Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2018, 20:32   #751
jpm
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

So far covered a blissful 17,500km except for two incidents, in my Limited Diesel M/T. I experienced two outcomes that were completely different to my initial expectations.

1. On the potholed ring road in Madurai while traveling to Kanyakumari on the day before Christmas, there was a loud thud-thud noise from the driverside which was scary as hell. Turned out to be a 2-inch 'eye bolt with a ring' that had pierced into my right front tyre. Decided against changing the tyre in the sun and tried to find a workshop. I drove past a road-side guy searching for modern tyre centres as I was concerned such roadside wallahs may permanently damage my shiny alloys. But since the big ones were closed on that Sunday, had to return back to the roadside guy. My jaw dropped in surprise as he had my car on an auto-jockey, then pulled out an F1 style wheel gun and took out the tyre in true pitstop style. As the defect was large, he advised me to get it vulcanized after which the tyre continues to perform flawlessly since then. To be honest, there are some scratches but he did his job well.

2. On a different trip while on our way back from our family temple, at a rest stop, the car refused to start and the check engine light came up. So did what any sane man would do. Got out of the car, locked and unlocked, engine came back to life but the check light continued to glow. But of course once I had called JeepASS to fix an appointment the next day, the light went off as suddenly as it had appeared without a trace!

I still proceeded to the JeepASS in the hopes that they would know what was happening. Started well with their service tech who brought a diagnostic laptop that needed to connect to the car and relay the information, presumably via the internet to their HQ in Pune. Right off the bat, he didn't have the password to login to the diagnostic system! Had to wait for 2 hours while he mailed HQ and got a reply back! Then once he had the password, there was an unknown network error, wherein the car had to be physically moved to different areas of their service centre checking network signal strengths; before they found a spot where the connection would work reliably! (much like "You're probably holding it wrong! antennagate").

Then finally after an agonizing 5 hours, the JeepASS delivered the potential good news! My car was in tip-top shape and nothing was wrong. I prodded them on why it has not shown up in their diagnostic logs for which the SA had a standard answer 'It was probably nothing. Perhaps some temporary s/w glitch''. I was not convinced but then was too tired to continue.

The question that has been nagging in my mind is this: Do I continue to drive if and when the check engine light comes up next time? At least if one were to believe the JeepASS, the car will self heal in a few hours and then wipe the event logs!

----
Of course, I initially expected the roadside guy to screw-up completely. More naively, I expected JeepASS to confidently tell me what was wrong that afternoon.

Both parties ended up doing the opposite of what I expected.
jpm is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 10th January 2018, 21:05   #752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
On 3 separate occasions (one of them on the last Sunday evening) I have seen that when there is a long duration traffic jam - like an hour or so of slow or non moving traffic, the brand new JEEP Compasses in the traffic end up breaking down - mostly with over-heating & the owners are standing clueless with the bonnet open.
I recall a video from Kerala in the launch thread where the clutch was burnt and the engine room was full of smoke. That too happened on an incline in bumper to bumper traffic if I am not mistaken.

Wondering whether people are unknowingly lugging the engine in higher gears and riding the clutch given the 350 Nm from the 2 liter. Hope its not something severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpm View Post
The question that has been nagging in my mind is this: Do I continue to drive if and when the check engine light comes up next time?
Good to see you clocking the miles on the Jeep.

Driving with a check engine light is not recommended. Call road side assistance and wait for assistance. Often, it will be some silly sensor which has gone rogue. But its best to be cautious.

In addition, it will be good to invest in an OBD reader to figure out the error code. And an internet search of the code might throw some pointers.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 07:30   #753
BHPian

Quote:
The question that has been nagging in my mind is this: Do I continue to drive if and when the check engine light comes up next time? At least if one were to believe the JeepASS, the car will self heal in a few hours and then wipe the event logs! :(
Happened with me once.While coming down on a curved incline the vehicle stopped(guess it was due to my improper downshifting of gears).So without letting the vehicle coming to a stop,i started it and then the engine warning light came.Called the ASS immediately.After listening to the history the guy told that i can drive on and most probably the light will go off overnight

The next morning the light was gone but i still took the vehicle for diagnostics.they checked the event logs and nothing significant was there but for a couple of them which could've been due to the sudden stop and start.

anyway so far very happy with the ASS here.They're very eager to help

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th January 2018 at 08:40. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
jojoinassi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2018, 13:09   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Surprisingly it has been 4 months for me as a Jeep Customer and till date I have not received a feedback call / communication from the company to ask for my feedback!
Very true. Got mine 3 months back and no call from them to ask if the car was delivered fine, if the delivery experience was at par with industry, is the car running etc. This from a company who sells just 2.5K a month and has all eggs in the Compass basket. This being a new product and a new market for them, I would have expected thorough feedback being solicited.

I just hope that FCA does not become arrogant or complacent, and stay serious about this market. My INR 3lakh purchases had better follow ups to take the sale process to conclusion and hand me over to service. Here, it is "Wham! Bam! Thank you, Ma'am!"
Caesar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 08:13   #755
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jeep Compass wins more awards from Autocar. It has won the Car of the Year, the Premium SUV of the year and also the Viewers choice of the year in the Autocar India awards.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new..._medium=Social
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 11:55   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly it has been 4 months for me as a Jeep Customer and till date I have not received a feedback call / communication from the company to ask for my feedback! It seems most companies are only interested in the pre sale cycle and will follow up 10 times with a customer. Post the sale customers are taken for granted and end up running after the company and dealerships. My feedback to Jeep is to build a proper customer database of the 10000 cars that they have sold already and use the feedback from these customers to improve the product and service experience. The journey for Jeep has only yet begun and the first year will be decisive for long term success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesar View Post
Very true. Got mine 3 months back and no call from them to ask if the car was delivered fine, if the delivery experience was at par with industry, is the car running etc. This from a company who sells just 2.5K a month and has all eggs in the Compass basket. This being a new product and a new market for them, I would have expected thorough feedback being solicited.

I just hope that FCA does not become arrogant or complacent, and stay serious about this market. My INR 3lakh purchases had better follow ups to take the sale process to conclusion and hand me over to service. Here, it is "Wham! Bam! Thank you, Ma'am!"
As per Jeep India website, they are supposed to do this.
Jeep Compass : Official Review-jeep-wave.jpg
I did not get any merchandise / value add as mentioned it, but I did get a call & an email from their customer care after 2 months of taking delivery. In the call I did tell them about nobody giving me a demo / explaining service features / attending minor glitches / gifting a Jeep merchandise. Their response to that was, it was supposed to be done by the dealer.

I got a call from the dealer within 15 minutes after the call, asking if they can send their sales person to come and give me a demo. To which my first question to them was, at the time of delivery you guys never gave me any demo / explained any features and told me that I will be getting a call from FCA within 15 days. And they would come and explain everything, but nothing happened for more than 60 days & what has changed now? They came up stating, that it was initially done by FCA and now they have asked them to do it. I replied to them, stating that the sales person can come if he is bringing the merchandise otherwise its okay, as I been using the car and been to the service station for the first service, where I got all my questions answered. Of course they had no merchandise, so they said that they will get back and its been more than a month & I haven't heard from them

Not sure if any of the Compass owners on this forum, experienced this " Jeep Wave" from FCA / their dealer. This initiative looks good, but sadly even with their limited user base, looks like they have not adhered to it.

Last edited by Vishnuk : 12th January 2018 at 11:59.
Vishnuk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2018, 13:36   #757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
As per Jeep India website, they are supposed to do this.
Attachment 1715587

Not sure if any of the Compass owners on this forum, experienced this " Jeep Wave" from FCA / their dealer. This initiative looks good, but sadly even with their limited user base, looks like they have not adhered to it.
There was no Jeep wave done with me and no contact from Jeep at all! No emails, no phone calls ! I only got a Jeep keychain and chocolate box as the gift merchandise at the time of the car delivery.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 16:23   #758
BHPian

They had come to my place-even though it was around two months after I got the vehicle. They were courteous, asked about the problems I had faced if any. They offered a demo which I declined since I was given a demo on the day of delivery.
They had brought a cake (no merchandise, though).
The only problem I felt was nothing was done about the queries I had even though they had told that they'll call back. So after a few days I called back, but still nothing of use came out of it

Mixed feelings

But nevertheless I'm happy with the service guys. So far they are very eager to help

PS : anyone here going for Jeep trails, Goa?
jojoinassi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 18:20   #759

Saw some black stuff on front wheel, both on left and right wheels; attached are images of both wheels. 2 weeks old vehicle. There is no error/problem indicators on the display cluster. And one more thing, cleaner is not available since day 1, so this part has not been cleaned - which means this could be accumulation of 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2399.jpg  

Jeep Compass : Official Review-img_2400.jpg  

Last edited by Atin_k : 13th January 2018 at 18:35.
Old 13th January 2018, 18:34   #760
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atin_k View Post
Saw some black stuff on front wheel, both on left and right wheels; attached are images of both wheels. 2 weeks old vehicle. There is no error/problem indicators on the display cluster. And one more thing, cleaner is not available since day 1, so this part has not been cleaned - which means this is accumulation of 2 weeks.

Any thoughts?
That's the brake dust. Looks like you've been doing a lot of spirited driving and hard braking.
Gannu_1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 18:36   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atin_k View Post
Saw some black stuff on front wheel, both on left and right wheels
That's normal. The black deposit you see is brake dust
Klub Class is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2018, 23:17   #762
h14
BHPian

7k came up yesterday in 73 days. The compass has been brilliant! Drive stats for Bangalore to Coimbatore amidst some heavy festival weekend traffic.

Jeep Compass : Official Review-26240938_10154951686165583_7971651845025902485_o.jpg

Route taken: bellandur-sarjapur-bagalur-hosur-salem-coimbatore

Last edited by h14 : 13th January 2018 at 23:18.
h14 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th January 2018, 07:36   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h14 View Post
7k came up yesterday in 73 days. The compass has been brilliant! Drive stats for Bangalore to Coimbatore amidst some heavy festival weekend traffic.

Attachment 1716099

Route taken: bellandur-sarjapur-bagalur-hosur-salem-coimbatore
Congrats mate. 18.2 is pretty good. Mine has clocked 4200 kms and give around 9 kmpl in Chennai city and 15 kmpl on the highways with speeds in triple digits. I was told first service is by 5k. Guess it would mostly be check. Hope they resolve the dashboard rattle.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th January 2018 at 12:42. Reason: High speed mention.
Old 14th January 2018, 10:43   #764
BHPian

Quote:
There was no Jeep wave done with me and no contact from Jeep at all! No emails, no phone calls ! I only got a Jeep keychain and chocolate box as the gift merchandise at the time of the car delivery.
No Jeep Wave here either from FCA...it's been over a month since I got my AT delivered at Landmark in Gurgaon.

Though I did get a call from the Dealer asking for feedback of the Salesperson and experience on Delivery day when they also gave me a box of chocolates and a Jeep key chain (which they said was a Jeep Wrangler key chain).

Last edited by Fusion2006 : 14th January 2018 at 10:48. Reason: Minor additions
Old 15th January 2018, 01:01   #765
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik_freaky View Post
Congrats mate. 18.2 is pretty good. Mine has clocked 4200 kms and give around 9 kmpl in Chennai city and 15 kmpl on the highways with speeds in triple digits. I was told first service is by 5k. Guess it would mostly be check. Hope they resolve the dashboard rattle.
I was in a hurry during the first service. Hence did not attempt to get the noise from the meter console checked. Planning to get that checked in the next visit. The first service is a check except for the wheel alignment.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th January 2018 at 12:42. Reason: Editing quoted post.

Most Viewed