Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2015, 21:43   #20596

Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
My Wife's Nexus 7 tablet is still running the Android 4.2.1 which it came with. I disabled updates the day it was bought. It works fine for her.
Man that nexus needs a serious update. Let her use lollipop 5.0.2 for some days. She will forget jellybean. The animations are sweet .Nothing was ever so good .You have a nexus .That means assured updates. I used to strive for updates when i used a canvas hd . Though i used custom roms , they were buggy. You should surely update
Old 1st February 2015, 23:16   #20597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCIHD View Post
Man that nexus needs a serious update. Let her use lollipop 5.0.2 for some days. She will forget jellybean. The animations are sweet .Nothing was ever so good .You have a nexus .That means assured updates. I used to strive for updates when i used a canvas hd . Though i used custom roms , they were buggy. You should surely update
Have you used Lollipop on Nexus 7 (2012)? Mine is running Lollipop and it is only fit to be thrown into the dustbin. That too with almost all the Google bloatware (Books, Music, Newstand et al) disabled. Luckily since I have bought the OPO I rarely have to use it, except to download torrents.

It became bad right from Kitkat, so carboy did right by staying with jellybean.
Old 1st February 2015, 23:23   #20598

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Have you used Lollipop on Nexus 7 (2012)? Mine is running Lollipop and it is only fit to be thrown into the dustbin. That too with almost all the Google bloatware (Books, Music, Newstand et al) disabled. Luckily since I have bought the OPO I rarely have to use it, except to download torrents.

It became bad right from Kitkat, so carboy did right by staying with jellybean.
ok so i googled a bit and found a fix. First this problem is faced by people who installed lollipop manually. I did not say only by people who said manually.
There is a fix try this what i found
Clearing your troubled tablet’s cache will reportedly resolve the issue and it’s pretty easy to do. If you’re up for the challenge, just follow these easy steps:

Turn off your device.
Press and hold Power and volume down buttons simultaneously until you see a large arrow at the top of your screen.
Press the volume down button repeatedly until you see “Recovery” in the arrow.
Select it by pressing the power button.
You’ll see an android mascot with a red triangle and exclamation mark.
Hold down the power and press the volume up button once and then release the power button.
Press the volume down button repeatedly to select “erase or wipe the cache partition” from the list of options.
Wait for the process to complete and then restart your device.
If successful, you should notice an improvement in your tablet’s performance.
Old 1st February 2015, 23:35   #20599
BHPian

Agree partly with civic sense. My nexus 7 was too good with KitKat. But lollipop made it almost a paper weight. Hope Google releases an update soon
Old 2nd February 2015, 12:30   #20600

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Agree partly with civic sense. My nexus 7 was too good with KitKat. But lollipop made it almost a paper weight. Hope Google releases an update soon
try the fix i posted
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:00   #20601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
and the device has since been stuck with this screen.. been almost 5mins phs help!
Any update on this? It takes more than 5 minutes to delete the cache partition.
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:13   #20602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckranjan View Post
Any update on this? It takes more than 5 minutes to delete the cache partition.
Yup, it got done a few minutes after I posted the status.

Overall, I'm mostly feeling the lag in the dialler. Lollipop dialler is definitely slower than the one on Kitkat. Even FB and Whatsapp take slightly longer to launch..

In hindsight, I would have preferred to keep 4.4.4 instead of 5.0.2
Old 2nd February 2015, 15:45   #20603
Team-BHP Support

Looking to buy an Android as close to stock as possible for <15k (no patience for rooting and tweaking ROMs). Do not want anything with a UI skin (and bloatware) added on.

Does anything make better sense than the Moto G (2nd Gen)?
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:02   #20604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCIHD View Post

try the fix i posted
Thanks for the tip, but I had tried that long ago. Did not help. The issue is not that simple. Problem is that android is resource hungry. The fact that lollipop introduced a lot of useless animations has made things worse. Wonder who told google that what lacks in android are animations. Lollipop requires top notch hardware. That is why nexus 4 also has problems with lollipop.

BTW I have a puzzle which I hope somebody can solve. I have a galaxy S3 running 4.3 jellybean which is very slow and laggy despite having almost all Samsung bloatware disabled. A few days ago, my FIL got a galaxy grand prime which has a quad core snapdragon 410 and a gig of ram. Still his phone is noticeably faster and much more fluid than my S3, which has supposedly better hardware (exynos quad). I remember that when I bought it with ICS, it was blazing fast. Just one major OS upgrade and the phone becomes dead slow. Was it a deliberate ploy from Samsung to release a laggy update so that people feel it is obsolete and upgrade to S4 or S5? Else how can anybody explain the snappy grand prime?

Last edited by civic-sense : 2nd February 2015 at 16:03.
Old 2nd February 2015, 16:26   #20605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Yup, it got done a few minutes after I posted the status.

Overall, I'm mostly feeling the lag in the dialler. Lollipop dialler is definitely slower than the one on Kitkat. Even FB and Whatsapp take slightly longer to launch..

In hindsight, I would have preferred to keep 4.4.4 instead of 5.0.2
No improvement in speed? Also with Lollipop you need to have atleast a couple of GBs of free space. This is due to change from JIT to ART.
Old 2nd February 2015, 23:13   #20606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember that when I bought it with ICS, it was blazing fast. Just one major OS upgrade and the phone becomes dead slow. Was it a deliberate ploy from Samsung to release a laggy update so that people feel it is obsolete and upgrade to S4 or S5? Else how can anybody explain the snappy grand prime?
Samsung made touchwiz slightly better with time. Plus, the grand prime must be new.

My advice... Get CM on your S3. Makes the phone usable again.
Old 3rd February 2015, 07:06   #20607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Samsung made touchwiz slightly better with time. Plus, the grand prime must be new.

My advice... Get CM on your S3. Makes the phone usable again.
The camera. It is very important to me. The photos were horrible when I was on CM and also on Omnirom. I think I'd try MIUI based on official ROM. They usually clean up all the flab.
Old 3rd February 2015, 23:30   #20608
BHPian

Quote:
BTW I have a puzzle which I hope somebody can solve. I have a galaxy S3 running 4.3 jellybean which is very slow and laggy despite having almost all Samsung bloatware disabled. A few days ago, my FIL got a galaxy grand prime which has a quad core snapdragon 410 and a gig of ram. Still his phone is noticeably faster and much more fluid than my S3, which has supposedly better hardware (exynos quad). I remember that when I bought it with ICS, it was blazing fast. Just one major OS upgrade and the phone becomes dead slow. Was it a deliberate ploy from Samsung to release a laggy update so that people feel it is obsolete and upgrade to S4 or S5? Else how can anybody explain the snappy grand prime?

One reason why the grand offers decent performance is because it comes with a sort of Touchwiz 'Lite".

It makes do without many of the extra productivity apps(LOL, I mean bloat) that comes as standard on the bigger Samsungs.
Old 4th February 2015, 03:00   #20609
BHPian

Is it just me or is this whole software upgrade charade by mobile companies is a secret plot to make hardware obsolete?
Old 4th February 2015, 03:07   #20610
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure it's all part of the marketing ploy to make everybody desperate for the latest-greatest, but I don't think it is anything like, for instance, the Microsoft/PC-hardware nexus.

Most Viewed