Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2021, 10:43   #166
BHPian

Re: License Renewal

Experience at Wadala RTO (MH-03)

Services : License renewal & address change

Dad's license expired on 27th May. We used to reside in Navi Mumbai and the previous renewal was thus done at Vashi RTO (MH-43). Since we recently moved across the bridge, the renewal would also include an address change. After some initial difficulty navigating the Parivahan Sarathi website and a couple of failed attempts, I managed to fill up the application by 11:15 AM on 10th June in one go with some inputs from BHPian abhaybakshi and even found an appointment slot for 12:30 PM same day at the Wadala RTO, which is nearby.

Uploaded and carried the following items :
  1. Application Acknowledgement Form
  2. Payment Receipt (Rs. 666/- to the devil. JK, for two services, smart card, postal charges and taxes)
  3. Form 1 (Self Declaration)
  4. Form 1-A, required since he's 55. This was signed off on by the office doctor (Relevant later)
  5. Old DL + 1 copy
  6. Aadhar Card + 1 copy
  7. 3 passport sized photographs

Reached the RTO at 12:20 PM. Finding it was slightly tricky since it's also a truck terminal. Multiple touts approached us but we avoided. Dad recounts his experience :
  1. He approached someone at a desk on the ground floor (Not sure if tout or RTO) who asks him to go to the 3rd Floor for renewal. Goes to the 3rd Floor and is asked to go to another counter. They send him to the 2nd Floor which is empty and undergoing renovation. Realises he has been fooled and goes back to 3rd Floor and finally gets the procedure started.
  2. They ask him to get his documents 'verified' by the Dy. RTO Officer. He sits in another location within the premise. Signs without issue but writes, 'To be verified'. We see what you did there, 3rd Floor.
  3. 3rd Floor asks him to staple documents and bring it back. They say they don't have a stapler (Nobody on the floor does apparently). Dad finds an agent on the ground floor who hands him one.
  4. 3rd Floor says he needs to submit a copy of degree certificate/medical license of the office doctor or get another Form 1-A signed by doctor on the ground floor. Gets it from the doctor for Rs 100. Kind doctor suggests getting it uploaded onto portal before heading back to the 3rd Floor. Done by person he suggested without issue.
  5. 3rd Floor finally accepts documents. No acknowledgement receipt but received an SMS to confirm it.

As you can probably tell, they were making dad pay for not bribing them. Lucky for us, the RTO was almost empty and there were no queues. In fact, no slots between 10:30 AM - 01:00 PM were booked. Got done in 40 minutes, not too bad considering we were prepared for much worse. Other positives include dad getting a good workout and walking 7,000 out of his daily 10,000 steps.

Overall, I would say it's very much doable and should be done to put those lousy touts out of business. Just make sure you :
  1. Start at the 3rd Floor and nowhere else
  2. Use the services of the doctor seated near the RTO and don't bother with your own. Don't forget to upload!
  3. Wear your most comfy pair of shoes
  4. Carry your own stapler. This is probably most important.

At this point, the 'Scrutiny' stage has been completed and the 'Approval of Endorsements on DL' is in process. Not sure how long it'll take but I hope I haven't spoken too soon.

Last edited by saur95 : 11th June 2021 at 10:45. Reason: Wrong dates
saur95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 08:05   #167
BHPian

I need suggestions on how to proceed with my DL renewal from the members.

My two wheeler DL is up for renewal by this month end. It was issued in Jayanagar RTO 20 years back. Later the driving school got me the car DL from Yeshwantpur RTO. Never knew then that two separate DLs was not right. The driving school also never bothered to ask me if I had a license.

Last year I renewed my car DL from Yeshwantpur RTO. Now when I approached the agent of driving school for 2 wheeler DL renewal, she gave me two options:

1. First get the old DL ported from Jayanagar RTO as it is in old format. Then apply for renewal. Then it would be added to the car DL.

2. But immediately she also mentioned, it might not be possible as the RTO may ask why there are two licenses. Instead apply for LL/DL and get a new DL for 2 wheeler and add to the car DL. She also mentioned that she will check if it still possible to renew and issue single license.
  • Which of the above is appropriate?
  • My car DL is valid till 2031. Will the 2 wheeler DL also have the same validity?
Old 6th July 2021, 09:14   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Instead apply for LL/DL and get a new DL for 2 wheeler and add to the car DL. She also mentioned that she will check if it still possible to renew and issue single license.
  • Which of the above is appropriate?
  • My car DL is valid till 2031. Will the 2 wheeler DL also have the same validity?
It would be logical and legal to apply for 2 Wheeler Learner Licence. Holding a valid Licence of another (upper) category, you can go for driving test in 15 days (please check latest rules on this) and 2 Wheeler will be endorsed on your current Car Licence. No questions would arise of you holding 2 Licence

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 6th July 2021 at 09:19.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:14   #169
BANNED

I am not sure if holding two DLs - for different category and class of vehicles is illegal. It is common sense that one should not keep two DLs for the same type of vehicle though. When I got my car DL from BLR I already had a two-wheeler DL from MH.
Old 6th July 2021, 19:09   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I am not sure if holding two DLs - for different category and class of vehicles is illegal. It is common sense that one should not keep two DLs for the same type of vehicle though. When I got my car DL from BLR I already had a two-wheeler DL from MH.
Yes it is not legal two have two DLs - one for 2 wheeler and one for car. This I realized 15 years after I got my DLs. Partly to blame it on driving school people who did not mention this long back when I got my DLs done.
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:10   #171
BHPian

Experience at Mumbai Central - Tardeo RTO (MH-01)

Services : License renewal

My license expired on 5th July and hence had 30 days to submit the documents for renewal. We need to login the Parivahan Sarathi website and not the one of the Maharashtra which comes up in the first few links on google. It leads to a dead end. For this RTO there are no slots per se just go as per convenience.

Uploaded and carried the following items :
Application Acknowledgement Form
Payment Receipt
Form 1 (Self Declaration)
Form 9
Old DL

Reached the RTO at 12:05 PM. Drove down and they have ample parking space so no hassles. Had no clue where to go but after asking a few agents went to the right window. This is H-4 for license renewal. Gave the documents and was back in car. The entire process was less than 5 minutes. 4 minutes 30 seconds for finding the window and 30 seconds for submitting documents. Instantaneously got the SMS post submission. Was told to show the same to Traffic Cops if asked for license.

This is an extremely efficient process. No using agents or anyone. Kudos to the digital movement and efforts of Mr. Nitin Gadkari our Minister for implementing the same. A few agents did approach me but post politely informing them that I am not interested in their services they left me alone.
Old 23rd July 2021, 13:00   #172
One
BHPian

[quote=saur95;5079581]Experience at Wadala RTO (MH-03)

As you can probably tell, they were making dad pay for not bribing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakhanna View Post
Experience at Mumbai Central - Tardeo RTO (MH-01)

The entire process was less than 5 minutes. 4 minutes 30 seconds for finding the window and 30 seconds for submitting documents.
Two different RTOs , two different experiences. Hopefully the latter becomes the norm. I remember years back going to the Wadala RTO and the musical chairs they played pretty much ensured entire day went to waste. There was this Official that period trying to get rid of touts and the entire RTO folks were kind of running a parallel operation to ensure their boss's initiative would fail.
One is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 16:41   #173
BHPian

Online Licence Renewal has proved to be beneficial to me. Though my Delhi D/L was valid till October, I decided to get it renewed earlier as I shall be flying out as soon as travel restrictions are eased.
The only hassle was getting Medical Certificate which I was able to get from a Doctor at RTO as soon as Lockdown was relaxed. Uploaded all documents and paid fees - all Online. Got message of Approval and waited for receiving it by Speedpost. In the meantime, I tried to apply for International Driving Permit, but was not able to apply as something was queer.
However, as soon as D/L was issued and posted, I was able ro apply for IDP. The same Medical Certificate was uploaded again and accepted. Imagine, when submitting documents physically, the Medical Certificate once submitted would have been unreachable and I would have had to get another one by paying again. IDP was issued and delivered by Speedpost too.
Amrik Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 20:46   #174
BANNED

Is it correct that DL and RTO papers validity is now extended to Sept 30? I am going out of town tomorrow AM and just want to be sure ...
Old 25th July 2021, 20:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Is it correct that DL and RTO papers validity is now extended to Sept 30? I am going out of town tomorrow AM and just want to be sure ...
That is correct. This is the tweet from the official handle and the document that you can download and keep with you.

https://twitter.com/MORTHIndia/statu...06156986585091
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2021, 15:14   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
That is correct. This is the tweet from the official handle and the document that you can download and keep with you.

https://twitter.com/MORTHIndia/statu...06156986585091
Is PU Certificate also included in this? I'm on my way to CKM and there is a place where cops are always checking. My PU is expired.
Old 26th July 2021, 16:33   #177
BHPian

I am thankful I stumbled across this thread. Upon seeing this thread appear in recent posts, I thought to check my drivers license and to my not so pleasant surprise it expired in the first week of July last year. 20 years flew by quite fast! And I have been driving for miles all this while, doing inter and intra state drives over the year, even got stopped by a cop at K R Puram for a routine check few months back and he did not figure the expired license.

Here are my queries
  • The Parivahan website tells me I need to do a Driving Test since the expiry date is over a year. I did read an article that the expiry date has been extended till this year end though.
  • I do not live at the address on the license. So I would need to apply for an address change first, correct?
  • Though my license was modified last at K R Puram RTO in 2016, can I instead visit the Kasturinagar RTO since I live 1km away from it?
  • Another thought I am having is to approach a driving school in my area and enlist the job to them, good idea?
TIA
Old 27th July 2021, 10:30   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo View Post
Another thought I am having is to approach a driving school in my area and enlist the job to them, good idea?
That be the best option giving the ongoing pandemic.

Even I used services of a driving school to renew driving license since I didn't want to do multiple visit to RTO to understand the process, run around for paperwork and follow up for delay due to back log.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 12:27   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
That be the best option giving the ongoing pandemic.

Even I used services of a driving school to renew driving license since I didn't want to do multiple visit to RTO to understand the process, run around for paperwork and follow up for delay due to back log.
Thanks for the response. I'm also not in the mood for running pillar to post in this pandemic. I rather liaise with a single person who is from the driving school and leave all the headache to him. I don't mind shelling out extra money and keep some piece of mind. I had a great experience with a driving school guy near the k r puram RTO in 2016.
Old 27th July 2021, 12:34   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstonlobo;5110601[*
I do not live at the address on the license. So I would need to apply for an address change first, correct?
By any chance is there any change in the RTO jurisdiction? If yes, please factor the hassle of getting an NOC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks