Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 16:02   #691
BHPian

Re: Skoda Superb : Official Review

Thanks everybody. If you don't mind, I have a few more queries.
  1. My phone does not support wireless charging, but, a bit relieved after reading this article. I'm on Android 10 now. Youtube videos suggest creating a hotspot, dongle etc. Is there a neater way to do it wirelessly ?
  2. My Skoda App is more to track service history right ? I could not find any other use for it.
  3. I don't imagine doing more than 11000 kms per year. Does it still make sense for me to get the extended warranty ?
  4. I'm considering Skoda's 4 year standard maintenance package - INR 50k. Dealer says any typical annual service would cost INR 18k, so that's a saving of INR 22k over 4 years. What's the catch ? Also, is it a fixed price ?
  5. A tow rod has been provided beside the spare wheel. Dealership did not know how to use it but showed a spot under front left headlights as the place to fit it. How to open that cap ?
  6. Is the parking brake good for steep declines/inclines ?
  7. City use - Would fuel efficiency improve when traction control is disabled ?

Last edited by vinu_h : 17th March 2021 at 16:30.
Old 17th March 2021, 16:58   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Took delivery yesterday.
Hi Vinu,
What a coincidence, I was at PPS Skoda yesterday and saw your car parked in front of the dealership. Car was not decked up at that time, maybe you took delivery in late afternoon/evening.
There were two demo Superb in the showroom and just one Rapid. Looks like Skoda is only selling Superb these days.
Congratulations on the purchase.

Regards.
antardaksh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 18:53   #693
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
[*]I don't imagine doing more than 11000 kms per year. Does it still make sense for me to get the extended warranty ?[*]I'm considering Skoda's 4 year standard maintenance package - INR 50k. Dealer says any typical annual service would cost INR 18k, so that's a saving of INR 22k over 4 years. What's the catch? Also, is it a fixed price ?
As a former Superb owner, I would say take the extended warranty without fail. VAG cars are fantastic to drive, have great features but are NOT reliable. Transfer the risk to them.

Same applies for the service package - it is a no brainier, please take it. If you get a 5 year package, take that too.

Quote:
City use - Would fuel efficiency improve when traction control is disabled ?
Don’t disable traction control on public roads - ever. I don’t know if you will save fuel - but it is not worth risking your life
Hayek is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 12:10   #694
BHPian

Quote:

[*]My phone does not support wireless charging, but, a bit relieved after reading this article. I'm on Android 10 now. Youtube videos suggest creating a hotspot, dongle etc. Is there a neater way to do it wirelessly ?
I don't think this will work because the head unit also needs to support wireless AA, but I am curious to try. Let us know if it works for you please.

Quote:
[*]My Skoda App is more to track service history right ? I could not find any other use for it.
Same here. Some versions of the app have the manual which might be handy, but otherwise not much

Quote:
[*]I don't imagine doing more than 11000 kms per year. Does it still make sense for me to get the extended warranty ?
[*]I'm considering Skoda's 4 year standard maintenance package - INR 50k. Dealer says any typical annual service would cost INR 18k, so that's a saving of INR 22k over 4 years. What's the catch ? Also, is it a fixed price ?
100% yes to both. The standard maintenance package is actually not a saving at all if you go by the skoda service cost calculator. It actually comes to about 48K for 4 years
https://www.skoda-auto.co.in/aid/ser...ost-calculator

Quote:
[*]A tow rod has been provided beside the spare wheel. Dealership did not know how to use it but showed a spot under front left headlights as the place to fit it. How to open that cap ?
I am honestly surprised the dealer didn't know how to do this. They showed it to me when I got the car. Unfortunately I cant remember now, but it was very simple like press and hold to open or something like that.
Old 18th March 2021, 12:53   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks everybody. If you don't mind, I have a few more queries.
[*]My phone does not support wireless charging, but, a bit relieved after reading this article. I'm on Android 10 now. Youtube videos suggest creating a hotspot, dongle etc. Is there a neater way to do it wirelessly ?
Superbs manufactured in 2021 have been updated to enable wireless Android Auto. Not sure if the 2020 model's HU has the capacity. Both the HU and the phone need to support it, and the article basically says that all android devices running 11 will get his feature.

Quote:
[*]My Skoda App is more to track service history right ? I could not find any other use for it.
Yeah, more or less. The latest updates also allows you to track fuel & trip costs. there is also an option for Shopping, which I guess is for accessories. Sadly, it shows no products at the moment.

Quote:
[*]I don't imagine doing more than 11000 kms per year. Does it still make sense for me to get the extended warranty ?[*]I'm considering Skoda's 4 year standard maintenance package - INR 50k. Dealer says any typical annual service would cost INR 18k, so that's a saving of INR 22k over 4 years. What's the catch ? Also, is it a fixed price ?
As others have said, I would recommend you take both. Gives you peace of mind if not guaranteed monetary savings.

Quote:
[*]A tow rod has been provided beside the spare wheel. Dealership did not know how to use it but showed a spot under front left headlights as the place to fit it. How to open that cap ?
I haven't tried, but you should be able to push in some side and pop it open. Here is a reference video for AUDI -

Quote:
[*]City use - Would fuel efficiency improve when traction control is disabled ?
I dont see why traction control would affect fuel efficiency by much in the city or the highway. Traction control would only kick in if one of the front tires run out of grip. Unless you are going to do launches or power slides, I dont see why traction control would make a difference.
DDiSLover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 15:05   #696
BHPian

Quote:
City use - Would fuel efficiency improve when traction control is disabled ?
It is extremely risky to turn off traction control on regular drives. Would suggest you search this forum or Youtube and gain an understanding of how the feature works. It would indirectly improve FE though because you'll probably end up in a crash and the resulting stationary vehicle won't consume any more fuel . Jokes apart, if FE is at the top of your list look at the hybrid Camry. A turbo 2.0 engine isn't really going to cut it.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 19:18   #697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
Let us know if it works for you please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Superbs manufactured in 2021 have been updated to enable wireless Android Auto.
Video posted at the end, lets you connect to Android Auto wirelessly(Bluetooth) even when you are not on Android 11. I've tested, it works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manku View Post
It actually comes to about 48K for 4 years
As per Tafe & PPS, for every km that the car does, it would cost INR 1 to service it. So this package essentially brings about INR 10k of savings.

Warranty can be bought in the 47th month at the prevailing rates. Will put that off for now.

vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 20:55   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Video posted at the end, lets you connect to Android Auto wirelessly(Bluetooth) even when you are not on Android 11. I've tested, it works fine.
That is awesome! Did you test this on your superb? If so, which year was the car manufactured?

Can you share steps involved?

The video you shared also states that the head unit should support wireless android auto, and I'm not sure 2020 Superb's have it.

This was highlighted as one of the main additions to the 2021 Superb.

Would love to be proved wrong!

Edit- just noticed that your car is the 2021 Superb. Guess I hoped for too much!

Last edited by DDiSLover : 18th March 2021 at 20:59.
Old 18th March 2021, 22:05   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDiSLover View Post
Can you share steps involved?The video you shared also states that the head unit should support wireless android auto, and I'm not sure 2020 Superb's have it.
Theoretically, this should work with any car that has android auto and an android phone with bluetooth and android auto app.

Steps: activate "wireless projection" as shown in the video --> Turn on location --> Pair, via BT, phone and car.

The moment it pairs Android auto should boot up. This worked for me.
Old 19th March 2021, 08:05   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Theoretically, this should work with any car that has android auto and an android phone with bluetooth and android auto app.
Correct but with a small correction: the head unit has to have the wireless hardware in the first place. Mny manufacturers are yet to integrate the wireless chip, although the uptake is rapidly speeding up.

For those 'stuck' with a non-wireless head unit, a easy fix is the AAWireless dongle for ~$65-75, although there are supply issues as of now.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

https://9to5google.com/2020/12/14/aa...ngle-hands-on/

https://www.xda-developers.com/aawir...rice-increase/
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 09:41   #701
BHPian

Quote:

...This worked for me.
I got that, but I think you missed the point I was trying to make. I am not sure if the 2020 Superb's HU has the hardware to support wireless android auto, just as 'itwasntme' says below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Correct but with a small correction: the head unit has to have the wireless hardware in the first place. ....
@Vinu_h - looking at the pics you posted, it looks like your car is the 2021 model, with a 2 spoke steering wheel. Skoda added support for wireless charging in this model and it was one of the additions to the minor facelift.

When I read your original post on this topic, I thought you were talking about the HU's capability. I guess you were talking about the phone's ability. Hope this clears things up.
Old 19th March 2021, 09:51   #702
BHPian

Hi All - This option does not work unfortunately for pre MY21 models. Have tried it a while back; don't believe HU for MY20 supports it.

Vinu_h : Congratulations on your new ride.

On a related note, you may find the interface as well as audio quality for Apple Carplay far superior, as compared to AA.
Old 19th March 2021, 11:31   #703
BHPian

Quote:

As per Tafe & PPS, for every km that the car does, it would cost INR 1 to service it. So this package essentially brings about INR 10k of savings.

Warranty can be bought in the 47th month at the prevailing rates. Will put that off for now.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=XZUi6BEnsgs
Roughly so, on service package. And prices / labour cost keeps increasing every year. So the current calculations might not so a substantial saving, considering after considering interest costs. But still, with inflation, better to take the service pack.

On Warranty, would advice to take it. One, about availability of the option at a later stage, might be withdrawn and second the cost increase. Have noticed a 5k increase from 2019.
Old 19th March 2021, 20:45   #704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvel View Post
On engaging parking break or auto hold feature, if the stoppage is going to be more than 20 seconds, better to move to neutral. This will help to keep the DSG safe, in the long run.
Hi Karvel, I believe in a wet clutch DSG, Auto hold shouldn’t be a worry. Here’s an article for reference: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...ld-or-neutral/

Would love to hear the forum’s thoughts on this.

@vinu_h congrats on the new ride
agrajagarwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2021, 01:15   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrajagarwal View Post
Hi Karvel, I believe in a wet clutch DSG, Auto hold shouldn’t be a worry. Here’s an article for reference: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topi...ld-or-neutral/

Would love to hear the forum’s thoughts on this.

@vinu_h congrats on the new ride
Thanks for sharing. Irrespective of the thin film between the clutch plates, is it not better to ease out the pressure on the clutch plates by moving to neutral?. And autohold does not disengage the clutch, as i could understand from the discussion in the thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks