Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 16:24   #1171
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 3 Yea

Although the idea to take the issue to social networking sites sounds good, harishv - please check with your lawyer that Skoda will not be able to use it against you in the court in any form. Or maybe the lawyers on T-BHP can help. What I'm thinking of is if Skoda could present it in court as an attempt to influence the judiciary/judge.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:32   #1172
BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 3 Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
harish - what has in these three years that you've been waiting for justice, what has become of your car and whose possession is it in?
It is at JMD Auto. I have no clue about its state. Must be rotting I guess.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:54   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Although the idea to take the issue to social networking sites sounds good, harishv - please check with your lawyer that Skoda will not be able to use it against you in the court in any form. Or maybe the lawyers on T-BHP can help. What I'm thinking of is if Skoda could present it in court as an attempt to influence the judiciary/judge.
What we have seen recently in our country is trial by media and social media, 2G is the biggest example. If Raja and his gang can not crib about media and social media, Skoda should not be.

My sympathies with Harish and all the best to him to face the dinosaur called Indian judicial system.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:58   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
What we have seen recently in our country is trial by media and social media, 2G is the biggest example. If Raja and his gang can not crib about media and social media, Skoda should not be.
In Raja's case, it's the State which has a case against him and obviously the State has not gone to the media to campaign against Raja. It's the media itself which has started the "trial by media".

But in Harish's case, he is obviously a party to the dispute and him going to the media while the matter is still before the court may be a different issue altogether.

Better examples may be the Jessica Lall case or the Ruchika Girhotra case where Jessica's and Ruchika's family/friends went to the media - but even in those cases, I think they went to the media _after_ the court gave its (initial) verdict.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:17   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

So what if in this case Tbhp starts the campaign? That way Harish has no direct role in it right?

But I seriously doubt anything good will come out of this. Rather suing the consumer court itself may turn out to be unique enough for the media to feature it.

Candle light campaigns anyone?
Old 26th July 2011, 15:20   #1176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So what if in this case Tbhp starts the campaign? That way Harish has no direct role in it right?
Campaign for what? Has any injustice been meted out to Harish by the courts?

Yes, we all agree that "justice delayed is justice denied", but there are 1000s of cases in our courts where proceedings are delayed.

If the court gives a verdict against Harish or lets off Skoda with some minor penalty, we can by all means comment/campaign in social media and the like. But, as long as the matter is in the court, starting a campaign for Harish/against Skoda may not be seen favourably by the court.

But hey, I'm not a lawyer. I don't even interact with any lawyers. So, it would be best if some of the lawyers here can comment on this.

I think our legal system has lot of loopholes and it would be sad if Skoda can use a technicality to get off easily. Something we start with the intention of helping Harish should not jeopardise his case in the court.
Old 26th July 2011, 15:35   #1177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yes, we all agree that "justice delayed is justice denied", but there are 1000s of cases in our courts where proceedings are delayed.

If the court gives a verdict against Harish or lets off Skoda with some minor penalty, we can by all means comment/campaign in social media and the like. But, as long as the matter is in the court, starting a campaign for Harish/against Skoda may not be seen favourably by the court.

But hey, I'm not a lawyer. I don't even interact with any lawyers. So, it would be best if some of the lawyers here can comment on this.

I think our legal system has lot of loopholes and it would be sad if Skoda can use a technicality to get off easily. Something we start with the intention of helping Harish should not jeopardise his case in the court.

the campaign may not necessarily be against the courts. It can be against Skoda for example.

Last month somebody asked me for advice, he was looking to buy a Skoda Fabia - I sent him all the links from TBHP, especially this thread.

The guy has since dissuaded two of his friends from buying Skoda - and this is in Hyderabad where Skodas are very popular.

A campaign that educates all prospective buyers about how Skoda (I don't distinguish the company from its sales channel - aka the dealers) screws its customers will not only be perfectly legal, it'll hit them where it hurts most.
Old 26th July 2011, 16:38   #1178
Distinguished - BHPian

The campaign is on, and has been for some time. Back at the beginning of the thread you'll find that Harish did get publicity from the media. At this point, there is probably not much news value for them in repeating it, but T-BHP continues to watch, support, and campaign in a way that is very effective at reaching Skoda's market. Skoda know that all too well, but continue not to care.
Old 26th July 2011, 19:23   #1179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

But, as long as the matter is in the court, starting a campaign for Harish/against Skoda may not be seen favourably by the court.
Although what you are saying is absolutely correct legally but just take a look around you sir. Every case today where the media has intervened has resulted in a swift action by the court. You think Harish will get a landmark magical judgement in the next hearing? No he will just get another date. And will continue getting one unless either he is too old to fight or just loses the will power. Indian legal system only understands either political / financial power or the social media pressure. If not for these campaigns Manu sharma would be still a free man killing some more people. Sorry for being .
Old 26th July 2011, 21:52   #1180
BHPian

Quote:

I think our legal system has lot of loopholes and it would be sad if Skoda can use a technicality to get off easily.
Well, Skoda is definitely using the loopholes in our judiciary to delay the case. Just by reading through harish's case, anyone can understand how well Skoda has exploited the loopholes-3 years on and still Skoda is giving excuses.

Please understand it is not only harish's case, tomorrow it can be you, any other member from this forum or any other citizen of our country. All these companies are taking our fellow citizens for a ride, knowing well they can get away with it. Let them try these stunts in Europe or the U.S and see them running pillar to post.

We need some drastic change in our consumer laws, need to garner support to make sure the government hears the plight of the citizens of India(not that they are not aware of it). I have mentioned this before, and re-iterate, to start a movement through this forum, to bring about the much needed change in our age old consumer laws.

Guys, let us take this up seriously. There is no point in discussing these things over and over again on this forum, lets take some concrete action. Let us discuss how the change is to be brought about, lawyers on this forum can definitely help with the legalities, let us start by compiling a list of incidents members have faced with various companies, repetitively. We can then decide how the existing consumer laws are of absolutely no use.
Old 29th July 2011, 11:48   #1181
BHPian

It's been long that I have been following thread and I thought all was settled by now. It's a shame that this is going on running for such a long time. And yes, it's true, today it's Harish and tomorrow it can be me. That's one reason why although Suzuki does not excel in build quality, it sure does know how to keep customers happy and I realize that is what matters at the end of the day.

That said, this goes as my bookmark to be checked for any help that I can provide. Who knows, I might ask for the same help from the forum tomorrow

FYI, taking this lightly has definitely cost Skoda few extra cars rolling out of their showrooms. At least few that I myself am aware of.

Good Luck Harish. And hats off to your patience with these guys.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:45   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Just trying to understand why Skoda are hell bent on blocking this case and spending so much money in legal fees instead of giving harish a new car.
Thinking aloud, but is it because:
- they have a prepaid legal team that dont have anything else to do?
- they have sold off harish's car to some other unsuspecting customer?
- they are getting publicity out of the case? Kind of like a fire that they think they can handle and manage.
- their dealer is paying the legal fees
- they have a personal grouse against harish because they didnt like his tshirt or cap? (no offence meant to harish, just an example)

This is so stupid; they would have been better off finishing off the case before it reached such proportions. I wonder if there is a strategic team at Skoda at all, and if there is such a team why is it not influenced upon by the sales/ marketing guys to end this case with a timely agreement?

I wish you well harish. let us know if/ when/ what you need us to do
Old 29th July 2011, 17:54   #1183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Just trying to understand why Skoda are hell bent on blocking this case and spending so much money in legal fees instead of giving harish a new car.
Thinking aloud, but is it because:
- they have a prepaid legal team that dont have anything else to do?
- they have sold off harish's car to some other unsuspecting customer?
- they are getting publicity out of the case? Kind of like a fire that they think they can handle and manage.
- their dealer is paying the legal fees
- they have a personal grouse against harish because they didnt like his tshirt or cap? (no offence meant to harish, just an example)

This is so stupid; they would have been better off finishing off the case before it reached such proportions. I wonder if there is a strategic team at Skoda at all, and if there is such a team why is it not influenced upon by the sales/ marketing guys to end this case with a timely agreement?

I wish you well harish. let us know if/ when/ what you need us to do
Unfortunately, it's too little too late for all this. Harish will not want to see a Skoda in his drive-way after this.

Plus, the dealer/Skoda's pride would be hurt if they give him a new car. They'd rather wait it out and drag things along, it wouldn't pinch them much. What would pinch them is if their plea against the demand-for-compensation falls through. Either way, I don't see Skoda wriggling out of this easily.

Harish, you will get justice. Eventually. Skoda will be in trouble. Problem is, you wouldn't care anymore. Hope it doesn't reach that stage.
Old 30th July 2011, 09:07   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Unfortunately, it's too little too late for all this. Harish will not want to see a Skoda in his drive-way after this.

Plus, the dealer/Skoda's pride would be hurt if they give him a new car. They'd rather wait it out and drag things along, it wouldn't pinch them much. What would pinch them is if their plea against the demand-for-compensation falls through. Either way, I don't see Skoda wriggling out of this easily.

Harish, you will get justice. Eventually. Skoda will be in trouble. Problem is, you wouldn't care anymore. Hope it doesn't reach that stage.
@suhaas; I agree with you about the part for Harish
What I do not understand is why would Skoda not consider the implications of such behaviour before embarking on a foolish mission. They definitely underestimated Harish for sure!
Old 30th July 2011, 19:39   #1185
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I belive the court verdit has to be waited for. If the verdict is not satisfactory, then the grieved party (In this case Harish - incase he does not wish to go to a higher court) can take it to the media.

This car would be rotting with a dealer and would not be sold off or even touched as it would be evidence till the final verdict is given.

The problem is that there is no way of knowing how long it will take to get a verdict and the guys who choose this path for Skoda India may be all long gone from the company before a verdict against them comes (if it does) and someone else would be in management then or for that matter even now and the present or future persons may not have chosen this path but will have to go with the previous responsible persons irresponsible decision.

Dont think TBHP by itself can be involved in any way in this fight except providing a place for harish to share his views and for like minded persons to join him... Just my personal belief on what could actually be feasble in terms of support...

Last edited by ACM : 30th July 2011 at 19:43.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks