Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2016, 09:18   #9646
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moun10 View Post
Nowadays I have to do a lot of highway driving at night and current lights seems inadequate. Now I am thinking of going for 100/90 setup with a relay. (my car has dual barrel headlight h7-low, h7-high).
Also look for aux lights like the Hella 3000 series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
.. I decided to replace the OEM bulbs in my Vento (still under warranty)to Philips EV of same wattage.However,I am not satisfied with the improvement & throw and hence,decided to go for higher wattage bulbs.I have placed order for Hella Rally 130/90W bulbs.
If you are driving in city mainly, then 130/90 will definitely cause problems for other drivers. If your requirement is for highways, then go for aux lights.
Old 26th February 2016, 09:41   #9647
BHPian

Is it true that the headlight reflectors get burned and the glass turns yellowish if we use 130/100 W bulbs? I wanted to get it installed in my 1st gen Hyundai i20 but many people advised me not to go for that setup. Right now i am using Phillips 100/90 W without relay.
Old 26th February 2016, 10:40   #9648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
Is it true that the headlight reflectors get burned and the glass turns yellowish if we use 130/100 W bulbs? I wanted to get it installed in my 1st gen Hyundai i20 but many people advised me not to go for that setup. Right now i am using Phillips 100/90 W without relay.
Yes man, 130/100W dissipate so much heat that the reflectors turn pale eventually. 100/90W also does damage but lesser compared to the former.

I used 100/90W with relays on most of my vehicle including my Xylo. And I used them during overnight journeys which kept the light on for continuous 10-12 hours during my Bangalore-Kottayam drives atleast once a month and all other normal night drives. Xylo's headlight units were changed after 5 years of usage and had clocked roughly 60000KMs by then. So do your math accordingly by calculating the cost of headlight units versus the benefits based on your use case.

However I strongly advise you to go for the relays even on your current 100/90 setup. It doesn't need tampering of your stock cabling but keeps your electricals safe and sound.

Last edited by jacs : 26th February 2016 at 10:42.
Old 26th February 2016, 12:14   #9649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Right now i am using Phillips 100/90 W without relay.
. Please install a Relay-Wiring Kit ASAP.

I am wondering how the system is surviving with this set-up till now!

Regarding the reflectors fading out, I am using this set-up in both WagonR (1.75 Lac with this set-up) and Ertiga (around 80,000 kms with this) and have faced no issues with fading till now.

I usually drive on low beams all the times and use the high beam only to flash while overtaking or under extreme conditions that require more light to pass certain sections based on speed and road conditions.

That said, I have mostly done all night drives lasting 8+ hours with the lights On (barring breaks) and the experience has been trouble free with both these cars.
Old 26th February 2016, 14:36   #9650
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Philips Rally 130/100 with a Roots relay harness for almost 2 years in the SX4 and nothing has happened to the reflector.

Just recently the problem is that when I use high beam for a long time it gets stuck on high beam even though I switch to low beam them both high and low beams are on together. I need to flick the pass switch a few times to switch off high beam. I think its a problem with the switch because it stays on even if I switch off everything.
Old 26th February 2016, 14:58   #9651
BHPian

Thanks straight6. Won't it put additional strain on the car battery? Can you tell me a reliable place to source the bulbs and relay.
Old 26th February 2016, 15:30   #9652
BHPian

Thanks for the feedback guys. I use low beam 99% of the times and high beam only for few seconds when required. That's the reason why I went ahead and chose 130/ 90 W specifically as 90 W is what I will predominantly use and I hope it won't do much damage as the 130 W does. Will update once I am done with the swap.
Old 26th February 2016, 15:40   #9653
BHPian

Printh i guess you got a bit confused. The bulb comes as 130/100 W. Kindly check the source from where you bought it.
Old 26th February 2016, 15:46   #9654
BANNED

Quote:
That's the reason why I went ahead and chose 130/ 90 W specifically
I guess you are getting confused. It is either 100/90W or 130/100W.

Which one are you using?!
Old 26th February 2016, 16:15   #9655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However,I am not satisfied with the improvement & throw and hence,decided to go for higher wattage bulbs.I have placed order for Hella Rally 130/90W bulbs.

Requesting guidance from fellow members in the following areas.
1.Can I get the Philips relay kit from online sites? Will that suffice?
2.Is there some kind of special fuse I must ask for and buy?
3.Is realignment of beam mandatory after changing to the above mentioned setup?

I have planned to get this done at the Mahindra First Choice centre nearby,who quotes Rs.450 for fitting alone with parts provided by me.
130/90W bulbs are too much for a normal reflector setup. 90/100W is the best bet IMO. I had earlier installed Philips Extreme Vision+ H4 55/60W, and then went in for Philips Rally 90/100W with wiring, relay and ceramic holders. The entire wiring kit was Rs. 1100 or 1200/-from Lumax. Philips Rally were made in India and alignment was way too weird with a rather random pattern. Intensity was excellent.

Then I got Hella Rallye 90/100W bulbs which were "Made in Germany" and they did have better alignment. But somehow, the left side pattern was not as good as OE or Philips Extreme Vision. Day before yesterday, I removed the wiring kit and 90/100W bulbs and reverted back to Philips Extreme Vision.

From my above experiment and setbacks, ensure that bulbs are not "Made in India", they simply do not have good filament placement. Philips Extreme vision+ are not "Made In India" and are doing better than OE as far as alignment goes. Where-ever you are planning to the wiring kit and bulbs installed, ensure that the wires are lined up and secured in such a way that the wiring is not a disturbance in regular services. Get it done under your observation only. Those who are executing the job also have tendency to be rough with the bulbs and hold the bulb from glass area which is not recommended.

I could observe how badly they had installed my bulbs and holders. Also, ensure that no connector is left open, it must be taped over with insulation tape.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 26th February 2016 at 16:17.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2016, 16:59   #9656
BHPian

Quote:
Printh i guess you got a bit confused. The bulb comes as 130/100 W. Kindly check the source from where you bought it.

I am pretty sure of the wattage rating guys. Actually,the 130/90 W rating is not specific for India. I saw the bulb on Amazon USA site and booked it in EBay India.

Attaching a screenshot from my mailbox for reference :
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1456486044.765646.jpg

The make is Hella and model is Rally. The Philips counterpart in Indian sites had only 130/100 W setup and not 90 W for low beam.
Old 26th February 2016, 23:02   #9657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks straight6. Won't it put additional strain on the car battery? Can you tell me a reliable place to source the bulbs and relay.
I bought it from Mahesh Auto near dahisar check naka.
Old 27th February 2016, 07:16   #9658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I guess you are getting confused. It is either 100/90W or 130/100W.

Which one are you using?!
No confusion here. Hella offers 130/90 as well as 100/55w combinations. My cousin brought these bulba from germany a few years back. I was interested in the concept of having a 100/55w setup. But on deeper thought, I realised that since we(or at least me) rarely use the high beams, the real benefit of an upgrade wont be realised. The low beam will be useless as before, which will make us switch to high beam. This in turn will blind the opposite drivers badly. Hence I dropped the idea. Rather I would be interested in a 55/90 setup.

A higher wattage low beam will ensure fantastic road surface illumination and also does not cause any sort of a glare. Not the same case with an upgraded high beam. Hence the usual high beam is sufficient enough IMO.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 16:45   #9659
BHPian

To add to the list, Hella offers 100/80 W H4 too. That makes the most practical setup for our country. 80W all the time for good illumination and 100 W only to prevent washing out when that TATA ace/ Innova bullies with its array of powerful lamps. I would've gone for it had I seen it before placing order for 130/90 W.
Old 27th February 2016, 17:08   #9660
BHPian

Hi friends,

I am tired of my Rapid's headlight. Its getting very difficult during the highway night drives.

I did change the stock bulbs to Osram NB. The low beam is fine but the high beam is pathetic.

I have decided to go ahead with high power headlights with the wiring set up. My car is 1 year old and I don't think there is any electrical warranty now. Even if exists, I am not bothered for the same.

Now I have several question around this setup after talking to Mrs. Kumar from Auto Planet in Koramangala!!

1. The base wiring kit in the car remains the same however a part of the wiring is changed to facilitate the 90/100 bulb power.
2. All the wiring and bulbs would be of Philips brand and the cost would be approx 1800/-
3. There would be a ceramic holder placed to hold the bulbs.
4. There is no water leak in or vacuum formation if this set up is done in Rapid is what they say.
5. Since these bulbs are high powered ones, a break of 20 mins- 30 mins is needed every 4 hours during night drives.

Now I am royally confused. Never thought that this small upgrade will be so complicated.

I am looking for the best light set up with no budget restrictions. Please help..

Last edited by rki2007 : 27th February 2016 at 17:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks