Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 09:26   #4036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Hi Naveen,
Thanks for such a detailed reply and for the patience too.
I had called up Maruti dealer. When I queried about projector setup they didn't have much clue.
So I think for the time being, I'll go for 4300K H4 (not 6000K).
Does it sound OK to you?
I saw in the same Philips site(http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2/automotive/product.jsp?menu=2_1&id=1053472)DiamondVision,Crys talVision,SilverVision and 2 others in WhiteLight category.Xenon HID standard comes under UltimateLight.
Does it make sense to go for one of the Whitelights? If yes, could you please suggest which one?

Thanks in advance,
BR
@BR
I think you should go for 4300k HIDs. These provide max visibility.
Maruti dealers wont even have a clue on projectors. You can try various accessories shops for projectors.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:08   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last Saturday I had been to Bimal.
Bimal apparently have started selling(+fitting) Philips and Osram Xenon HID kits. Both them costs around 10-10.5K.
One of the fellow T-BHPians, nirmal, has given a go-ahead .
I spoke to Bimal just now about HID installation on my Sx4, and they said that they don't do any such installations. They have Osram high powered bulbs that cost Rs. 2000 - they can fit those. But no HID kit installation.

Can you tell me who told you about Bimal stocking and installing HID kits?
Old 30th July 2010, 13:57   #4038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I spoke to Bimal just now about HID installation on my Sx4, and they said that they don't do any such installations. They have Osram high powered bulbs that cost Rs. 2000 - they can fit those. But no HID kit installation.

As far I know, Maruti Dealers wont sell/approve aftermarket modification kits.
I'm surprised to hear that they do install higher rated bulbs. When I inquired here in Cochin, they said they wont do it even after I bought the kit from outside.

Osram Cool blue bulbs will come around 1.3k including relays,holders and wires. I had previously used these.
Old 30th July 2010, 16:17   #4039
BHPian

Quote:

Hello there,
Please speak to Umesh. His no: is 9902096832. He works in accessories dept.
Ask for Philips Xenon HID 6000K . He'll definitely answer you. But he admits that he doesn't know too much technical details
The Bimal I am referring to is in Whitefield. (not the Y'hanka one)
If you are staying somewhere near, you could even pay a visit.

Hope the above helps.

Regards
Old 30th July 2010, 17:24   #4040
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Nilanjan,
I spoke to Pratham guys in ORR in the afternoon. They say they don't fit it since these are not approved by RTO.
Dealers have different answers.

He says Osram nightbreaker is good. In addition to that I could go for fog lamp upgrade Total cost would be 3K + will be on the right side of the law.
But happened to read somewhere in this thread itself that Osram doesn't have good life.

So I am still in a confused state. Investing 10K and Bang cops asking me to change it back to the approved one, lots of things going on in my head.
As PF sung, "There is someone in my head, it's not me". No I am not on any *stuff*. Jes kidding
Old 1st August 2010, 17:24   #4041
BHPian

Quote:

a pair of 55watt osram nightbreakers cost 1600 rs . which ones did you see ? if you just change your stock yellowish color one to the 55 white light of osram nb then its only minor improvement in lighting . philips also has whitelight bulbs that cost around 250 and are comparable and more vfm .

either go for the 100 watt ones or get HID . why waste 2000 on Nightbreakers when philips has comparable bulbs at much lesser cost .
Old 1st August 2010, 18:48   #4042
BHPian

Hi Friends

I am contemplating buying a full HID conversion kit from the Retro Rides for my OHC and I have a few questions

* The proprietor said that ballasts were not of digital type. What are the advantages of digital over the normal ones?

* I understand these kits are from China. Will there be any problems caused to the car if I install these?

* Is 6000K temperature the best?

* If I use duplicate headlamp assembly - will there be any problem

Retro rides is a in in Delhi and they will courier me the entire assembly (headlamps included)

I had enquired long and hard to get the conversion done in Kerala itself but to no avail. No one in Kerala seems to do such conversions. Looks like retro rides is the only option for me now (either that or DIY - which I am not very confident about)

The retro rides guys told me that either I can courier my headlamps to them for the conversion (which I am unable to do since my car would become unusable for a few days) or they would buy one themselves, do the conversion and mail it to me. They quoted 3K for a pair of headlamps for the OHC and since its so cheap I am guessing its not OEM honda ones. So I was wondering if that would be an issue. I'm cool with using non-OEM ones, as long as they don't cause any trouble.
Old 1st August 2010, 18:59   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
I am contemplating buying a full HID conversion kit from the Retro Rides for my OHC and I have a few questions
* The proprietor said that ballasts were not of digital type. What are the advantages of digital over the normal ones?
* I understand these kits are from China. Will there be any problems caused to the car if I install these?

Retro rides is a in in Delhi and they will courier me the entire assembly (headlamps included)
I had enquired long and hard to get the conversion done in Kerala itself but to no avail. No one in Kerala seems to do such conversions. Looks like retro rides is the only option for me now (either that or DIY - which I am not very confident about)
why are you buying new headlamp assembly for a HID kit ? its just a bulb that have to install and even if they do it for you you still need to route the relay and fix the ballasts . cant locals mechs do this ? or am i missing something .

answering your questions - the digital ones are smaller and newer tech and also are claimed to be more efficient and reliable .

6000k is a little bluish white . best is 4300k as it provides max visibility and doesnt look blue .its the standard OEM color temperature of many high end cars that have hids.
shouldnt be any problem with it ,just make sure a relay is also included .
Old 1st August 2010, 19:04   #4044
BHPian

I have 90/100 Phillips H4 bulbs through a relay on my Swift. Problem is that they seem to burn out rather quickly. After driving about 5k km one filament inevitably burns out. Even though the holders are ceramic, the left bulb has generated enough heat to melt the wires twice in the last 6 months.
What could the problem be?
Also, how much discount should a I be getting on mrp on Osram nightbreakers?
Old 1st August 2010, 19:04   #4045
BHPian

Projector fogs installed :D

Hey guys,

Got my Hella projector fogs yesterday.. Started installing them in the morning and it was done by noon. It was a hectic job to install them in my bumper, It needed some cutting and stuff but no cut was visible after installing them.. Throw is good and the cutoff line is sharp, Check the pictures attached, These pics were clicked at 6pm So there was still osme light around, I'll click some day and night pics later.

( Upgrade halogens to HId in the projectors? Worth it? )
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02777.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02776.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc02778.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2010, 10:03   #4046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
Hi Friends

The retro rides guys told me that either I can courier my headlamps to them for the conversion (which I am unable to do since my car would become unusable for a few days) or they would buy one themselves, do the conversion and mail it to me. They quoted 3K for a pair of headlamps for the OHC and since its so cheap I am guessing its not OEM honda ones. So I was wondering if that would be an issue. I'm cool with using non-OEM ones, as long as they don't cause any trouble.
From your query, I feel that you are going in for Projectors? If you are not going for projectors, you dont need to install new headlight assembly. HID's are bulbs and can be fitted onto your OHC.
I would suggest you to stick with branded HID kits. Philips 4300k HID's would be the best.
6000K temp bulbs will be pure white whereas 4300K will be white with a tinge of yellow. This provides the best light output.

Installation of HID's are common in Kerala, specially in OHC. But, if you are mentioning of projector installation, then you are right. You have very few options for custom projectors in Kerala today.

You can check out the "TBHP Cochin meet" thread where we have uploaded few pics with 6000k and 4300k HID's.

Let me know if you need any help.
Old 2nd August 2010, 13:30   #4047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
From your query, I feel that you are going in for Projectors? If you are not going for projectors, you dont need to install new headlight assembly. HID's are bulbs and can be fitted onto your OHC.
I would suggest you to stick with branded HID kits. Philips 4300k HID's would be the best.
6000K temp bulbs will be pure white whereas 4300K will be white with a tinge of yellow. This provides the best light output.

Installation of HID's are common in Kerala, specially in OHC. But, if you are mentioning of projector installation, then you are right. You have very few options for custom projectors in Kerala today.

You can check out the "TBHP Cochin meet" thread where we have uploaded few pics with 6000k and 4300k HID's.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hi Naveen/Nirmal,
I went to Bimal this Saturday (after troubling Naveen and Nirmal with whole lots of questions) and fitted my SX4 with Philips Xenon HID kit.
I checked with Philips distributors in Bangalore (AK Trader,JC road).
They said Philips have stopped distributing 4300K in India. He said the HIDs coming are of 6000K.
Since Whitefileld Bimal had the conversion kit, I got it done.

Boy,I must say, that the the light O/P now is fantastic.
Yes, I wouldn't want to use i high beam. That will cause problems for oncoming drivers.
We felt that even in low beam light O/P is too good.

Thanks Navin and Nirmal for the help.
As Naveen says, even if you have to pay a bit extra, it's better if you go for branded HIDs.

Regards,
BR
Old 2nd August 2010, 14:28   #4048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Naveen/Nirmal,
I went to Bimal this Saturday (after troubling Naveen and Nirmal with whole lots of questions) and fitted my SX4 with Philips Xenon HID kit.
I checked with Philips distributors in Bangalore (AK Trader,JC road).
They said Philips have stopped distributing 4300K in India. He said the HIDs coming are of 6000K.
Since Whitefileld Bimal had the conversion kit, I got it done.

Boy,I must say, that the the light O/P now is fantastic.
Yes, I wouldn't want to use i high beam. That will cause problems for oncoming drivers.
We felt that even in low beam light O/P is too good.

Thanks Navin and Nirmal for the help.
As Naveen says, even if you have to pay a bit extra, it's better if you go for branded HIDs.

Regards,
BR
@BR:

Finally, got them installed uh. Yes, Philips dont have 4300k HIDs now. I cross checked with my friend. Please check the latest updates on "TBHP - Cochin meet" thread. We have posted some pics comparing my 4300k HIDs(Projectors) with Philips 6000k HIDs(Stock Swift headlights).
You can see the difference.
Anyways, congrats dude. Now, please post the pics.
Cheers.
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:10   #4049
BHPian

BR - Congrats ! Am sure you will enjoy your night drives ! You are welcome anytime to ask any questions you want to, knowledge is meant to be shared ! Glad that the info came in handy for you

Naveen - Tried searching for the right thread about the 4300 K vs 6000 K comparison but couldn't get it, could you please paste the right one here ? Would be interesting to see the comparison pics !
Old 2nd August 2010, 15:11   #4050
BHPian

BR - Congrats ! Am sure you will enjoy your night drives ! You are welcome anytime to ask any questions you want to, knowledge is meant to be shared ! Glad that the info came in handy for you Naveen - Tried searching for the right thread about the 4300 K vs 6000 K comparison but couldn't get it, could you please paste the right one here ? Would be interesting to see the comparison pics !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks