Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:33   #2056
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
dkaile,

which android navigation app is that and what is your handset model ? How long does it take to get a GPS lock ?
I use multiple navigation softwares. I like Google Navigation (its different from Google Maps) but somehow in India couldn't get it's voice guidance system to work. Works very well though. The other software you are seeing is NDrive with complete India maps, with voice guided turn by turn navigation and its offline (i.e. doesnt use data, so no data charges on phone). Best of all its hacked free

Now you can follow our android offline maps topic here, where my friends have just chopped another great software for free (better than Ndrive) - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 8

Follow that topic for many great choices in offline navigation for android phones working completely free (made to) so no fleecing by these companies.

My phone is imported from US and its called Samsung EPIC 4G (in cdma, and not available off the shelf in India, hacked to work on Reliance cdma). Its similar to Galaxy S or S2 variant now available in GSM in India. My topic on my phone is here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

It takes less than a minute to get a gps lock when in my car or outdoors.

Last edited by dkaile : 23rd June 2011 at 09:37.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:41   #2057
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Tried the Google maps from the offspring's Samsung mobile. Not very thrilled.
A bigger screen (min. 4") on the phone is essential to really enjoy GPS navigation on the phone. A good car dock for the phone is also necessary. And a proper (hacked ) software is most essential for voice guided navigation to enjoy all this navigation for free. Then it works very similar to a dedicated GPS device without spending the moolah.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:48   #2058
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
A bigger screen (min. 4") on the phone is essential to really enjoy GPS navigation on the phone. A good car dock for the phone is also necessary. And a proper (hacked ) software is most essential for voice guided navigation to enjoy all this navigation for free. Then it works very similar to a dedicated GPS device without spending the moolah.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks. Will have a dekko at the MMI stuff and then see how things progress.
Will have the back up possibly in this form.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:11   #2059
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Will have a dekko at the MMI stuff and then see how things progress.
Will have the back up possibly in this form.
To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original ICE system. The MMI system that I told you about is perfect. Though it is very surprising to note that they have not listed the same on their website. When I called their customer-care and asked, they said its newly launched and hence not shown on their website. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 11:44   #2060
Senior - BHPian
 
Guderian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Thane
Posts: 1,616
Thanked: 1,408 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
1. To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original.

2. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.
Hi dkaile,
Thanks.
1. Completely agree with you. Would have loved to have it that way.

2. But then this (2 ) is what bothered me ! The total waste of the original system.
And also the fact that I really like to keep my vehicle as stock as possible.
Not to forget that my experience with after market fitments have always been poor. There has/have always been a problem or two once the original fitment has been tampered with - so a big put off for me. And hence the look around for a stand alone piece.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 00:00   #2061
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kollam
Posts: 10
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
To be very frank General, nothing beats the pleasure of having an in-dash touch screen voice guided navigation system replacing the original ICE system. The MMI system that I told you about is perfect. Though it is very surprising to note that they have not listed the same on their website. When I called their customer-care and asked, they said its newly launched and hence not shown on their website. But high cost and wastage of the original system is a factor.

"Waze" on android is an excellent navigation software, its free and can feed you with live information on traffic and other road hazards.... (it gets the info from other people using it )
bijeeshvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 10:26   #2062
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I use multiple navigation softwares. I like Google Navigation (its different from Google Maps) but somehow in India couldn't get it's voice guidance system to work. Works very well though. The other software you are seeing is NDrive with complete India maps, with voice guided turn by turn navigation and its offline (i.e. doesnt use data, so no data charges on phone). Best of all its hacked free

Now you can follow our android offline maps topic here, where my friends have just chopped another great software for free (better than Ndrive) - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 8

Follow that topic for many great choices in offline navigation for android phones working completely free (made to) so no fleecing by these companies.

My phone is imported from US and its called Samsung EPIC 4G (in cdma, and not available off the shelf in India, hacked to work on Reliance cdma). Its similar to Galaxy S or S2 variant now available in GSM in India. My topic on my phone is here - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G - The Beast Is Here! - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

It takes less than a minute to get a gps lock when in my car or outdoors.
I have installed the sygic maps as instructed but it doesn't show me india maps in the available list and india maps are not available for download as well. Could you help me out ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 10:54   #2063
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Fleet Admiral Togo Heihachiro - Toyota Fortuner. Life Sails On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I have installed the sygic maps as instructed but it doesn't show me india maps in the available list and india maps are not available for download as well. Could you help me out ?
Try this link - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 10

Procedure for installation and using crack is similar to this one here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 6
and also similar to this one here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums

MMI Maps procedure over here - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 4

Google Maps link with voice navigation for India - Offline Navigation Softwares For Android - Reliance Mobile (CDMA & GSM) - Discussion Forums - Page 10
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:03   #2064
BHPian
 
h.s.r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 196
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Planning to buy a stanalone GPS for my car.
I Have shortlisted few models:
MMI VX 140S Price quoted Rs 9600
MMI VX 240 Price quoted Rs 14000
MMI Reverse Camera (works with VX240) Rs 1800

Visited CROMA they have 2 Models of Satguide
1. Satguide Moov 560 Screen 4.3 inches Rs 4995
2. Satguide Moov 200 PND Screen size 3 Inches Rs 6495

I am confused between MMI & Satguide.
Please advise which one to buy.
h.s.r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 13:23   #2065
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
I am confused between MMI & Satguide.
Please advise which one to buy.
MMI has far better integrated maps than any other provider in India
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:46   #2066
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 629 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile

MMI has far better integrated maps than any other provider in India
Any news on MMI for android ?
Did any one try it out ? The price on the website is INR 2.8K
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:57   #2067
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Any news on MMI for android ?
Did any one try it out ? The price on the website is INR 2.8K
Refer to my links above; There is detailed MMI maps for android there (for free)
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 09:56   #2068
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 629 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Refer to my links above; There is detailed MMI maps for android there (for free)
I can't thank you enough, I thanked your post already. But still thank you so much DKAILE ji.
Very useful URLs indeed
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 09:59   #2069
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,787
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I can't thank you enough, I thanked your post already. But still thank you so much DKAILE ji.
Very useful URLs indeed
Thank You F150, it was indeed a pleasure to talk to you...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 12:31   #2070
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 25
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Google Maps for Mobile (Google Maps for mobile) for Android have a lab feature to download the map for a area for offline use.

Very useful for locations where mobile Internet availablability is poor/not available.

- Samdarshi
samdarshi.pali is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sygic Maps Vs MMI maps, what's the difference? rkbharat Gadgets, Computers & Software 38 1st July 2014 07:43
Thoughts on Dedicated Bus, Cycle, Autorickshaw lanes etc carjinx The Indian Car Scene 21 3rd July 2012 12:30
Satnav Launches GPS Navigation Software navdeep Modifications & Accessories 119 16th November 2010 15:48
MapMyIndia vs SatGuide - Best Dedicated GPS Solution lynx Route / Travel Queries 2 20th February 2009 18:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks