Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 12:55   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Mahindras have a good reliable engine fitted on a proven frame, and the current option of the AT gearbox is also well mated. The XYLO is actually on the longer version of the same frame. The suspension has also considerably improved over the years with the latest vehicles having very low body roll inspite of the high CG.
What they need to do is design a better looking body with an option of 2 wheel bases, provide a better rake to the windshield, and a bigger dashboard. The longer wheel base can have a 7/8 seater with full forward seats, and the shorter a 5+2 seater with the +2 seats as foldable jump seats.
The loss of the trademark large headlamp is what hurts most, they should have retained the front of the vehicle right upto the 'A' pillar. Something else should have been done to include the projector lamps in the same headlamp housing.

Rahul
Old 20th September 2014, 13:22   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

M&M seems to have done another XUV. The front starts well, but designers lost steam & ran out of ideas for the rear.

But whatever, it will continue to sell. The Scorp is an established model and nothing will take away that from the new version.

Quote:
Thilak29 : I strongly feel this is going to look good pitch black variant.
The black variant will hide all that the guys are criticizing !! The points that people are talking about are standing out are a lot because of the contrasting color.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 13:32   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
After so much of testing and R&D and what not - this is what they could come up with? I cannot understand why facelifts are carried out only on the back and front of the car. if you notice all manufacturers - their facelifts is concentrated only on the lights and grille (with the addition of some cheesy chrome and cheap stickers). Why do they not realise that these facelifts need to match with the rest of the car. To match the edgy lights and grille- they could have atlest changed the wheel arches from a round to a squarish one.

Reminds me of the movie - Face Off - featuring Nicholas Cage and John Travolta. Imagine if they had just interchanged their faces leaving the rest of the body the same!!!

So now the new Scorpio is a mix of the following vehicles :
  • Codename W105 - derived fromthe 1950's Mercedes
  • Headlights - Derived from the Dodge Charger
  • Grille - Reminds me of the new Yeti
  • Rear - Derived from the Jeep Commander
Maybe they should have let the Scorpio covered with those tarapulin covers - looks better that way.
Tinkering with grille and lights and calling it a facelift appears to be a hangover from the Padmini and Amby days!
Old 20th September 2014, 13:38   #619
BHPian

I really LIKE the way it looks. I guess seeing it in person will make all the difference. Scorpio in Black or midnight blue with good alloys i am sure will look amazing. I just hope they have continued with the automatic variant.
Old 20th September 2014, 13:39   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Ouch! Who was in charge of modifying the rear at M&M R&D center, I wonder.

But coming to the rear? Oh boy, where to start!

Gone are the signature design cues which made the Scorpio stand out from the crowd, and the future customers will get this?!

But those who have revered the Scorpio for it's all-round looks, might stay away.
Personally, I'm quite disappointed with the way it has turned out overall. The designers have really made it too bling for my liking and although I had my chequebook ready for this, I think I'll rethink the decision. My current CRDe 4x4 looks classy in comparison! Plain and simple. Might just give her a makeover instead and hang in there till some less hideous iteration shows up.
Roshun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 13:48   #621
Senior - BHPian

A butch front fascia.

First and worthy notable update to the Scorp since inception.

The rear is grossly overdone though and did not like the black inserts.

Overall, a great facelift.
Old 20th September 2014, 13:53   #622
BHPian

What are the mechanical changes to the underpinnings ?
Anything worth noticeable?
From what i could make out with the camouflaged Scoprios running around at high speeds mum- pun E way was that it might be having a heavily reworked mechanicals ..
Old 20th September 2014, 13:55   #623
Senior - BHPian

The story of the Scorpio is The Ugly Duckling in reverse. M&M have been steadily de-beautifying the timeless design of the original Scorpio into something out of a horror movie. The graceful swan is now a full blown ugly duckling.
MaserQ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 14:11   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift - This is it
The balloon punctures finally & conclusively, a Rhino converted to the humble animal (I dare not name for the fear of inviting infraction from the mods.)

Anyways my detailed comments:

Cons:
1. Safari Storme done to the rear which looks horrible specially in white.
2. Rear Handles - Probably catering to the taxi segment in the rural areas
3. Rear Spoiler - Poorly designed, the current one is better with the integrated top light
4. Front - It takes the cake for spoiling a perfectly nice looking design
5. Panel Gaps - Looks like the bonnet is open, if it is not god help us

Pros:
1. The interiors look slightly upmarket.
2. The gear shifter is definitely much better looking and placed then the current one
3. The Projectors & DRL's are a welcome addition

Lets wait and see what all is there to look at.
m_upreti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 14:37   #625
BHPian

Sometimes the simplest of designs make quite an impact. Look at what these guys at AGM have done with the Scorpio. This, in my opinion, looks far more classy. Simple lines. Well executed. Mahindra, if you're reading this, I think it would be great to get some of your designs outsourced.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-agm-scorpio-rear.jpg  

Old 20th September 2014, 15:05   #626
BHPian

I am clueless what those rear grab handles are for tho. I dont want some peeps hitching a free ride on my car as i pass crowded spaces. My wife is already anti-scorpio.

This tailgate and its grab handle making the household decision to grab the scorpio tougher!

But on a positive note, i think the front is still okay. And the tail, may just look better in darker shades, especially black, military green and dark blue. And with some aftermarket housekeeping it is always possible to remove some of the bad parts:
- You can always do away with those weird silver inserts on the tailgate and side bumper with a paint job.
- Those tail lamps will come with a more conservative red color scheme in the after market.

Yet, i kind of dont get the vibe of this being a Gentlemans butch 4WD car. I was really hoping this would evolve into a Budget Toyota Fortuner or Landrover Discovery.

I not sure footed on this one, and at the Showroom i just may swing to XUV500

Last edited by acidkill : 20th September 2014 at 15:14.
Old 20th September 2014, 15:55   #627
BHPian

If seen independently, the front is just passable and the rear horrible.

And comparing with the outgoing one, this is definitely not something which can be called a facelift. Instead of coming up with a fresh design retaining the DNA, this is what they come up with, that too after several years (This is almost the same timeline in which Hyundai has moved from old Verna to the current one)

Before spending millions on their 'Rise' campaign, they could have hired some better designers IMO.
Old 20th September 2014, 16:22   #628
BHPian

They have just killed for what Scorpio was known for! Muscles

=> Tail gate looks hideous.
=> Integrating of Head lamps and grille is striking to my eyes
=> The body shell unaltered with such "techno" design applications has split legs East-West
Old 20th September 2014, 16:31   #629
BHPian

I don't know why but I kind of like the front!! But rear looks like an extremely cheap aftermarket mod job
Old 20th September 2014, 17:37   #630
Senior - BHPian

I don't see any improvement in the space front. From the all the pictures of interiors i've seen, the rear still remains cramped. The only saving grace could be the suspension that probably wallows far less from what i'm reading.

Looks wise, i'm not sure what everyone was expecting but it sold with what it had (or did not have) so Mahindra was probably never going to redesign the whole thing and lose the familiarity.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks