Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2020, 07:51   #2161
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Rekindled my desire to own this incredible machine again

https://Youtu.be/YzeGPYJQf-o
That guy has seriously impressive audio capture, and the bike sounds just lovely.
The little burbles on downshifts and winding down are so sweet.
You hardly get to listen to this soundtrack while riding thanks to wind and surrounding noise and helmet attenuation and whatnot.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 18:53   #2162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I was looking for replacement levers and the only things that I could find were the CNC machined ones and only one sells in India on bikenbiker for 13K. I looked at tec bike parts and theirs cost about 6K when converted. I may be wrong but I don't think it would cost 13K to get it here. If there are cheaper options please let me know.
My local RE workshop made a replacement Interceptor clutch lever from a 418083 LEVER ASSY LH by filing off a piece. Fitted price including tax Rs.189. I am not aware of any difference in appearance or function from the original.

BTW I dropped the bike by leaning it onto the side stand before putting the side stand down. Two things learned (three if you count remembering to put the stand down)
  • It was easy to pick up. I am small and elderly but I simply applied the front brake and levered it up by the handlebar ends. No drama.
  • Petrol seeped out of the filler cap. I was surprised, I thought safety standards would require a petrol tight cap for fire safety.
catkins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 20:34   #2163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
My local RE workshop made a replacement Interceptor clutch lever from a 418083 LEVER ASSY LH by filing off a piece. Fitted price including tax Rs.189. I am not aware of any difference in appearance or function from the original.

BTW I dropped the bike by leaning it onto the side stand before putting the side stand down. Two things learned (three if you count remembering to put the stand down)
  • It was easy to pick up. I am small and elderly but I simply applied the front brake and levered it up by the handlebar ends. No drama.
  • Petrol seeped out of the filler cap. I was surprised, I thought safety standards would require a petrol tight cap for fire safety.
The fuel leaking from the bike when tipped over is definitely a big surprise. That’s not something you want to read at all!
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 21:05   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Man i seriously hope that you get accustomed to the weight of the bike soon, maybe you need some more riding. Keep on riding and after a while you wouldn't even notice it.

Regarding the damage to the bike, it looks very minor, if you insist you will get insurance claim but in the process you will have to pay the filing charge and you will loose the no claim bonus which you get on the Premium of your second year insurance. So get an estimate for this damage and then compare it with what you will be loosing by filing for the claim.

For toolkit purchase a socket set of taparia or stanley, it works well and purchase a Allen key set of taparia. To remove the exhausts you will be needing a c/ring spanner to hold the nuts of the corresponding bolts, so you can buy an adjustable wrench of taparia, it can be used anywhere and everywhere.
Tools ate like toys, you keep on adding them to your collection.
I will keep riding. I took the same corner again yesterday. Really slowly since it was pouring. I was able to take it with no issue. I will still keep riding just like you told me in your very first reply to me.

Thanks! I'm still waiting on the quote from the executive, but after your recommendation I think I'll pay for it on my own.

Thanks for the tool recommendations. Will the adjustable wrench fir into the small space though? Or should I get a socket wrench or something of the sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post

This is not my first drop, in fact it's my fifth . I haven't had an issue picking it up except for the one time I fell on a slushy slope. Petrol hasn't seeped out any of the five times. You might want to get the seal on the fuel filler cap checked.

I have the Zana crash guard on and I recommend getting it. It's slightly wider than I like, especially in traffic, but it protects the entire front so well.
Old 18th September 2020, 22:03   #2165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Thanks! I'm still waiting on the quote from the executive, but after your recommendation I think I'll pay for it on my own.

Thanks for the tool recommendations. Will the adjustable wrench fir into the small space though? Or should I get a socket wrench or something of the sort.
Well get the smallest adjustable wrench, it's a really useful tool, fits in a lot of places. Moreover you can get the C spanner set, it's really cheap. You don't buy tools at the same time, you acquire them gradually with time. Start with the adjustable spanner and the C spanner set, you will be all set.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 22:22   #2166
BHPian

Quote:
Well get the smallest adjustable wrench, it's a really useful tool, fits in a lot of places. Moreover you can get the C spanner set, it's really cheap. You don't buy tools at the same time, you acquire them gradually with time. Start with the adjustable spanner and the C spanner set, you will be all set.

I'll do that then. Thank you so much!
Old 25th September 2020, 09:53   #2167
BHPian

For folks who are considering festooning their bikes with doodads, take a pause and read this. Some more feedback from my friend who knows how to put a dosa. I will probably get to ride his bike this weekend so will post some feedback of my own. I will be keen to see if I can hold decent speed through a fast sweeper and just as importantly if it inspires confidence to pitch it into a corner.

I quote my friend:

"Short review on YSS after my regular ride.
1. INT has become completely light/feels totally light post the upgrade.
2. Steering is very accurate. Braking is progressive and very graceful as opposed to a dive it used to do before.
3. Both front and rear are very tractable and they follow a line in any corner.
4. Same patches which used to throw me around abruptly before are handled very graciously.
5. Bike is completely predictable and holds a precise line.
6. Even those curves that I thought were too tight and had to do mid corner corrections don't need any such thing anymore, cornering feels like a wanted thing again. As a result cornering speeds are atleast pushed by 20kmph.
7. bad road handling is a total improvement.
8. Bike is now providing very accurate feedback from the road surface and gentle corrections are immediately seen in direction changes.
9. I did minor corrections to Compression and rebound settings in the middle of the ride and its effect is immediately seen in cornering and handling prowess.
10. So, now I can switch between a comfort setting vs rider intensive setting and it does work.
11. Rear trying to pass the front feeling is completely absent now.

Due to rain I didn't take cornering to too hard all the time but I can see that I will be able to easily handle the mid corner surprises and on and off bad patches and roads. Bike stays in line. I had made rebound damping soft and the bike completely isolated me from the bad patch but handling suffered, now I have made it slightly harder and it is in a perfect balance.

Overall I don't know if it is worth 90K but I feel INT experience now is the way I wanted it. I think rear and front both are needed they are doing their job, any one will leave the other department in not such a great companion."

Personally I think the only thing wrong with the RE twins is the suspension, well ok it might be adequate I will allow. However, the factory needs to do something about it. I don't think it's trivial effort but the factory should address it. You could also argue that you got the bike cheap, and now after the upgrade you have a bike with parts found on exotics for 90k more. I would have to agree.

Last edited by Beast_of_Burden : 25th September 2020 at 09:55. Reason: Spelling
Beast_of_Burden is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 14:28   #2168
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to take a plunge in the two-wheeler world again after a long time now, sometime by the end of this year. Currently I own a GT TSI and am looking to get a bike for city errand and some road trips around Bangalore.

Now I have some riding experience upto 250cc bikes by virtue of friends and family and I personally owned a Vespa 125, which now is with my father in Mumbai.

My requirements:
1. Powerful engine & fun to ride, yet not one that needs to be wrung to have fun
2. Relaxed riding position and balanced ride quality
3. Fuel economy is not a huge concern, but would like to have a a decent FE
4. As niggle-free as an automobile can be realistically (Have my fair share of them with the GT TSI)

Bikes TDed:
Gixxer SF 250
I liked the overall experience and it was quite relaxed at city speeds and was eager enough to pull away when demanded. The Suzuki didn't set the road on fire but I was convinced it is the one. Until I made the mistake of riding the...

Interceptor 650
The experience was something else altogether. I asked the dealer for an extended TD and he agreed. First off, they didn't have enough fuel in the tank (I inferred it's enough from the fuel indicator, but after reading this thread, I knew why). So after a quick refill by the dealer, I went out on a 10km TD on the ORR, some crowded market, twisties and bad roads. I was blown away by the twin. Now I felt that the Gixxer wasn't going to be enough. I guess the twin does that to people.

Anyhow, I'm not in a hurry to get the bike, but the itch is getting stronger by the day.

So fellow riders, my questions to you:
1. Are there any major issues with the bike? I gathered a couple from this thread, viz. soft seat, tubed tyres, average lights and soft suspension on the rear (None of them deal breakers with simple mods/accessories). Anything else I should know?
2. Are there any discounts running? I couldn't find any
3. Are alloys going to be launched any time soon and is it worth waiting?

Looking forward to expert's opinion.
Old 26th September 2020, 17:36   #2169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
My requirements:
1. Powerful engine & fun to ride, yet not one that needs to be wrung to have fun
4. As niggle-free as an automobile can be realistically (Have my fair share of them with the GT TSI)
There is no bike that is niggle free, even Honda's have their share of issues.

I would suggest try the Yamaha MT 15 / FZs or even 390 Adventure, you might like the sitting position of these bikes.

TD the bikes and go with what your heart says.
Old 26th September 2020, 17:43   #2170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
There is no bike that is niggle free, even Honda's have their share of issues.

I would suggest try the Yamaha MT 15 / FZs or even 390 Adventure, you might like the sitting position of these bikes.

TD the bikes and go with what your heart says.
Hey thanks Kailash for the recommendation. I understand that and that's why I mentioned as niggle free as realistically possible.
Anyhow,I don't like how the current lineup of Yamahas look. So not considering any of them. KTMs are also a bit too loud for my taste (colour, not exhaust).

I have my eyes set on INT650, but like I said, I want to know what are some of the issue I should expect from it.
If I find any other bike that excites me as much, I'll consider that. But for now it's the twin. And I'm not in a hurry, doing my research right now.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 26th September 2020 at 17:44.
Old 26th September 2020, 18:20   #2171
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

1. Are there any major issues with the bike? I gathered a couple from this thread, viz. soft seat, tubed tyres, average lights and soft suspension on the rear (None of them deal breakers with simple mods/accessories). Anything else I should know?
1. Front tyre wobbling is the biggest issue of this bike, i faced it too but got sorted after tightening the t stem bolt, but it's still there but not severe . Many people faced the issue due to manufacturing defect with the front tyre, some got the tyre replaced but the wobbling resurfaced after some time. The issue resolved after changing the tyre to a different brand.

2. There are no discounts, as the bike is selling in good numbers, you can save some money by getting the insurance done from outside/online and getting 20% off on accessories, this 20% discount is sometimes "forgotten" by the dealers.

3. There are no news regarding the alloys, everyone has been waiting or gone with the Tubeless conversion kits.

The best way to save money is by going to the used route, check olx of your city, you will find interceptors and gts in mint condition, the bikes are very new so you don't have to worry about anything. Plus there is 5 years of warranty(3 standard + 2 extended) i regret buying a new now, could have easily saved 50k.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 18:53   #2172
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed reply yesyeswe! Yes the pre-owned route make a lot of sense, and I did see a couple of good ones starting 2.7L on OLX and the likes.

Quote:
1. Front tyre wobbling is the biggest issue of this bike...
I didn't feel this in the TB bike. Something worth looking into when looking at pre-owned ones.

Quote:
2. ...this 20% discount is sometimes "forgotten" by the dealers.
He did mention this.
Old 26th September 2020, 23:56   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to take a plunge in the two-wheeler world again after a long time now, sometime by the end of this year. Currently I own a GT TSI and am looking to get a bike for city errand and some road trips around Bangalore.

Now I have some riding experience upto 250cc bikes by virtue of friends and family and I personally owned a Vespa 125, which now is with my father in Mumbai.

My requirements:

Bikes TDed:
Gixxer SF 250
I liked the overall experience and it was quite relaxed at city speeds and was eager enough to pull away when demanded. The Suzuki didn't set the road on fire but I was convinced it is the one. Until I made the mistake of riding the...

Interceptor 650
The experience was something else altogether. I asked the dealer for an extended TD and he agreed. First off, they didn't have enough fuel in the tank (I inferred it's enough from the fuel indicator, but after reading this thread, I knew why). So after a quick refill by the dealer, I went out on a 10km TD on the ORR, some crowded market, twisties and bad roads. I was blown away by the twin. Now I felt that the Gixxer wasn't going to be enough. I guess the twin does that to people.

Anyhow, I'm not in a hurry to get the bike, but the itch is getting stronger by the day.

Looking forward to expert's opinion.
This bike is real good fun and it stays that way at all speed. It's most definitely not a superbike, but the acceleration is adequate to make one feel alive.

The riding position is comfortable, but some find a problem with the foot peg placement. My left shin used to hurt for the first couple of weeks but i got used to it and since I live in the hills, I use the foot pegs when I have to push the bike back for a bit of extra grip on the motorcycle. I have seen mods, albeit expensive, to move the passenger pegs but not for the rider. You must have an assessment of this from your test ride.

As for fuel economy. I get between 20 and 22 kmpl. On this one trip I got 27 kmpl and I was elated. I believe the company claims 25kmpl. If you plan to ride it around n the city, then you will have to forget about the FE.

The fuel gauge has an issue where it does not drop uniformly and sometimes climbs back up by a couple of points as well. It's rather unpredictable.

The other niggles are just as those you mentioned - The seat, suspension, tube tyres and headlight.

This might be just me, but I don't feel that the tyres are grippy enough, especially while cornering.

Quote:
1. Front tyre wobbling is the biggest issue of this bike, i faced it too but got sorted after tightening the t stem bolt, but it's still there but not severe . Many people faced the issue due to manufacturing defect with the front tyre, some got the tyre replaced but the wobbling resurfaced after some time. The issue resolved after changing the tyre to a different brand.

2. There are no discounts, as the bike is selling in good numbers, you can save some money by getting the insurance done from outside/online and getting 20% off on accessories, this 20% discount is sometimes "forgotten" by the dealers.

3. There are no news regarding the alloys, everyone has been waiting or gone with the Tubeless conversion kits.

The best way to save money is by going to the used route, check olx of your city, you will find interceptors and gts in mint condition, the bikes are very new so you don't have to worry about anything. Plus there is 5 years of warranty(3 standard + 2 extended) i regret buying a new now, could have easily saved 50k.

Hearing about thing about the discount for the first time. That said, the dealership did give me the fly screen and the engine guard for free.

As for the wobbling I'm on the stock tyres and havent had an issue so far. I've gone upto 120kmph on it and haven't felt it. *Touchwood*

I'm also here to talk about my adventures with my Interceptor or misadventure rather. This evening after golf I decided to take a ride, but that was cut short owing to a puncture. I'm not really sure how punctures work (I only know to change out the spare wheel in cars, and the driver takes care of the rest) and we had to head out for dinner and I was contemplating riding it home and getting it fixed later. My dad gave me a mouthful saying that it would damage the tyre and I should get it fixed.I found a puncture shop less than a kilometre away and went down.

The guy there was upfront and said that he hadn't worked on an Interceptor before but he also said that it couldn't be very different from the others and went on to work on it. He struggled a bit while taking the tyre off but thereafter he was able to get it off without much trouble.

I wasn't really happy with the way he took the tyre off the wheel since at one point he used the disc as leverage, but I just left it to him since I have no expertise in this area. There was a 4 inch nail inside and it had pierced the tube at one end and had come out the other. He went on to get the puncture fixed and this took about 20 minutes.

The fun began when he tried to put the tyre back on. He had put some washer or something the other way around and this was causing the wheel to lock when he tightened the bolt. He figured this out slowly and went on to get it right. They then had trouble putting the callipers back on and it wouldn't sit and kept wobbling. The went to adjust it and they managed to get it on.

I was in a hurry to leave and I asked him how much it was when he asked me to ride it around and then let him know if it felt okay and to check if there were any noises from the chain and such. During the ride the rear brake felt feeble and whenever I depressed it I could feel that the lever was hitting back in pulses and this scared me. I headed back and told him what happened. He summoned the mechanic from the nearby shop and he proceeded to look into it. He adjusted something and asked me to try again.

This time the brake worked better but the lever still kept hitting back in pulses. The mechanic said he'll have to take it off and fix it but the guy at the puncture shop told me not to risk it since the bike is new and it would be better to take it to the showroom. I got back home and took a look at the brakes. The calipers seem to close to the disc but it's probably just the placebo effect.

I called the dealership and the executive told me that I shouldn't take it to local shops since they all have trouble with putting the brake mechanism back on, especially with the ABS. I've now parked her in the garage and will call RSA and have them come down tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crosses and hoping it isn't something serious or expensive, because I've just managed to muster up ₹4,000 for a new handle bar and the clutch lever.

The only thing that kind of seems good that come out of this is that my dad asked me to get the Outex tubeless kit, no matter the cost. Please let me know if it is worth getting or not.

Also, if you have any recommendations for aftermarket lever, please let me know.

Thanks!
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 00:18   #2174
BHPian

^^ the wobbling doesn't happen like that, you reach speeds of around 100 kmph then you leave your arms(that's seriously stupid i know) and at around 80 kmph the handle wobbles vigorously, as the speed reduces it stops.

I had read about this issue so many times so i gave it a shot and it happened to my bike as well, took it to svc and they tightened the t stem bolt and it somehow reduced it a lot, moreover i have stopped leaving my arms at 100 kmph, i don't want to die while checking the wobbling.

Regarding the puncture, removing the tyre is fairly easy, it's the installing that's difficult due to the weight of the tyre plus we have to slide the disc calliper into the slot provided in the swing arm . I have done this two times and at both times i was praying to my departed grandfather to help me with the installation process

Outex is very expensive, why don't you give try to cheaper Outex replacements which are available in the market for half the price.
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 10:22   #2175
BHPian

Quote:

I guess the twin does that to people.
It really really does! That twin manages to completely impress.

Quote:
Some common issues that I personally faced(in no particular order or sequence):
1. I originally didn't have any front wobble. But after a harsh ride through some incredibly bad roads, I did. The service center balanced the wheel, and I have had no issues since then.
2. The front suspension is about as useful as kerosene in a modern engine. Yes, it'll do the job, but it'll leave everything in a mess. I am most certainly getting a front suspension spring and oil upgrade soon.
3. The stock seat on the INT is super uncomfortable for a lot of folks, myself included. I got it completely redone from a local seat guy after a 200km ride absolutely destroyed my capability to sit down for the next 12 hours. Comfort aside, it has no contours either, so there are chances of you sliding back on the seat on a hard acceleration. And given the incredibly torquey motor, you do want to experience that acceleration.
4. The fuel gauge is vague. Incredibly so.
5. Not a direct issue per se, but tubed tyres. So always that fear of getting a flat on a 200++ kg machine.
6. The OEM windscreens offer very little in the way of wind protection. Do look super cool though.
7. No modern equipment. The console is less functional than the one on the Himalayan. No clock, no gear indicator.

Quote:
There have been talks of an "imminent release" for the past... I don't know, maybe 2 years? Yeah. So absolutely no clue when the alloys are actually gonna show up. But I have a nagging suspicion that they will launch them with the 650 platform bobber, mainly because that thing does have alloy wheels.

Hope that helps.
ashishk29 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks