Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 19:36   #2761
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford Endeavour : Official Review

Quote:
This is sure to make an impact on Endeavour given it is almost 90% CKD.
Yes, It should definitely take a hit but given the high localization on Fortuner, they will have to keep it close.
Old 2nd February 2018, 02:49   #2762
BHPian

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screen-shot-20180201-10.42.11-pm.png
Source :Autocar

The 2018 Facelift has been spotted undisguised in Thailand. Updates seem to be minimal and cosmetic, like the two slot horizontal grille being replaced with the new Ranger family’s three slot grille. Wonder if Ford will be tweaking any other features for this mid cycle refresh.

I have been keenly following the Endeavour’s (Everest’s) genesis since its design phase at Melbourne Design Centre. The endy has won my regard and vote since its arrival. After these couple of years of the Endy hitting our shores, I’d like to record small tidbits about the Endy that excited and continues to excite me. Why this long post?
Well, A recent (repeat) test drive on a 3.2 Titanium, has prompted me to sit up and pen some thoughts down. Pardon me, for most of the points might not be new knowledge, to the learned folk here, but for some folks it might be a good read.

The drawing board -Design Nougats- Devil is in the details -

The Everest from America’s Ford was never meant for America. It was affectionately crafted for you and me, the Asia Pacific. This mid size SUV is primarily for the chinese chaps, and those blokes Down Under, and us (and all those ASEAN folk who came for the Republic Day Parade)
(All this , while our US counterparts gladly guzzle away on the full size 7 seater Explorer)

The Everest was the fruit of toil of the good Aussie folk at Broadmeadows, in the northern outskirts of Melbourne. Its design is important sentimentally to the Aussies, as it came at a time when car manufacturing was shutting down in the continent, for good. With production moving to cheaper markets like China and Thailand (where the everest is manufactured now), Ford Australia has more number of designers and engineers than factory workers. The Endy and the other designs from this tiny building behind the now shut down Falcon factory, puts Aussie design talent on the world map. Pat on the back mates.!

image Source- pcmag.com

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-render-.jpg

*FiVE- Ford’s immersive Virtual environment is a VR lab where simulations help in design and interaction with the virtual car and all its components. There are only two in the world, one in Michigan and the other one in Melbourne from where our big boy rolled out. This has kept the precision on the surface of the Endy within the order of thousandth of a millimetre! Thats much thinner than my thinning middle age hair.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-ford-clay.jpg

image Source:motor1.com

*The front 3D moulded front under shield is a lovely highlight below that bold inverted trapezoidal grille. It does more than hold up and bracket the base of the front fascia, it deflects air beneath the vehicle for better aerodynamics. This, and the small ‘kickers’ in the rear that reduce drag are small nuggets of good engineering to make this ‘box’ punch through the air better. Attention has been paid to minimise the drag effect of the large wing mirrors which stand proud like flappy ears on the otherwise clean side. Every little detail like where the body panel would turn has been meticulously sculpted to give this boxy ‘bluff body’ some unbelievable drag coeffs.(segment best, I hear)

*The Endy’s design lines scream ‘H-O-R-I-Z-O-N-T-A-L’ Every thing is wide and broad and gives the planted imposing stance that it boasts of. Inside and out, these horizontal lines are everywhere.(This was intentional, apparently ,by design, to exude the feeling of spaciousness in the cabin) Me likes.

*While, its peers migrate towards more curvaceous forms with sleek fluidic lines sweeping across the body, the endy is too proud to go with the 'flow'. It stands there, squarish, stubborn and solid, making a bold statement.

Mechanicals: The beast’s beating heart.

With the Chevy’s Duramax packed up with the Trialblazer (MuX runs a lower tune?), the 3.2 Duratorq of the Endy seems to be the torque monster in its segment (470Nm) Thats a lot of pulling power. Makes sense considering the Everest is rated to tow a 3 tonne braked trailer behind it. AND it has Trailer Sway Control which senses if the trailer is swaying and responds by easing the engine torque and braking and warning the petrified chaps behind you on the road by turning on the signal lights.

Do I own a boat ? No. Do I have a trailer? No. Is this good to have and good to know. Yup!
you never know, I might just buy a boat and trail it around for the next time floods hit

Economy, fuel efficiency, noise and all those matters of reason fly out the window, as I floor this 3.2 engine. I ain’t settling for the 2.2! The 3.2 is what this is meant for. That alone, is justice.

Combine this brute engine power with the capability offered by the Terrain Management System, the nice steering and I have found my choice of steed to ride into war with. Im not going to off road and do axle twisters with a 40 lac asset. But I would drive, rest assured that It would pull me out of any sane stuff I put it through. The dial-a-terrain switch make the arsenal more user friendly and ready to go for dummies like self.

Another small detail- the Endy uses a timing chain instead of a belt.
< A timing chain will generally last the life of the engine and is more compact but generally a bit more expensive to engineer and add very marginally to the cost of the engine.
Timing belts are quieter and usually cheaper to design into an engine because basically it hangs off the front (usually under a cover) and doesn't require a lubrication system to be designed for it.
(Source: forums.whirlpool.com)>

Would you Like Some numbers with that? 225mm ground clearance and 800 mm water wading depth. Import that accessory snorkel from Thailand and we are ready to go fishing. Who needs a boat!
I know very well, what happens when that water comes knocking, boys!
A link to my personal experience video:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3876472

Space... for my thoughts

Coming from the storme, Im spoilt by space. Space for passengers and space for luggage. I have literally shifted most of my household intercity in that huge boot with tumble seats)
The Endeavour with all 7 seats up, still has some space in the boot to carry some bags. Its a relief, compared to some other SUVs which force you to trade those last two chaps for your precious luggage. The third row seats could use a little better ergos.. I could hardly fit. But at 6.0 its not meant for me, and Im glad I would be driving mostly. (The third row is reserved for my second cousins whom I love so much.)

With the seats down, it would liberate 2010 ‘litres’ of boot space. More simply put, the Endy can gobble 750kg load in the boot and 100 kg overhead load capacity on the roof, with all seats up. Would I like a bigger boot? yes, who wouldn’t? Would the Storme carry more luggage than the Endy? Yes, because in the Storme with the side facing seats flipped up, the floor is all mine. While in the Endy, the height of the folded seats is the price to pay for that front facing bench on the third row.

P.S/O.T: While we always talk about ‘X litres’ of boot space, its a unit I’ve found hard to visualise and compare. Especially with some companies quoting their capacity using VDA (German method) and a few others using the SAE(US) method. (Both of these methods, just use different sized wooden planks, to measure usable luggage space) Kilograms ‘weighs’ in the mind better but of course doesn’t account for luggage shape.<O.T Rant stops.>

Creature Features: The goodies, bells, whistles et al.

This is perhaps one topic where the Endy takes the fight to the big T’s door, kicks the door down and looks for trouble above its weight. Here are Some sweet touches I loved:

-Sunroof/Moonroof: ‘Sunroofs are not suitable for India’ Competition salesman and most good folks make this statement. (Its not taxable or antinational, so they get away with it) I love a good swanky panaromic sunroof. Id perhaps have to drive a couple of hundred kilometres before I can open it and lift my moods. But it would be worth it! It opens up the top and my mind. I’ll have one of those please.!
I saw the overdrive video Fortuner vs endeavour in the frozen backdrop. Anyone who thinks he doesn’t need a sun roof, look at that Endy!

-Global Windows Down.: A hot day and you are walking upto the car, you long press unlock, all the windows roll down, sunroof opens and the hot air escapes from that furnace which would have otherwise fried you black, the moment you got in. Big deal…you say, why can’t I live without it? Of course I can. Lived all my life without it. But these are the niceties you see. Just like the remote rear hatch open and push button seat fold features...niceties...you owe yourself.

-Superb safety kit and a perfect 5 NCAP. A knee airbag for the driver!. God forbid, if something untoward happens and the airbags inflate in the crash, the vehicle dials emergency services using your phone and occupants can speak into the microphones that are already listening. People come to help and they see two numbers flashing on the screen to call and inform. Thoughtful, I say.

-Active Noise Cancellation: Works well and keeps the cabin. tranquil. As Jason statham would say ’I like my mornings quiet’ (and thats what I paid for!) I wonder how many cars above this segment have ANC.

-Semi Auto parallel park assist: Do I see myself ever using this? No. Am I too hard headed and narcissistic to let the car park itself while I sit there and do nothing! Maybe. Is it a cool parlour trick? Hell yeah! Would my wife use it.? Yes, definitely. Should the feature be there when you stash so much cash into a car? It better be.
----------------------------------------
Is the Endy the perfect car in its segment? No! I can readily point out a host of things that can be improved. (starting from simple things like Pushbutton start, a better key fob (Fortuner’s looks slick!) and some changes to the console....and many more

It’s what it is. As it stands there… just a steadfast, solid and unflinching brute.

Cars.., especially for us autoheads, are more than just matters of the mind. These are matters of the heart and those tiny intangibles need to be respected.

The Fact: Toyota Fortuner is the undisputed king of its segment. With the rock solid resale and bulletproof reliability of the T badge, the cash plonked on its bonnet, can be considered ‘investment’ not expenditure. It is a no brainer to pick up a nice white sweet Sigma4 if you are shopping in that segment.
But….. I wouldn’t buy one yet.

With the expo around the corner and a convoy of exciting vehicles ready to pounce on us, one can hardly wait. Patience is a difficult word to spell. 07 days to go! But It’s a good time to pause time still for a moment, and consider a hypothesis with the existing fleet of cars.

If I had to replace my Storme today...,
It would be the Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4x4 AT Titanium.

(and then there’s the small matter of finances,... how much are kidneys retailing for nowadays?)

Here's an old pic, when we took an Endy for a long drive, on a family day out.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-img_3790.jpg
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:50   #2763
BHPian

I want to upgrade the fog lamp and high beam setup of my endeavour but the sales executive is saying that it will void the warranty. I know other members on this thread have successfully done 5his, so can anyone tell me how to approach this. I'd like to upgrade the bulbs of my current and my upcoming endeavour.
Old 2nd February 2018, 16:51   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac.terroris View Post
I want to upgrade the fog lamp and high beam setup of my endeavour but the sales executive is saying that it will void the warranty. I know other members on this thread have successfully done 5his, so can anyone tell me how to approach this. I'd like to upgrade the bulbs of my current and my upcoming endeavour.
I presume yours is a Titanium version. The High Beam Lamp in it HB3 9005 and Fog Lamp is H8.

As long as you use a HB3 and H8 respectively, it does not matter which manufacturer, your warranty can not void. Please check with the Senior Technician in you Service Center or better still, ask for Ford Regional Service person for a discussion if the dealer is adamant.

I have replaced OEM bulb for High beam which was a normal Halogen Philips lamp with Osram HB3 Night Breaker (same specs) and got it fixed in the Service Center itself.

Similarly, the OEM Fog Lamp was Osram H8, which I changed with Philips Crystal Vision H8.

In both cases, I did not change the specs and hence there is no impact on warranty. As I said, both were changed in the Service Centre in consultation with the Master Technician who had no objections to this.

Some uninformed or technically-not-so-qualified service center folks will try to stop you because they themselves do not understand this.

I have even replaced the following - and all at the Service Center with complete support from the service center staff

1. Puddle lamps (under Side mirrors) with LED fitments imported from Aliexpress
2. License Plate LED Lamps - again from Aliexpress
nareshtrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 23:42   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
I have been keenly following the Endeavour’s (Everest’s) genesis since its design phase at Melbourne Design Centre. The endy has won my regard and vote since its arrival. After these couple of years of the Endy hitting our shores, I’d like to record small tidbits about the Endy that excited and continues to excite me. Why this long post?
Excellent write up and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

One of the comments in Autocar write up mentions new engine-tranny options (10 speed). May be the same one in the new Ranger. This should make it very interesting to drive and should give slightly better mileage.

Not sure what other features Ford is bringing to the 2018 model, but after owning Endy for 9 months, I feel the below items are a must for any new edition.

- More storage options. The current center console and dash storage is minimal. They could learn a few tips from Kodiaq. Hard to store an air pump, tow rope, emergency kit etc.
- Birds eye or surround camera. Most cars below this price segment come with it.
- Headlights low beam. The sharp light contrast boundary on the low beam makes you want a higher beam. The light itself is superb. Either remove this sharp ‘light & shadow’ boundary or raise the lights a tiny bit.
- Of course 3rd row access with tumble seats, Push button start. Very hard to locate the key hole once seated.
Czarcarsm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 00:55   #2766
BHPian

Quote:
You can upgrade the bulbs on both the high beam, as well as the fog lamps without voiding your warranty as long as you use something that consumes less or equal power compared to the OEM bulbs.
Are you looking for crazy light output, bling or just a practical lighting setup?
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 01:22   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
I updated both fog and high beam lamps as suggested by nareshtrao and doesn't feel there can be any warranty issues if we change them to similar specs. I also have the same setup as mentioned above and got them replaced at ford service center. It took hardly 10 minutes for the entire process and the guys did without asking even a single question. Do keep the original bulbs safe incase you need them in worst situation.

Although my high beam and fog lamps are working fine but faced issues with led lamps for number plate ordered from AliExpress. They got fused after few weeks hence I replaced them with original ones.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 05:04   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
I presume yours is a Titanium version. The High Beam Lamp in it HB3 9005 and Fog Lamp is H8.

As long as you use a HB3 and H8 respectively, it does not matter which manufacturer, your warranty can not void. Please check with the Senior Technician in you Service Center or better still, ask for Ford Regional Service person for a discussion if the dealer is adamant.

I have replaced OEM bulb for High beam which was a normal Halogen Philips lamp with Osram HB3 Night Breaker (same specs) and got it fixed in the Service Center itself.

Similarly, the OEM Fog Lamp was Osram H8, which I changed with Philips Crystal Vision H8.

In both cases, I did not change the specs and hence there is no impact on warranty. As I said, both were changed in the Service Centre in consultation with the Master Technician who had no objections to this.

Some uninformed or technically-not-so-qualified service center folks will try to stop you because they themselves do not understand this.

I have even replaced the following - and all at the Service Center with complete support from the service center staff

1. Puddle lamps (under Side mirrors) with LED fitments imported from Aliexpress
2. License Plate LED Lamps - again from Aliexpress
Thankyou for you suggestions. I'll keep that in mind. Do recommend the same set-up or is there any better option that I can go with without voiding my warranty. (Please mention the prices aswell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
You can upgrade the bulbs on both the high beam, as well as the fog lamps without voiding your warranty as long as you use something that consumes less or equal power compared to the OEM bulbs.
Are you looking for crazy light output, bling or just a practical lighting setup?
Nothing crazy. Just need an all white light setup to give the vehicle a modern touch and to make it go well with the low beams.
Old 3rd February 2018, 06:58   #2769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post

Although my high beam and fog lamps are working fine but faced issues with led lamps for number plate ordered from AliExpress. They got fused after few weeks hence I replaced them with original ones.
Raise a complaint on the Site with the Seller and they will send you a replacement. I had an issue with the reverse lamp (that too has been changed to led - forgot to mention earlier) and I promptly got one single piece of the pair couriered.

Additionally, I have ordered 2 sets (one as a standby) for each of the replacements given it takes 2-3 weeks for Aliexpress shipment to reach.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2018, 09:03   #2770
BHPian

Quote:
Raise a complaint on the Site with the Seller and they will send you a replacement. I had an issue with the reverse lamp (that too has been changed to led - forgot to mention earlier) and I promptly got one single piece of the pair couriered.

Additionally, I have ordered 2 sets (one as a standby) for each of the replacements given it takes 2-3 weeks for Aliexpress shipment to reach.

Can you post pics of your modifications in action?
Old 3rd February 2018, 11:15   #2771
BHPian

Quote:
Nothing crazy. Just need an all white light setup to give the vehicle a modern touch and to make it go well with the low beams.
You can go for a Morimoto HID setup on the fog lamps for some crazy high lumens & colour matching with your low beams, or you can go for Philips Ultinon LED like Sankar Sir.

For the high beams, I’d recommend you to stick with halogens, since HIDs take a while to fully light up when used, and LEDs won’t give you the proper light output & throw that the high beam is designed for. However, if you’re comfortable with getting the maximum light output after a couple of seconds of pulling the headlight stalk, I would really suggest you to have a look an HID kit with the same colour temperature as the low beams. It would look killer & light the living daylights out of the road at the same time.

Quote:
I had an issue with the reverse lamp (that too has been changed to led - forgot to mention earlier)
What is the bulb type for the reverse lamp, sir?
Also, could you post a picture of the LED in action.

Last edited by noopster : 3rd February 2018 at 16:19. Reason: As requested
Old 3rd February 2018, 15:15   #2772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
What is the bulb type for the reverse lamp, sir?
Also, could you post a picture of the LED in action.
Here are the links for some of the stuff I ordered including the lamps in discussion. I recall someone asking for protective film for touchscreen so added that too.

Hope these are of help.

1. Link for Reverse Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OGA-...311.0.0.gb8ra1

2. Side Mirror Puddle Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-f...311.0.0.NeRZxw

3. License Plate Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-...311.0.0.zNELsG

4. Protective Film for Touch Screen

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...311.0.0.zNELsG

5. Floor Mats

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good...311.0.0.zNELsG
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:05   #2773
BHPian

Quote:
Here are the links for some of the stuff I ordered including the lamps in discussion. I recall someone asking for protective film for touchscreen so added that too.

Hope these are of help.

1. Link for Reverse Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/OGA-...311.0.0.gb8ra1

2. Side Mirror Puddle Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2x-f...311.0.0.NeRZxw

3. License Plate Lamps

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2-x-...311.0.0.zNELsG

4. Protective Film for Touch Screen

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...311.0.0.zNELsG

5. Floor Mats

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Good...311.0.0.zNELsG
How are the floor mats in terms of quality, fit and finish? How long was the delivery time? And is there a similar option that I can get on a local website or a local accessories shop. I don't trust online shopping much and without cash on delivery I just can't take the risk.
Old 3rd February 2018, 22:08   #2774
BHPian

Ford MyKey:-

Though originally meant as a ‘nanny’ feature to monitor and encourage safe driving among teenage drivers abroad, the Ford MyKey solves a rather domestic problem, here in India.

One of my big concerns, when I send my car with a driver for service/valet etc., is how he would be driving it, once out of sight. I’ve once recovered some USB stick with spirited Bhojpuri music and jumpy numbers from my Car when it came back from service.(which Im sure is not mine) The poor chap must have forgotten to take it with him after dropping off the car. I sometimes notice valets in hotels, swerving and zipping up the ramps, as they pull up to the foyer, which annoys me.

With the MyKey, I would just have to hand him the pre-programmed second key and the moment he slots it in the vehicle, it would recognise it.

* If he doesn’t buckle up, the system’s going to keep beeping annoyingly at him.(a six-second reminder chime every 30 seconds)
* The audio system is going to mute itself and refuse to please his ears until he buckles up.
* even after he buckles up, he can’t blare out his favourite numbers on the Endy’s speakers, because his max volume is going to be at 44% only.
* he can floor the 3.2 all he wants but it’s not going anywhere above the speed limit Im going to preset for him.

There’s an easter egg on the Ford Focus in the US, which must be checked if its also there on the Endeavour,
Diagnostic Menu - Holding the trip meter reset button for approximately 9 seconds allows access to a special in-dash diagnostic menu. Here, the driver can toggle features such as desired light levels, switching between miles and kilometers on the speedometer, and even add little details like a voltage meter. This special customization is very helpful if a Ford owner is traveling often between counties that differ on MPH/KPH measurements.

Might come in handy if you plan to do that Delhi-Paris cross continent run!
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2018, 23:07   #2775
BHPian

The EVEREST Paradigm - Global perspective on the Ford Endeavour

As I'm seriously consider plonking insanely scary 35+ big ones on the Endy, rather than on the trusted and equally loveable Fortuner, I did some number crunching to reassure myself if its really worth it. Thought I'd share it with the community.

.....When the new Everest (Endeavour) was launched globally, the previous gen Fortuner was still around. The new gen Fortuner's launch was just around the corner.
It was common knowledge that globally, the Everest was ambitiously placed by Ford, above the Fortuner's segment.

This was because Ford sent the newborn Everest to punch above its weight and rough it out in the big league with the likes of the best selling Prado Landcruiser. (Australia) Ford pegged the Everest as a relatively more affordable and practical family SUV solution to those flocking for the Prado and genuinely believed that it belonged in that segment.

The new gen Fortuner followed suit and launched globally, mightier than ever, with some sleek design cues and a good kit to go with it.

I wanted to check how these three stack up in terms of Price as of today, so got the variant wise pricelist from respective manufacturer's Australian website .

The results are interesting and charted below:-

The Everest, still is pegged in the higher segment and though not de-throning the market leaders, does pretty decent sales numbers.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screen-shot-20180204-10.28.55-pm.png

The full collated table with other dissimilar variants thrown in is below:-

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screen-shot-20180204-10.02.54-pm.png

Shots from the websites.

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screen-shot-20180204-9.42.52-pm.png

Name:  Screen Shot 20180204 at 3.05.43 AM.png
Views: 4549
Size:  174.9 KB

Ford Endeavour : Official Review-screen-shot-20180204-2.47.24-am.png

.....Back home in India, the Everest at time of launch, was launched at a starting price mouthwateringly below the Fortuner. Eventually, though some lower variants went missing from the Ford's portfolio and today, the apex variants of fortuner and Endeavour are head to head at approx 32 lacs.

Carwale price snapshots:

Name:  Screen Shot 20180204 at 10.35.54 PM.png
Views: 4464
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 20180204 at 10.35.29 PM.png
Views: 4475
Size:  78.2 KB

Just hearing these numbers speak, the Everest seems to have come home to us at a terrific price. I checked both the brochures (attached below) to see what all the Everest has been stripped off to become the Endy. Primarily, it seems to have lost its radar based tech,

Adaptive Cruise Control with Forward Collision Alert.
Driver Alert System
Lane Keeping System
Blind Spot Monitoring System (BLIS) with Cross-Traffic Alert.

and a few other features:-

Illuminated Front Scuff Plates
20" Alloy wheels have been reduced to 18 "
Matching Spare Alloy Wheel and Tyre (sadly we get only a spare rim)
8 way Power Driver and Passenger with Manual Lumbar

Considering these are the only major features I could find stripped down in the Endy, I find that Ford did bring it here at indeed an excellent value!
I'm one step closer and surer of the BigBrute from Ford.

[ATTACH=BHFMC0881-Everest-eBro-Sept2017-1.pdf]1724379[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=updated-endeavour-brochure.pdf]1724380[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BHFMC0881-Everest-eBro-Sept2017-1.pdf (1.82 MB, 420 views)
File Type: pdf updated-endeavour-brochure.pdf (1.02 MB, 407 views)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks