Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2015, 17:11   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
The large gap between front bumper and engine on the inside is also a bit unnerving. Easy for cats and small dogs to climb into if you live in a residential area with strays. Thought to consider, perhaps?
I dont want to comment on the safety part but this is a good thing. At least it will save the engine bay components in case of a minor shunt. Some cars have a jam packed place between bumper and engine. Even in minor incidents it will neatly puncture the radiator, AC condensor leading to a lot of expenses.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 18:28   #1502
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hershlulla View Post
The large gap between front bumper and engine on the inside is also a bit unnerving.
The gap is inevitable as to fit the 1.0L boosterjet engine keeping the Chassis same.

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd November 2015 at 18:43.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:39   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The gap is inevitable as to fit the 1.0L boosterjet engine keeping the Chassis same.
By this, I suppose you mean BoosterJet has large paraphernalia (like the DI unit turbocharger etc) compared to the NA engine right?
And the Diesel which already has all the extras already fits into the same bay, and that could be the other reason. Logically speaking BoosterJet should be more compact (which is 1.0L engine) than the 1.3 DDiS correct, is my assumption reasonable?
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 19:55   #1504
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXXX View Post
By this, I suppose you mean BoosterJet has large paraphernalia (like the DI unit turbocharger etc) compared to the NA engine right?
Here is the Boosterjet in the Baleno, also good to note that SHVS too will be a variant in this.

Next-gen Suzuki Baleno (YRA) unveiled. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.99 lakhs-capture.jpg

Pic source - alvolante
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:20   #1505
BHPian

I regret to say this but -

I was already in a dilemma regarding the safety aspect of the car after reading many discussions and arguments on this thread. Now, I'm totally shattered after seeing that crash pic of Baleno, and I was in 2nd thoughts as I had booked a white diesel Alpha variant. Unfortunately, my parents also happened to see the same and just now we had a long, heated discussion on buying an alternative one (read - i20 elite).

Obviously, after seeing how it crumbled like a tin can, they are not ready to bring the car home, and ordered me to rather go with the i20 elite.

Of course, I would agree to the point that we can't come to a conclusion about the structural strength of Baleno unless we know what speeds they were driving and what are the other factors which included in that fatal crash. I'm also not saying that i20 would fare better in such an accident, but that pic is raising serious concerns about the structural rigidity of Baleno in my mind. As some one above rightly mentioned, all these airbags and ABS things can't protect us if the structure of the car itself is compromised.

Somehow, I'm getting a feeling that i20 may be a far safer car than Baleno, given the both cars face a same situation.

This is just my opinion. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by madhav14 : 22nd November 2015 at 21:23.
madhav14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:30   #1506
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Somehow, I'm getting a feeling that i20 may be a far safer car than Baleno, given the both cars face a same situation.
Never buy a car with the mindset of it being unsafe. Suggest you buy the Elite.

No one can answer your question on which car would be safer unless both are crash tested, all the rest will be mere speculations.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 21:59   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
http://www.rushlane.com/maruti-suzuk...-12174220.html

Looks like it is really poor structurally. Maruti was never one to build structurally solid cars, flimsiness being their characteristic but this one seems to have hit a new low. A real unfortunate incident for a family out on a trip with the new car.
I'm not trying to say anything here, but having read that article, I see something strange, 6 people in a 5 seater car. That is overloading there and none of them appear to be small kids. I doubt whether they were belted up.
The structure looks bad but we don't know what variables were involved.
There was a relatively recent accident in TN of a Range Rover with a truck, unfortunately the driver of the Range Rover died on the spot. The structure in that was quite bad with the A pillar having collapsed completely. Would anyone say that the Range Rover is a death trap?.

Lets wait for the NCAP results and hope that for once Maruti actually sell the same car here as they export.
nmenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:23   #1508
BHPian

Quote:
I regret to say this but -

I was already in a dilemma regarding the safety aspect of the car after reading many discussions and arguments on this thread. Now, I'm totally shattered after seeing that crash pic of Baleno, and I was in 2nd thoughts as I had booked a white diesel Alpha variant. Unfortunately, my parents also happened to see the same and just now we had a long, heated discussion on buying an alternative one (read - i20 elite).

Obviously, after seeing how it crumbled like a tin can, they are not ready to bring the car home, and ordered me to rather go with the i20 elite.

Of course, I would agree to the point that we can't come to a conclusion about the structural strength of Baleno unless we know what speeds they were driving and what are the other factors which included in that fatal crash. I'm also not saying that i20 would fare better in such an accident, but that pic is raising serious concerns about the structural rigidity of Baleno in my mind. As some one above rightly mentioned, all these airbags and ABS things can't protect us if the structure of the car itself is compromised.

I agree with user volkman here.
But I suggest you go through this thread first.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3852238

It is very easy to trick a human mind.
But reality is most of the cars can't stand a truck, that too a loaded one at speeds. I am not suggesting anything here. As I have mentioned safety is a mental thing. Everything is unsafe if you ask me.
WRXXX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:32   #1509
Team-BHP Support

I drove an automatic Baleno today checking it as a possible replacement for our City A/T.

Found it fairly underwhelming. In comparison the Diesel manual Baleno was quite a gem. Nice peppy feel with an amazingly slick gearshift.
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:36   #1510
BANNED

Quote:

Haha. I have one of the two worst cars that are on offer in my garage when it comes to safety (read structural) where both the Swift and Alto K10 are mere tin cans.

Go through the hundreds of pages of pictures pertaining Accidents in India. What you'll say for that? What would you do if you see a similar looking Elite i20? Where will you go next?

I am not commenting which is safer but if your going to change decisions based on that accident then I'll say wait for the NCAP results of both the cars then decide.

We have no real time data like the speed of the truck, impact zone, whether car was stationary or moving etc to come to any conclusion.

I'd be in your place, would have got the Baleno eyes closed! This is just my opinion, rest is your wish.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd November 2015 at 22:43.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 22:51   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

I would never go for a car once I have got myself into double mind, if my mind is not clear I will just postpone the decision. Don't let the gadgetry fool you, and also a cheaper price, there is nothing in this world which is "sasta and tikao".

If it is sasta, the Tikao part is a huge question mark. And I put the onus on manufacturer to justify the Tikao part.

Last edited by AtheK : 22nd November 2015 at 22:56.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:10   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Haha. I have one of the two worst cars that are on offer in my garage when it comes to safety (read structural) where both the Swift and Alto K10 are mere tin cans.

Go through the hundreds of pages of pictures pertaining Accidents in India. What you'll say for that? What would you do if you see a similar looking Elite i20? Where will you go next?

I am not commenting which is safer but if your going to change decisions based on that accident then I'll say wait for the NCAP results of both the cars then decide.

We have no real time data like the speed of the truck, impact zone, whether car was stationary or moving etc to come to any conclusion.

I'd be in your place, would have got the Baleno eyes closed! This is just my opinion, rest is your wish.
I think certainly a decision can be taken based on the most recent historic performance of the company w.r.t safety. MSIL have always had an antipathy to safety and their attitude to safety as well has been quite poor.

1. Their previous "premium" car SWIFT had very poor brakes when it was introduced and multiple people had to complain and escalate the issue before MSIL could fix it. Imagine MSIL selling 1000's of Swifts every month with poor brakes. How could they compromise on braking, an integral safety component?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ake-issue.html

2. Again their previous "premium" car SWIFT fared extremely poorly in NCAP test

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tests-too.html

3. Their attitude to safety itself was poor. Their chairman Mr.Bhargava made some very poor comments on safety. It seems safety comes last for him.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tatements.html

4. Their Alto again performed poorly in NCAP

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...fety-test.html

Datsun Go performed poorly but Datsun endeavoured to take corrective steps and improve safety, particularly w.r.t structural integrity

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rbags-abs.html

Did MSIL even acknowledge the problems and endeavour to take some corrective steps?

So, looking at MSIL poor performance and attitude w.r.t safety how confident are people that Baleno is a safe car?

Last edited by searacer932 : 22nd November 2015 at 23:16.
searacer932 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:20   #1513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
So, looking at MSIL poor performance and attitude w.r.t safety how confident are people that Baleno is a safe car?
IMO Maruti Suzuki may not reach to this and take corrective actions to make the cars after to the government enacts some rules and goes strict. The Chalta Hai attitude so dominate to then.

R C Bhargava or be it anyone after him would comment the same way until all the heads in Maruti decided to get a sea of change in the cars they sell by making it more safe (read structural integrity).

Of all the cars sold, Baleno is just another one in their portfolio. Since the Baleno will be exported, there will be NCAP crash results soon. That should decide date of Maruti and the Baleno.

For the export market, hope Maruti doesn't do any kind of structural changes to make it safer and show us Indians step-mother treatment.
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:34   #1514
BHPian

Quote:

More than the i20 I think you should consider the Jazz. Jazz has got a 5 Star rating in Latin NCAP and the difference in weight in both those cars is also insignificant. The city (similar to jazz) also received very high rating (in Malaysian NCAP if I remember correctly). It's not the body panel or perceived solidity or feeling of better built that makes car safer. Things like crumple zones and chassis and structural integrity matters more. I know I will be bashed for this as without specific Indian NCAP rating most of what we are discussing is just extrapolation and assumptions. Every accident is unique and to see how cars perform in similar accidents is what NCAP does. There is a picture of a toppled jazz in the accident thread. The car seems to have held well and the occupant was rescued safely.

Dont think much about these and go for the car you like. Just remember to keep all occupants buckled up and drive safe.
ToyotaFan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 05:52   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Every accident is unique and to see how cars perform in similar accidents is what NCAP does.
This is true, but NCAP does crashes in conditions which are controlled. It is just an indicative relative safety.
Advantage of Jazz however is, it has been in the international market for very long before it was launched here. But that doesn't tell anything about how the Indian one is built. And forget about how the belly up Jazz performed to make a decision on how safe that is, unless we know the accident details.
There has to be Indian NCAP simulating loaded trucks plough into cars, T-boning, cars falling off the bridge, cars hitting parked trucks and slide under trucks. And volvos run of the ditch test which is common here. And head on collision at 80kmph (relative speeds at 160+) Wonder if any of these tests completely cover the Indian situations ever.

People who want peace of mind should wait for G-NCAP if it ever happens. Otherwise as other members already noted we are doing guess work on structural capabilities of Baleno. Above all like user Volkman rightly stated never buy the car with a doubt in mind. And I am sure both Indian Jazz and i20 might not fare well in G-NCAP due to lack of safety gear
In the entry level models, because that's what will be used for assessment, but you might get to know about the structural aspects.
WRXXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed