Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2020, 19:48   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review

Honda indulges us with frequent Breakfast rides, and has been successful in creating a community bond. The second ride is on Sunday, and a resort destination at that
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-adaf29a7263f4784b859b3af515868a8.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2020, 16:20   #182
BHPian

Hey Sebring,
Found the video taken by PradeeponWheels which talks about the accessories on your bike. The bike looks stellar!

Linking it here, if you don't mind:
Sreesh1009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 22:17   #183
Senior - BHPian

Thank you. On a separate note, a few of us rode to Bangalore's own Ladhak, the beautiful Gudibande. This scenic place is located 65Kms from the City and made for a great ride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Hey Sebring,
Found the video taken by PradeeponWheels which talks about the accessories on your bike. The bike looks stellar!
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-f88100e629fd45f589ff6e0b6ef13a3e.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:17   #184
BHPian

Hi Sebring,
I have been following your thread for quite some time. Today did test drive of CB350, Meteor, Himalayan and Interceptor.
Ruled out both interceptor and Himalayan immediately. Liked both Meteor and CB350. Since you have driven both I would like your opinion since the test ride of both was for a short distance.
I found refiness of the engine, manoeuvreing in traffic, forgiving speed to gear ratio excellent in CB while seat comfort and pillion comfort much better in Meteor.
If that's the only advantage of meteor will changing the stock seats to split seats improves CB350 or am I missing something.

Last edited by drrajasaravanan : 21st December 2020 at 15:19. Reason: Spelling mistake.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:41   #185
BHPian

Midlife Crisis in Action.

Riding after a gap of around 20 years| I have been trying to convince the wife on buying a bike for the last two years. I wanted something that suited my age, run the odd errand and go out and about. Maybe an an occasional early morning ride or day trip at the most. In a weak moment about 5 days ago, she did a half-yes. I didn't wait, test drove the CB 350, and immediately booked it. It seemed gentle enough for me, not too big or twitchy. It is a smooth easy rider and the wind in my face after 20 years seemed so magical, it was excitement enough for me. At my age, I don't want the screamers, wheelie poppers or the jumpers.

I loved the matte green DLX, but it has a long waiting and period and I couldn't risk a change of heart from my wife. I should get a red in a few days. Mithu at Kochi has been very helpful

The only serious alternative I considered was the Meteor, but reliability is a big factor for me and I'm leaning towards the Hondas on that count.
dingolphie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 15:43   #186
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, no. The Meteor seats are much comfier. You sit back, on the RE. While you lean forward on CB350, so I dont have complaints as such. I did 280 Kms on Sunday. Back was absolutely fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
will changing the stock seats to split seats improves CB350 or am I missing something.

Last edited by Sebring : 21st December 2020 at 15:46.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 16:12   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
...This also means a lot of muck on the roads and the grippy tyres/thin mudguards pick up everything and toss it on the bike.
...I clean up the bike after every ride, but most are finding it a chore.
Bangalore roads are getting worse by the day, and we had rains till mid-Dec this year. All that dirt on all that chrome and on the engine!

Have you discussed this with your service personnel at Honda / been able to find some aftermarket solution for this yet?

Two, you mentioned touring on the highway switching between the Dominar and the CB350 - would you be able to share a little more on the riding experiences? The D400 is very vibey at low speeds, but at higher cruising speeds I've heard that it gets better. What is your take on CB350 vs D400 on highways in terms of comfort, gear shift frequency, power delivery, et al?
foxworkz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 21:57   #188
BHPian

Hi,
Another quick question. Comparing meteor and CB350 is the 4th and 5th gear too tall for quick manoeuvring in CB350 compared to meteor.
I am really confused between these two, I wish I can drive a longer distance to decide for myself but Honda are not forthcoming.
drrajasaravanan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 22:29   #189
Senior - BHPian

The flaps will ruin the looks of the bike, but lets see what accessory Honda is bringing out. Something will come by Feb, for sure. Regarding the D400, you're right to say it's vibey at low speeds, but at 60-80 KMPH it does come into its own. It's very good for higher speeds, and the gears are well matched. I liked the strong throw of its lights. The best in the country
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworkz View Post
Two, you mentioned touring on the highway switching between the Dominar and the CB350 - would you be able to share a little more on the riding experiences? The D400 is very vibey at low speeds, but at higher cruising speeds I've heard that it gets better. What is your take on CB350 vs D400 on highways in terms of comfort, gear shift frequency, power delivery, et al?
CB350 has a weak point and that's the 5th gear. I just dont know what to do with it, since its so tall, so I continue in 4th as long as I need. And when I spot a really open stretch I just gun the engine and use it anyhow. Meteor is better in that department, but marginally
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Another quick question. Comparing meteor and CB350 is the 4th and 5th gear too tall for quick maneuvering in CB350 compared to meteor.
Old 22nd December 2020, 09:22   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CB350 has a weak point and that's the 5th gear. I just dont know what to do with it, since its so tall, so I continue in 4th as long as I need. And when I spot a really open stretch I just gun the engine and use it anyhow. Meteor is better in that department, but marginally

Multiple generations of Bullet riders have run their bikes multiple hundreds of thousands of kilometers with similar power output as the CB350 with only 4 gears.

The 4th gear of the Bullet was similar to the 5th gear of the CB350.

No problem.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:09   #191
Senior - BHPian

When Robert M. Pirsig wrote 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance', he captured the essence of the rider. I have taken Smurfy on journeys, but one thing remains a constant - which is a bath in the morning at 6.00 - accompanied by premium wax and micro-fiber love. When you buy your dream bike, some kind of discipline comes to you naturally. I set up a 'bucket-height tap', just for this ritual. Once in 15 days I use Mannol grease on the chain, and clean the brake discs with STP cleaner. These two products are a must have in your armoury. It's been two months and the bike looks 'showroom fresh'
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_3033.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 22nd December 2020 at 16:28.
Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:13   #192
BHPian

Quote:
It's been two months and the bike looks 'showroom fresh'
Actually looks much better than Showroom fresh.
I had to ask them to clean the bike again during the delivery. The reason given for missing many spots is, "Sir, its dark there".

But your bike looks more premium now.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:30   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Multiple generations of Bullet riders have run their bikes multiple hundreds of thousands of kilometers with similar power output as the CB350 with only 4 gears.

The 4th gear of the Bullet was similar to the 5th gear of the CB350.

No problem.

Cheers, Doc
In any bike the topmost gear will be overdrive. In a four gear bike, fourth will be overdrive. Here are the ratios of my twenty year old Splendor. Not so long ago we had cars with four gears. Ditto with them as well.

I remember there was a three gear Rajdoot during my school days. My uncle had one. Surely the third gear would have been overdrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-spl.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 16:36   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In any bike the topmost gear will be overdrive. In a four gear bike, fourth will be overdrive. Here are the ratios of my twenty year old Splendor. Not so long ago we had cars with four gears. Ditto with them as well.

I remember there was a three gear Rajdoot during my school days. My uncle had one. Surely the third gear would have been overdrive.
Not entirely accurate. Overdrive actually denotes a ratio where you stop accelerating.

In the Bullet the 4th gear still has a lot of punch, but it's the 3rd that's the real meat of the gearbox. But you still picked up a good 15-20 vital km per hour in the 4th ... it was never a cruising gear.

There is a pretty big gap between 3rd and 4th which Bulleteers become very adept at controlling with their right wrist.

The 5 speed box on the LB was brilliant because it was slick and it evened out that big gap.

But if I'm not mistaken, the final drive ratio on both remained the same.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 22nd December 2020 at 16:40.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 09:41   #195
Senior - BHPian

Is there anyone in Bangalore who will do a wrap like Sikar (From the North)? He uses a single piece. I've seen few examples from 'Bonnet and Spokes', but these are all cut pieces. The edges are visibly ugly
Attached Thumbnails
Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_3013.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_3015.jpg  

Smurfy - My Honda CB350 Ownership Review-img_3017.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks