Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2016, 20:31   #9691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post

Secondly, while aliexpress can send me the radio control switch , however , I am wondering if one can have a better OEM experience by using one of these.
Check if the switches in that array are individual parts or one complete assembly. If they are individual switches, then you could probably buy a spare and push it into the dummy slots. That would be the best looking install. I am planning to do this for my WagonR in order to be able to swap horns(one pair for the occassional warning beep and another to blast away a moronic cabbie )
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 22:24   #9692
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, once back in my armchair, I browsed some more and came across the Micro DE Xenon lamps which promise a better throw.
My suggestion - based on experience of a fellow-TBHP-ian: Not this !!

I am trying to recollect who it was, but the person had got these on his vehicle and then he took it off since these were not upto the mark. You could do a search for "Micro DE" on TBHP .. hopefully you will find it.
Old 8th March 2016, 09:58   #9693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Micro DE Xenon lamps which promise a better throw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My suggestion - based on experience of a fellow-TBHP-ian: Not this !!

I am trying to recollect who it was, but the person had got these on his vehicle and then he took it off since these were not upto the mark.
I had Micro DE halogens on my M800, and they were excellent for close-range visibility when blinded by High-Beam morons. Some pics:

Name:  03_Front.png
Views: 5867
Size:  620.9 KB

Name:  07_Inside_Aux.png
Views: 5781
Size:  429.7 KB

The pic above was shot with a mobile cam, so the pic does not do justice to the actual view.

If you focus these Mirco-DEs right, they can be used for "enlightening" purposes too.

I have plans to install HIDs in the Micro-DEs, after reading up a thread in HID Planet. Mounting them in my current ride is not as simple or straight forward as with the M800, hence in procrastination mode for quite some time

Last edited by silversteed : 8th March 2016 at 10:03.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 21:29   #9694
BHPian

Hello everyone
I just got projector headlamps installed on my vw polo and they currently have halogens installed so I am planning to install hid's. I am a beginner to all this so it would be great if some could help me make the right decision. Few Quires:
  • Currently the low beam bulb is a halogen. So can I install a Bi-xenon and how would that work on the polo ?
  • Can I have one Bi-xenon(throwing high) and the other halogen for the high beam working at the same time?
  • Which hid's to go for(should come with warranty)
Old 8th March 2016, 21:42   #9695
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishchal316 View Post
Hello everyone
I just got projector headlamps installed on my vw polo and they currently have halogens installed so I am planning to install hid's. I am a beginner to all this so it would be great if some could help me make the right decision. Few Quires:
  • Currently the low beam bulb is a halogen. So can I install a Bi-xenon and how would that work on the polo ?
  • Can I have one Bi-xenon(throwing high) and the other halogen for the high beam working at the same time?
  • Which hid's to go for(should come with warranty)
Option 2 would give you best of both worlds- a bi-xenon can work as low beam (with the shield on) and as high beam (with shield moved), while you retain the capability to 'flash' using the halogen high beam. However, the far higher output of HIDs would make your halogen high beam bulb practically look like a candle against the sun ;-)

I'd ordered my HIDs from a reliable CNlight supplier through eBay. Can dig up the seller, but I'm not very sure how economical would warranty replacements be, considering they ship from China. The Amritra's P8 kit would probably be a good bet.
Old 11th March 2016, 12:00   #9696
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I do have Hyalux 55W CANBUS ballasts in the fogs of my Civic.
Is it a AC or DC ballast? How to find out if the ballast is AC or DC?
Ballasts that comes with external starters falls under which category?
Old 12th March 2016, 11:09   #9697
BHPian

So, I finally managed to get the projectors for my car - a Dec 2014 Fluidic Verna CRDi.

The car came with regular halogen reflector headlights. The bulb specification being H4 (dual filament type). Like I have mentioned before numerous times, the headlights are an absolute piece of crap. Right from day 1, I kept complaining about not enough intensity/throw of the headlights for night driving - be it highway / city. Yes, the headlight assembly looks good, but that's about it. Only aesthetic appeal, but functionally it fares very poor. I think it must be the poor choice of reflector design. There is absolutely no difference b/w the High and Low beams. A gas lamp would light the road better. The low beam is hardly seen and the high beam is just....well....er.....high. I don't even know where the lights are pointing.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457759025.364617.jpg
The default halogen reflector headlights

Now since I tend to do a lot of highway driving especially in the nights, I badly needed an upgrade. This was becoming a serious safety issue. So I considered the following options:-

1st option:- Took it to Hyundai, who managed to get the headlights aligned. I don't know what they did, but told me that the problem should be sorted. So I took the car back in the daytime (my mistake)

Effective ??? Not at all. No changes whatsoever. Decided there's no absolutely no use going to these incompetent idiots who gave me some incredibly stupid gyaan on auto lighting.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457759069.988548.jpg
Piss poor reflector design

2nd option: Change of bulbs.
I thought it could be because of poor bulbs (considering Hyundai is sometimes the master of cost cutting and they tend to do it in critical things).

So I bought a pair of Nightbreakers from Osram and Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs. Did it improve the performance even a bit ?!?! Nope. Nada. Nil. I could say propably 5% improvement, but that's about it.

3rd option: Get higher power bulbs
So I just wasted money on more bulbs that did not have any advantage over the default bulbs that came with the car. So I thought let's go 130/100 with a relay.

But then the thought struck me that I was already being blinded by morons on high beams and HID's in reflectors and I didn't want to do the same.

4th Option: Projectors & HID's
After reading a lot of content about how projectors offer massive improvements over Halogen lights on tBHP and various automotive lighting forums, I decided that this would be the best option. Money be damned, this was about safety for night drives. So I researched a lot and found out about TRS and decided to order a complete kit when it hit me that I don't have the necessary skills to pull off a retrofit nor did I get any pointers in the right direction as to who could pull it off in Bengaluru. So this was put on hold as well as my night drives.

Contacted Hyundai Mobis and checked 99rpm for the OEM projector headlights and got a shock of my life. A single projector headlight assembly costs a whopping ₹45,000/- without the mounts, bolts etc. So that option was ruled out. There was no way I was gonna spend ₹1 lac on a pair of headlight assembly.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457759830.206807.jpg

Began searching for cheaper options on hyundaiforums.com and came across an eBay seller selling a brand new piece (a pair) for just ₹35,000 + ₹6000 for shipping. As luck would have it, I was to goto a conference in Seoul, Korea. After finishing my work and going around town, I happened to meet this eBay seller in person check out the headlamps and placed an order.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760077.842016.jpg

Came back to Bengaluru and the wait began. In 10 days recieved the package at home, paid customs duty of about ₹2,500 since the seller sent an undervalued invoice.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760138.093556.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760169.023583.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760263.069350.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760301.075126.jpg

Absolutely brilliant packaging. Product was as described. Came with the additional wiring and a wiring diagram.

So the first thing I did was take it to Hyundai who said they couldn't do it because they had to splice the original headlight harness and that would be against company policy.

Next asked my query on this very same thread and came in contact with SunnyBoi. Believe me when I say this. This man is a legend, got the whole thing setup beautifully. He has every possible thing you'd need to modify your car in any way whatsoever. Very skilled and absolutely neat work. Got the DRL's wired to the ignition and the rest of the setup as mentioned in the wiring diagram.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760994.323476.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457761019.736014.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457761070.210768.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457761099.444424.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457761127.006854.jpg
Sunnyboi working his magic

Now, coming to the headlight performance, in one word - Brilliant. Complete upgrade. The low beam throw is marvellous and in most cases sufficient for night drive. I now use the high beam only for flashing for overtakes. In city only the low beam is adequate, I don't even use the fogs now.

I'm extremely happy with this new setup, the headlight performance has improved tremendously and it gives the car a mean and upmarket look. Aesthetically beautiful and functionally brilliant.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760935.728195.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760891.470788.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457760850.706581.jpg

What's next - 55w HID's.

Bottom line:- If anyone is contemplating a light upgrade, projectors is the way to go. I'm sure you would not regret and please donot plonk in HID's unless you have projectors. There are enough morons who are blinding people on the road.

Special thanks to: Sunnyboi (couldn't get this to work without him) and to teamBHP.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th March 2016, 23:11   #9698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
So, I finally managed to get the projectors for my car.......
The projector lamps look great on your car. More importantly, it looks like time and money well spent.The whole post is very informative. Thanks !!
Old 14th March 2016, 21:23   #9699
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get the Hella 500s and I have a few questions. I know it's illegal, can the setup handle a 100 watt bulb? Two, hundred watt Hella lamps, is what I am contemplating. Hella gurus, and users, would you suggest them? Any user experience of the same setup? Exhausted my energy reading the pages of information on this thread, finally to reaffirm, the question. Just, anything anything at all tips, tricks, insights, would be highly helpful.

First time aux lamp installer!

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 14th March 2016 at 21:25.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 21:43   #9700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
I am planning to get the Hella 500s and I have a few questions. .. can the setup handle a 100 watt bulb?
You can fit a H3 100W bulb in the 500's.

Question -which type of bulbs do you have in your car right now ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 22:09   #9701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You can fit a H3 100W bulb in the 500's.

Question -which type of bulbs do you have in your car right now ?
Headlamps are 60/55 Philips H4 (5w position lamp inside the headlamp housing and foglamps x 2 are 55 watts, (not so sure about the fog wattage) all completely stock.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 14th March 2016 at 22:13.
Old 14th March 2016, 22:45   #9702
Distinguished - BHPian

Fair enough. You should be able to use the low-beam from your car in conjunciton with the 500FF's. The High-beam will be available to flash.

REmember to get 500FF driving lamps and NOT the fog lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
On the dust caps, I can share just one. Let me know.
Hi Kams_cars. That is fine. Can I get the smaller one ?

I had sent a message via the e-mail option. Were you able to check it ?

Last edited by Jaggu : 14th March 2016 at 22:59.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 23:47   #9703
Senior - BHPian

I'd like to replace my SX4 headlights to the projector ones. The SX4 sold in China and Hong Kong come with those as oem. Whoever has it here quotes insane prices like 25k a set. Only options now are ebay which is almost the same with shipping and the best - someone to hand carry from one of those countries.

Any other leads would be appreciated.
Old 17th March 2016, 12:38   #9704
BHPian

HID for XUV

Looking to get the stock bulbs of my XUV replaced to HID. Any pointers on how and where I can get this done in Bangalore?
Also how much would it cost.

Has anyone done this and what has been their experience?
Old 17th March 2016, 14:36   #9705
Senior - BHPian

Re: HID for XUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Looking to get the stock bulbs of my XUV replaced to HID. Any pointers on how and where I can get this done in Bangalore?
Also how much would it cost.

Has anyone done this and what has been their experience?
What month and year manufactured is your car? Please look into this thread for more details and please take a wise decision before going ahead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks