start" in green) and then realized the DDKB2 is the single dump format while the recommended ODIN is the partitioned PDA/Phone/CSC format with a PIT. Because we were going page by page and had flashed the PIT before realizing that the format is incompatible, the phone doesn't boot anymore. The fricken phone is a brick that only boots into the downloading mode.

Spare me the brouhaha the next time, please. I repeat - if u want to do some random keedas/modding - please stick to proven mod-friendly phones like the Defy and the Desire till the i9003's firmware is publicly available.

@dkaile saab - sent u a PM. Kindly share your contacts. Need some good help on this.

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th July 2011 at 15:43.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:39   #4647
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Also, keep checking on this site for new deals. I just purchased a Google Nexus One for 14000!
1) How did you get this deal?
2) Have you received the phone yet?

cya
R

@phamilyman - if you wanted a mod-friendly phone, you should have got the SGS (i9000). I don't think the SGSL has even a fraction of the support.

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th July 2011 at 15:42.
Old 8th July 2011, 15:53   #4648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What we did - via Login - www.SamFirmware.com , we got the right ODIN, the drivers and the FIRMWARE, and the PIT file. We loaded the PIT file as advised (said "start" in green) and then realized the DDKB2 is the single dump format while the recommended ODIN is the partitioned PDA/Phone/CSC format with a PIT. Because we were going page by page and had flashed the PIT before realizing that the format is incompatible, the phone doesn't boot anymore. The fricken phone is a brick that only boots into the downloading mode..
Get the required separate file's and start all over. It will spring back to normal, i faced the same issue with samsung device. ie if recovery mode is still working
Old 8th July 2011, 15:56   #4649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
ATTN: Those talking about Samsung mod-friendliness and samfirmware being the mecca and suchlike .......
...... its crap.

now the urban legend is that the all powerful ODIN manages to do everything for the firmwares.

I have live firsthand information on how (NOT) to flash an Indian i9003 aka SGSL phone. I can well advise that for anyone who ever wants to do any jugaad should NOT BUY THIS PHONE till there is a clear flashing protocol established.

The fellows at samfirmware.com have shared incompatible guides, incompatible DDKB2 firmware (the file setup that ODIN needs is not what's shared on the website).

To top it all, this <2 month old phone has an idiotic "Internal SD card unexpectedly removed" error which completely freezes it up. Recovery mode cannot be entered and needless to say, I am livid.

My friend did contact Sammy for warranty software repair but their logic of working 10-2 Mon-Fri is so useless that the poor chap will now take tomorrow halfday just for this trivial task. Complete ***. So much for mod friendliness and most info/data available online. The fricken phone is a brick that only boots into the downloading mode.

Spare me the brouhaha the next time, please.

@dkaile saab - sent u a PM. Kindly share your contacts. Need some good help on this.
Shaant bheem shaant. I can feel your plight. Sorry, I wasn't able to help out here. I have been modding my Galaxy Ace, which is pretty simple.

However, SGSL seems to be using completely different ROM files. In fact, I didnt even know what's a PIT file and Odin ver 1.3 (But I believe these are comparable to .CSC file and Odin ver 4.38 for other Samsung Android phones) But I saw the guide at SamFW and from what I could gather, this step looks critical:

- Select Re-Partition when you have 3 files.
- Don't select Re-Partition if you have one file.

I hope you're following these steps?

P.S. Were you able to enter the "Downloading" (aka Recovery) mode? Usually the way to do it on a Samsung Android is
Vol down + Center (Home) + Power button.

On my phone, If you press the Vol up + Center (Home) + Power button, you'll get into the RAM Dump menu (I dont know what that does!).

Keep these 3 pressed together for a good 5-7 seconds. Be patient!!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 8th July 2011 at 15:59.
Old 8th July 2011, 16:00   #4650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
I have been facing issues with Kies since last 4 days but had to look for an alternate. Here's the link with all the instruction that would be helpful. [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 KE7/KE8/KF1/KF3/KF4/KF2/KF3 download and Root Guide. - xda-developers

Upgrade through ODIN takes about 5 mins after you download the files.
Go on to the above and select KF3 (INU) file and follow rest of the procedure.
All settings and downloaded application stays the same.
However it is recommended to do the factory reset, it's speculated that it may improve battery life.
The changes observed
better connectivity : My 3g signal stays more stable than before.
Screen Lock : one can choose different for screen lock now or revert back to default screen.
Swype : More setting on swype now.
Brightness : Auto brightness is more stable compared to before, works better.
Game Hub : some addition of games on game hub, it connects seamlessly.
Battery : Android OS uses 2% less battery power along with the display. I am observing slight improvement in Battery power. Can comment on this after couple of days usage on 3G.

Will update on more changes.
I'm kinda new to android devices and just wanted to confirm, are we rooting the phone here or just upgrading the fw?

Any risks etc. in the process? And shouldn't the upgrade be a straightforward process?

Am I missing something here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks