Old 19th November 2022, 13:42   #15346
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

I was looking at used cars in Delhi NCR. My filters are as follows:

1. Year: 2017 and above
2. Fuel: Petrol
3. Transmission: Automatic
4. Make: Maruti + Hyundai

The used car prices in on Cars24 and Spinny are obnoxiously high!

A 2017 model Maruti Celerio ZXi AMT (12000 kms on odo) is retailing for Rs.4,60,000. I checked the price of a new 2017 model Celerio ZXi AMT on Carwale and almost fell off the chair. The last recorded OTR price for this model (now discontinued) was Rs.5,50,000.

Seems these online portals are making a fat profit. The pricing simply does not make any sense. On top of it, there is a 'fixed price' policy.

I knew that used cars prices have increased - but was not prepared to see such eye popping pricing. There is hardly a 15% depreciation hit over 7 yrs for a sparingly used 2017 Maruti model.

This is some crazy pricing. Here is a small sample of car prices on Cars24 and Spinny.
Attached Images

Last edited by kushagra452 : 19th November 2022 at 14:03.
kushagra452 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 09:18   #15347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post

A 2017 model Maruti Celerio ZXi AMT (12000 kms on odo) is retailing for Rs.4,60,000. I checked the price of a new 2017 model Celerio ZXi AMT on Carwale and almost fell off the chair. The last recorded OTR price for this model (now discontinued) was Rs.5,50,000.

Seems these online portals are making a fat profit. The pricing simply does not make any sense. On top of it, there is a 'fixed price' policy.

I knew that used cars prices have increased - but was not prepared to see such eye popping pricing. There is hardly a 15% depreciation hit over 7 yrs for a sparingly used 2017 Maruti model.

This is some crazy pricing. Here is a small sample of car prices on Cars24 and Spinny.
I have the same dilemma and have been searching for an automatic used car but laugh at the asking price looking at the prices you mentioned. I have been unable to find a direct seller and all the portals are full of dealers with ridiculous prices. I questioned one and he started comparing pricing with new models.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2022, 15:50   #15348
BHPian

Quote:

Exactly in your shoes, but in a different City. Agree with all your points. Have been looking for the past 4 months, with no success. There are hardly any direct sellers on any platform. Reasons could be varied. Couple of them are as follows:-

Exchange policy - Buyers exited in getting a New Car, want to dispose off their old car with the one who settles fast.

Cash - Possible that the Online portals are buying in Cash and looking for Customers buying in all cash. New cars can't be purchased in Cash (2 lakhs limit).

And if you want to sell your car, they'll extract at least 50-60% depreciation on a 7 year old car.
jaaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 19:25   #15349
BHPian

Guys i am looking to buy a used Glanza V CVT for the wife/mom. A question about warranty. Is the standard warranty (3yr/1lac km) transferable? I know Skoda clearly says the same on their website but i have unable to find any info for Toyota.
AnandB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 19:53   #15350
BHPian

Warranty, Guarantee etc are provided/offered for products and not to individuals. Even if it expressly says not transferable, that clause is void
tikku.dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 20:09   #15351
BHPian

Quote:

A bit late to the party. In Bengaluru prices for used cars were starting to creep up even before COVID (1st gen Ecosport still gets listed for near to 6L here; it's like car depreciation took a break during COVID). It took me almost 1 year of searching for an automatic at a reasonable price to figure out that it was pointless and bite the bullet on an overpriced car.

If you are looking for a car that retails new below Rs.15L, my amateur opinion is that you are better off getting a new car (at least in Bengaluru). For other cities, I say below10L it makes more sense to me at least to get a new car feel and bare the depreciation hit rather than put up with these insane prices.

P.S A friend's friend sold his car (a Maruti Dzire) to Spinny for 6.5L and it was listed with them the next week for 7.2L. I am not sure if that is an insane profit margin. But I do realize that it's an amazing time to sell your car.

Last edited by JithinR : 28th November 2022 at 20:12.
JithinR is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 21:24   #15352
BHPian

Quote:

Just around 6months back i was looking for a used Honda City at Spinny. I came across a decently looking 2020 4th Gen Honda City with minimal abuse and around 20000 ODO meter. Later I checked at nearby Honda showroom and they were selling both 4th generation and 5th generation Honda City. They were also offering decent discounts on both the models. I came back and compared pricing with the one available on Spinny and to my surprise the price of used 2year old 4th gen model was almost the same as new 4th generation available with the dealer after discounts.
While I was checking both the prices a got a call from spinny out of nowhere and the operator wanted to know if I am interested to buy the honda city i am checking online. Without asking he started explaining various benefits of buying from spinny. I immediately interrupted him, and asked him why at spinny a used 2 year old Honda City is priced similar to the new one available with the dealer. At first he refused to believe me and quoted "On road prices of 5th generation Honda City" I stopped him and asked him why is he comparing prices of an older generation Honda City with the latest generation Honda City and that too "On Road prices". He kept arguing with me justifying the spinny price and how I am getting huge benefits of buying a used car from spinny. He was suggesting that spinny is giving us "Almost new" cars after retrofitting them with genuine spares, they are giving 3 months warranty and blah blah. I stopped him again . Sir are you suggesting me that I am getting "Huge benefits" of buying a 2year old used car from spinny at the same price of what I can get a new car from the dealer. I can't believe what I heard from him next..."YES SIR" and our prices are fixed, there are no negotiations that's our company policy. I had a good laugh and immediately disconnected the phone. But from the discussion few things were clear to me

Online car portals are having a gala time specially in this era of chip shortage were car deliveries are getting delayed.

The following point were noted after the discussion.
These portals while buying cars from car owners are calculating depreciated value based on the ex showroom price at which the original owner bought the car. While selling these cars they are justifying the inflated prices by comparing the present prices of these cars and that too "On road prices". In recent times the prices of most cars have shot up thanks to multiple reasons such as implementation of Euro6 norms, skyrocketing prices of basic material such as iron after Ukraine war, chip shortage or just introduction of new feature set and even newer turbocharged engines.

So while buying a used car from these portals one has to be very careful. Ist we have to check the actual ex show room prices. We also have to compare what feature set/technology used we are getting with the used car and if it's too much of a compromise which doesn't justify it's prices compared to the new present generation cars. Recently in Delhi thanks to pollution norms diesels cars before euro6 and Petrol cars begin euro4 were temporarily banned, so those who bought used cars of older pollution norms were not able to ply those. It was too big a compromise. There is a reason why there is depreciation and no amount of retrofitting can make a car new.

Last edited by drsachin : 28th November 2022 at 21:39.
drsachin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 17:22   #15353
BHPian

My 2014 Hyundai Grand i10 Asta(O) manual got valued at 2.6L on Cars24. It’s black colour and Gurgaon registered. Run 55k, new clutch,new battery, 10k old tires - in pretty good shape. Is this a fair market price? It seems less than the price quoted by members for the same model and vintage on the selling to cars24 thread - hence the query.
promit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 16:47   #15354
BHPian

I was just randomly surfing the internet and wanted to know that what would be a fair price to pay for a 1.0L TSI AT Polo Highline+/GT that's driven 5000-15000kms in 0.5-2 years? What should be the approximate price range of such a car?
Old 8th December 2022, 20:11   #15355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAgile View Post
I was just randomly surfing the internet and wanted to know that what would be a fair price to pay for a 1.0L TSI AT Polo Highline+/GT that's driven 5000-15000kms in 0.5-2 years? What should be the approximate price range of such a car?
Standard deduction would put it at 10% for the 6 month old car and about 25% on a car that has done 2 years.
Old 10th December 2022, 21:25   #15356
BHPian

I am looking for an automatic SUV in Trivandrum, Kerala.

What would be an okay price for an XUV500, 2019 model, W11(O) AT, 28000 kms done?

Dealer is asking for 18 lacs, which is outrageous.

There's also a 2017 Tata Hexa XTA, 50000 kms done, for which the asking price is 13.6 lakhs.

What should be my offer? Orangebook says 14.5 to 15.5 for the XUV and 11.1 to 11.2 for the Hexa.
vivekgk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 21:59   #15357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I am looking for an automatic SUV in Trivandrum, Kerala.
The dealer quoted price is atrocious. I think that dealer is situated in chacka bypass. Paying more than 16 for xuv 500 AT will be foolishness. Why not a crysta AT or old creta diesel AT?
tikku.dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:25   #15358
BHPian

What should be the right price for 2014 Brio VX AT Petrol with 28000 km on the odometer in Noida? There dealer is asking for Rs 3.5 Lacs.
MBond007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:07   #15359

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
I have the same dilemma and have been searching for an automatic used car but laugh at the asking price looking at the prices you mentioned. I have been unable to find a direct seller and all the portals are full of dealers with ridiculous prices. I questioned one and he started comparing pricing with new models.
I have the same issue. Trying to find good automatic but the prices are very high. May be I should look for EVs now.
Old 20th December 2022, 21:40   #15360
Senior - BHPian

What would be the right price to pay for a 3-year old (Dec-2019) Baleno-Zeta Automatic (CVT) that's run around 50K kms? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks