Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2014, 10:53   #601
BHPian

re: 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs

Keeping the looks aside, I dont think the height at the rear has been reduced as it appeared in the earlier scoops. Considering that this NG Scorpio comes with 17" wheels, will this make any difference to the ride and handling ?
Old 20th September 2014, 10:54   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Ouch! Who was in charge of modifying the rear at M&M R&D center, I wonder.

The front looks decent - butch looks, centre slats add to the appeal, good & wide headlamps, etc. Judging by the wheels, it seems like a lower-spec variant so the black enclosures on either side will get foglamps in the higher variants. All in all, not bad and a good-enough upgrade.

But coming to the rear? Oh boy, where to start!

Gone are the signature design cues which made the Scorpio stand out from the crowd, and the future customers will get this?!

2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-image00002.jpg

1 = That has to be THE ugliest grab-handle provided on any car in history. It is not even subtle, or merging with the design. And how many times will the Scorpio carry those two passengers in the back to merit that hideous extension? Bad, bad, bad!

2 = The rear windshield has actually shrunk!! Visibility will be more restricted than before. Instead of all that black covering all around the rear glass, they could have gone for a larger transparent glass area with minimal black surrounding all around. Points deducted.

3 = Numberplate enclosure in plasticky black?! That's a first! Why couldn't it be body-colored or even silver? Looks cheap.

4 = If that all-black stretch across the rear door is supposed to make the car look great, it has failed. Not only does it make the rear look tacky, but the black stretch and the handle look cheap! It might merge well with a black shade, but not sure about any other shades.

5 = Yikes! The Scorpio has turned disco! Orange glass I can fathom, but blue?! With a maroon outline?! And all that in a chrome enclosure? If this is what M&M designers term "funky and contemporary", then they need to get their heads examined, LED taillights or not.

6 = That rear bumper and lower step look SERIOUSLY stretched out. More so, because the bumper is thinner. Thank god for those reverse sensors because without those, it would be impossible to back into spaces and account for it. A slightly larger rear bumper, at the expense of a little space of the rear door, would have been better.

7 = Those alloys, although they are good-looking, don't gel with a Scorpio. The car demands better. It doesn't add much to the side stance, more so with the renewed "beefed-up" wheel arches.

The tower taillamps will be seriously missed. Heck, something close to the first-gen Scorpio's taillamps would have been better.

All in all, the badge and the brand will ensure decent monthly sales. But those who have revered the Scorpio for it's all-round looks, might stay away. I see this car going the Storme way - even though a very competent vehicle and a big improvement in riding comfort over the Safari, it doesn't have enough takers today and is in line for a facelift.

I am guessing we will see a Scorpio facelift next year, with a lot of patchwork done to that rear.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 10:56   #603
BHPian

I feel that whenever a successful flagship model, no matter which brand it is, goes for a new look , there is a huge amount of pressure on the brand itself. I have seen the majority will always criticize the new look as we are so used to look at the old one. I still find people who say that the first generation honda city was the best.

There isn't an iota of doubt that the old version of scorpio was stunningly good looking. But there always a need for change. As long as we don't see the car in person and moving around on the road, we will not be able to form a genuine opinion on it. Lets give it some more time guys.
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 11:05   #604
Senior - BHPian

What a horrendous looking front! This is going to be a massive missed opportunity. M&M, you'll have just shot yourselves in the foot.

Whats wrong with you'll ? Ever since the first Xylo was launched, M&M's design team seem to've gone asleep! (Except they prolly woke up once and designed the XUV.)

Judging by these scoop pics, and given the promos have a similar looking glimpse, theres NO WAY there'll be any further changes to the design.

Anyway. As a Tata Motors fan, I'd like to say Thank You Mahindra !!

Whatever gizmos you'll may have added, this may just push a LARGE section of 'Purist' buyers to the Safari Storme, there on Safari's ride quality will do the needful.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 11:33   #605
BHPian

I read through the last four pages, we have people really jumping to criticize the design even before they have seen it in flesh, guess we need to be more patient, let the official pictures roll out. Most of us were doing the same about corolla but market is responding well for the changes done by Toyota. so sit back and relax and market will tell if the product is good or bad
Old 20th September 2014, 11:33   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

5 = Yikes! The Scorpio has turned disco! Orange glass I can fathom, but blue?! With a maroon outline?! And all that in a chrome enclosure? If this is what M&M designers term "funky and contemporary", then they need to get their heads examined, LED taillights or not.

The tower taillamps will be seriously missed. Heck, something close to the first-gen Scorpio's taillamps would have been better.
This is the most unfortunate 'change' of the lot you have mentioned. Rest all can be masked with any dark body colors, but not this. Will stand out even more in the darker shades. Really Yuck!!

I was not a fan of the tower tail lamps either - but compared to this, that seems to be better option!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 11:33   #607
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me that thinks this looks a grown up Bolero than a Scorpio?
I just dont like it no matter how many times I look. Really hope it looks better in flesh - else what a let down this is going to be.

Offtopic--
Tata's have a good chance to "pitch" here. Kill the old Safari and make the Storme the standard. And pls have airbags as standard, no need to mess with the prices. They are going to be pleasantly surprised
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 11:46   #608
Senior - BHPian

Might look good in black. Looks crappy in white, especially the rear. After the Yeti, this is the second facelift that's disappointed. Maybe it'll ride better and have better interiors than the older Scorp.. would be the redeeming factors.
Old 20th September 2014, 11:46   #609
BHPian

What in the world is that?

Mahindra is going too busy with their designs.

The rear looks horrendous IMHO and the front just looks photoshopped.

I hopened the xylo facelift doesn't end up going this way. I fear it will though. :-(
Old 20th September 2014, 12:04   #610
BHPian

Is this for real, or has Mahindra just released these pictures to distract the press?

Why did I not plan to buy an SUV this year? I could've saved a lot and bought a great looking Scorpio before it went out of production!

Tata better be prepared for the Storme bookings coming their way!

Meanwhile, in a totally unrelated news, TML plans to withdraw all discount schemes running on the Safari storme, Dicor and the Sumo!!

Last edited by Sinner666 : 20th September 2014 at 12:20.
Old 20th September 2014, 12:06   #611
Senior - BHPian

peoples, don't be so dramatic. relax, life has not come to an end (install iOS8 and then your life will come to an end)

look at the bright side, when they launched the Safari Storme, most people reacted this way (i went way beyond, but that's a different matter entirely). look at it now, it has been accepted and people love it (i still don't, but that's a different matter entirely).

you'll come around, the new face-lift will grow on you.

ps: totally missed that grab handle on the D-pillar. what were they smoking when they put it there? *green grinning fella*

Last edited by IronH4WK : 20th September 2014 at 12:14.
IronH4WK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 12:10   #612
BHPian

I think I will plan to keep my 2013 Scorpio for another 10 years now. With these kind of new designs, it is sure to become a classic with Vintage Value now.
Attached Thumbnails
2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift (W105). EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 7.98 lakhs-img_2470.jpg  

Styler is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 12:11   #613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Is the inside barrel in the headlight a projector housing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
The headlights look regular ones and not projector types. Just that it is smoked.

That's what the pictures say from GTO's post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Thanks for pointing it out Anurag, even I noticed closely in other pic (posted below) other than GTO's post and it looks like a smoked normal setup. SDP sir, sorry for the wrong information did not notice properly
Projectors would be available in the top variant based on these pictures.

There are 2 sets of scoop pictures floating around - one with alloys wheels, fog lamps and projector headlamps which is most likely the top variant and the other with regular smoked headlamps, no fog lamps and steel wheels which would be the lower variant.

This is lower variant with steel wheels and no fog lamps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2014 Mahindra Scorpio Facelift - This is it

Attachment 1289609

This is higher variant with projectors, alloys and fog lamps:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
EDIT: These 3 additional pictures have been shared by Sparrkz Kamal

Attachment 1289670

Last edited by zenren : 20th September 2014 at 12:15.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2014, 12:19   #614
BHPian

I will reserve my comments on looks until I see it in flesh. However, I strongly feel this is going to look good pitch black variant.
Old 20th September 2014, 12:40   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Do we have an pick in Black. Something tells me that this shape will look far better in Black especially the front 3 quarter view.

Rahul
Yes the black will look good . still can't predict as the SUV in scoop pics is not a top model . hope they don't do anything extra on the top model like dual painting and all .

But the new Scorpio is getting a royal whipping on its back on forums and auto web world .

Also hate words will suddenly change in praise if Mahindra prices it well , i think they will since the design is not being appreciated by majority of the population . they might use the price card to entice the buyer.

Overall very good opportunity for TATA motors now to bring a refreshed version of the Storme with better interiors and features with better pricing .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks